City Sieges

Please tell me these will be improved

By on January 30, 2015 3:55:38 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

mrtrevorcooper

Join Date 05/2012
+6

Does the image below indicate how city sieges will be implemented?

The castle walls, looming in the background, look suitably formidable, but then all the defenders abandon these to stand behind a few sticks? Please tell me that the final release will look less ridiculous? Contrast this with AOW3's city sieges below...

Locked Post 36 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2015 4:09:08 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Beware the Ball Pit of Doom!!!  And you can unlock the Colossal Pizza Mouse summons that can lob cold awful pizzas and cheap trinkets at your enemies!              (+5 loose bowels and they must remain within 2 squares of a latrine).

February 12, 2015 4:46:30 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

February 12, 2015 5:15:22 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Does it have a frickin' laser beam attached to it's head?

Image result for frickin' laser beam attached to its head

February 13, 2015 2:30:39 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I've designed the perfect cover for Sorcerer King...behold!

I think it captures the true essence of SK - brave warriors protecting their fragile castles with their bodies. 

I assume the cunning Sorcerer King has already deflated & stored his castle safely away, by the time of the final battle, which is why it's nowhere to be seen?

February 13, 2015 8:37:45 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

"brave warriors protecting their fragile castles with their bodies. .."  Oh!! So that's why they call them Tower shields!

Well, the SK is a little embarrassed about this... but he forgot to stake his castle down and then he cast Guardian Wind... {shrugs}.  That's the real reason his lieutenants roam the lands, he wants his castle back.  

February 14, 2015 1:02:53 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I believe the size of the battle map is too small to have a siege battle any more complex than it is.  My fights rarely last longer than one turn, it would be kind of pointless to have a more in-depth city siege when the defenders are going to evaporate anyway.

SK's complexity does not come from the actual battles but more the ability to control multiple fronts as you control more territory and try to defend more shards.

February 14, 2015 5:20:41 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Just to come back into the discussion. I do like SK very much, I do not think that city sieges or even cities themselves need to be a feature of the game. The battle maps are small and that is fine.

Nevertheless, the game mode that represents a city siege does not feel right, as it currently stands. 

February 17, 2015 4:59:13 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I don't think the size of the battlefield is an issue, as the walls need only take up one square and these squares would still be occupiable to allow troops to be set atop the battlements. But I guess it's safe to assume, from the deafening silence of the devs, that this isn't going to ever be addressed? Which is a crying shame, as it's an immersion breaker and, for myself, a game & deal breaker. 

February 17, 2015 9:10:14 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Even if they just made it visually a smaller gatehouse/bailey to wrest control of.  Heck that could be a new victory condition for the attacker, if you get a unit on the magic square that represents the raising gate/portcullis mechanism, they take the city.  Especially perilous for the player with those pesky darklings.

February 19, 2015 9:02:21 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting mrtrevorcooper,

But I guess it's safe to assume, from the deafening silence of the devs, that this isn't going to ever be addressed?

Not safe to assume. Stardock devs tend to watch the community debate these issues rather than inserting themselves. I am sure they have read the thread and are aware of the issue. That doesn't mean they will change anything, but Stardock not commenting doesn't mean they are not considering the issue.

February 19, 2015 11:21:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NaytchSG,

Even if they just made it visually a smaller gatehouse/bailey to wrest control of.  Heck that could be a new victory condition for the attacker, if you get a unit on the magic square that represents the raising gate/portcullis mechanism, they take the city.  Especially perilous for the player with those pesky darklings.

..interesting idea^

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: