Thoughts from a Weekend of Play Testing:
1) The game is now dangerously fun when properly modded. As in I have drank half a pot of coffee so far this morning at work and did not see the bed before 2am this weekend. This is the good kind of dangerous.
2) Grasping Vines effect tile in v.3 == Golden. Really nice work on this John_!
@Murteas: I think you should pull the lore text off of this description, it shrinks the entire block of text too much to read easily. If / when they change UI to have more lore/flavor available for spells via the interface, then we can always add it back in.
3) The art upgrades for Shelliagh & Dagger look really good on the guardian models, makes them stand out even more. Combined with my sub mod they also give them some special abilities that play nicely. Not sure if AI will use them yet, as the one time I faced down a "Destroyer" I used Grasping Vines to hold him safely away from me.
4) The AI IS using some spells well at least; it is also summoning the special weapons. (Have a screenshot of Golem King holding the Dagger of Death while threatening me) Sar the Returner killed my severely weakened (but retreated behind line) champion fighter with it so he would have enough juice next turn to use Arcane Arrow on my pet umberdroth, killing him too. Having Sar kill my entire army around me intelligently with spells was the first time I have felt anything like a "Wizard's Duel" going on in this game, and it was awesome. (seemed to wait to really unleash until I had chewed through his units and weakend mine) Has anyone seen the AI use the new Battlefield spells yet?
5) I did not have a chance to do a new Ice tile this weekend; in wizardly fashion I got distracted summoning forth the Felbeast from the graveyard of Gnilbert's mod. Unfortunately I was not able to contain the creature, and it busted loose to roam the wilds (planning on submitting to ACP pending no objections).
On the good side I now know how to create a monster. Rob Zombie musical score optional.
I think the summoned monsters are currently kind of weak, and could use some additions. I don't want to just add a bunch of graphically cookie cutter stuff to the game though, it gets old. Therefore I wanted to put out a call / challenge to the artists & modelers out there: Create some new skins / models and lets add some summons!
Criteria: should fit in with larger game asthetic, and you need to be willing to listen to feedback about the rule set. (I wanted balanced fun toys, not the unstoppable uber hulk of doom "L33t Broken")
Suggestion: I loved Master of Magic; could someone do a "Phantasmal Spearman" model? I was thinking something translucent like the ghosts, only glowing and blue. Can keep it armed with a spear so that it picks up "Pierce" under Updated Weapons to play similar.