Don't Go to the Steam Forums! Yikes!

By on October 2, 2014 7:22:28 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

XWerewolfX

Join Date 02/2006
+26

Perhaps it's best to not engage the public there any more. Jeez!

I'm thinking a closed EA next time, with just those on the forums! Ha!

Also, I want the minor faction build. I don't care if my computer explodes if/when I run it.

Locked Post 99 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 2, 2014 7:24:07 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

It's not all bad.

It's really odd to see people thinking we're trying to "sneak" Sorcerer King as "new IP".  It's the third game in the Elemental universe. 

October 2, 2014 8:11:38 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It's not all bad.

It's really odd to see people thinking we're trying to "sneak" Sorcerer King as "new IP".  It's the third game in the Elemental universe. 

I saw that. A lot of people just want to write it off as a "reskin" or a "prettier Fallen Enchantress".

I'm digging it, but I worry about its replay value. I realize there will be different classes eventually, but what about faction or unit diversity? I would love to see loads of class-specific units in light of the inability to choose other factions.

What have you got planned in this regard?

October 2, 2014 8:17:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Each sovereign has its own special units.

Also, the minor races are pretty sophisticated but not in the first beta.

October 2, 2014 8:45:25 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Each sovereign has its own special units.

Also, the minor races are pretty sophisticated but not in the first beta.

Oh! Very good! You'll be "assimilating" the minor races, too, right? As in, able to use their units and the like?

October 2, 2014 8:48:02 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Can we please have a development road map for this one? I'd love to know what is planned for this game and roughly when. Maybe even just a list with planned features and a rough estimate on when they'll be implemented.

Been playing some more. I think the normal difficulty is a little too hard. Or maybe I suck.

October 3, 2014 12:31:06 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

For some reason an angry dwarf wanted to post something about lazy devs... not sure what that's all about.

October 3, 2014 1:01:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Steam Forums in general are the new GameFAQs discussion boards.

October 3, 2014 8:56:18 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Alstein,

Steam Forums in general are the new GameFAQs discussion boards.

I will only respond with what I believe to be a specific gif, about what the Steam forums can be at times.

louder

October 3, 2014 10:41:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is a little disappointing seeing people so aggressively expect games to cost nothing.  Sorcerer King is the  result of nearly two years of work by a fairly large time.  The idea that it's "DLC" or something shouldn't surprise me but does disappoint me.

October 3, 2014 10:57:17 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It is a little disappointing seeing people so aggressively expect games to cost nothing.  Sorcerer King is the  result of nearly two years of work by a fairly large time.  The idea that it's "DLC" or something shouldn't surprise me but does disappoint me.

As long as the "squeaky wheels" don't represent the majority, then I don't think it's anything to worry about.

October 3, 2014 11:20:58 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Spoiled kids (body age != mental age). Steam Sales junkies. "If you are not Blizzard/EA/BigComanyNameHere, your game shouldn't cost more than $10 at max" people. "I'm not going to buy your game no matter what but I'm here to make noise" dudes. Etc.

October 3, 2014 11:24:46 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

I saw that. A lot of people just want to write it off as a "reskin" or a "prettier Fallen Enchantress".

Civ:BE is CONSTANTLY getting this. People don't use their brains....

I'm digging it, but I worry about its replay value. I realize there will be different classes eventually, but what about faction or unit diversity? I would love to see loads of class-specific units in light of the inability to choose other factions.

In terms of replayablity I had an idea where you'd have the option to roll for Sorceror King 'traits'. Soemthing that might make the game easier or harder depending on what they rolled. That way your 'opponent' was always slighty different so you'd, in theory, never have an optimal strategy because something could drastically change.

Glass Cannon: Enemy spells do 50% more damage, but damage taken by enemy units increased by 25%

I Eat Spreadsheets for Breakfast: Increased logistics mean enemy units move 25% farther

I Failed Magic Skule I Use My Wand As A Club: Enemy mana and spell damage reduced by 50%, enemy physical damage increased by 25%

Nobody Likes Me Everybody Hates Me: Sorceror King has 50% penalty for diplomacy with minor races

October 3, 2014 11:34:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A lot of rubbish goes through steam these days, and a lot of people get their fingers burned with pre-orders as well as early access.  So you have a wealth of paranoia and suspicion, while a lot of customers try to weed out the wheat from the chaff.   If your games good then they will settle down...........and pay the going price.

October 3, 2014 12:31:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

you should have seen the galciv 3 forum there..

October 3, 2014 4:43:27 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It almost reminds me of the "old days" when we dealt with the "all software should be free" crowd.  Seems like they have quieted down and moved over to games.

October 3, 2014 7:14:59 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Quoting Frogboy,

It almost reminds me of the "old days" when we dealt with the "all software should be free" crowd.  Seems like they have quieted down and moved over to games.

I think it's the iOS effect.  The next big game studio crash is going to happen when the venture capital runs out.  As a practical matter, you can't spend $3 million on a game and sell it for $10 unless it's been designed for a massive audience that will generate ongoing revenue.

October 3, 2014 11:38:03 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It's not all bad.

I don't think that's obvious from the released material so far.  Maybe if it was called 'Elemental: Sorcerer King'...

October 3, 2014 11:40:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like to think that there is a difference between obvious and hidden. By that I mean even if it isn't obvious, that doesn't make it hidden.

October 4, 2014 1:43:38 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Ah, the joy of logic and semantics. There are those who will not understand meaning of words and their gradation.

I can say if you can't find something then it is hidden, even if the location is obvious. But, that does not mean, there was any intent of hiding the object even if there was no attempt to make the object obvious to most people.

Keeping track of the lore, this was pretty well advertised as an elemental game and follows from that chain of events.

So far I'm liking the things in the game, although may I wish for (I know I won't get it), but if my hero or unit equips a shield it shows on that unit? I'm fine leaving the armor the same, but I really like to see the weapons / shield change even if it is the change between 1 hand with sheild or 2 hand sword or axe... no need to go into huge depth with it. (I'm good either way, just hoping)

October 4, 2014 2:11:49 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

So far I'm liking the things in the game, although may I wish for (I know I won't get it), but if my hero or unit equips a shield it shows on that unit? I'm fine leaving the armor the same, but I really like to see the weapons / shield change even if it is the change between 1 hand with sheild or 2 hand sword or axe... no need to go into huge depth with it. (I'm good either way, just hoping)

Heros should definitely change their appearance according to what weapons and armor they have equipped.

October 4, 2014 4:24:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Quoting Frogboy,

As long as the "squeaky wheels" don't represent the majority, then I don't think it's anything to worry about.

In this case, it might.  Due to a huge spike in the supply of PC games, many heavily discounted- the rate at which PC gamers value games has been decreased.  Never buy a PC game over $20 is a meme these days for a reason.

Also , you have to look at the fact many gamers have less money these days due to underemployment.  Stardock is partially insulated from this trend due to who you market to.

October 4, 2014 5:30:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A new fantasy 4x game by Stardock?  How very cool!  Looks great.

Cheers,

Sword

October 4, 2014 7:35:21 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Ah, the joy of logic and semantics. There are those who will not understand meaning of words and their gradation.

I can say if you can't find something then it is hidden, even if the location is obvious. But, that does not mean, there was any intent of hiding the object even if there was no attempt to make the object obvious to most people.

Keeping track of the lore, this was pretty well advertised as an elemental game and follows from that chain of events.

I could have sworn that I'm seeing armor changes on Tandis. Am I seekng things? I just gave him chain mail boots in my game and he's got sliver boots now.

October 4, 2014 8:25:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Those looters and robbers are a bit thick aren't they?  They keep attacking me in their one's.  I smash their silly little faces in.  

Oh, and me thinks toad face is going to blow all the crystals before I can protect even two at the rate that I'm going.  I would suppose that all down to balance thingy.

October 4, 2014 8:38:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You're not supposed to save all the shards.   I suspect random maps will help when they're ready though.  I really don't enjoy playing on pre-made maps, though it's understandable for the early beta.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time: