I've recently played a 4x TBS game that shows an UI that is one of the best I've seen in these kind of games, because it's so clean and user-friendly.
I've created this post with a double intention:
1) Recommend SD devs to look at it if haven't yet.
2) Ask the devs and the community in general if this kind of suggestions (about UI or other aspects in other games) is allowed/wellcomed in the forums. If not, then please delete this post.
The game is called Endless space. I'm not going to talk about if it is good or not in overall, but the UI that it shows, is very clean and helps a lot in empire-managing. Each game needs to diferenciate from the rest, and UI is a way to do so, but there are some features that I really don't mind to see in different (4x) games, as they are very very helpful.
Like FE, it shows the notifications with button circles at the right side of the screen, but with this particularity:
- All notifications can be minimized, so you can manage them at will.
- Only a button for planets (cities) building notifications. The number of notifications is then decreased. The button opens a screen with the list of all planets that finish building in the turn, and shows the next thing in queue, if any. Clicking there takes you to the planet screen. So you can easily see if any queue is empty, and what is going to start building. Managing a growing empire with this system is very easy. Not perfect becuse it don't tells you if planets are long idle (the zZZ in FE is better for this, if they appeared all together, instead of having to scroll, good be great), but it works really fine.
- Hero leveling up, global events, diplomacy events and even combats can be minimized, as said. You can think about them, consult the empire, and then go to decide each one, with the order prefered. We are talking about TBS, so the player deciding the order of them should not break inmersion too much...
- If you press next turn and no current research, it displays a message recalling it. This is not an issue in FE as the research system is automatized (you must always choose a tech after finishing one, except in the first turn of the game). But the recall for that first turn would be nice. It recalls you in the second turn
Well, that said, now I ask the people if you think that is good to give ideas from other games to improve certain aspect of FE (UI in this case), or better not. And if you think that devs might "take" features from other games that might improve game experience (UI in this case), or not.
Please, note that my only intention is having a discussion about it. I'm just a player like you that wants the best for my favourite games