The best thing about Fallen Enchantress

By on November 18, 2012 9:46:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Valentine82

Join Date 04/2006
+3

Is that it inspired me to play Shadow Magic again.

I know this makes some of you mad but Stardock needs to see the comparison brought up some more because obviously it hasn't sunken in and this isn't the opinion of just one guy on the internet, this is a recurring comparison and it's never a good one for Fallen Enchantress.

Locked Post 45 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 18, 2012 9:55:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is beyond me why you keep coming to these forums if the game is so abhorrent to you. We get it! You don't like some things. Move on with your life.

November 18, 2012 10:00:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

at least the AI can settle cities in FE

November 18, 2012 10:04:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
It is beyond me why you keep coming to these forums if the game is so abhorrent to you. We get it! You don't like some things. Move on with your life.

I agree...

November 18, 2012 10:19:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Emperor_Nero,
Quoting Heavenfall,
reply 1

I agree...

absolutely...

And, valentine, its not about going mad or something. You can go on with your bashing as long as the mods let you do this. But are you not able to accept, that some people love this game and you don´t? What is the problem? Go on, play another game...it isn´t that diffcult. Just try it.

November 18, 2012 12:48:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Comparisons are for who wants to compare.

If you blind yourself that way, you will not find what FE got to give.

Don't like some things of the game? Yeah. Some could be improved? Sure.

But in overall, and really after 1.02, game is ver nice to play. And I like the feeling of looking many things that are getting improved with every new patch...

If anyway you don't like it, there are plenty good ones now and a lot to come.

November 18, 2012 1:26:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

SM AI is absolutely totally fully BAD. Even MoM AI can give you more of a challenge ! I played at max difficulty (emperor ?)on huge maps with tons of preset cities and it barely gave me a sweat... If you play on a map with some room to settle, well, the AI won't !

The only hard maps are those fan made with an ubber huge nonplayable faction. And replay value on those is small.

November 18, 2012 1:42:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
It is beyond me why you keep coming to these forums if the game is so abhorrent to you.

Because Stardock pulled a Peter Molyneux and conned money out of me when War of Magic was released, and all the potential for a much better game is here just buried beneath the surface, and I want to see this game become a better game.

Quoting Heavenfall,
We get it!

I don't care whether you get it, I want Stardock to get it. Stardock should be taking notes from your work, you put the core game to shame.

Quoting Heavenfall,
You don't like some things.

Like being mislead about what I'm buying then seeing a potential masterpiece fall short of it's potential in every way despite the potential to be massively improved with minimal effort.

Quoting Heavenfall,
Move on with your life.

No. Pay me to cover my losses and I'll go away. Until then, I have negative feedback, I have hate, and I have nerd rage, and Stardock needs to freaking hear it.

November 18, 2012 1:45:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting crimsongekko,
at least the AI can settle cities in FE

The AI Can Settle Cities in Shadow Magic with a Fan Patch.

November 18, 2012 1:54:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lantros,

And, valentine, its not about going mad or something.

Like getting ripped off?

Quoting Lantros,
You can go on with your bashing as long as the mods let you do this.

Oh they're free to bury their head in the sand and drown out negative feedback if they want. Hey I know, let's all not say anything negative then surly things will improve. I'm doing this because I care about the quality of the game, I see the potential this game falls short of and I see how easily it could be harnessed because modders have already shown Stardock how to do it.

Quoting Lantros,
But are you not able to accept, that some people love this game and you don´t?

Some people loved Duke Nukem Forever too. People will defend any game from criticism and oppose all efforts to improve it and shelter any company from negative feedback they need to hear.

Quoting Lantros,
What is the problem?

The problem is I was ripped off when I bought War of Magic, the problem is I wasn't told I was paying a premium price for a Beta, the problem is this game has massive potential it refuses to live up to and I can't stand sitting by and watching a would be masterpiece scrape by with just a few easy to please fans on a forum falling short of it all.

Quoting Lantros,
Go on, play another game...it isn´t that diffcult. Just try it.

I already am, and I'm not going away.

November 18, 2012 2:08:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[e digicons]:'([/e]   What a sad poor baby...  I feel so very sorry you. It's almost as if you've never purchased any game before, because they all fall short of their potential.  They all do not live up to their hype, every game creator misleads their customers in one way or another.  There is no such thing as the perfect game, because what is perfect for one person, isn't so perfect for another.  Accept your loses and just move on.  I don't think my budget can last the sheer amount of tissues I'm wasting crying for your sadness.

November 18, 2012 2:29:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizaerd,
What a sad poor baby...  I feel so very sorry you.

I feel sorry for you, it's like you feel an obligation to defend the industry from negative feedback.

Quoting Wizaerd,
It's almost as if you've never purchased any game before, because they all fall short of their potential.  They all do not live up to their hype, every game creator misleads their customers in one way or another

Don't pull a Peter Molyneux and expect everyone to just shut up and go away after you've taken their money.

Quoting Wizaerd,
There is no such thing as the perfect game, because what is perfect for one person, isn't so perfect for another.

We're not talking about some impossible fantasy of a perfect game, we're talking about possible improvements that modders have already proven possible that would address a recurring theme in the reviews.

Quoting Wizaerd,
Accept your loses and just move on.

No. I'm not going away, I'm not going to stop talking about how this game could be improved, and I'm not going to stop talking about how and where it falls short of it's potential, everything I'm saying I've seen in reviews and posts all over, I'm not letting it go, and you can learn to deal with it and ignore me if seeing negativity breaks your heart so bad.

November 18, 2012 2:50:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fallen Enchantress a really cool game. I don't quite play it as much as FFH, but thats partly due to FFH having MP, and me being more used to modding FFH

FE is a great game, and it can do many things FFH cannot.

November 18, 2012 3:33:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem is until now your are not constructive. You are only negative, valentine. And this helps nothing. Tell us what you do not like and how it should be changed. And try to think "in FE box" and not "How to change the game, so it is like *insert your favorite 4x fantasy game here*" 

November 18, 2012 4:11:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stardock didn't take your money.  You gave it to them.  You made an educated decision to buy a game, whether it was still in beta or at release.  You act like they came into your basement and demanded money from you.  No one forced you to buy it.  All you had to do was look at a couple of reviews before your bought it to see if this game was for you.  A little investigation goes a long way.  You're entitled to talk about any criticism(s) that you want, but there's a way to go about it where you don't come off as a tool.  Like others have said, if you're constructive about your criticism, and have valid ideas, the developer and community will have real conversations about them.

November 18, 2012 4:37:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Behold the last troll of WoM. A troll to end all trolls. The last one that is sticking around to the bitter end. One that can somehow justify being stolen from even though his money was offered back to him. Even though a new game was given to him. Even though the new game kicks some serious ass. Even though it's been years. Why does he stay? Because he likes the idea of games more than playing them of course. This leaves him with a great deal of extra time in his life. What does he spend that extra time on? Making the world a better place? Exercise? Therapy? Family? Getting laid? No! Not this troll. This troll spends all the extra time he could be spend having a life on the all important task of posting negative comments in every thread related to Elemental. Do not mistake my observations for insult. Truly it is unique and rare to live in such a wonderful society where a human being can waste their entire life on something so trivial. Never before has there been a more trivial and unimportant thing to do. And never before has a society's decadence allowed such solidified devotion to the task of trolling. First World Problems have never been this big. That is not to say the individuality of the troll is not also of great worth. To devote oneself to one single task in total disregard for logic or his own long term existence is a true sacrifice. I say to you all. Do not discourage this saint of the golden age of America. Nay, praise his self-destructive obsession. Stand in awe of his sacrifice. Love him as you love your own. He will be sorely missed when our society collapses and he has to actually contribute to his own existence or give up. And morn the impossibility of his procreation. For trolling this hard guarantees no chance of offspring. 

Valentine82, I salute you! 

November 18, 2012 11:00:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

great post Seanw, I'm sure Valentine will end up in a museum somewhere ... maybe as "greatest artists of our time", or something similar. "The Hall of Troll Fame"?

November 18, 2012 11:43:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sean needs to Mod him as a new faction.

November 18, 2012 11:48:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I an already planning a parody of Valentine in one of my quests. Needless to say it will be quite comical. He will be a master wizard that has spent so long writing critiques of magic, he has forgotten how to use it. His primary weakness is the silence spell.

November 18, 2012 11:59:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The thing I like best about Fallen Enchantress... its hard to say its got a lot of good features. 

The fact magic is a useable part of the game, that it has an impact and makes a difference and yet at the sametime it is so dominating that you dont need regular troops.

I love the fact that it has a huge amount of RPG elements so I find myself running heroes around the map creeping like hell out of mobs while hunting down cool magic items.

And I love that you can make your own units, that is so cool. I havnt seen a good version of this since Alpah Centauri and frankly its done much better.

Also, I've never even heard of Shadow Magic, cant have been that good of a game. 

November 19, 2012 12:08:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MysticMJ,
Also, I've never even heard of Shadow Magic, cant have been that good of a game. 

Yes, it is a great game. It's extremely dated and only viable for multiplayer due to idiotic AI, but the focus on fast and fun tactical battles is something to behold. Now, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, is a tactical focused game. It's a very different beast than FE, which is a strategic focused game. I would say that FE players find the strategic gameplay in AoW:SM as unappealing as the tactical battlers in FE would be to AoW:SM players. Of course mods on both sides alter that paradigm quite a bit. 

Also, SotS II has better ship design than Alpha Centauri and MoO2. But the AI is dead on arrival, so it's only good for multiplayer. That happens to alot of games that focus on tactical for some reason.

November 19, 2012 2:59:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leeovold,

Sean needs to Mod him as a new faction.

I don't normally post in these sort of threads, but lol.

November 19, 2012 3:28:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For me, the best thing about Fallen Enchantress is that it inspired me to play Fallen Enchantress again, after having just played it.

I know this makes some of you mad but Stardock needs to see the comparison brought up between Fallen Enchantress and the other gazillion games I have on my to-play list that I'm ignoring because I keep draining dozens of hours into FE,  because obviously it hasn't sunken in and this isn't the opinion of just one guy on the internet, this is a recurring comparison and it's never a good one for all those other games/movies/books/sleep/responsibilities/world outside of my apartment.

November 19, 2012 7:30:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"The Fallen Enchantress core game sucks!"

"But your example of a much better game hasn't even got the AI to expand an empire."

"That's fixed in a fan patch."

"So....you need to mod the core game in order to make it good?"

"THE FALLEN ENCHANTRESS CORE GAME SUCKS!"

November 19, 2012 9:18:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
1. douchebag  

The term "douchebag" generally refers to a male with a certain combination of obnoxious characteristics related to attitude, social ineptitude, public behavior, or outward presentation.

Though the common douchebag thinks he is accepted by the people around him, most of his peers dislike him. He has an inflated sense of self-worth, compounded by a lack of social grace and self-awareness. He behaves inappropriately in public, yet is completely ignorant to how pathetic he appears to others.
November 19, 2012 9:31:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally I feel the way about MOM he feels about AOW:SM. Nothing wrong with saying that. I will just wait for the expansions and see if the magic in elemental can be amplified to epic MOM levels.. eg more summons, globals, global spell casting that takes more than 1 turn, metamagic/countermagic duels.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001063   Page Render Time: