For those out there who feel that editing XML files might be too confusing (or, like me, are just too lazy to go editing through tons of XML-files manually) I'd like to present a small unit-editor. What i've tried to do with it is to make it as easy to fill in most of the data as possible, with dynamic lists for items like sound-effects, background-images and equipment that will update themselves as you add more content to the game.
Ok, with Beta 4 now out i've been able to go along way towards finishing this editor. It now automatically builds list of the following things:
- Unit Prerequisites (Technologies)
- Eye textures / skin textures (With thumbnaills)
- Animations (With thumbnaills)
- Talents and abilities
- Background and medallion images (With thumbnaills)
- Equipment (With thumbnaills)
- Spellbooks (With lists of spells contained in the book)
- Soundeffects (With playback of the soundeffects from the editor)
Still left to do:
- Automatic list-creation of units for easy editing
- General error-handling, editor is still too sensitive to typo's in the xml files (Which you'll discover the first time you run it, since there's an typo in one of the official stardock equipment xml files)
- Automatic list-creation for ModelPath and UnitModelType (Editor currently always uses Gfx\HKB\Units\K_Male_Mesh_01.hkb and KingdomMale respectively)
- Implementing editing of xml files and support for xml-files containing multiple units. Currently only the "SaveAs" button works and not the "Save".
Huge thanks to John Hughes for having the patience to test this for me.
If anyone wants to try it out then the latest version can be found here.