If Frogboy decides to release a 1.4 update of Elemental I would like him to consider a focusing this update on a revamped hero system that would would raise the importance of heroes and quests in the game.
01. Quest flag for Hero Only Tactical Battles
As listed in my other post, allow for quests that only hero units can complete.
02. Army Commanders - The hero selected to lead an army would impart upon an army benefits.
--- Heros may have different effects on morale. A warrior might give your units a 8% x level morale bonus, while a farmer or merchanct might give your units a 2% x level morale bonus and an adventuerer gives your army a 5% x level morale bonus
- Army 1 lead by a 4th level adventurer receives a 20% bonus to morale
- Army 2 lead by a 4th level farmer receives a 8% bonus to morale
- Army 3 lead by a 4th level warrior receives a 32% bonus to morale
--- Some Heros may excel in different tactics, and impart those skills unpon those they command. Whom you choose to lead your army affects which bonus your units receive.
Warrior A is skilled at fighting Spiders and those under his command gain +4 dodge vs Spider Attacks
Warrior B knows the weaknesses of Demons and those under his command gain a +2 Attack vs Demons
Farmer C knows how to fight wolves and bears. An army under his command gains a +4 attack bonus vs wolves & bears.
Warrior D is skilled at defensive fighting and an army under his command gains a +2 defense bonus.
Sage E is knows the weaknesses of elementals. An army fighting under his command gains a +4 dodge bonus vs elemental attacks.
So the choice is whom do you want to lead your army? Warrior A, Warrior B, Farmer C, Warrior D or Sage E. You choice could affect the outcome of the battle.
03. Heros with Feelings - Your treatment of a hero may cause them to leave your side.
--- Choose a lower level hero to lead an army and the higher level army may decide to leave your service as they are insulted by being commanded by a lower level hero.
- You select a 3rd level adventurer to lead an army (15% bonus to morale), this may cause a higher rated 5th level merchant (10% morale bonus) in the same army to leave your service with a 40% chance (i.e. 5th level -3rd level) x 20%).
- You select a 2nd level warrior to lead an army (20% morale bonus). This gives a 3rd leve adventurer a 20% to leave your army and and 5th level merchant a 60% to leave your army as they are both insulted by being commanded by a hero of lesser fame.
--- Some heros of the Kingdoms are adverse to the razing of Kingdom cities
- Raise a kingom city and a hero of the human races may leave your service
--- Some heros will only serve those of their fraction.
- Some Trog heros of Empire will only serve a sovereign of the empire
- Some human heros of the Kingdom will only serve a sovereign of the Kingdoms
---- Some heros can only be recruited by a the sovereign
---- Some heros may leave your service if your declare ware on their native fraction/tribe.
- Declare war on the Ironeers and heros in your service of the ironeer tribe may leave your service to join this fraction and protect their homeland.
- Declare war on the Mancers and heroes in your service of the mancer tribe may leave your service to join this fraction and protect their homeland.
04. Not all Heros are wimps
Some heroes you encounter in that appear to be week are strong and experienced. Approach them at your peril.
- Your sovereign approaches hero Arcosh to recruit him. He engages your sovereign in hero's only tactical battle and if he defeats your sovereign in combat demands a ransom of all your kingdom's gold to set your sovereign free.
- Hero Raoze is a skilled thief, if he defeats your sovereign in combat he takes your sovereign's inventory (weapons, armor) before setting the sovereign free.
05. Quests that attract new units to your army
- Recover the sword of Hylarc in a hero's only tactical quest and you receive the services of a squad of skilled horsemen
- Defeat a small dragon in a hero's only tactical quest and you receive the allegiance of a squad of darklings