Since Crusade is likely to redo some of the faction system, I am procrastinating on finalizing my other mods for distribution. Between my own illness and the terminal illness of a family member, I've had a LOT of time to work on ship sets. Most of these have factions already for them. Some of these factions were inspired by factions from Steam (due credit will be given), some are right off Steam and will not come with a separate .faction sheet so you have to subscribe to the original author (I have contacted one owner, and he is ok with this, at least in one case). My plan is to give these the CFS treatment, with unique color schemes, interfaces, maybe even new materials, and, of course, the all-important shipset.
Here's a little preview. Some of these aren't the best images, sorry. I should note: I don't use much animation, mostly because my computer is limited. I subscribe to the Star Trek model of starships, with no turrets, almost hidden weapons, no rocket exhaust, etc. I also make no claim to being as creative as Gauntlet, nor as original as Seilore. And I seem to have this thing with Altarian and Thalan parts...
Obviously, these are just samples. I tend to do about 5-6 hulls per size.
1) The Caimanoid Conspiracy: this is my test race, and my baby. Their ships are based on a pistachio with one shell missing. These guys are super-paranoid, so they only use one engine. Why would you use two... unless you expect one to fail?
2) The Mirrion Symphony (Seilore's Faction, slightly modified). These guys are eyeless, so their ships are a neutral color (third images is correct color and material), and they have sensory tentacles like their owners. Their ships also have no windows, except those on culture starbases, where other races are expected to cohabitate.
3) The Dolph: another 'borrowed' race, but this one may not make the cut with the original owner. I see the race as kind of simple and doofy, so their ships are meant to look a little silly. However, I think I stretched the textures too much. I am in the process of adding an angular superstructure which might help balance the design. Maybe. They sure are ugly! The wings on the smaller ships flap slowly. Because blowfish.
4) The Ariowzen: their ships are black triangles. If you don't respect your planet, or if you help the Chthonian League ("The Lava Men"), Lord Kinbote will kidnap you. The black isn't great, and note that the image is altered so they show up better.
5) The Craiquin (name based on a Steam Faction) are a group from a Precursor Prison. They say they are Dread Lords, and they say the prison was theirs. Funny, though, they seem to have lost much of the Dread Lord's technology. But they try really hard to make their ships look like Dread Lord ships.
6) The Foresaken are kind of like the Craiquin, only possibly Arnorian. They appear to be a race of 'partly ascended' beings; they have one or two features of ascended races, like extreme intelligence, foreknowledge of some other factions, and the ability to form a glowing energy body when threatened or showing off. Their ships are kind of star-treky or generic. The small ones are very individualized, while larger ships are all of the same design. All have very small crews, as the Foresaken are few in number.
7) The Kzin (from a Steam contribution, although that was adapted from Larry Niven. The ship style is based on the Kzinti fleet from the old tabletop game Starfleet Battles. Note that the image is altered so they show up better.
8) The Psylax: a race of silicon-based amoeboids. Their ships look like their logo and the Starship Defiant from DS9, and they scintillate like Psylax skin. 'Nuff said.
9) Vic Vipers: No race yet, and too late of NoVVember, but this race follows the NNENN Rules for Vic Vipers as much as possible.
10) Guomini Harsinthar: No pictures. They use flying saucers.
11) Buck Rodgers: I'd like to do an old-school, rocket-ship set, but it isn't working too well.
12) Cruddy Style: I have a number of really ugly ships that were supposed to be Dolph until I realized they were a) too dumb, and Snathi ships are dumb enough. I'd like to revisit this.
13) The Chthonian League: Rock ships? THese are the arch-enemy of the Ariowzen.
GRAB BAG) Everyone has boilerplate ships, I do too. But I don't want them to be human, so I'm still working on coming up with a new race with slightly different shapes within the angles-looks like a gun-antenna clusters-big-turrets genre that seems so very popular. The Chrome Cohesion is a Steam faction. The ball doesn't work perfectly, but my concept of them is that EVERY hull and base they have is a silver sphere. Too bad the model sucks. The bat things are a concept I haven't really developed.
So, what do you think?