[eUTIL] Race Editor 0.45

By on October 5, 2012 11:08:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

impinc

Join Date 07/2010
+30

FE Editor

Current Release v0.45 (beta)

Download: (ModNexus) http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/mods/10/

WinCustomize: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/elemental_fallen_enchantress/8/

Alternate Download: http://goo.gl/6UQam

NOTE: The download now contains a text file, and an exe. Just click the exe to run. If you have an operating system other than Windows, let me know, and I will post a link for the runnable jar file.

For now, this is starting as a Race editor (Race Type). It will include an editor for creating/editing RaceTypes, Factions, and units. 

Don't mind the ugly UI for now, I'm still just getting things operational:

Image shown has units contained in Heavenfall's great mod Stormworld . I set the mod directory to \Mods\Stormworld_ExpandedFactions.

At the moment, it pulls units from the core game, so you can just easily assign current units to your new race. The idea here is to make a starting base for your new race (it's much easier to clone your new race from another premade one, then modify it from there). 

All units are then cloned from the selections you make, (in the above sample, everything is from the Altarian race) then are modified to be unique to your new race (changing racetype, and modeltype, internalnames, etc).

Most of the other stuff (like weapons, armor, mounts) is just taking the artdef and adding the new race's modeltype to the list of supported ones (it only picks those items of the race you selected).

Also, for the starting unit selector, if you hover over the checkbox, it will show you the unit's internalname (which contains the unit's race).

The editor exports 12 files right now, to try to help organize things:

newrace_animations.xml 

newrace_coreabilities.xml

newrace_artgameitems.xml 

newrace_clothes.xml 

newrace_coreunits.xml 

newrace_eyes.xml 

newrace_hair.xml 

newrace_heads.xml 

newrace_mounts.xml 

newrace_otherartitems.xml 

newrace_raceType.xml 

newrace_skins.xml

If there's something you'd like to see in here, let me know. 

Imp Inc.

Notes about how FEEditor scans files (Mainly for other modders):

The editor scans the selected mod folder for all xml files. A lot of the things gathered by the editor depend on Stardock's naming convention (ex: Blood traits start with Blood_ in their internalname). 

Bloodlines:

The editor searches all xml files in the mod folder (recursively) for the AbilityBonus tag, then see's if the internal name starts with Blood_ . Right now, this is case sensitive. The description is then used for the hover over tooltip for the dropdown box.

Shopkeeperunits/SageUnits:

Scans the xml files for unittype containers, and checks if the internalname starts with "Shopkeeper_" or "Sage_".

Generic Sov/Units:

Same as above , only this works a little different. It checks if the internalname contains the appropriate tags (rather than having to start with it) (ex "Generic" "Male" "Sovereign" ).

StartingUnits:

Scans xml files for unittype containers, and checks to see if the unit has the IsStartingUnit node set to 1. The display name of the unit is displayed in the hover over tooltip in the selector.

Skins/Eyes/Heads/Clothes/etc

Coming soon.

Release notes:

0.1 - Initial beta release

0.2 - Fixed bug where other races didn't have heads. Recoded how they are saved out (they now have their own heads defined, rather than trying to add the new racetype to the current in game ones). This also applies to a few other things.

- Fixed mounts as well. Now, you don't get extra mounts appearing in the tech tree.

0.3 - Added menu option to set the output directory. If none is set, it defaults to MyDocs/FEEditor.

- Fixed bug in core unit exporter which was causing starting units that had a prereq to not show up for the new race.

- Added menu option to set a mod directory. This is not yet fully implemented.

- Added combobox for selecting bloodline. This will clone the selected bloodline, and adjust all core units

to have this "new" bloodline. (All the internal names get changed over. You may still want to tweak the descriptions,

and/or display name.)

0.31 - Added a check when opening to make sure the program can find the files in the selected directory

0.35 - Changed unit displays from their display name, to their internal name. You can add one mod folder, and it will scan through it recursively (this may elongate loading time though). 

v0.40
- The jar file is now contained in an exe, to make running it easier for everyone.
- A splash screen was added while the program loads.
- When a mod directory is chosen, the app will now restart to rescan for all xml nodes.
- Bloodline description box added on right hand side.
- The xml files are no longer displayed in the panel on the right hand side.

- Starting Unit Selector window now scrolls at a faster speed.

v0.41

- Fixed issue with units being exported (it was using the wrong units to copy from).

v0.45

- Iron Golems will now show up for your new races.

- Juggernauts and Henchman will as well. If either of these are selected, you will get an additional two files exported:

newrace_techdefs.xml

newrace_techtree.xml

NOTE: As this only exports the racetype right now, after you create your new faction based on your new race, you will have to edit the new faction's xml file. You simply have to change the TechTree tag to TechTree_newrace (obviously newrace is the name of your new race). Once this is done, your faction will use the new tech tree, which contains the new techs (juggs, and/or hench). This is ONLY required when selecting one, or both of these two types of units.

Pinned, Locked Post 68 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 5, 2012 11:22:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sweet!

October 8, 2012 1:10:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, I'm putting a very early version up for people to play with. Right now, it just creates a new race type, and in doing so, creates a new UnitModelType.

Just so you know, it's written in Java, as that's the only language I know right now. You will need to have java runtime environment installed to run it. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7u7-downloads-1836441.html

Once Java is installed, simply double click the jar file to run it.

When you first open it, it looks for the FE directory, if it can't find it, a dialog box will pop up asking you to define where the data/English directory is. Once this is set, you shouldn't get prompted again. A folder is created in your documents folder (ex c:\users\impinc\documents on Win7) called FEEditor where all files are stored (a file to save the directory, and any exported files go here).

Here are the options:

Display Name - This is what is displayed for the race name. Try to keep it one word for now (ex Ironeers, Wraiths, Amarian, Trogs, etc)

Race Classification - This is either Men, or Fallen

Skin/Hair Color - Self explanatory. Although keep in mind that the colors may look a bit different in game due to in game lighting.

MusicTheme - One of the 9 available music themes in the game.

Shopkeeper Unit - The unit you see as a shopkeeper.

Generic Male Sovereign - The basic male unit type for a custom sovereign for your race.

Generic Female Sovereign - The basic female unit type for a custom sovereign for your race.

Generic Male/Female Unit - Like the generic sovereign, only this is your base unit when designing troops

Sage Unit - I haven't even messed with this yet, but you can select from the 10 core units.

Starting Units - This allows you to pick all the "starting units" which are all the available pre-designed units your race can train. Hover over the name in the checkbox to see the InternalName of the unit.

Skin/Eye/Head Set - This is actually skins, eyes, heads, mounts, items, weapons/armor, animationpacks, and clothes for your new race type's new unitmodeltype. 

What happens with any unit is that it is modified to your new Race Type's UnitModelType (and new units created). So, it gives you a starting template of your new race based upon one of the core races.

Editing is not yet implemented, nor is loading a race created so far. Also, the faction, and user buttons are disabled until I get those working. Once those are implemented, I plan on adding the ability to add other mod folders into the scan, so you can pick from not only the core race types/units, but also from other mods.

Let me know if you have any issues.

October 8, 2012 2:02:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

this is great, I'll have to see this again later when I"m not so freakin drunk

October 8, 2012 9:09:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is one able to add their own blood traits to it and if so how would I do that?

It will take a lot of hard work out of making a new race...which I had tried to do

October 8, 2012 10:47:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If there is anything that is here http://forums.elementalgame.com/416167  that might be helpful from my faction creator.  Let me know.   It is something that I still use and I like your design.   I'll follow this and see where it goes.   Best of luck.

October 8, 2012 10:58:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This looks cool, personally though it's not something I would use much because when I create custom races I also give them custom units, models, , clothes, and blood traits as well.

October 8, 2012 2:39:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting The_Kezz,
Is one able to add their own blood traits to it and if so how would I do that?

It will take a lot of hard work out of making a new race...which I had tried to do

Not at this time. However, it wouldn't take much to add it. You'd still have to create the blood trait yourself. But, then you can open the coreunits file this editor generates, and add your trait to the coreunits.

Quoting Murteas,
If there is anything that is here http://forums.elementalgame.com/416167  that might be helpful from my faction creator.  Let me know.   It is something that I still use and I like your design.   I'll follow this and see where it goes.   Best of luck.

Oh crap! I totally forgot you had made that. Perhaps I won't bother with a faction editor at all. I mainly started this to be able to generate a new race type easily (and adding the faction, and unit editor made sense at the time). 

Quoting DsRaider,
This looks cool, personally though it's not something I would use much because when I create custom races I also give them custom units, models, , clothes, and blood traits as well.

Well, this can lay the ground work for you. Each thing is put into it's own file (racename_coreunits, racename_mounts, etc), so it's easy to go back and edit. Right now, it just adds the new unitmodeltype to the ingame core stuff of the race that you select as a template (so if you choose Urxen, you will have access to everything that the Urxen have access to in game). 

I should mention that unlike all the items (weapons, mounts, armor, clothing, etc), all units are created. All the items are just adding the new racetype to the in game item. Whereas the core units are copied from the in game one, but have their own internalname (and the unitmodeltype, and racetype changed of course).

October 8, 2012 4:45:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Your faction/race editor seems more in depth than mine ever was, I never tried to do anything with the units.   In any case, it is a good thing to have multiple options.  I'm spending all my time right now with the quest wizard.   

October 8, 2012 5:27:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Eventually you could add a Unit Model Editor, where can create custom unit models and choose what items/clothes they can use.

October 24, 2012 11:46:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very nice, it will be nice to eventually not have to do everything by hand with the xml files.

October 27, 2012 2:27:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is wonderful! Add the ability to create new Blood trait, please 

October 27, 2012 2:44:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I should mention that it's currently now version 0.2.

I found several bugs with 0.1 (other factions lost their heads amongst them).

Now, if you use this to create a race type, you can copy the resulting files into your mod folder, and use the in game faction editor to create a new faction. 

Please let me know if you find any other weird issues as a result of using this.

October 27, 2012 3:05:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting esvath,
This is wonderful! Add the ability to create new Blood trait, please 

I'm not sure that will ever be in here, to be honest. A blood trait is an AbilityBonus. However, at some point I plan on having a way to select which abilitybonuses your racetype/faction/units get. Again, the idea being to pull in the core game ones, and also to pull in other mods bonueses as well. (A Blood trait is assigned to the core units of a race)

I'm not even sure the faction editor is necessary at this point, as you can use the in game one. I'm probably still going to add it in, as it just makes sense to have it there along with the race editor. Also, then you are not restricted in what you choose like the in game one. 

Not saying that I will never do it, I just still have a long ways to go. Before I even get to the faction/unit editor, I want to implement the ability to read in other mod folders. So, I'll consider it again when I have the 3 main editors I want done.

October 28, 2012 6:49:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting impinc,

Quoting esvath, reply 12This is wonderful! Add the ability to create new Blood trait, please 

I'm not sure that will ever be in here, to be honest. A blood trait is an AbilityBonus. However, at some point I plan on having a way to select which abilitybonuses your racetype/faction/units get. Again, the idea being to pull in the core game ones, and also to pull in other mods bonueses as well. (A Blood trait is assigned to the core units of a race)

I'm not even sure the faction editor is necessary at this point, as you can use the in game one. I'm probably still going to add it in, as it just makes sense to have it there along with the race editor. Also, then you are not restricted in what you choose like the in game one. 

Not saying that I will never do it, I just still have a long ways to go. Before I even get to the faction/unit editor, I want to implement the ability to read in other mod folders. So, I'll consider it again when I have the 3 main editors I want done.

You can add factions, but not races.  As someone who has actually created a new race I can tell you that it is a HUGE deal.  You MUST create the BloodTraits for the race to be balanced.  You must also either add the UnitModelType to all clothing and armor or they'll have to go naked and even add UnitModelType to heads, eyes and even skins.  It also helps if you can somehow make them look different but that would require some graphics work and so would go WAY outside the race editor but you would be really cool if a race editor made it possible to associate the graphics files with the race.

All of this is possible.  For the UnitModelType tags, allow your user to select a "Which Race am I Like" and have the editor re curse through all the core files for UnitModelType tags for the "Like" race and create ArtDefs that add them.  It would take some work but it doable with a reasonable amount of effort.  As for the BloodTrait, you have to create the BloodTrait and the mod file to add it to the game but you would have to manually work the BloodTrait to make it do something useful.  The simplest thing to do is to create enhanced weapons, armor or spells that are improved versions of existing items or spells and useable only by those with the new BloodTrait.

You also have to clone the generic <UnitTypes> in the CoreUnits file for your new race.

October 28, 2012 3:14:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Aerion Istari,

Quoting impinc, reply 14
Quoting esvath, reply 12This is wonderful! Add the ability to create new Blood trait, please 

You can add factions, but not races.  As someone who has actually created a new race I can tell you that it is a HUGE deal.  You MUST create the BloodTraits for the race to be balanced.  You must also either add the UnitModelType to all clothing and armor or they'll have to go naked and even add UnitModelType to heads, eyes and even skins.  It also helps if you can somehow make them look different but that would require some graphics work and so would go WAY outside the race editor but you would be really cool if a race editor made it possible to associate the graphics files with the race.

All of this is possible.  For the UnitModelType tags, allow your user to select a "Which Race am I Like" and have the editor re curse through all the core files for UnitModelType tags for the "Like" race and create ArtDefs that add them.  It would take some work but it doable with a reasonable amount of effort.  As for the BloodTrait, you have to create the BloodTrait and the mod file to add it to the game but you would have to manually work the BloodTrait to make it do something useful.  The simplest thing to do is to create enhanced weapons, armor or spells that are improved versions of existing items or spells and useable only by those with the new BloodTrait.

You also have to clone the generic <UnitTypes> in the CoreUnits file for your new race.

Oh, I know what constitutes making a new race. I modded the hell out of WoM, and have been lurking with FE. In fact, that's the whole reason I made this editor in the first place. The skins/heads/eyes selection takes the selected race's artdefs and associates the new modeltype with them. The nice thing with artdefs, is that you don't have to create a new item, just add the supportedunitmodeltype to the def, and that's it. It's when you try to do this with a GameItemType that it deletes the other tags, and you have to just create a whole new unique gameitemtype. Right now, you can use this editor and create a race, then open the game, and create a faction with the new race, and it will work (you'll have access to armor, weapons, clothing, heads, eyes, skins, animations, etc). In fact, right now it exports 11 files:

race_animations.xml

race_artgameitems.xml

race_clothes.xml

race_coreunits.xml

race_eyes.xml

race_hair.xml

race_heads.xml

race_mounts.xml

race_otherartitems.xml

race_raceType.xml

race_skins.xml

Note though that one thing is kind of broken at the moment. While it does generate the startingunittypes, it's replacing a tech prereq, when it shouldn't, so the predesigned units don't show up (like say, juggernauts). This will be fixed in the next version.

October 29, 2012 11:17:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded version 0.3.

You can now set the output directory (it now outputs 12 files). Also, you can now select from the core bloodline traits for your new race. This bloodline has it's internalnames changed (and all core units assigned this trait), but you still may want to go in and manually modify the trait. (It's in newrace_coreabilities.xml).

Also, if you hover over the bloodline combobox, the tooltip will display the selected bloodline's info (ex: 10% Experience).

Also fixed the bug where core units tech prereqs were overwritten with the race type (so selected starting units wouldn't appear).

October 30, 2012 8:27:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I uh can't get it to work.  I thought I told it the correct path.  But now when I double click it, something loads but I don't see crap.  Help? 

Yes, I did download and install the Java Runtime. 

October 30, 2012 11:28:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same here, tried un-installing and downloading java again,  than doing all the internet tips I could find but still cant get the program to run.

October 30, 2012 11:39:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Supreme Shogun,
I uh can't get it to work.  I thought I told it the correct path.  But now when I double click it, something loads but I don't see crap.  Help? 

Yes, I did download and install the Java Runtime. 

Sorry you're having issues, I only have my own machine to test on.

Hmm. Nothing comes up at all? It takes a couple seconds to load, but not a long time. I wonder if the java.exe is in your path. If you go to command prompt and type java -version, what version does it report?

October 31, 2012 12:06:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here is a pic of the results at the command prompt - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10708974/JavaPrompt.png

October 31, 2012 2:09:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Supreme Shogun,
Here is a pic of the results at the command prompt - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10708974/JavaPrompt.png

Try manually running it:

"java -jar FEEditor0.3.jar"

See if it comes up then.

Is anyone else getting this as well?

October 31, 2012 12:39:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I Tried manually running the program, even opening it up with netbeans and copying everything to run it  bot nothing worked...

It asked me for the folder path the first time I ran it bit since than nothing appears.

my op is windows 7 64bits if it helps.

October 31, 2012 3:37:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parede,
I Tried manually running the program, even opening it up with netbeans and copying everything to run it  bot nothing worked...

It asked me for the folder path the first time I ran it bit since than nothing appears.

my op is windows 7 64bits if it helps.

Ok, I don't have a check in there to verify the correct directory was chosen. Go to your MyDocs/FEEditor folder, and delete data.dat. Then when you run it again, it should ask for the directory again. The directory it's asking for is the installed game's data\English folder 

For steam users, it would look something like this:

D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Elemental Fallen Enchantress\data\English

I'll put a check in the next version to verify the directory, and if it's not right, it will say so, and allow you to re-choose.

October 31, 2012 4:25:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I  am baffled as well.  Deleting that data file didn't make a bit of difference. 

Odd that it worked once.  *shrugs*

October 31, 2012 6:19:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Supreme Shogun,
I  am baffled as well.  Deleting that data file didn't make a bit of difference. 

Odd that it worked once.  *shrugs*

Ok, I'll try to get a new version out sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time: