Games with story similar to Homeworld?

By on July 15, 2014 10:28:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall

Join Date 07/2008
+436

I was wondering if anyone knows about any PC games that share a similar story structure to Homeworld? By this I mean that there's a huge spaceship carrying the last of a people journeying across the stars to find their new home. It seems like a really compelling narrative to me.

Also, I was recently playing Space Run where you build a ship to haul cargo across space for money. I think there was a much more detailed game with a similar setting being produced, but I can't remember the name of it. The focus was much more on building the right ship from the start (in space run you build it as you go along). Does anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about? Edit: The game was named Starship Corporation

Locked Post 12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 15, 2014 12:28:31 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Sounds like at Battlestar Galactica MOD for a game.

July 15, 2014 6:03:56 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

A similar concept although old and I don't quite recommend is the game called Outpost. Where you try to load up a ship with limited supplies and try to survive on an inhospitable planet with these supplies. But it is more like a city builder than anything. Beyond that I cannot think of any type of game like Homeworld in narrative.

July 30, 2014 4:26:27 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

There is nothing like good old Homeworld... that game was gold

July 30, 2014 9:37:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

On the slim chances some Homeworld fans read this thread but haven't heard the news, Gearbox Software bought up the franchise and is working to update the engine, graphics and audio (on Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm and Homeworld 2) to work with modern OSes, and greatly enhanced graphical and audio fidelity.  They are really putting a strong foot forward on this, and are not merely upscaling the graphics nor audio using some cheap, lame filtering, but actually going back to the source material.  You can already pre-order the Collector's Edition on Amazon at http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6ZUOQE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=15ZJ7AJV97XRQ7S7E18B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 ... but so far as any fans know, the December 31 date of release on the Amazon page is just a placeholder and the actual release date for Homeworld Remastered is unknown.

I believe that, after this, Gearbox is eventually intending to create an all new Homeworld title from scratch (which would be Homeworld 3).  They've also granted a license to the original developers whom are developing a prequel (it was originally not going to officially tie in, prior to Gearbox granted the license) ... not set in space, but on Kharak before the clans united, when the derelict ship was found buried under desert sand.

November 29, 2014 10:03:46 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The only other games I know of which are similar and also play similar by the controls is Haegemonia: Legions of Iron + AddOn. You can find that game on steam and gog.com

It also adds planet colonization and star base building. Just like in Homeworld you start of with few fighter squadrons and later follow the dreadnoughts and carriers etc.

It was kinda fun to play I own both games in old retail store format.

And Chibiabos just posted you the best news of em all. Homeworld will be back in a new remastered edition + Homeworld Shipbreakers and eventually Homeworld3.

November 30, 2014 6:57:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AFAIK Alien Space should be a similar game, but I did not play it. 

November 30, 2014 8:48:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't seem to find a game named Alien Space with that theme, do you happen to have a link?

December 4, 2014 6:04:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mostly not on pc... but.. sega's phantasy star series has a load of generation ship type of thing. though it's rpg/mmorpg than rts/strat.

um... one of the planets blew up in ps2 i think and those ships were launched just before or some such. ps3 took place in one of them ships (really hits on the generation ship theme.. ppl inside don't even know it's a ship after a bunch of generations.). think the mmos take place on those ships too...

January 13, 2015 11:25:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

I can't seem to find a game named Alien Space with that theme, do you happen to have a link?

Sorry, Ancient Space, my bad.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ancient-space

But let's not forget... an Epic Amiga game called... "EPIC"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrco0txG9XY

Incredible soundtrack, atmosphere, story similar to Homeworld, but this one is an action game instead. I was amazed by it in the 90s. 

February 6, 2015 11:50:48 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Dunno if this is considered threadjacking, but ... Homeworld Remastered finally has a set release date:  FEBRUARY 25.  Less than three weeks away from the time of this post!  And its available on Steam for $29.74 with a 15% pre-order discount.  Dunno how much closer you could get to Homeworld in story, though, than, well, Homeworld.

February 7, 2015 12:54:20 AM from Offworld Trading Company Forums Offworld Trading Company Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

A similar concept although old and I don't quite recommend is the game called Outpost. Where you try to load up a ship with limited supplies and try to survive on an inhospitable planet with these supplies. But it is more like a city builder than anything. Beyond that I cannot think of any type of game like Homeworld in narrative.

Outpost 2 though.  That. game. That game. It is dated, now obviously... but the story, which with each mission you unlock a new chapter of. mmm mmm mmm.

I DO recommend that game. Hmm. how do I say this without spoilers... that story still affects my dreams.

And I think it is the story which is what the OP is after, yes? 

Try outpost 2. Its free now. 

http://www.outpost2.net/outpost2.php

and, back in the day, of course it was the music and video which took all the !!super valuable harddrive space!! Which is a separate download on that website, so dont forget it!

February 7, 2015 1:30:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

how? pseudo abandonware?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: