This is me in the debugger so bear that in mind as you watch this:

http://screencast.com/t/QJhXaIbR

Locked Post 52 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 25, 2011 1:36:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
All I see is a 0 length video. Is there supposed to be more?
November 25, 2011 1:42:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome!!  Also, the part about going around killing champions, glad to see its a viable strategy to keep down your opponents, and that the AI is smart enough to pull it off!  Darn Empire, be killing my mans.

November 25, 2011 1:42:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the economy I saw there. Outposts seem very well implemented too. But what about the rebels? I expected to see them biting their thumbs or something at the edge of town. 

November 25, 2011 2:02:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Looks like I'm going to have to fire up an actual computer.. Tablets; so close to the real thing it always surprises when they fail to do something.
November 25, 2011 2:17:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Crono908,
Awesome!!  Also, the part about going around killing champions, glad to see its a viable strategy to keep down your opponents, and that the AI is smart enough to pull it off!  Darn Empire, be killing my mans.

Damn you kingdoms, killing my fallens!

November 25, 2011 2:35:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This looks very nice Frogboy, looking forward to your next video!

November 25, 2011 2:45:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for sharing.

November 25, 2011 2:47:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Grain icon is pig leg?

November 25, 2011 3:41:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting flymar,

True first world! Eat lots of meat, while people are starving.

November 25, 2011 4:42:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the implementation so far.   This game is shaping up to have some real potential.

November 25, 2011 4:50:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope you need to set up a trade route to the outpost to really make it useful.  Setting up an outpost in the middle of nowhere and having it contribute in full measure to your economy without connecting it to your capital seems a little whack.

Otherwise, I like the concepts of the other base economy mechanics introduced so far.

November 25, 2011 5:09:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
I hope you need to set up a trade route to the outpost to really make it useful.  Setting up an outpost in the middle of nowhere and having it contribute in full measure to your economy without connecting it to your capital seems a little whack.

Otherwise, I like the concepts of the other base economy mechanics introduced so far.

I would prefer it if we didn't need to micromanage the trading like that, especially since there's no straightforward way to defend caravans (at least as they were in E:wom). I would suggest instead, that monsters should be extraordinarily aggressive towards undefended outposts. That way, you'd need a military presence to keep gaining the resources (from fringe outposts). Also, you'd be giving up some military power, and/or presenting a viable target for enemy troops.

November 25, 2011 6:17:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting flymar,

LOL, good point.

November 25, 2011 6:45:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Quoting mqpiffle, reply 11I hope you need to set up a trade route to the outpost to really make it useful.  Setting up an outpost in the middle of nowhere and having it contribute in full measure to your economy without connecting it to your capital seems a little whack.

I would prefer it if we didn't need to micromanage the trading like that, especially since there's no straightforward way to defend caravans (at least as they were in E:wom). I would suggest instead, that monsters should be extraordinarily aggressive towards undefended outposts. That way, you'd need a military presence to keep gaining the resources (from fringe outposts). Also, you'd be giving up some military power, and/or presenting a viable target for enemy troops.

But then you end up with global resources again. For things like gold and research that's fine, but what about iron, horses, or special food resources?

November 25, 2011 7:20:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Afaik iron and horses also count as global resources. Food is tricky though. But generally, I just think it makes more sense to defend the outpost than to defend the caravans carrying the goods to safety.

November 25, 2011 8:59:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

wow, can't wait to play this, are the outposts free to build? & I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a 'vault' or armory in cities that allow one to store equipment so heroes don't have to carry around uneeded items takin from other heros/quests & such but that are too good to want to sell, this way if your heroes get defeated they might still be able to 're-equip' with items you've stored up rather than possibly losing everying they have on + all the extra gear they could have as backup.

November 25, 2011 9:54:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't see any resource cost, maybe there is a maintenance cost. But other than that, it seems building an outpost requires a builder unit that is consumed. You can see one unit disappearing when he builds the outpost in the video.

@Heavenfall; that's a bit of a matter of taste then I guess. I don't like being able to build an outpost in the middle of nowhere and having it's resources 'magically' appear where needed, no matter how far away that is or what lies between.

November 26, 2011 3:00:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for that. The video was very cool.Especially considering it was Thanksgiving. Talk about dedicated.

Love the idea of outposts. I do hope that you'll require a road or some kind of trade route to get the resources though. (Like Civ III )

That's one thing that I didn't like about Civilization 5. The magically teleporting resources when trading was done.

November 26, 2011 3:58:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Overall the game looks amazing, but it seems at least one glaring flaw has carried over from EWoM after all: technologies that make little sense. It doesn't really help the immersion factor that you have to learn a technology to recruit champions. Also it's wrong, because only players that focus on that technology tree can get them. It should instead be based on the perception that a hero has of the player: if he's powerful enough (be it with a focus on military, or magic, or economy, or whatever) then even a high level hero will be interested in joining.

I was baffled when this kind of technologies were introduced in EWoM and I am every bit as baffled now. It's a pity, so far there had been no evidence of this kind of thing being in FE and I was reasonably certain they were gone for good... 

I hope they will be removed in the Beta, since really it's the only thing that seems off to me of all the previews I've seen.

November 26, 2011 5:07:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some sort of connection between outposts and capital would be cool but.... If I'm going to have to micromanage caravans I'm not going to play this game. Seriously.

November 26, 2011 5:15:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
My vote goes for what Heavenfall has been talking about with Magog coming second. The 'design by comittee' caravans were already tried in WoM. Let's not redo that..
November 26, 2011 6:46:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't like the caravan idea either. In GalCiv the world wasn't nearly as hostile as here, so the freighter system was quite alright. I still didn't like it, but it was ok. Here, it would be tedious.

I wouldn't mind having a road requirement, or some kind of a connectivity system.

November 26, 2011 8:34:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The UI looks so much better.

November 26, 2011 8:46:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I find the tech for heroes both logical and an important mechanic. Not sure why it doesn't make sense. 

November 26, 2011 11:35:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The WOM caravan system was terrible.  

However, there does need to be some sort of supply line mechanic to deal with outposts.  Not only does it make realistic sense but it makes gameplay sense. 

We shouldn't be able to plop outposts down anywhere we want and receive immediate benefit.  Think of having an open borders agreement with a neighboring kingdom.  I can travel through their kingdom and then drop an outpost in empty territory on the other side?  And I instantly get the benefits of that outpost's resources?  All without creating supply and/or dealing with the giant section of land between my civilization and my outpost that I don't own?  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: