I just bought this game and I am stunned that it got good reviews. It ignores the basic interface paradigms that have long been proven useful in 4x games.
I started playing and gave up. This game is not playable for me until they fix basic problems:
1. There is no hotkey for selecting the next unit. The only way to select a new unit is to scroll to it and select it. So, if you've forgotten where your units are (easy to do in a 4x game), then this is obviously not a fun task.
2. There is no way to deselect a selected unit. That means if you use the mouse to scroll, the stupid game thinks you want to move the selected unit to where you're scrolling. This is a basic bad design decision.
3. No overall city view. You can't call up a screen that has a list of cities that you own.
4. No idea what a city is producing. There is no indication what the hell a city is producing/researching/whatever.
5. No way to select screen resolution!!! OMFG R u kidding me? Some of us have large monitors, so we need to lower the resolution so the text is bigger. The text is too f***ing small in this game.
4x games have been around for 20 years. It's a pity the lazy designers at Stardock have never played one. Or if they did, they decided to go in the opposite direction of good design. I am pissed. $40 for this amateur piece of crap interface?!?!