any idea how to hide cd/dvd drive in win10

By on December 2, 2015 3:36:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

alaknebs

Join Date 08/2010
+5

i don't mean disable it. i mean hide it or move it well away from the other drives when you use programs like 7zip and display the folder tree. when moving/extracting files, i keep misclicking the wrong drive and hitting the dvd drive instead of another hdd and causing the dvd drive tray to ram my case door. been doing it for years

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 3, 2015 7:05:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

my usual trick (in windoze (almost any version)) is to use drive manager to move the optical drives letters to the tail end of the range eg x,y,z, BUT I have not yet got around to testing this method in winHEX, so can not state that it does work, but it does in all previous windoze

harpo the ghost NON-subscriber

December 3, 2015 8:09:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Buy another case. Then just use your DVD tray for a drink holder.

December 3, 2015 10:50:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

new machine. the old machine did the same thing.. or rather i did the same thing with the old machine. hell,  the dvd drive in the old machine bites discs (it opens and then shuts immediately)..

moving it to the tail end doesn't work, because it's already at the tail end (arbitarily named t:\) and the drive that i extract/move stuff to is the one right above that. i suppose i could move that drive above a different drive (away from the cd/dvd) so i won't misclick so easily...

i also noticed that it only seems to be a real problem when moving/extracting stuff in 7zip. or rather, i wouldn't notice it in file explorer or vlc (which seems to be just using the native win10 file explorer), because if the drive is empty, it simply won't even show up in the drive tree.

cheers for the thoughts.

just wondering.. what would happen if i disable the optical drive in windows (and only re-enable it when i need to use it... probably extremely rare) whilst leaving it alone in bios? i can still boot with a dvd if i have an emergency because it's not disabled in bios, right?

December 3, 2015 4:59:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

new machine. the old machine did the same thing.. or rather i did the same thing with the old machine. hell,  the dvd drive in the old machine bites discs (it opens and then shuts immediately)..

moving it to the tail end doesn't work, because it's already at the tail end (arbitarily named t:\) and the drive that i extract/move stuff to is the one right above that. i suppose i could move that drive above a different drive (away from the cd/dvd) so i won't misclick so easily...

i also noticed that it only seems to be a real problem when moving/extracting stuff in 7zip. or rather, i wouldn't notice it in file explorer or vlc (which seems to be just using the native win10 file explorer), because if the drive is empty, it simply won't even show up in the drive tree.

cheers for the thoughts.

just wondering.. what would happen if i disable the optical drive in windows (and only re-enable it when i need to use it... probably extremely rare) whilst leaving it alone in bios? i can still boot with a dvd if i have an emergency because it's not disabled in bios, right?
correct, it should work untill there is chipset driver update in windoze, and windoze decides to re-enable all attached to chipset devices,

but of the ideas you have the one of moving the destination drive is the better idea

harpo, the ghost NON-subscriber

December 3, 2015 11:50:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I always set my optical drive to drive z:.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: