Reduce Doom Counter Spell - a Snowball mechanic?

By on October 13, 2014 9:40:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hedetet

Join Date 02/2012
+10

The Doom Counter controls the SK's power level (level and type of units spawned). If this is reduced, the game becomes easier, and eventually you will be able to bring it down to 0.

I'd suggest that instead of lowering the DC, it halves the rate at which it ticks.

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 13, 2014 10:45:21 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Or at least doesn't back down difficulty. Perhaps the max level it achieves in game is where difficulty stays locked. This way if you back the counter down 100, it doesn't change difficulty at all until the counter goes back up at least 101.

October 13, 2014 12:01:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I entirely agree. UNLESS that spell has a component that is a limited resource and that is difficult to acquire. Both these conditions are necessary.

October 13, 2014 1:08:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It straight up needs to have something to do with quests. Even if it costs 500 mana, I'm just going to be hoarding mana the entire game until I get it. Cast it twice/thrice, get another 100 turns. Even if it literally destroys a shard I'm still going to use it, because another 10 turns with less mana income still means I get more income than if doomsday arrived. At the very edge of doomsday, there is no price that isn't too high - sacrifice a city, lose half my spells... 

October 13, 2014 1:41:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Another thought - maybe instead of lowering the Doom Counter, it raises the goal. So visually the bar gets set back, and it delays the lose condition by the same amount of turns, but in terms of actual power wielded by the SK, there is no change. (and presumably when the SK reaches 500 he should be quite overpowering anyway, so it won't last much longer)

October 13, 2014 1:50:15 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting hedetet,

Another thought - maybe instead of lowering the Doom Counter, it raises the goal. So visually the bar gets set back, and it delays the lose condition by the same amount of turns, but in terms of actual power wielded by the SK, there is no change. (and presumably when the SK reaches 500 he should be quite overpowering anyway, so it won't last much longer)

That sounds interesting. So, if you add points to the total it takes for the SK to win, he could have the potential to become even stronger near end-game. That seems like it would make a decent trade-off.

October 13, 2014 5:02:28 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

SK's aggressiveness is heavily influenced by the THREAT level.  The Doomsday counter affects what types of creatures he has.  Obviously there's a balance but if he's coming at you instead of messing with killing bandits and shards, it's a very different experience.

October 13, 2014 7:38:59 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I don't like anything reducing the Doomsday counter either, it just seems like it's gaming the system too much. 

Another idea could be a Stasis-type spell: spend some mana to stop Doomsday gain for X number of turns (maybe influenced by # of shards) but at the end of the spell effect, the Dommsday counter jumps by double what it would have during that time.

Either a solution like those, or the reduce doomsday spell should be the special ability of one of the Sovereign classes.

October 13, 2014 11:05:43 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Not a huge fan of reducing the doomsday counter too, too much.

I hope that it is extremely expensive, at best.

October 14, 2014 6:33:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Thormodr,

Not a huge fan of reducing the doomsday counter too, too much.

I hope that it is extremely expensive, at best.

They would not break the whole mechanic, by making it easy. Trust Stardock a bit

October 14, 2014 9:29:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why not just double the mana cost each time you cast?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: