All right; I'll bite.
For the most part, I would argue that there are two types of mods available for this game.
1. There are the genuine additional content or change the game mods
2. There are the patch mods that fix, fill, and round out the game where it just falls short.
I myself enjoy playing the game...as I would argue...as it was meant to be played. At no point to I think these mods make the game 'worse' or else I wouldn't play with them.
Here is the list of Genuine mods I play with:
- Black Market Bazaar -- because more stuff is always better.
- Champion Bonanza -- because more stuff is always better.
- Outpost Upgrades -- because more stuff is always better.
- River Bridge -- because more stuff is always better
- Swamp Tiles -- because more stuff is always better
- Paladin Path -- because more stuff is always better
- Vaynar -- because more stuff is always better
- Necromancy Revamped -- because more stuff is always better
Here is the list of Patch mods I play with:
- Armored Militia -- City Defenders get armor, dependent on techs they acquire
- Armor Attributes -- Allows the AI to make more informed decisions about Chainmail and Platemail
- Bound Elementals -- Needed for custom sovereign creation.
- Bunny Slippers & Lollypop Removal for DLC3 -- because those items belong in Eastereggs, not the actual game.
- Death Adept Ability -- Needed for custom sovereign creation.
- Female Henchmen -- Purely aesthetic
- Improved Monsters -- to increase the monsters difficulty through experience and movement. (don't think this one is offered anymore)
- Improved Undead for DLC4 -- because the AI can't play the undead if their life depended on it. This mod helps.
- MQP Sovereign Revamp for DLC5 -- which gives unique coloring to each race.
- nonChampionsDie -- Allows henchmen to die, which I find vital to the balance of the game.
- Snaking -- because multi tile cities should have the ability to collect resources by snaking towards them.
- Weaknesses -- Useful for custom sovereign creation (don't think this one is offered anymore)
- Wonderbase -- Allows you to 'race' wonder completion.
- Monument XP bonus -- allows for city stationed troops/heroes to gain XP
- Maul Change -- fixes the Maul ability
- Unique City Defenders -- adds defenders dependent on the city type to give more emersion
One day I truly hope SD is willing to take the time and go through the list of Patch mods available for this game and address them, either by adding the content into the game or changing the game in a fulfilling way so that the patches are no longer required. It's not fair to the common user who doesn't like modding games to receive an incomplete product.