Elemental: Of the Titans

By on February 17, 2010 6:49:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Seven thousand years ago was the noontide of the mortals of Elemental. It was the age of the Magicians.

The world was filled with magic and wonder. Its power shines as a beacon across the universe and gains the attention of immortal beings that would become known as the Titans.

The immortals found a world lush with life and rich in magic. They soon set out to dominate this world and in doing so soon found themselves in conflict with the mortal Magicians and with each other.

The immortals were dominated by two leaders of terrible might. One was named Curgen; the other, Kir-Tion. Their great struggle had two terrible consequences…

Curgen used his great power to create new races of creatures that collectively became known as “The Fallen”.

Curgen’s rival, Kir-Tion, captured the gifted Tar-Thela and corrupted her, transforming her into the Emerald Sorceress. Using her unique power, she takes the magic of the world and locks it within the crystal shards that have been spread across the world. Unexpectedly, the shards become rooted in place.

With their source of power gone, the mortal Magicians were quickly swept away.

Then came the Channelers. Mortal beings who could channel the magic from the shards.  Some allied themselves with the Titans, others fled to bide their time in the far west.

In a final battle between Curgen and Kir-Tion, a league of mortal men led by Amarian III and supported by Tandis and his apprentice Talax are able to tip the balance preventing Curgen from opening a portal to the Titan home world. They succeed in destroying the Titans but at a great cost; the Cataclysm.

The world was broken.

Now…

Civilization is gone. Life hangs by a thread.

The only hope for Elemental is you.

Locked Post 43 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 17, 2010 1:01:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bigger pics or it didn't happen.

Awesome job by the artist(s).

February 17, 2010 1:15:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So the Catacyslm came (late october probably) wiped out civlisation (which is odd because World of warcraft is nothing like Civ IV). Then came the last best hope for Elemental?

So its delayed until Sepetember!?!?

[This was a joke about reading too far into something]

Very good arts. But I don't see whats wrong with the world in the last pictures... I mean thats exactly how I want to make it look. Intimidating, dark, lonley, haunting. All good things.

February 17, 2010 1:19:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking good.

More Pics!

"Todays forcast OMG LIGHTNING!"

February 17, 2010 1:24:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yeah! Id be nice to see more developer video'  s though.

February 17, 2010 1:35:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Aractain,
last best hope for Elemental
It failed.

February 17, 2010 1:45:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd love to find out something about the artists involved, the artwork and style for this game is absolutely stunning.

February 17, 2010 1:56:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nimis,
I'd love to find out something about the artists involved, the artwork and style for this game is absolutely stunning.

The art folks are apparently very fond of Alphonse Mucha. The devs have typed about him, and the recent art surely looks to me like that took his art noveau ball and are running well with it.

February 17, 2010 2:04:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting, thanks!  This is easily some of the best artwork I've ever seen for a game, I just can't wait to see more higher resolution stuff.  

February 17, 2010 2:12:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

Quoting Aractain, reply 2last best hope for Elemental
It failed.

Now, it's our last, best hope...  for victory!

February 17, 2010 2:16:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll be very interested to find out what happened to the Titans.  If immortal, they could not truly be destroyed, right?  Were they simply banished?  Was their power so diminished by the Cataclysm which claimed their homeworld that the Titans are simply insignificant?  Could they be -made- significant once again by enterprising and ambitious Channelers who might wish to restore the Titans to power?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

February 17, 2010 2:17:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll be very interested to find out what happened to the Titans.  If immortal, they could not truly be destroyed, right?  Were they simply banished?  Was their power so diminished by the Cataclysm which claimed their homeworld that the Titans are simply insignificant?  Could they be -made- significant once again by enterprising and ambitious Channelers who might wish to restore the Titans to power?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

February 17, 2010 2:19:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, who/what is Tar-Thela?  A Titan in her own right?  Is the Emerald Sorceress gone as well?  Most importantly, if she is still around, is she hot and can she make babies?

February 17, 2010 3:36:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ahh... there's nothing like coming home from school and digging into a nice, juicy dev journal.........

Who are Tandis/Talax? Titans?

February 17, 2010 4:12:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I find this acceptable. Awsome concept art too. At some point this will start becoming fun.

February 17, 2010 4:16:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
February 17, 2010 5:14:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy, care to clarify for me? In the final battle, were the humans on Kir-Tion's side or their own? And is Curgen "evil" and Kir-Tion "good" or are they both "bad" or what?

Also are the immortals not immortal in the sense that they can die in combat? (like the sovereigns in elemental)

February 17, 2010 5:32:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd take a guess Thrawn, and say that they're probably clinically immortal. Like Lord of the Rings elves, they'll live forever under good conditions but a lightning bolt to the face will cramp their style just like it would for us.

*edit* 

It seems another name is "biological immortality", Clinical is just the word I encountered first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality

February 17, 2010 6:01:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

clinically immortal

February 17, 2010 7:33:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow! Pretty pictures  I especially love the one of that dude ripping the land a new one (all pun intended)  

February 17, 2010 7:37:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice pictures. I look forward to seeing the story unfold... especially in like, you know a beta patch! 

Quoting Ron Lugge,

Quoting Wintersong, reply 5
Quoting Aractain, reply 2last best hope for Elemental
It failed.
Now, it's our last, best hope...  for victory!

In the year of the Shadow war...

February 17, 2010 8:01:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've always applauded Elemental's choice of artistic style.  Very original and refreshing for a strategy game!!!

The story, though, is unfortunately, not very moving.  Sure, it's enough to keep me interested and make a worthwhile setting but not exactly earth shattering in the grand scale of fantasy narratives.  It's about on par with Warcraft's backstory.  Could be better. 

Someday, I hope to see someone step forward and posit a story and setting as original as The Logic Factory's "Tone Rebellion" or "Ascendancy" but for a fantasy setting rather than scifi.

February 17, 2010 8:12:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Terran_242,
I'd take a guess Thrawn, and say that they're probably clinically immortal. Like Lord of the Rings elves, they'll live forever under good conditions but a lightning bolt to the face will cramp their style just like it would for us.

Putting science terms on this just makes it less fun. You're spot-on about how Tolkien elves function. Their lives are potentially endless, but they are vulnerable to conflict, disaster, and despair.

February 17, 2010 8:36:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Putting science terms on this just makes it less fun

The laugh made me think I'd screwed up the spelling, I googled it to make sure and found that page. Figured it would help my position somewhat lol.

As for "biological" immortality, I like it. It's an elegant, balanced way of dealing with an important character, both for gameplay and the story. Do I turn him into the uber-bookworm or train him up and 300 years down the line have a one man army?

February 17, 2010 9:24:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Putting science terms on this just makes it less fun

Each sovereign will be provided a midicholorian count...

February 17, 2010 10:26:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Each sovereign will be provided a midicholorian count...

Hmm, now star wars is an inspiration? 

This is really mustafar isn't it?  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time: