Finding lieutenants

By on January 29, 2015 2:30:39 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

a0152570

Join Date 06/2014
+41

lieutenants sometimes can be very hard to locate.  How about a spell or artifact to help?  Doesn't have to find their exact location (although probably the easiest to implement),  it could be something that points you in the right direction or some kind of a 'your getting warmer/colder indication.

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 29, 2015 5:12:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not sure I agree. Finding lieutenants is a major motivation for exploring the map. Give away LT location and the map and its features for that game iteration become even less relevant to gameplay. Also, you have less strategic pressure. Searching for the LTs forces you to divide your forces indefinitely while they hunt for the LT, lessening the effectiveness of turtling in a corner of the map.

January 29, 2015 5:50:49 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Excellent points and i guess i kinda agree.  What motivated me to post was i had 2 games where i had explored the entire map and some how missed them, forcing me to take my scout across the whole map again.  Fully equipping with +1/+2 sight crafts helps a bunch but it is still a long hike to re-explore med. and up maps.   Also, you may find them early and by the time your ready to take then on you forget the general area or they moved on   

January 29, 2015 7:43:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting a0152570,

It is still a long hike to re-explore med. and up maps.   Also, you may find them early and by the time your ready to take then on you forget the general area or they moved on   

That does sound annoying. I just hesitate to agree that a 'find LTs' spell is the right fix. Your problem sounds like it might be more a map size problem.

January 30, 2015 6:16:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Would a skill after the skill with +1 to cast tactical spell be an option placed late in the skill tree be a solution.

I mean by the time you reach the later parts of the game you have probably also gained a lot of the skills in the sovereigns skill tree. Hence skill for pointing in the right direction of lieutenants would not be overpowered/misuse.  

The skill could have different names such as Evil compass for the Tinker, seek evil (displaying points on the map with signifcant monster with a combat rating of 50+ until 'end turn') for the Priest, Jealous sovereign for Tyrant, Compass of Power for Wizard etc. 

January 30, 2015 8:49:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I often find that the lieutenants come looking for me.

Real easy to locate when they are at your doorstep....

January 30, 2015 3:24:45 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting thimon2k,

Would a skill after the skill with +1 to cast tactical spell be an option placed late in the skill tree be a solution.

I mean by the time you reach the later parts of the game you have probably also gained a lot of the skills in the sovereigns skill tree. Hence skill for pointing in the right direction of lieutenants would not be overpowered/misuse.  

The skill could have different names such as Evil compass for the Tinker, seek evil (displaying points on the map with signifcant monster with a combat rating of 50+ until 'end turn') for the Priest, Jealous sovereign for Tyrant, Compass of Power for Wizard etc. 

Now that would be a good way to do it.  It would be late game, presumably most/all of the map has been explored, and being a late skill you might even need to XP mining to get it.

January 30, 2015 3:27:22 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Borg999,

I often find that the lieutenants come looking for me.

Strange,  I have played all sovereigns, different maps , Several times,  and i have never had them come looking for me.  Now if i am close to them, then yes they tend to move at me.

January 31, 2015 6:34:22 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Enrage the SK enough he should send the lieutenants after you.   Either that, or create a blast gate spell for a lot of mana that allows you to get around the lieutenant finding if you're in mop-up phase.

February 7, 2015 8:03:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have spent the last hour looking for them  everywhere and I still haven't located them.

it would be good if there was some mechanism to try and locate them. e.g., rumours from people in the area

I am getting bored now as all I am doing is wandering around with a bunch of armies and scouts to locate the two people.

Why can't I just blow the gates down? That would be cool.

February 7, 2015 9:03:34 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I feel your pain.  And enraging the SK did not help.

My method- equip scout with 3 +2 sight and 3 +1 moves and you can scour the whole map quickly

February 8, 2015 8:50:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I never had a major issue finding them, i tend to uncover the majority of the map pretty early on up to small and medium maps, i haven't tried larger maps.

February 8, 2015 10:20:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I ended up running around with two scouts and found one army. I never found the second but the gates opened anyway witha single key - odd

Anyway it made for a very frustrating and boring end game

February 8, 2015 10:58:13 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting t_raft,

i tend to uncover the majority of the map pretty early on up to small and medium maps

Quoting ChungasRevenge,

I ended up running around with two scouts and found one army. I never found the second but the gates opened anyway witha single key - odd

I do too, my problems is i cant find them again when i am strong enough to take them on. Mt scout with massive sight & movrs makes pretty quick work of tracking them down again.

I have defiantly had this also.  I checked my inventory and indeed i had only one key.  Gate opened no problem.  Could be the other luie died by my outpost so i never got the key and the game understands this (good thing).  Belive i reported this as a bug some time back.

February 12, 2015 4:40:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The worst time I had finding a lieutenant was when he was hiding on an island. I was tracking back and forth across the map constantly trying to find any clue of him.

Eventually noticed a small patch of undiscovered land and had just gotten the summon boat spell so I went to check it out. Lo and behold...the big bugger was taking a vacation on an island...gah!

February 12, 2015 5:57:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you meant to be able to open the gate with only one key?  I'm very sure the other lieutenant was still alive, but it seems atm to require you to kill only one lieutenant to get through the gate.

February 12, 2015 6:02:23 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I just had the opposite problem: Around turn 40, right after I founded Avalan (2nd city), Vetrar + 2 brutes came looking for me (or the shard adjacent to my 1st city).  My L6 Tandis + 2 dwarves + 2 pikemen were estimated to have "crushing defeat", but Tandis wasting 1 turn on Inspire (+15% dodge) actually made Vetrar miss almost half his (many, many) swings.  (Vetrar must have Initiative 30 or so!!)  Halfway through, it occurred to me: oh duh I might as well cast Graveseal on him for yuks and more testing -- and then he killed the 4 peons first, and Tandis won   Vetrar can one-shot for 120+ hp damage, ugh.  I unlocked the achievement for beating a "crushing defeat" odds

Seriously tho ... it's a tad unfair to have Vetrar attack my 1st city when I'm still having trouble with Medium huts.  Saved me the bother, tho.  Tandis alone is actually faster by +1/turn, neener -- I might keep him that way and just solo a bunch of strongholds.

I love the lieutenant on an island.  I've started on an island before, so I think the lieutenant groups can never paradrop there (because they start on the map).  The sadistic DM can just paradrop monster rings onto your island, tho.

The DM should allow lieutenants + SK's strategic map magic to slowly construct a mole (spit of land connecting the mainland to an island city), e.g. by tearing down nearby forest hexes.  Alexander the Whodat did this to the (formerly-a-)fortress city of Tyr, and after a few weeks their citizens stopped laughing when it became clear to both sides that it was working, and would inevitably succeed.  (Today the "mainland" simply includes all of what used to be Tyr, and Alexander's land spit has had numerous roadways constructed upon it, including the modern highway.)  After that, he was Alexander the Not Bad ...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time: