1.1 , last chance failure?

By on December 15, 2010 8:27:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ebelser

Join Date 02/2006

Okay, so I kept my mouth shut and waited for the great 1.1 patch; finally get it and less than 1 hour into my first game it CTDs.

I now really feel like the money I spent on this game was a complete waste and I will not be buying another Stardock product unless it has been out a year and half a dozen of my friends swear to how good it is.

I could have dealt with a much more modest revamp game play and balance-wise if it was *stable*! To have strung people along this long and put out something still this crash happy is just unbelievable.

Locked Post 106 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 15, 2010 8:34:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't crashed since the beta. It must be you or your computer. Expecting Stardock to be able to test millions of computer combinations, including varieties of hardware and software installations, seems a little unreasonable, does it not? Stardock is trying as hard as it can. But the most bug-free games still crash sometimes on certain systems, and I do think you're being a little unreasonable. At least submit your bug reports, logs, and savegames to Stardock for testing.

December 15, 2010 8:44:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Either post the debug and they will fix it, or storm off like a child and no one will care.

December 15, 2010 8:46:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Okay, so I kept my mouth shut and waited for the great 1.1 patch; finally get it and less than 1 hour into my first game it CTDs.

Really?  Only takes me about 30 minutes.  I played every beta, watched the game get more and more stable until 1.09v when it never crashed at all.  Then they put out 1.1 and it's back to crashing every 30 minutes.

I haven't crashed since the beta. It must be you or your computer.

No - must be changes they made in 1.09w or the final release version that they didn't bother letting us test thoroughly.

December 15, 2010 9:02:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I too will stay away from Starock, although from the time I spent with Gal Civ II it seems like a great game. I also bought Fences Pro, a utility with some great concepts but with a somewhat unfriendly user interface and it appears to tax my computer a bit too much. And Object Dock is similarly odd and also causes my PC to take longer to boot and just isn't what I hoped it would be.

And then there's Elemental, a game that is so far from being fun and interesting that I can't imagine how Stardock thought it was ready to ship. 

December 15, 2010 9:15:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I am in the same boat.

I started a game today and crashed before I could even start my 2nd city - guess what.... I am not even going to start a new game. I have been beta testing this game for awhile and I have never ever EVER been able to complete a game all the way through because of crashes.

So sorry stardock - you had your chance with me anyways.

December 15, 2010 9:26:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't crashed since beta 1.09n but I did get rid of Janusk and set the AI to basic. I'll have to up the AI level and see if I start crashing.

December 15, 2010 9:28:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So strange! I'm 862 turns into my first 1.1 game, and it hasn't crashed yet.

Sorry you guys are having poor experiences.

December 15, 2010 9:30:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I find it really odd you folks are having so many crashes.   Throughout the beta process, I had exactly one, and then two earlier today in 1.10.  I reported them all.   I updated my video drivers (I didn't realize they were out of date, actually), and I haven't had a crash since.   And the game's been up since around noon.   So that's....eight hours or so of continuous play plus alt+tabbing out.   Hundreds of turns.

You can't expect the crashes to go away unless you submit crash data so that Stardock can diagnose and fix them.   Different hardware--even different driver configurations--can dramatically effect stability.

December 15, 2010 9:35:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's entirely possible that whatever conditions caused their crashes had not been tested by other testers. I understand it's frustrating as hell, but Stardock did not hire Psi Corps to bug hunt. They need reports and hard data.

December 15, 2010 9:38:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting creepyfellow,
It's entirely possible that whatever conditions caused their crashes had not been tested by other testers. I understand it's frustrating as hell, but Stardock did not hire Psi Corps to bug hunt. They need reports and hard data.

Exactly. It could be that the demographic that happens to have certain hardware/software configs also just rants on the forums instead of reporting it to Stardock if something goes wrong.

December 15, 2010 9:41:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd also like to mention that the engine used for the game is one designed in-house by Stardock, and so it never (and really couldn't ever, considering Stardock's size) went through the rigorous compatibility testing that larger engines go through.

And some of the larger engines even have serious issues.   Look at Gamebryo. 

The only way to rectify this is to submit crash data; otherwise your voice, and your technical problem, might never be heard or seen.

December 15, 2010 9:47:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cry over spilled milk or help clean it up and pour another glass.

December 15, 2010 9:48:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some people having nonoptimal experiences has to be expected

a) Some people don't update their drivers/ user error

Some configs weren't tested

c) The game isn't 100% stable.  Almost no game is.

as of the last  beta, the game was very stable for me, though lategame I felt like I may have been strating to run into memory leaks (but almost all TBS's have this problem in some aspect- even Civ IV and EU3 have this)

All you can do is report, let SD fix, and help make the game better.  The crash reports I submitted, when they could figure it out, they did quickly, often the next day.  Things might be a bit slower now, but they do fix their mistakes eventually, and when they're in an update cycle, quickly

December 15, 2010 10:20:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Beric01,

Exactly. It could be that the demographic that happens to have certain hardware/software configs also just rants on the forums instead of reporting it to Stardock if something goes wrong.

Naw i posted all my crash dumps(and continue to do so).. its pretty unstable on my system as well. So its not an issue with just people who didn't beta test/ report issues. Although something like that may compound the issue.

@OP

TBH though throwing a fit or getting pissy about it isn't gonna do anyone any good. Either post your dumps and hope they can track down the issues or get over it and play something else. I  beta tested with the selfish idea that it would atleast be stable on my system and failed. Am I disappointed? sure but its not the last patch... so as long as it WILL be stable its not a waste.

December 15, 2010 11:08:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure your drivers are updated.  Not just with Elemental, but with any and every game I've ever had stability issues with, this is almost always the reason why.  To people having a rough experience and seeing lots of crashes, make sure your drivers are current.  If you don't know how or have never done this before, here's what to do (at least in Windows 7; as I recall Vista and XP are pretty much the same):

1) Go to control panel.

2) Click on "Device Manager."

3) Find "Display Adapters" and click on the little arrow.

4a) Your graphics card should now appear; right click on it and select "Update Driver Software."

4b) Alternatively, click on "Properties," then go to the "Driver" tab and click on "Update Driver."

5) In either case, Windows 7 asks you some Windows 7 stuff.  Do what makes the most sense (have it automatically search, give it permission, etc).

6) Once your drivers are updated, it doesn't hurt to reboot.

If that doesn't fit your problems with stability (with Elemental or any other game), post a crash dump or a bug report.  At that point, once everything is updated on your end, it will be a lot easier for Stardock to fix it on theirs.

December 15, 2010 11:28:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have not had a crash since the game was released.....  not a single one...

must be your rigs

December 15, 2010 11:30:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting glucero0,
I too will stay away from Starock, although from the time I spent with Gal Civ II it seems like a great game. I also bought Fences Pro, a utility with some great concepts but with a somewhat unfriendly user interface and it appears to tax my computer a bit too much. And Object Dock is similarly odd and also causes my PC to take longer to boot and just isn't what I hoped it would be.

And then there's Elemental, a game that is so far from being fun and interesting that I can't imagine how Stardock thought it was ready to ship. 

Back to trolling huh?  Didn't you get  your money back already?

December 15, 2010 11:38:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Javaslinger,

must be your rigs

Naw your rig must be the super bug killer 3000 from the future. Cause those of us with modern rigs still have crash issues.

December 15, 2010 11:39:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got the standard crashes from the cartographer, but i only ever had one crash in the game itself. Stardock seems to be pretty good about cleaning the CTDs up. But now that i can play the game, for long periods of time, without threat of CTD, i just wish the game was, ya know.... fun?

December 15, 2010 11:43:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Execpt for sex ............. you won't get 100% of the people satisfied 100% of the time. Sorry it doesn't work for you.   Check back from time to time, the problem you have may get solved in the future.

December 16, 2010 12:14:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Beric01,
I haven't crashed since the beta.

Can't tell if I should laugh at this epic fail attempt at being a fanbois, or feel sorry for someone so in need of an eHug from a game company that they post this garbage.

There is absolutely ZERO way that you "haven't crashed since the beta" unless you HAVE NOT PLAYED SINCE THE BETA.

Good try though.

1.1 brought me back to this train wreck to see how things are progressing, and your laughable quote got me to post again.

Kudos.

To the OP, I haven't played 1.1 yet, but yes, I like everyone else had my game crash often in 1.0x

I hope it gets more stable as time goes on.

December 16, 2010 12:23:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Since the beta? perhaps he means the the beta for 1.1 instead of the beta for elemental? in which case that means he hasn't crashed in a day or two. I read that as being a sarcastic joke, not sure if it is or not though.

December 16, 2010 12:26:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LucidCon,
Well, I am in the same boat.

I started a game today and crashed before I could even start my 2nd city - guess what.... I am not even going to start a new game. I have been beta testing this game for awhile and I have never ever EVER been able to complete a game all the way through because of crashes.

So sorry stardock - you had your chance with me anyways.

So, I checked all your posts. You say it crashed in beta, but you never posted a debug.err or a save game in which it crashed.  EVER.  That has fail written all over it.  Complaining doesn't help.  Sending the debug.err after a crash probably would have given some insight into why it crashes on your rig, and Stardock would have addressed it.

Quoting FishSlayer,

To the OP, I haven't played 1.1 yet, but yes, I like everyone else had my game crash often in 1.0x

I hope it gets more stable as time goes on.

Ugh.  Where are your posts with the crash dumps?  Bugs don't magically resolve themselves and developers are not psychic.  Don't "hope" it will get better.  Take a lesson from Fistalis: create a post and place all your crash dumps in it and help enable Stardock to make it better for you...

December 16, 2010 3:00:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, some of you have failed your 1.1 chance. Don't be back and save yourselves some frustration.

Those who truly care about the game and/or their money spent on it, there is a Support subforum awaiting for your issues reports. Some issues will get resolved sooner than others but that's to be expected.

December 16, 2010 4:47:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Javaslinger,

must be your rigs

Your first line was ok, you should have ended there. Your second line makes you look like an idiot.

A large percentage of people have issues, so it's NOT all because of their computers, not even close.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000546   Page Render Time: