Start 8

By on October 20, 2014 9:04:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

kona0197

Join Date 02/2003
+58

OK, so I have been playing with Windows 8 and 8.1 for the last few weeks. I got a bit feed up with the Metro UI so I installed Classic Shell. Got confused about all of the options so I installed Start 8. Easy to use, it does what I need. Looking to buy Start 8 here soon. So my question is what is Metro for when I use Start 8? Just a watse of hard drive space and coding?

Oh, Starkers - Windows 8 is not faster under the hood than 7 in my experience so far. Painfully slow.

Locked Post 23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 20, 2014 9:30:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've just started begun to use Start8 (and plan on buying it).

I have one issue: it's not compatible with (I think) most lightweight multi-desktop app there is: Desktops v2.0 by Sysinternals. The start button doesn't work on desktops from 2 to 4, only on the first one. Could you fix this guys?

October 20, 2014 10:11:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure what Desktops v2.0 does, but maybe try Fences by Stardock instead? That works well with Start8 on Win8.1. As well as making the fenced in areas, it allows dragging desktops sideways to setup multiple desktop views. If that is what the other program does, maybe that'll work for you?

October 20, 2014 10:42:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,

I'm not sure what Desktops v2.0 does, but maybe try Fences by Stardock instead? That works well with Start8 on Win8.1. As well as making the fenced in areas, it allows dragging desktops sideways to setup multiple desktop views. If that is what the other program does, maybe that'll work for you?

It's the most simple multidesktop app. No dragging stuff between desktops, etc. just changing desktops (ie. sets of open windows).

Thanks for recommendation. I'll take a look at Fences, but I'd prefer free software with as small footprint as possible.

October 20, 2014 11:07:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

I have one issue: it's not compatible with (I think) most lightweight multi-desktop app there is: Desktops v2.0 by Sysinternals. The start button doesn't work on desktops from 2 to 4, only on the first one. Could you fix this guys?

On my 4 monitor system, with DisplayFusion, Start 8 start buttons on all monitors work fine.....so it must be a Desktops by sysinternals problem. Maybe they should fix it.

October 21, 2014 1:21:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My mistake.  Should read what op said in full.    I love's my classic shell, it does everything I want and it's freeeeeeee.

October 21, 2014 1:23:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Start 8 is way better than Classic Shell.

October 21, 2014 1:31:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

That will be a Sysinternals problem, not Stardock's ...

October 21, 2014 8:47:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Gandhialf,

That will be a Sysinternals problem, not Stardock's ...

If you say so...

October 21, 2014 12:08:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Tattyhat,

I love's my classic shell, it does everything I want and it's freeeeeeee.

I never really understood how software ends up being free. What does the maker gain? How do they spend time and effort on a software, and give updates, support, etc. for free?

Unless the have the addons and ads that sometimes come with free stuff.

October 21, 2014 12:31:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Desktops v2.0 is free because Microsoft wants it free (Sysinternals is their division). (Just like Firefox is free exists because Google wants it to.)

Other software is free because programmer receives donations from happy customers.

Yet another software is free because programmer gets revenue from ads on his/her site or in the program (adware) (as you said).

etc.

October 21, 2014 1:00:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Google has nothing to do with Firefox. Separate companies.

October 21, 2014 4:56:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Google has nothing to do with Firefox. Separate companies.

The Mozilla Foundation is funded by donations and "search royalties". Since 2005, the vast majority of funds have come from Google Inc. (source)

I'm very sorry if I killed your idea of "free software" 

October 21, 2014 5:52:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I doubt the majority of donations for Firefox come from Google since Google has a competing browser.

October 21, 2014 6:05:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kona0197,

I doubt the majority of donations for Firefox come from Google since Google has a competing browser.

Look, it's a fact.

Why do they do this? With this money they are buying the most simple thing: Google being default browser search engine in Firefox. That's it.

October 21, 2014 6:12:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Firefox is a browser, not an operating system.

October 21, 2014 6:13:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Firefox is a browser, not an operating system.

Thanks, I've corrected it.

October 21, 2014 11:00:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Google is not always the default search engine. Depends what OS you are using. Some Linux distros use DuckDuckGo as the default search. Still, my point stands. I'm pretty sure Google isn't the biggest contributor to Firefox.

October 22, 2014 5:59:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Google is not always the default search engine. Depends what OS you are using. Some Linux distros use DuckDuckGo as the default search. Still, my point stands. I'm pretty sure Google isn't the biggest contributor to Firefox.

You can be "pretty sure" of everything, but facts are facts.

http://www.extremetech.com/internet/92558-how-browsers-make-money-or-why-google-needs-firefox

http://www.investopedia.com/stock-analysis/2012/how-do-internet-browsers-make-money-goog-msft-yhoo1227.aspx

etc.

October 22, 2014 2:06:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

...Rolls eyes...

October 22, 2014 2:57:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Making theatrical gestures doesn't change objective states of affairs   

October 22, 2014 3:10:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

What does the maker gain? How do they spend time and effort on a software, and give updates, support, etc. for free?
There IS a lot to be said for ego gratification.......and the "I made that" claim is a powerful incentive, for those that can, and do, create.

The difference between Priceless and Worthless far exceeds my ability to define it.

October 22, 2014 5:01:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Making theatrical gestures doesn't change objective states of affairs

....hence the

November 18, 2014 1:17:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So I bought Start8. Thanks for making it!

Now that all Stardock software is on sale I'd reconsider buying something more. Which is the best way to get multiple desktops on Windows 8 with SD software?

I'm particularly interested in one feature - I'd like to change between sets of open windows. I'd also be nice to be able to drag windows between sets (ie. desktops). Also: the more lightweight the better. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: