Thanks, Stardock, for still supporting this fantastic game. You really got the 4x thing right with this. But I'm still seeing some bothersome bugs. I have a vanilla, unmodified, reinstalled version. I opted into the latest beta, but saw these bugs before then:
* The Arena quest is appearing multiple times on the map. It crashes before I can gather rewards from it; this is a reliable, reproducible crash and I've had two consecutive games with the Arena appearing twice.
* Wandering, unaffiliated heroes spawn over and over. Kill them and on the next turn, they appear a square or two away, kill them, reappear, kill them, etc....
* On rare occasions, I've seen enemy archers stack on top of each other in the combat screen (I've not seen more than two do this), which makes it impossible to target just one -- not to mention it's clearly a bug.
* The terrain z-axis does funny things with LOS. Sometimes, units cannot be targeted behind a hill, even after rounding the hill. I have to engage with melee to bring them down, although the enemy units have no problem with LOS from their location.
* And a cheat: I auto-combat dragons because, apparently, the AI doesn't take the Fear or fire breath abilities into consideration for auto-combat. They're way easier to kill that way.
I've also had random game crashes -- sometimes as frequently as every third turn, reliably. It seems dependent on the leaders chosen by the AI or maybe just one bugged leader. I can go entire games with very few to no crashes, but can get caught up in very frustrating games of turn, turn, turn, crash, repeat. I've looked at the err.log and it doesn't give me any useful info. I've deleted the data.zip with little to no success for this -- but that doesn't stop me from trying.
I'm not silly enough to think all these things will be fixed, but I'm heartened by you still digging into the code from time to time. If I can be of any help for error logs, etc., please let me know.