I have been playing with 0.85 for a few hours.
Just focusing on horses.
1. Previously a ranch produced 1 horse per turn. I recommended 0.1 per turn. It was changed to 0.5 horses per turn.
I am in the mid-game, produced just a few units so far, and I have nearly a hundred horses spare. Talking to my neighbours, they have hundreds of horses spare. If I were short, I could easily trade for more.
If the idea of the resources is to provide a constraint on what you can build / buy, then the number of horses in the game has to be changed down.
Just looking at the numbers, and the number of units I actually end up building to play and win the game, I suspect even 0.1 per turn might be too much. Can we do numbers less than 0.1 and still have them displayed (say 0.02)?
2. There is an additional production cost to building cavalry. However, production cost is rarely a big consideration for my main fortress. This provides very little disincentive to producing an all cavalry army.
3. There are no tactical penalties for being cavalry. They move faster, dodge missiles better, and for wargs, even have higher initiative (which means, for example, they shoot bows quicker!).
The way horses are represented does not adequately reflect their 'real' advantages and disadvantages, nor does it provide a balanced mechanism for their 'abstract' powers in the tactical game.
- Bonus for spears vs horses (or negative for cavalry vs spears, or both)
- Do not have increased initiative for Wargs (in fact, perhaps have reduced initiative for both horses and wargs). Horse archers are historically useful, but do not shoot faster and longer than foot archers.
- Not able to mix Wargs and Horses in the one army, or nation. Use one or the other. Perhaps the old system of Horses for Kingdoms and Wargs for Empires.
- Reduced (not increased) dodge vs missiles. Also reduced defence against missiles. Cavalry typically avoids missile fire by moving fast, which is an ability they have already been given, and can use it to close with archers quickly, taking less shots.
- The main benefit of mounts is the speed increase and an impressive charge ability. Start from that.