[0.913] Video Let's Play and Beta Feedback

By on May 3, 2012 9:53:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Das123

Join Date 05/2003
+79

In this video we start a new game. A lot of bitching and moaning about the shortcomings of the user interface within the game.

Locked Post 74 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 3, 2012 9:57:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for doing these videos... it allows me to contribute to discussion regarding the game until I decide to pre-order.

Also... from Brad's video it seems like the staff lets you cast the fire dart for free, though it may have a limited number of uses. I would suggest giving that to your champion. 

May 3, 2012 11:03:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought i would add some comments to add to what Das123 has said.

1) I like his comment about the random opponents. That would be a nice button to have. One major nitpick. You have th sovereign selection screen, the map setting screen and the customize opponents screen. Why are these not on one screen, you have to bounce back and forth between them several times to make sure you have everything selected on the setting you want.

2) character screen, level up screen, inventory screen. Can't we combine these three places into one location to display everything more clearly ?

3) Das123 makes a good point at the 7 minute mark or so about starting city location. Having a basic start setup does take some of the twitchy restart reaction people have been complaining about out of the equation in the beginning of the game. You can also use this concept to put in some faction differences by having a more industrial faction have more materials and a more warlike faction have less grain. 

4) 8 minute mark - I always turn off auto turn for this reason - i hate this function. I am sure some people like it.

edit oops wrong buttons till writing this

May 3, 2012 11:06:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the comments.

I'm now a few episodes ahead but I'll try equipping the staff.

Also, I would hate anyone to take my criticisms and suggestions within the game as a negative about the game itself so if they are stopping you from pre-ordering, please don't hold back. Fallen Enchantress is already a very enjoyable game that just gets better and better.

May 3, 2012 11:56:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

5) there's no reason why all factions need to be 10 food per grain to start with, some could have a bonus or penalty per grain. Same for materials.

a city of 5/3 could be representative of a capital city with most location in the world being somewhere between 2, 3 or 4 food with 1,2,3 or 4 materials. better locations could be guarded by monsters or quests, or be revealed in the wildlands. Would this give the food research more value near the end of the civ tech ?

possible city prompt " the city in question could flash slowly to get your attention" - the faction colour around the city tile could grow brighter then darker etc.

6) about 11 minutes. When it comes to groups, i find when i reach the new group size up, i am relegating my smaller groups to defence and slow down to retrain new units. It would be nice to stop that speed bumb so to speak, by upgrading the troop with materials and population to the new size to maintain xp, or take a hit or two in level to get the higher group size to continue momentum.

7) 12:20 he deos have a point about momentum issues in the game. However it would most likely be through the use of magic that you would balance this out. If someone has better warfare tech, then an opponent might have better magic tech to counter. Your units might be stronger but they can be rendered harmless by a variety of magic. We will have to see what the dev's have in store for us here. ( i will use mom as one example - the spell of invulnerability which renders immune to most physical damage can make a lowly spearman kill a ranger. Although the magician kills him pretty fast lol)

we will have to see how the current plan of weapon vs armour works out - cutting blunt and piercing - axes swords and club type. They all have advantages and disadvantages in the new system and its possible a well equipped smaller group can kill a bigger group. I have to break down the equipment list and see how this plays out. I copied the xml files into word and i am going to strip out all the extra text to get the stats out.

8) at teh 16 minute mark when he talks about movement - i notice that his portrait in teh top left hand corner is not highlighting yellow. Doesn't it hilghlight yellow when we can move and then darken when we can't. His seems to stay dark all the time. (actually i wne to full screen and saw it was yellow - odd)

18 minute mark - no reason why the info about what the spell does  isn't on the pop up window, but it is beta so maybe its just there aas a place holder to show its working 

24 minute mark - a quick discussion on defensive bonus. High initiative units usually have low defence and life, so if a tough unit survives the initial attack you would think it would be able to couner  and turn the tide of the fight. However, this would be a usefull special ability to be able to start a fight in defense mode. However we would need to combine this with a small tactic screen where we could organize our troop formations so we are prepared when the battles start. We don't need to do this at the start of every fight, just set it up once for reference. A special skill a hero could have would lets us see what formation our opponent is using and then you could adjust your own formation to compensate.

But we should still want high initive attackers that can hit low initive people who are not in defense mode. Just need to balance their damage per turn versus their survival ability (ie fragile or tough unit)

May 4, 2012 12:09:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As I suggested in another thread, a "tournament mode" checkbox in the game setup that gives every player a 4/3 start, + 1 shard + 1 wheat or something like that would allow players who don't like the randomness to be satisfied. It would also be good for multiplayer matches, if those are added post-release.

I agree that units should probably defend at the beginning of battle, I assume that will be added once they are confident that auto-defense was a good addition. Maybe add an ambush ability that prevents this from happening, could be a nice Path of the Assassin perk. 

May 4, 2012 1:06:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea of tying defensive starts (or lack there-of) to the Assassin path. Also using initiative as a basis for starting battles in defensive mode is a good idea too.

Anyhow, here's episode 2

This episode made me feel like rage-quitting. You'll see why.

May 4, 2012 1:14:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it best to start a new game with a new beta or will the old game do?

Hey Das, I think it was one of your videos that had me buy EFE.

May 4, 2012 2:54:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I completely agree with you on starting out with all those Combat techs, and I think you should start with several of the civic ones as well.  Furthermore, if they did the 5/4 (or whatever) built city start (this makes your first city as a capital actually important, instead of the normal I find a better city), which I also agree with, then they could start the city off with a couple of the buildings from those techs as well.  It's just better for pacing and makes a lot more sense logically.  Why would we have to go back and re-research leather armor and wooden clubs?

May 4, 2012 3:40:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Because weapon making and Leatherworking has long since been forgotten. No one knows how to do it anymore. 

May 4, 2012 3:46:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Tattyhat; I would start fresh if possible. Can never really be sure of stability using an old game. Hope you're enjoying the game.

Here's episode 3...

May 4, 2012 8:00:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice work Das, joy to watch!

May 4, 2012 8:25:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Episode 4

May 4, 2012 11:41:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice, keep 'em coming! Wanna see how this ends. Learning a lot actually.

May 4, 2012 2:07:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you on the payroll?  You should be, 'cause you're selling the game.  It looks great so far.  I think starting in the center is going to give you a good game.

I like your suggestions.  The ability to preset your unit deployment for battles would be great.  Kinda silly to have to shuffle around a jumble of troops every time you fight.

Keep up the good work.  It's fun to watch and will greatly improve the final product.

May 4, 2012 7:21:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the comments.

No, not on the payroll. Just enjoying playing the game.

Here's episode 5:

May 4, 2012 11:31:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Episode 6

May 5, 2012 2:51:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

May 5, 2012 7:34:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I too am glad you make these vids. Watched them before i actually preorderd. They were a great additional way to keep me informed on the progress of the game.

I also watched the Conquest of Elysium let's plays. Those where a good lecture for me about stuff like "Things a Troll King shouldn't do". Very helpfull indeed... That way i had more time finding other things i better shouldn't have done myself.

Also...

"I like your suggestions.  The ability to preset your unit deployment for battles would be great.  Kinda silly to have to shuffle around a jumble of troops every time you fight."

Second.

It would also give FE another feature the two big titles people will compare it with (MoM & AoW:SM) actually didn't have, if i remember correctly.

May 5, 2012 1:56:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Naaarf. I put myself in the noob category for most games I play and making mistakes is what I do well.

I didn't ever play MoM but played AoW an awful lot. The initial placement of armies was on a much larger battlefield and being hex based allowed the units to form a row. The only issue was if your unit was at the wrong end of a row. And if you attacked a city, the city always went first and the units in the city had completely free movement to get into a defensive position on the walls. Tactical battles in AoW were much more involved than FE and city battles could take over half an hour at times.

Anyhow, here's episode 8:

May 5, 2012 5:17:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

May 5, 2012 7:40:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dont think you have the opponent map setting correct. Map size is a just a suggestion of how many opponents would fit best on that map but its not a hard number your are forced to honor. The custom settings sets the number of empires in the game..so you could have much more than the map size suggested if you have enough empires generated, or exclude a lot of empires for 1 on 3 or whatver.

I'm fond of the current tech tree and dont feel at all that they need to turnicate it. Grabbing the larger group techs is a reward for specializing in warfare. If its unbalancing its due to unequal options in Civics and Magic. More options not less please. 

I'm going to disagree with you on the city placement at the start idea too. Dont take away choices. I'd like to choose where my city goes and often times its based on more than just the grain/production ratio. I do think the grain/production tile system needs to be redesigned. Its not quite a fit for this game as it was for Civ/AC

You should give the girl the staff you got on the first turn

May 5, 2012 9:52:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll need to look a bit deeper into the start screens.

May 6, 2012 12:22:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I noticed an interface bug in episode 8, right before the battle at 13 minutes. It says that the enemy has 5 units and you have 12... its actually 5 v 4 units and 15 v 12 figures... or whatever the proper terms are. 

May 6, 2012 3:33:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's an old bug where one side it counts the individuals and the other side counts the groups. I'm so used to it now I forgot to mention it.

Episode 11:

May 6, 2012 3:45:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think freeze is a little over powered. If you have enough mana income (+3 / turn) you can keep a stack frozen indefinetly. there might be a technicality where they move once in between casts i am not sure if casting it again overrides the previous one. In any case, you should use that too keep your undefended cities safe.

Also... is there any chance you might try to take over Gilden once you have all the enemies in the bottom left corner taken out?  It would probably worsen relationships with your other allies, but they seem ripe for the plucking.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: