Starting an Elemental Fan Site

Do you want to get involved?

By on November 13, 2008 11:36:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Spartan

Join Date 03/2006
+171

I want to set up an Elemental fan site and I'm looking for serious and committed community members to get involved. I'll cover all the setup costs and whatnot. So I wanted to know if anyone interested and what domain name do you guys would work best?

Locked Post 91 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 13, 2008 11:46:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

serious and committed
I'm right out then.   

November 13, 2008 11:57:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

serious and committedI'm right out then.   

No worries we still have an opening for a mascott

Hey do you think Frogboy get hopping mad if we used elementalgame.net? I'm having a hard time coming up with a cool name since the title is so ubiquitous in scope.

November 14, 2008 12:05:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

gamersinourelement.com

There you go.

November 14, 2008 12:18:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tamren,
gamersinourelement.com

There you go.

Cute pun but is does not have that somethin' somethin' going for it. It appears that squatters have taken all the obvious names already sadly enough. There really should a law against that shit. Use it or lose it and dont resell it for more then you paid.

November 14, 2008 12:19:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey do you think Frogboy get hopping mad if we used elementalgame.net? I'm having a hard time coming up with a cool name since the title is so ubiquitous in scope.
I think an email to Stardock (or a ping in IRC) would be in order.  Start with Cari_Elf.

November 14, 2008 3:57:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elementalfanatics.com

November 14, 2008 4:24:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey Spartan,

I'd like to help you out in this endevor. I've been apart of a few fan sites before, and since I'm am definatly looking forward to Elemental, being part of a good fan site would be great.

As for a domain name hmm... mental4elemental.com, elementalwom.com, not-mom.com hehe I do like the elementalfanatics.com too.

November 14, 2008 4:26:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Hey do you think Frogboy get hopping mad if we used elementalgame.net? I'm having a hard time coming up with a cool name since the title is so ubiquitous in scope.I think an email to Stardock (or a ping in IRC) would be in order.  Start with Cari_Elf.

PM to Ms. Cair Elf. I hope she does not mind that I'm a drow.

@Condar - ROFL! I was really thinking about NotMoM.com since it is so popular with the SD community at least. I have ask SD for permission to use the official name with a .net domain. So lets see what happens.

@NorsemanViking - A nice one. I want to wait until I hear from SD about using the official one and if they say no then I'll take a vote of all the people that want to get involved and use that name.

November 14, 2008 6:07:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

afraid i can't help you out with such technical stuff, however i can give you (yet more    ) karma for suggesting it 

November 14, 2008 7:44:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What sort of thing do you expect the volunteer to get involved in? Content? Moderation?

What about using these guys as a base http://www.heavengames.com/ ? I only suggest it cause I quite like the aow2 fansite they run, it;s pretty active and well laid out. I dunno how one goes about getting a new fan page up there though.

November 14, 2008 7:56:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Spartan and I were talking about this and I think we'll probably need a variety of help.  I've offered to contribute content and general ideas, but someone good with graphics and web layout would be good, as well as others who'd like to add in info.

I'll post some ideas and concepts about the site here later.

November 14, 2008 8:13:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Reliant,
Spartan and I were talking about this and I think we'll probably need a variety of help.  I've offered to contribute content and general ideas, but someone good with graphics and web layout would be good, as well as others who'd like to add in info.

I'll post some ideas and concepts about the site here later.

Well, I could occasionally add info/proof read existing article (not for grammar but wrong information), add some modding information perhaps when the beta arrives.

Not regularly and not too much, but if it could helpful, let me know.

November 14, 2008 8:48:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

About the only contribution I'd be able to make (eventually) is forum helper/mod helper (so uh, same thing I do for Sins, really).

If that's something you need, I'm all for it.

November 14, 2008 10:08:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Feet,
What sort of thing do you expect the volunteer to get involved in? Content? Moderation?

What about using these guys as a base http://www.heavengames.com/ ? I only suggest it cause I quite like the aow2 fansite they run, it;s pretty active and well laid out. I dunno how one goes about getting a new fan page up there though.

I already admin a couple sites and have a forum system on modcraft.net So I already have a home base. I want people who are interested in getting involved in the site for content and if they are interested moderation would be fine as well. It really depends on the person to be frank. Time is my issue since I work 16+ hours a day six day a week and often seven days. Consequently I dont want to be the primary guy for content. I do a lot of stuff on these forums while getting ready for bed or in between clients when working as I can. However time like that is not reliable.

@Everyone - cool. I'll update the first post later with names. Sometime tonight I'll set up an elemental forum on my mod site. I'm waiting for word from SD about if they will not have any issues if I use the .net domain if they do we will have to pick another one.

November 14, 2008 10:18:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As far as content, I usually have a good chunk of free time during the day when I can scour the net a bit to dig up the new previews, interviews, etc.. if you need someone to do that.

So I guess.. forum moderator, mod section contributor (we really don't know much about this, but I'll probably end up writing some tutorials and such, dunno), news digger/poster?

November 14, 2008 10:20:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
As far as content, I usually have a good chunk of free time during the day when I can scour the net a bit to dig up the new previews, interviews, etc.. if you need someone to do that.

@Annatar11 - I really need someone who knows their shit with Sins to pick up the slack on the clansofsin.com site. All you would need to do is post thread in a news forums on modcraft.net and it auto updates the website.

November 14, 2008 10:32:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, Ron's been slacking that much.. I just checked the news there I should still have my modcraft account, so I can help out... already a few things there I could post

November 14, 2008 10:33:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can help.  I have been kicking around the idea of starting one myself.

I am a web application developer by trade (SQL and CF).

ElementalFanatic(s).org or something like that would be nice.

Sammual

Frogboyfanclub.org

ElementalNotMoMFans.org

November 14, 2008 10:42:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboyfanclub.org

I lol'd Well, the .net domain would be great if SD doesn't mind, otherwise ElementalFanatic/s has a nice ring to it.

November 14, 2008 11:49:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do web/db programming for a living so if there's something along those lines you want let me know and I'll see if I have time.  As far as straight-up html web pages, if given the graphics and layout desired I can generally make it happen.

November 14, 2008 11:57:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't have alot of technical expertise for web programming or much creative expertise for designing, but if you need a work horse to do boring stuff, one thing I do have right now is a reasonable amount of time and enthusiasm for this game. I wish I could bring more to the table than that, but if you need that then let me know.

November 14, 2008 12:25:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Wow, Ron's been slacking that much.. I just checked the news there I should still have my modcraft account, so I can help out... already a few things there I could post

Sweet - please have at it. There is an x-pack out soon and some pimps would be great. We get a lot of traffic on the site. I do my best to promote SD and its titles.

Yeah Ron has been busy with school. You know the deal modcraft is for learning coding and mod making and real school comes first for the guys. It is kind of like my digital community service learning project. I cover all the expenses and let the community try to create whatever they want. I wish when I was much younger someone would have done something like that for me. My life may be very different then it is now. I could be working at SD as Frogboys wingman.

Quoting Sammual,
I can help.  I have been kicking around the idea of starting one myself.

I am a web application developer by trade (SQL and CF).

Awesome. I'm sure my codecritters would love another friend in the herd. They are very busy to say the least. We would still need a graphics person.

Quoting keithLamothe,
I do web/db programming for a living so if there's something along those lines you want let me know and I'll see if I have time.  As far as straight-up html web pages, if given the graphics and layout desired I can generally make it happen.

Really? You can graphics? That would rock. I was thinking of basically doing a knock-off of the current site. That would be great.

Quoting Feet,
I don't have alot of technical expertise for web programming or much creative expertise for designing, but if you need a work horse to do boring stuff, one thing I do have right now is a reasonable amount of time and enthusiasm for this game. I wish I could bring more to the table than that, but if you need that then let me know.

That would be great. I want to use Joolma as the front end. Do you know it?

BTW: I dont use IRC since I'm dyslexic, the main reason I never became a codemonkey and made my own games, and I grew to really dislike IRC culture over the years to boot. I do have 100 person Ventrilo server at CD quality bandwidth running for the project teams at modcraft if you guys want to use it to get organized or simply shoot the shit.

November 14, 2008 12:38:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sweet - please have at it. There is an x-pack out soon and some pimps would be great. We get a lot of traffic on the site. I do my best to promote SD and its titles.

So I got proper access and everything now? I got my lunch break at work coming up soon and I'll throw together some updates for the site then, some previews/vids, and yadda yadda..

November 14, 2008 12:43:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What do you mean when you want people that would add "content"?

November 14, 2008 12:57:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

So I got proper access and everything now? I got my lunch break at work coming up soon and I'll throw together some updates for the site then, some previews/vids, and yadda yadda..

I hope so. I added you to the webdev group so you should be able to post to the news forum if the guys did not change things on me.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time: