Please eliminate the Child Genetics Code.

By on February 3, 2010 7:26:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Chipwich

Join Date 03/2006
+1

I don't like the way that this game is going with half-race children based on the dev journals. Having your children turn into monster babies would make players make bad gameplay decisions based on wanting a good character to look at. No one will want to make a marriage with the goblin types and everyone will always marry the Slaaneshland guys. 

Just have a child from this marriage be one race or another please.

Locked Post 102 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 3, 2010 7:39:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Having your children turn into monster babies would make players make bad gameplay decisions based on wanting a good character to look at. No one will want to make a marriage with the goblin types and everyone will always marry the Slaaneshland guys.
Huh? If theis game was an RT"S", maybe, but I'd like to think that the average Elemental fan would be a bit more Machiavellian.

February 3, 2010 7:42:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
No one will want to make a marriage with the goblin types and everyone will always marry the Slaaneshland guys. 

Next week's lotto numbers, please?

So it's fine to have hideous creatures to fight for you but it's not good if they are supposed to be the descendants of your Sovereign? Really? And by same logic, no one will want to play Fallen because they won't have pretty units to look at? (supposing Slanesh type fallen, aka pretty fallen aka Wow's blood elves, are not available)

Someone who decides on looks is playing only to have fun (which is not a bad thing), so why bother about him reducing his chances to win?

February 3, 2010 8:53:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just like the current genetic approach...on the other hand I think for players like you transformation spell for your children can be implemented to make those nice to look at again...

February 3, 2010 9:27:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No one thinks of the "goblins". No one cares that their children can become human-like and spoil their prisitine "goblin" beauty? Does no one care of those players who enjoy looking at their hideous creatures and scions and that would be forced to have scions with an appearence similar of those humans???

February 3, 2010 9:34:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I want to create the ugliest race of Sovereign descendants ever seen. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you're opinion is universal.

February 3, 2010 9:42:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As a powerful sovereign, could we imagine he can manipulate his child genetic code and influences from which parent line he inherits the most?

Some limits should be there, you cannot inherit from on side only,  like you cannot go below 20% from one parent, and this is just a influence, not a strict repartition.

February 3, 2010 10:44:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Changing interesting game mechanics because some people may behave in an inefficient and facile manner is silly.  And besides, if some people want to role play a biggoted sovereign who only breeds with his own kind, then all the power to 'em. 

Actually, I think you could come up with some pretty good game mechanics based on this principle.  What if, for instance, you had other xenophobic sovereigns whom frown upon you if you marry your children off to partners whom are not your own race?  Or simply with political enemies of their own?  Your children could even have their own different levels of obedience.  Perhaps a son or daughter is willing to accept whatever it is you choose for them?  Or perhaps they are bold and headstong, demanding to marry whomever they please?  Maybe you might even have to open up a dialogue box with some of your children to gode/strong arm them into making the proper "political gestures."

February 3, 2010 11:08:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What if, for instance, you had other xenophobic sovereigns whom frown upon you if you marry your children off to partners whom are not your own race? Or simply with political enemies of their own?

I would love to see xenophobia specifically included in the diplo/dynastic modeling. To me, it wouldn't really be a dynasty system at all if it didn't include your latter basic point. "How dare you accept a Prince of Kraxis into your house? Our trade agreements are hereby nullified. Do not speak to us again until your house is clean of Kraxis filth."

February 3, 2010 11:14:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

On a related note, it would be interesting to have children's willingness to marry based partially on the attractiveness of the proposed partner. It would be cool to figure out how to code who finds whom attractive.

February 3, 2010 11:24:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ratya48,
On a related note, it would be interesting to have children's willingness to marry based partially on the attractiveness of the proposed partner. It would be cool to figure out how to code who finds whom attractive.

Attractive = CharismaScore +/- Race.

Race wouldn't just be Human or Fallen, but  a value that goes up and down in the scale depending of the "purity" of the person (being human or fallen, with ascendancy in other bloodlines). Poligons are ignored for balance reasons.

February 3, 2010 12:53:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, from what I can gather, as long as you dont intermarry with any Fallen factions you should be okay in terms of looks.

February 3, 2010 1:14:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting idunno116,
Actually, from what I can gather, as long as you dont intermarry with any Fallen factions you should be okay in terms of looks.

The problem with 'looks' formulas for me is that they'd need to take into account the eye of the beholder problem (indirectly mentioned by several folks above).

I have no idea how varied the appearances are among different Fallen factions, but presumably they share a general level of what would look like 'distortion' to unmodified humans, and Fallen would almost certainly look on unmodified humans as at best 'lacking something' and probably just plain ugly. Unless, of course, we are lucky enough to have xenophilia as a cultural trait for factions and one crew on either side simply loved how unpredictably 'lovely' cross-breeds might look.

February 3, 2010 1:56:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the childrens' genetic code idea.  Please keep it in game even if it results in horrid grandchildren. 

Other ideas, such as the xenophobia one discussed above, are also good ones.

From a gameplay perspective, I could see my powerful empire forcing a weak kingdom to marry their beautiful princess to my troll ugly son.  Or, perhaps, I would have a difficult and unpleasant daughter who I tell to either do as I say or I will marry her off to the goblin lord.

February 3, 2010 2:07:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about no?

February 3, 2010 2:38:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

What if, for instance, you had other xenophobic sovereigns whom frown upon you if you marry your children off to partners whom are not your own race? Or simply with political enemies of their own?

I would love to see xenophobia specifically included in the diplo/dynastic modeling. To me, it wouldn't really be a dynasty system at all if it didn't include your latter basic point. "How dare you accept a Prince of Kraxis into your house? Our trade agreements are hereby nullified. Do not speak to us again until your house is clean of Kraxis filth."

That definately needs to go in.

Also you coudl also have sovering that will refuse to marryt heir child to you even if you are in very good terms simpyl because they don't want their bloodline mixed with an other race. It would add very deep psychological sense to the game genetecs mechanics and political as well.

February 3, 2010 3:53:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Myles,
I want to create the ugliest race of Sovereign descendants ever seen. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you're opinion is universal.

Creating an ugly race, so easy a cave man could do it.

February 3, 2010 4:08:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I looove the xenolphobia/philia idea! Attractiveness modeling can be actually made fairly complex with a few simple equations and many independant variables, like this:

• Traits come in two types: sliding and swapping:
    • "Sliding" traits are things like skin tint, nose length, leg thickness, et cetera that can be shown on a continuum broken up into discrete integers.
    • Swapping traits are things like skin texture, warts, extra arms, and such: either you have them, or you don't.
  • Each faction has several specific presets, which are duplicated for each trait:
    • "beautiful": what trait value they think the ideal (wo)man should have in that specific area. Scales, fur, milky white eyes, and so on.
    • "weight" for each trait: how much value they place on that trat for attractiveness.
    • "tolerence": how much (or little) deviation from the "ideal" will affect attractiveness. A xenophobic faction would have mostly positive tolerence values, while a xenophilic one would be mostly negative.
  • Thus, attractiveness can be measured as: Average((trait one weight)*(trait one attractiveness value), (trait 2 weight)*(trait 2 attractiveness value), (trait 3 weight)*(trait 3 attractiveness value)...). )(Bear in mind that negative is "ugly", positive is "hot", and 0 is "meh".
  • Individual attractiveness values would be calculated by:
    • weight*((1+absolutevalue(beautiful - trait)/intolerence) for swapping traits, and
    • weight*(-(absolutevalue(beautiful - trait)/intolerence) for sliding ones
    • (I think these equations are right.... maybe not).......
February 3, 2010 5:09:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"tolerence": how much (or little) deviation from the "ideal" will affect attractiveness. A xenophobic faction would have mostly positive tolerence values, while a xenophilic one would be mostly negative.

I really like the idea here, because naturally (though not guaranteed) people will be attracted to people of their own kind. We've never had any real world experience. But I would think the whole "falling in love with aliens" theme you see in movies wouldn't be the case in real life... and I don't know if the equations are right, but they sure do look good to me!

As for the OP, I don't want to see this eliminated at all. I only hope they can get it right enough to even make "attractive" people (not to mention unique!!). I'm not concerned about there being ugly people, I'm sure there will be plenty of those  lol making attractive people, especially because of what GW said about "eye of the beholder", is the real problem I think the devs are going to run into.

February 3, 2010 5:48:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RisingLegend,

I really like the idea here, because naturally (though not guaranteed) people will be attracted to people of their own kind. We've never had any real world experience. But I would think the whole "falling in love with aliens" theme you see in movies wouldn't be the case in real life... and I don't know if the equations are right, but they sure do look good to me!

I take it you've never heard of furries.

February 3, 2010 8:15:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ran through the equations, and they seem pretty sound.... I realize my math oversimplifies the process a bit (and doesn't really allow things like a faction that has fur but finds exoskeletons sexier than scales when push comes to shove), but over all I'm pretty satisfied..... one wonders how many traits we'll be dealing with, and if they'll be moddable.

February 3, 2010 8:35:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is this a serious request? I can't tell if he's joking or not.

February 3, 2010 9:27:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My bet is that op is trolling. Although i am glad of it since some nice ideas came out of it.

February 3, 2010 9:38:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I concour. I'm not a troll, but I imagine the worst thing for them is to watch a flame post (d?)evolve into insightful conversation .

February 4, 2010 12:14:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not a troll, but I imagine the worst thing for them is to watch a flame post (d?)evolve into insightful conversation

So true!

urrgl urgll...

February 4, 2010 12:35:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While he seems to be serious, I don't think he's trolling -- he means well enough.  It's just that most of us (including myself) disagree with his opinion.  The "genetics code" is a feature I'm definitely looking forward to! 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001844   Page Render Time: