[Suggestion]Troops require too many materials to build

By on July 9, 2010 5:38:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TheBirthday...

Join Date 03/2006
+17

It seems far too much to require a solider with leather head, chest, leg armor, short sword, and solider's cloak to require 71 materials and 54 gold. Buildings cost much less than that. How about a game mechanic where its just 10 for each? We're not talking steel armoured knights on heavy war horses right?

Locked Post 10 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 9, 2010 8:47:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

These values are stritctly relative, I think.  I personally don't want soldiers easy to build.

July 9, 2010 9:05:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Demiansky,
These values are stritctly relative, I think.  I personally don't want soldiers easy to build.

I sure would!  It's terribly boring to play a 4x game with practically only 3 'x's because of dumb design decisions imo.

It's kind of ridiculous that lower level troops take longer and cost more money to make than buildings 

July 9, 2010 9:47:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tend to think of one 'unit' as representing a regiment or similar. Then groups of units are armies to me. So I guess in that sense it might be more reasonable?

July 9, 2010 11:04:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It must admit my first impression is that units cost far too many materials too. I now always play with the lumber mill trait to get around it. I think we'd need to wait to see final balance, but on first look, yes, too expensive.

July 9, 2010 1:46:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I'm not mistaken, woodyards are currently disabled.  I'm hoping they will be buildable after tonights build comes out. (3-a)

It should make a fair difference in your available resources when they are enabled again.

July 9, 2010 2:09:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had the same first impression. Basically equipped (teir 1-2) troops seem to cost too much.

But then, I think the game should start out with the basic stuff researched (T1 armour (not weapons)) so you can start gearing up an army from early on. But that's just be and I tend to be fairly militant in my playing.

July 9, 2010 2:30:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Demiansky,

I think the higher quality troops should be harder/require more infrastructure to build.

Slapping some leather on a guy/girl and handing him/her a club - that shouldn't exactly be all that "hard" to do, imo.

July 9, 2010 3:35:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tend to think of one 'unit' as representing a regiment or similar. Then groups of units are armies to me. So I guess in that sense it might be more reasonable?

Maybe that's how you think of it but I don't think that's the intention.  We can build companies and other larger groups later so I think it is intended to actually be just 1 guy.  Regardless the units do seem to cost quite a bit.  Once we have 2-3 large towns with high tech we should be able to churn out normal units pretty fast but with the current system I don't think that will be the case.

July 9, 2010 4:03:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I take offense to a cloak requiring half of the resources a building takes.

I think that balancing just needs to be done. Increase the cost of buildings or decrease the cost of equipment. Either way, 10 materials for a cloak?

Keep metal the same, though. And horses, etc.

July 9, 2010 10:16:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From the latest dev journal it sounds like they are going to change the materials/recruit times a lot which is great news!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001015   Page Render Time: