CoS, multiple mods changing core files, and load order of mods

By on September 8, 2013 9:20:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

abob101

Join Date 11/2010
+49

Hi all,

Seems that there is this mod called Children of Storm that everyone is rather fond of and as such there is significant demand for compatibility

So... I'm wondering what happens when you start getting multiple mods changing the same core files.  

Going by this post:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/434780/page/1/#3378469

We know that an AbilityBonusOption does not lose previously defined tags.... so if Mod A changes a core AbilityBonusOption to add an additional GameModifier... and Mod B changes the same AbilityBonusOption to add another additional GameModifier... then both changes should be enabled and work?

So, what about something like a UnitType where all tags are lost when overwritten (except maybe except <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>).  If Mod A (eg. CoS) has a new definition for a UnitType.... if Mod B also redefines the same UnitType, what happens?   Presumably whichever version is loaded last will be the one used in game.... does anyone happen to now exactly how the load order works?  Alphabetic?  Something more scientific?

Thanks.

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 8, 2013 11:14:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
September 9, 2013 9:05:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome.

OK next question..... regarding the BG stats, I notice that for Monsters you only have them in the Level 1 milestone.... is that enough for them to pickup all the unitstats?  I would have thougt they needed go in at each milestone level....?

Thanks.

September 9, 2013 10:17:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Having them in one is enough, unless you want them to change depending on what level the unit spawned in. And if you set up stats at level 1 and 20, and spawn it at lvl 13, it will calculate what it "ought" to be in between.

October 2, 2013 10:55:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

HF,

Just looking into this further.  What I want to do is avoid having a "COS compatible" version of my (summoning) mod separately.  Been looking at this though... and i'm thinking of adopting the BG Unitstats library regardless... because it will let me do a few things that otherwise aren't possible.

So i'm thinking of just including the library in my mod also.  That should be fine right.... to have 2 mods install with the library in each?

Question though... about the DLC, doesn't look like you have any of the DLC units or monsters (and maybe other relevant stuff) in the unitstat library....  I'm thinking that some of the monsters etc in the DLC wouldn't be fully compatable with COS and/or the library, or did I miss something? 

Thanks.

October 2, 2013 11:20:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Correct, I've talked to Derek Paxton about this but there's no resolution in sight. Unfortunately I can't just include them since that'd be giving away DLC content in a mod that doesn't require the DLC.

As for 2 mods installing the library, no problem there. The game will load the latest version if there are several installed.

At this point CoS and the unitstat library are in "maintenance mode", meaning I'm not developing it further but keeping it up-to-date for new patches (and DLC where possible). From the players' side, there doesn't seem to be much interest in playing the mod either (88 unique downloads in a week, down from 100 downloads a day around FE:LH release). So I guess it is understandable that the devs don't want to put effort into changing the game's content for this.

If there's a sequel to FE:LH, I hope that they plan for some kind of script access for modders. I'm building mods for other games and it is so much fun to do when the only limit is what you can come up with in your mind. Overall I have to say the mod support for FE:LH has been subpar, which all turns into a downward spiral of few players building impressive mods and few players using mods and the devs not allocating the proper resources for it.

October 3, 2013 8:13:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Correct, I've talked to Derek Paxton about this but there's no resolution in sight. Unfortunately I can't just include them since that'd be giving away DLC content in a mod that doesn't require the DLC.

Hmmm, bugger.  I would have thought that adding in say the unit defs would be fine (so that the unitstats can be added) because from memory most (all?) of the new units/monsters don't appear except via quests and such.  So if you don't have the Quest Defs from the actual loot pack they wouldn't appear anyway.   Details I guess.

Quoting Heavenfall,
As for 2 mods installing the library, no problem there. The game will load the latest version if there are several installed.

Will give it a go shortly thanks.

Quoting Heavenfall,
At this point CoS and the unitstat library are in "maintenance mode"

Well you've earned a break I would have though, seems you've been at it a while....   

88 downloads a week (assuming they are new players) seems to me a reasonable volume though this far after the release of LH.

Quoting Heavenfall,
If there's a sequel to FE:LH, I hope that they plan for some kind of script access for modders.

Absolutely.  I love this game..  The core of it is great, and the basics are so easy to mod.... but it would be awesome if it was easier/possible to dig a bit further under the covers.

October 3, 2013 12:07:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hear your frustrations.   I had to step back from the modding scene because of the frustrations I had when making the quest wizard a while ago.   However, I just wanted to chime in that I have had so much fun playing with the mods that you two (abob and HF) have come up with that I had to come and say thank you again.    

October 4, 2013 11:15:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I want to add my thanks also, the COS mod is the only reason I am playing again.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time: