GFireflyE's LH 1.5 Gameplay Experience (observations, comments, suggestions, etc)

By on December 31, 2013 6:31:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GFireflyE

Join Date 05/2011
+63

GFireflyE's LH 1.5 Gameplay

Good Morning. I am documenting my gameplay in the hope that the developers can use this information to further improve the game in future updates.

I play with mods. Sorry devs, but I'm not about to spend hours of time on a game I consider could use some extra sprucing up content-wise. List of mods that I use can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7k7l5aw0iapr8k/Mods%20Used.jpg. I've made other small changes throughout for balance reasons. None are game breaking. Those changes can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qslmylv4b1o7ar/Core%20Changes.jpg.

ps: To devs: Tell me if these types of notes are helpful at all....

Character Creation

- When creating a character, the Backstory section only accepts a limited number of characters. Recommend a small counter be added to show remaining characters left.

- When creating a character, the "Pick a Background' images are reversed from what the preview shows. (ie, the right side is on the left....and the left side is on the right)

- There is currently no in-game way to edit (or delete) your custom sovereigns + factions once they have been created.

- When selecting my character, the sovereign does not display the intended particle effect

Early Game - Explore - Season 1

- When finding loot, PLEASE install a 3-button set of options.

1. Use - Makes immediate use of the item of loot that you pick up. (whether it's equipment or consumable)
  2. Equip - Opens the equip window so that you can make an informed decision as to what you want to do with the loot.
  3. Ok - exits the set of option and continues gameplay.

- When constructing buildings, Shift-scroll does not rotate the structures anymore. (I do have manual placement active) Was this intended? I really like being able to design my cityscapes in detail.

- On season 3 I hear AI players casting spells, but none are on my screen or have yet been revealed from fog of war.

- On season 6 I hear AI players casting spells, but none are on my screen or  have yet been revealed from fog of war. 

- When recruiting a new champion, the pick should not show up beside your sovereign. The pick should show up at your capital city. (what if you're sovereign were in enemy territory....or in a wildland....you're new recruit would be TOAST, having to make his/her way back to your kingdom alone)

- Is it possible for the Road Building trait to also include Road Removal within it's ability???

- GREAT NEWS - Season 35 and not a single crash yet! Woot! Woot!

- Just watched Ceresa (AI) blindly attack a banshee when she had no way to even remotely come close to defeating it. Wasn't the AI immunities upgraded to prevent this type of behavior?

- Is there a way to change your capital city? There are several aspects that would benefit from such an addition.

1. The 'non-continuous' unrest penalty would change, obviously dependent on ZoC.
  2. If a 1/faction building represented the capital (perhaps a 'Palace'), it could have inherent bonus. Obviously if it were built elsewhere, the first one would be destroyed.
  3. If heroes showed up at your capital, you would have some control over where that capital location was.

- There is still a pathing bug where the circles number of spaces it takes to reach an intended destination is actually 1 less than the number shown. Makes for some really annoying turns as you expect your units to make the intended trip....and they can't.

- If I build a road to the edge of a city, shouldn't the pathing be automatically completed to the city's center hub? As is, this cannot be accomplished because if I attempt to go on the next tile over to build a road, the unit is absorbed into the city. (This may matter in some cases of auto moving units)

- I was just offered tribute from Resolin. I gladly accepted, but there was ZERO strategic reason for them to make this offer. My faction power is 19. There's is 17. They are nowhere on my revealed map yet. I have no troops knowingly near their borders. Why did they just give me a pile of money?

- General Carrodus has walked onto a loot location, but has not looted the location. I suspect he's pathing to another tile, but he should probably still pick stuff up along the way.

- When a unit leaves a city, there should be some intuition for the unit to look for roads adjacent to the city; prioritizing them first if no specific tile is selected.

- When a player has the binding trait the alters, shrines, temples will inform you as to the number of turns remaining until your next spawn of a creature. However, this does NOT happen when said alter/shrine/temple is amalgamated into a city. No information is given in these instances. Is there a way to view this information?

Mid Game - Expand - Season 86

- It would be really helpful if, in the Hiergamenon, there was a search tab in addition to the others. Typing would retrieve information based on the 'titles' from all the other tabs so that you can quickly find information you are looking for instead of having to browse through the tabs.

- The 'Birth of Summer' spell could really use some sprucing up as to HOW the spell works. I'm trying to cast it on all sorts of tiles with ZERO effect. What is this spell suppose to do exactly? (note that I did increase the minvalidtile from 6.0 to 7.0 so I do suspect that this spell becomes less effective as a result)

- Casting 'Tireless March' on my Sovereign caused 3 damage to be dealt. Glitch?

- When shift-clicking units in a city to select multiple units, there cursor is quite 'jittery'.  

- My Eagle Spirit was casting Titan's Breath and was preparing to cast when I used my commander's Command ability to make it the Eagle Spirit's turn again. I fully expected the Titan's Breath to finish casting....but instead the spell was lost. This should be fixed or the Command ability should explain that it cancels preparing to cast spells (which as a side note would be an odd counterspell IF command can target enemies)

- So, as I earlier warned, I received a new hero and my Sovereign is WAY out in the middle of nowhere. Now the hero has to make his way ALL the way back to my territory alone. At minimum, it's a complete waste of the heroes time and at the maximum, he DIES along the way.

and that's game...

Just received an event that poured skeletons into my territory and I had no way to bring my new heroes back in time to fend them off. It's unfortunate because I had a really nice little cove to which my two cities were thriving quite well. I did not expect enemy forces to appear within my 'safe' zone. In one fell swoop, I lost 3 of my resources and both cities. Destroyed. Season 102.

End Game Notes

- No crashes! Woot! Woot!

- Lord Relias (AI) didn't even attempt to build his first city. He died adventuring....alone....

Locked Post 40 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 1, 2014 8:23:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Starting up another game. I'll not repeat my comments from the last game. Setup is the same as I quite felt my attempt was cut short.

Setup

- As an odd turn of events, I have not left the previous game and went to select my custom sovereign only to find that the particle effect IS working! Really cool....but I don't know why it's working now. Decided to exit the game and go back in to see if the particle effect was sustained. Unfortunately it was not and is now not working again. This is perhaps a clue as to why this glitch occurs??

Early Game - Explore - Season 1

- Is it possible to have a new database of city names? The existing ones are ... really bad. Most are unpronounceable.

- Sometimes after switching the queue order of building you wish to construct, after clicking the end of turn button, the swap doesn't occur and you need to switch the buildings again.

- Looking at an Air Shrill army....1 lvl 5 and 4 lvl 3's .... doesn't look that scary, yet it says it's a 'strong' encounter. Sure enough, I defeated them easily with a level 3 Bacco and 2 fresh militia. Do the encounter strength indicators need some tweaking?

- Resolin just settled on a 4/3/0 location....normally I would say that nothing is wrong with that OTHER than just 2 tiles south is a 4/3/2 location!! Completely cleared of all enemies too....as I JUST cleared the area to build a city of my own. I don't mind it at all that the AI steals my city spots....in fact....that's awesome that they make the attempt. What frustrates me is that they choose sub-par locations when, in this case, Resolin could easily have made it to the other location before my settler had arrived.

- Looking at the 'Scroll of Violence'. It says that it grants the Lethal ability.....but if you have not played this game before, you would have no idea what that entails. Recommend a better description for the item. Perhaps "Grants the unit the Lethal I ability (+3 atk)"      UPDATE: Just noticed this is from Hellion's mod.

Well, due to some newly developed mod testing I am going to be doing today....this game has come to a close. Won't stop me from posting comments for my next game though...

January 2, 2014 8:55:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,
Is it possible to have a new database of city names? The existing ones are ... really bad. Most are unpronounceable.

AFAIK, no, but you can do the following:

• You can edit the faction XML to specify a list of city names.  They'll be used in order.
  • The parts ("syllables", etc.) of the names are stored in the game XML, and as such are editable (I don't know if you'd have to edit them directly or if they can be modded via the mods folder.)  You may or may not be able to make them more pronounceable by changing the inputs...I don't think the algorithm itself is in the XML.
January 3, 2014 3:06:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Next Game

- The ancient temple: What does it do? There was some indication that it provides research bonus....but when I look at the research icon at the top, no bonus is applied. I then look at my city that the ancient temple is attached to and find that a 15% research bonus is being applied. Pretty sure this is what the ancient temple is doing. Recommend more description to what the ancient temple provides. Perhaps "Ancient Temples can only be built on temple ruins. The associated city receives a 15% increase to the amount of research it provides to your faction. "

- Fighting a darkling shaman. It casts 'Summon Darkling' ... but nothing happens. Glitch?

- Definitely miss being able to rotate my buildings during placement.

- In the city details screen, most objects give more information when you hover your cursor over the item. This is not the case for city defenders. I receive no popup of more information and all I see is the icons. Recommend giving addition pop-up detail when you hover your cursor over the city defenders. Also recommend being able to click on the icons to enter into that 'equip' screen of the unit so that you can explore the city defender unit in more detail.

- I ended my turn next to a pair of Spiders, expecting to be attacked. Yes I was attacked. Yes I was victorious. HOWEVER, at the start of my next turn, that army didn't receive any movement points?!? Why not? Why should an enemy attacking my remove my movement points? Glitch?

- Loading an autosave from a 1/turn setup still results in a resetting of all movement points. It's an 'in-game' cheat if you will. Granted....I have it set to 1/turn autosave because of the crashes I used to get....and now I don't get any crashes (which is FANTASTIC by the way  ), nevertheless it would be beneficial if this 'glitch' didn't occur.

- Is there any location in the Hiergamenon that describes the distance limit you have for building cities?? I understand that for different map sizes this distance is different...and now I'm at a spot where I want to build 2 cities, but don't know if I have the room. I'm looking through the Hiergamenon but do not see anything that would help me determine if I can build what I want to build.

- When building/expanding cities near hills/mountains, the terrain flattens out. There are still cases where entire hills flatten, giving the illusion that those tiles are now plains. This is confusing for the player as he/she can easily mistake a tile's movement for something other than what it is. UPDATE -- further in the game, I've noticed that sometimes the hills that remain after an area flatten are quite rigid....as if an attempt was made to retain the hills in place. If so, I applaud the effort.

- I am REALLY enjoying the change I made to increase min and max tile yields. With the range increased from 6-9 to 7-10, I am getting fewer locations to settles, yet overall BETTER locations to settle.

- Just completed the 'Leatherworking' tech and I have two sets of 'Destiny's Guard' listed in my training options. Not sure if this is a base game hiccup or something cause by modding....though I don't think I added anything that would duplicate the unit.

- There is a fairly large Syndicate Assassin Army beside one of my cities. It used to be a lair, but when I built the city right beside the lair, the army briefly moved long enough to snatch what was underneath. Now however, it seems that the army doesn't want to ever attack my city. I've even emptied out all of my defending units....all that is left is the city defenders....and they still don't seem to want to attack. They do sometimes move back and forth out of their 'used to be' lair. (I kinda want them too so that I can test out a new mod) Why won't they attack?

- I just had a resource destroyed on me. I wanted to 'Go to' and it very briefly went to the location, but was then directly diverted to a settlement leveling up. Now I don't know where my resource is anymore and will have to go searching for it. Is there a was to smooth out those transitions?

- I often switch over to my second screen to write notes (as I'm doing now) with the game still running in my primary window. However, the is the first time that when I have done so the music all of a sudden stopped. Sound effects still work....just no music. After a few clicks back and forth all of a sudden the music works again. Strange. Possible glitch?

- Isn't the Apiary suppose to merge into a city if a building is built close by? I just experienced it NOT doing that... UPDATE - I think I figured out why it's not merging into my city. The Apiary is associated with another city, despite the one RIGHT beside it being closer.

- I am surprised to note that Ereog's Tower can be built in any city. I would have imagined it requiring a Base Conclave as prerequisite.

- Does the token wolf (Anna) always start at level 2? Is there a way that the token level can be generated based off the hero that uses the token? So for example, a level 5 hero would receive a level 4 wolf token (or something like that). As is, the wolf token is only an early game item and soon loses it's usefulness.

- Can there be a small compilation of random names for the token creatures please? Having all of them named 'Anna' is incredulously lame.

- I find that the summoned creature 'Wisp' has a REALLY strong attack considering that it also has a REALLY strong heal. I would think that this creature would be a healer by nature, and as such should not have a very good attack. Recommend lowering the attack of the 'Wisp'. In addition, it is possible to better hide the 'shadowy' part of the wisp so you can better see the 'glowy ball' the creature is suppose to be? In addition, the 'glowy ball' does not seem to appear in tactical combat. Glitch?

- Why doesn't any summoned unit show their mana upkeep as wages in their unit details? I think it would be very helpful information to know when you are looking at the unit as to what that unit costs to keep in service. Is this possible to add here?

- The Air Elemental seems to be a very strong unit, even considering the summoned units that are obtained after it....recommend increasing it's mana upkeep (aka Wages) from 1 mana to 2 mana.

- I'm on season 97 at the moment and Resolin still only has 1 settlement. All around are excellent locations to settle. Why doesn't Resolin want to expand her borders? I've also noticed that there are several shards very close to Resolin's only city....why were those shards not captured....that's what Resolin does...   

- As soon as I uncovered a Storm Dragon from the fog of war, it seems that my computer is crunching a little more than I presume it should. Is there an opportunity here to improve performance by cleaning up the dragon animations at all? (I'd love to test my theory by killing the creature....but it's a little out of my league at the moment)

- Does the AI ever play with their tax rate?

- Does the AI ever upgrade their outposts?

- Bonesplinter's movement animation seems to slow the army's actual animation movement speed. Is it possible that this could be sped up a bit so that the units move at least their normal speed? (Note that it could also be the Wisp....or the combination of the two creatures that is causing the slower movement speed)             UPDATE: I've found in subsequent games that Bonesplinter's speed slows down dramatically when travelling with slower animated units.

- Well, out of the 5+ hours I have just put in, I did NOT experience a single crash!!! Superb job SD! Very stable game now! Give yourselves a huge pat on the back! etc etc.

January 3, 2014 7:56:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are these comments useful to anyone?

January 3, 2014 9:15:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

- So, I'm looking at the Giant Skeleton unit details. Is he suppose to scale right off the screen? All I see is up to his knobby knees. As a MINOR detail, I noticed a spelling mistake in the Giant Skeleton's 'history' section. Right in the first sentence it should read "...except for this height." (note the t is deleted)

- Had 'the Plague' quest and chose to attempt the cure for once. Wow....500 mana to cast the spell....that's a lot for such an early game encounter. It's taken me the better part of 40 seasons to finally collect the mana. Recommend lowering the amount a tad....maybe 400 mana. In addition, casting the spell after such an EPIC journey in collecting the mana, I was at LEAST expecting the quest to wrap up with that 'finished quest' window and for me to gain a wad of experience; perhaps even an item, and a nice little story to end things off. I feel very ripped off that it just removed the 50% growth penalty and that's all that happened. I didn't even get a sound effect!

- Season 120 and  Resolin has finally built their first outpost.

- Came across that Isu Monument thing (that provides +3 Life). When I have the resource improvement in the build queue, there is no discernible icon representing the build. It's just a foggy white blotch. Suppose to be this way? Also, this huge, beautiful monument has no pedestrians when built. An oversight?

- I suppose not a very big deal, but why do roads help creatures with flying?

- I just cast a spell in tactical combat that has put my mana pool into the negatives. Don't think that should have been allowed.

- I have not pursued it yet, but is the Pyre of Man summon spell worth the casting yet? That it takes 3 level up traits to get to and then 3 casting actions to summon....this unit should be really, really awesome.....yet everything I've read on these forums says that the unit substantially underperforms. Is that still the case? Wow.....I at least expected the Pyre of Man to be a regular summon....the fact that you can only use it in tactical makes it very sub optimal....especially considering it cost 500 mana to cast. ouch.

- The Hedge wall, when building a Pier (or with Parrotmath's mod...the Bridge), does not have a change in look when crossing river tiles. I know....purely esthetic. Nevertheless, if it's easy to accomplish....to make gates or something like that, it would look much nicer on the eyes. (Probably the same for the wall upgrades) https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2ud9gwk81je3eo/Hedge%20Wall.jpg

- Flying creatures currently cannot travel over the chasm tiles. Doesn't make much sense as chasms are holes in the ground....whereas flying units can even travel over mountains....that are large chunks of rock sticking up out of the ground.

- The "Pillar of Grazna" seems really small in tactical combat compared to his strategic map appearance. Oops? Also, similar to the Giant Skeleton, the unit details screen only shows up to the Pillar of Grazna's knees...

- I don't get Resolin at all....they keep complaining that other AI are attacking them....but I see all around them and NO one is. They are just being wimps....and wrecking my diplomacy relations while doing it...

- The Wildling shaman's are not successfully summoning other wildlings when they are attempting to cast the spell. Why not?

- The battlefield that is a narrow forest corridor has a whole bunch of tiles on the north forest edge that are very hard to click on. The tiles are glitchy as all get out to get a lock on an enemy unit. Screen shot attached: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok207hmd6vprcig/tactical%20map%20tile%20glitch.jpg

- I have a familiar, able to cast all the same spells as my sovereign. Normally, when casting summoning spells, a pop-up appears asking me which unit would like to do the casting. Very practical. HOWEVER....when summoning the Crag Spawn, no such screen appears....it forced my sovereign to cast the spell....whereas I wanted my familiar to cast it......as a result, I had to cast it again, to which the familiar then cast the spell. glitch?

- Just completed Ereog's Tower. It seems that two of the particle effects that the monk statues are suppose to be holding do not show up. Glitch? There are two other monk statues by the front door that also do not have particle effects....are they suppose to as well? https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2dtvq1lyheh7xt/Ereog%27s%20Tower.jpg -- UPDATE -- loaded my game later in the day and noticed that all the particle effects are now showing. What would cause them not to show occasionally?

- The Foundry resource improvement has a significant amount of smoke particle effect on the tile. Recommend removing one of the middle ones so that the tile looks a little more clean. Also, I see no pedestrians on this tile. Missed? (perhaps put a 'chimney sweeper' pedestrian cleaning out one of the stacks and is why no smoke is coming out)

- There should be no reason for the AI to build outposts and cities one square away from each other.

- LOLZ. Came across the 'Amethyst Automation'. In the strategic map view, his sword is sticking out....quite phallus like...perhaps this is in error? https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiv13aq65qekvpv/Amythist%20Automation.jpg. In addition, in tactical combat, the amethyst automation isn't that large...in comparison to his strategic map view. After fighting the Amethyst Automation, I was a little disappointed with the quest reward. I thought I would have been given some options for what to do with the golem...

- The level 4 Prison upgrade to the base fortress does not have any pedestrians. Are there other city upgrades that are also missing there pedestrians?

- I just had an entire mountain range flatten by expanding my city into a tile next to the range. It's looks quite ugly in that you cannot walk on the 'flat' land because it's actually mountains....even though it looks nothing like mountains. Is there a way to make the 'flattening' of mountain tiles more rigid? Make them so that they won't give there shape at all.....even if it means that the city begins to build 'into' the hillside???

- REALLY ANNOYING -- When following a road, the pathing should shouldn't diverge you OFF of the road if you come to an AI border. At the VERY least, it should stop you're movement so that you can make a decision as to whether you want to enter the AI's territory or not....

- Season 190 and Resolin has FINALLY built there second city.

- The Air Temple does not appear to have any pedestrians associated with it. missed them?

- There is a medium 'ancient ruins' quest where 5 skraths are awaiting in a "Beneath the Cellar" quest, ready to kick your butt. This should be a strong quest....

- IMPORTANT - I really think there is something wrong with the random loot generator in the game. It really appears like different types of loot 'clump' together more. For example....I just got 2 Studded Collars in a row.....that NEVER happens...there have been other times too.....many bracers.....many assassin's gear....many axes....etc....just seems like it's not really 'random' ... more like 'cycles through'. UPDATE -- again....I just received 3 Silver flutes in a row. why??

January 3, 2014 10:46:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow these are really good observations. I hope the devs take a look at it.

Regarding walking to a loot location but not picking up the loot, I've experienced this before myself. If I landed on the location while on the way to another point, I would not trigger that location. So sometimes I need to walk out of the location and revisit it to trigger it. It would be nice to have a way to revisit the location you currently are at (HoMM3 had this quick revisit location button implemented via a space bar, so you didn't need to spend movement points walking out and back in to trigger it).

I sometimes notice the game bugging out during tactical combat when I'm viewing unit details. It results in my units having their turn but not being able to do anything except Pass, which gets quite annoying.

January 4, 2014 12:07:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rotlung,

Wow these are really good observations. I hope the devs take a look at it.

Thanks. So do I...though I've just been writing as I've been playing....a 'first impressions' type of response as I go through the motions. It probably reads better as a journal rather than a critique...

January 6, 2014 8:51:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,
LOLZ. Came across the 'Amethyst Automation'. In the strategic map view, his sword is sticking out....quite phallus like...perhaps this is in error? https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiv13aq65qekvpv/Amythist%20Automation.jpg. In addition, in tactical combat, the amethyst automation isn't that large...in comparison to his strategic map view. After fighting the Amethyst Automation, I was a little disappointed with the quest reward. I thought I would have been given some options for what to do with the golem...

Just FYI - this unit is not in the default game, and comes with Hellions' Champion Bonanza mod...might want to post in the thread for that mod here:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/445026/page/1

January 6, 2014 9:33:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Crastiloowa,

Quoting GFireflyE,
reply 5
LOLZ. Came across the 'Amethyst Automation'. In the strategic map view, his sword is sticking out....quite phallus like...perhaps this is in error? https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiv13aq65qekvpv/Amythist%20Automation.jpg. In addition, in tactical combat, the amethyst automation isn't that large...in comparison to his strategic map view. After fighting the Amethyst Automation, I was a little disappointed with the quest reward. I thought I would have been given some options for what to do with the golem...

Just FYI - this unit is not in the default game, and comes with Hellions' Champion Bonanza mod...might want to post in the thread for that mod here:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/445026/page/1

whoops....thanks for the heads up on that one.

I did say in the op that I play with mods.

January 6, 2014 6:13:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First of all, great job with the thread. I used to be one of its silent readers.  

Quoting GFireflyE,

- LOLZ. Came across the 'Amethyst Automation'. In the strategic map view, his sword is sticking out....quite phallus like...perhaps this is in error? 

Now now, the AA is holding the sword at chest level, surely we're still within the PG safety limits. And nope, it's working as intended or rather as the "golem animation pack" works. I could have given it a standard hero animation pack but that would have defeated the whole "automaton" demeanor.

Quoting GFireflyE,

In addition, in tactical combat, the amethyst automation isn't that large...in comparison to his strategic map view. 

That's the result of a compromise between size, cutscenes and the unit window. If I had given the AA a larger tactical size, you would only see its legs in the unit window (such as you remarked for the Giant Skeleton or the Pillar of Grazna). As for its strategic size, I think it looks more imposing as a towering construct than as a diminutive little purple critter. It's all about showing off.

Quoting GFireflyE,

After fighting the Amethyst Automation, I was a little disappointed with the quest reward. I thought I would have been given some options for what to do with the golem...

Well doing that would have resulted in a copycat event with the Pillar of Grazna. Sure, a nice rare item would have been better but no, your only option shall be to tear it apart and sell it to the jewelers. A reward of gold it is.

January 6, 2014 6:34:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hellions,

First of all, great job with the thread. I used to be one of its silent readers.  

and *snip*

Thanks for dropping by. Let's me know others are reading and I'm not wasting my time...

I also appreciate your justification over the Amethyst Golem....you most certainly didn't have to tell me your reasoning.

I did find the Amethyst Golem much harder to deal with during the combat than the Grazna Pillar......most likely the inherent reason why I figured I'd be able to get control of it afterwards...

One suggestion -- increase the gold reward a bit. It's a late game quest. It could easily be 500 or even 1000 gp.... -- it's just a thought.

Thanks again.

January 7, 2014 8:52:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,
One suggestion -- increase the gold reward a bit. It's a late game quest. It could easily be 500 or even 1000 gp.... -- it's just a thought.

Seconded.

Personally, I was very sad when I, while playing the CoS Golem faction, I spent a huge amount of effort dropping the AA's magic resists with repeated shadowblasts and then tried to use the "Machinelord" capability to "tame" the AA - but alas, apparently it's not correctly tagged as a construct for the purposes of CoS.  Was really hoping for an Ascian style conversion...

Whoops, here I am ignoring my own advice from above

January 7, 2014 4:53:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Crastiloowa,

Seconded.

Personally, I was very sad when I, while playing the CoS Golem faction, I spent a huge amount of effort dropping the AA's magic resists with repeated shadowblasts and then tried to use the "Machinelord" capability to "tame" the AA - but alas, apparently it's not correctly tagged as a construct for the purposes of CoS.  Was really hoping for an Ascian style conversion...

Well I just checked the CoS compatible version. The AA is qualified as a Construct and has the same extra CoS tags as the standard golem monsters. Meaning I have no ready explanation for the taming failure unless it still resisted the spell? An XML mystery in need to be solved.     

Quoting Crastiloowa,

You're right, sorry GFireflyE for going off-topic but then again it is your fault.

January 7, 2014 4:58:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hellions,

Quoting Crastiloowa,
reply 12

You're right, sorry GFireflyE for going off-topic but then again it is your fault.

Not a problem....I'll get back to 1.5 observations soon enough.

January 8, 2014 9:44:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does anyone know if this a a bug or WAI?  

When I put an army containing tamed creatures into a city, all the creatures go away, poof, vanish.  OK,  I'm a tyrant, those civilians are starving (that's how we like 'em), but really, I don't let them have arms and they're bringing down a cave bear?  Let alone the harridan I brought last time in a desperate last-ditch attempt to save my capital from Umbar forces.  I mean, you just have to look at the damn thing to know it does NOT taste like king crab.  

Plus my secret police would've dealt with such things.  

What happened to my bug?  

January 8, 2014 9:56:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah it's a bug, recently introduced in 1.5.

January 8, 2014 10:11:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

- I ended my turn next to a pair of Spiders, expecting to be attacked. Yes I was attacked. Yes I was victorious. HOWEVER, at the start of my next turn, that army didn't receive any movement points?!? Why not? Why should an enemy attacking my remove my movement points? Glitch?

- Why doesn't any summoned unit show their mana upkeep as wages in their unit details? I think it would be very helpful information to know when you are looking at the unit as to what that unit costs to keep in service. Is this possible to add here?

- The Air Elemental seems to be a very strong unit, even considering the summoned units that are obtained after it....recommend increasing it's mana upkeep (aka Wages) from 1 mana to 2 mana.

- if a spider Webs one of your units in combat, you lose all movement on the overlandmap as well. Not sure if it's a bug. It sure is annoying!

- All Summons cost the same, 1 mana. Still, I agree it would be nice to see it displayed.

- Ssh, don't tell the Devs! The Air Elemental by itself makes the Summoning tree viable. If it ever gets nerfed, both Ceresa and Procipinee will be out of a job, basically.

January 9, 2014 6:10:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Deleted post.

January 10, 2014 6:43:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can confirm that the AI has a tendency to throw itself against Banshees despite not having the means to fight them. It does hurt the early AI performance when it loses its early troops in a fight it clearly had no chance of winning.

I also agree that the Air Elemental summon is a little too good. Rather than raise its maintenance cost, I think its mana cost should be raised. It's so good that I even use it as a tactical summon and place it in the middle of enemy troops to knock them down before destroying them.

Some of the later summons might need to be buffed too to compensate, otherwise most of us would probably just rely on the Air Elemental most of the time

January 11, 2014 12:51:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Keep it up!

Especially share your gripes about flying units.  Sad that MOM had it figured out 20 years ago

January 11, 2014 8:56:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NaytchSG,

Keep it up!

Especially share your gripes about flying units.  Sad that MOM had it figured out 20 years ago

Alas, it wouldn't be fair for me to continue writing them down because I am currently playing with DSRaiders AIPlus mod. MUCH changes....I think too much for me to write comments.

However, if I received acknowledgement from SD that this type of commenting provides use for future patching, I'd gladly set aside the AIPlus mod and comment further. In fact....if I knew SD was using the material, I probably wouldn't even mind playing a few vanilla games without any mods and provide this kind of commenting.

Anything to make 1.6 a better game.....call it the 'polish patch'

January 12, 2014 9:06:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also play with dsraider's AI and new factions mods, abob101's Demon and Wizards mod, your version of the unique city defenders, parrotmath's snaking, swamp tiles and armored militia mods, and Hellion's Black Market Bazaar.  (ooh ,Hellion's just updated with more stuff  )!

Despite playing with a few mods, I think your insights into fundamental aspects of the game remain valid.  And that is stuff it would be great for the devs to tweak as the modders might not have access to some of the core game code. 

So thanks for taking the time to write this stuff down!

January 13, 2014 9:03:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. In unit designer , it should warn you if you already have unit with that name(even if it is not visible cause of research) and don't allow  you to have two units with same name(for example spearman , spearman).

2. retiring unit don't retire the unit next time when i start new game 

3. Editing unit creates a new unit with same name it does not override existing unit.

PS. Also i'm quite new to this game so i must ask if steal spirit from Henchman you get advanced magic skill with just one spell, for example advanced  fire magic with no fireball, for me i think it must be novice fire magic as when steal spirit from Heroes...

January 13, 2014 9:29:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NaytchSG,
I also play with dsraider's AI and new factions mods, abob101's Demon and Wizards mod, your version of the unique city defenders, parrotmath's snaking, swamp tiles and armored militia mods, and Hellion's Black Market Bazaar.  (ooh ,Hellion's just updated with more stuff  )!

if you don't mind....toss me some balance notes the unique defeneders. An outside opinion would be very helpful...

January 13, 2014 9:52:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will try to get invaded this week 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000765   Page Render Time: