Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes 1.7 changelog

By on July 4, 2014 11:44:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+118

*** RELEASED IN BETA ***

To download the beta, do the following:

Right-click Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and choose Properties.
Select the BETAS tab.
In the drop-down menu, choose "1.7 Beta".
Close the Properties window.

If you don't see "1.7 Beta" in your list then you may need to restart Steam to get it to update.

Items marked with a * have been updated since the beta was released.

Features

Added support for class requirements on weapons, armor and items

Added the Banner of the Brave accessory, Army gets +1 Attack And +2 Defense, Commander only

Added Walderon’s Banner accesory, Army gets +1 Moves and +2 Initiative, Commander only

Added the Banner of Zad-Zabril accesory, Army gets +25% Fire Resistance, Commander only

Added the Mage's Staff weapons, ranged lightning damage, Mage only

TONS of new conversations

Modders can now create map stamps with starting point locations saved in them

Balance

Adept’s Robe is now Mage only and Defense increased from 1 to 2

Archmage’s Robe is now Mage only and Defense increased from 5 to 6

Mage’s Robe is now Mage only and Defense increased from 3 to 4

Impenetrable Tower Shield is now Defender only

Tectonic Bulwark is now Defender only

Shield of the Sentinel is now Defender only

Ring of Mastery is now Mage only

Wage costs are now proportional with group sizes (increased wage costs for larger groups)

Assassin’s Blade is now Assassin only

Sharp Longsword is now Assassin only

Serrated Longsword is now Assassin only

Legendary Longsword is now Warrior only

Brutal Trog Scimitar is now Warrior only

Bashing Maul is now Warrior only

Relations penalty for ambitious civs reduced to -1 from -2

Relations requirements for treaties eased so that you can have unfriendly relations and still make treaties

City population reqs to level up reduced slightly

Towns provide slightly more money per turn

War monger player relations penalty goes away after 10 game years

Wildlands will start to spawn increasingly nasty monsters in the unknown areas of the world the longer they are left around

Capitar faction stores sell things for 20% off

Bell Tower unrest reduction changed from 10 to 5

Fortress production bonus reduced

Reduced odds of Bacco the Beggar quest coming up

Reduced odds of other various quests from coming up (the ones we see 30% of each game apiece are now 10%)

Final quest boss combat speed increased from 22 to 40, HP increased from 500 to 600.

Ranged weapons now convey an accuracy penalty (harder to hit something with a ranged weapon than a melee weapon)

Sovereign mana production reduced from 2 to 1

Town Halls reduced to -10 Unrest instead of -20

Reduced the production cost of Harbors

Fixes

Fixed the cause of 80% of the 1.6 crashes

Fixed bug that caused the battle initiation window to display the wrong battle rating for the armies

Fixed weird pathfinding bug that caused rivers to be extremely aggravating to deal with

Fixed splash damage on the Greatsword, Titanic Maul and Bashing Maul

Fixed an issue with a broken [OtherPlayer] tag in a dialog popup

Fixed the Master Archer ability

Fixed an issue where the wildland player could spawn champions

* Fixed an issue that could cause the AI to fail at casting summoning spells on some tactical maps

* Fixed an issue causing Grip of Winter to become permanent

AI

AI won’t cast negative city enchantments on players it isn’t at war with anymore

Fixed bug that caused the AI to overestimate the city defense value

Made AI smarter about declaring war based on if they are already at war

Fixed bug that would cause the AI to keep units in a city far more than they should

Fixed a bug that would cause the AI to send a unit out of the city when enemies were right there

AI upgrades its outposts

AI is more likely to go for the Spell of Mastery if they are dominating

Adjustments to the city calculation for dtermining whether a city is well defended or not

Fixed a bug that would cause the AI to try (and fail) to cast the same enchantment over and over again resulting in it not casting other strategic spells

AI can summon Arcane Monoliths

Fixed bug that would cause lots of strategic spells not to be cast due to it thinking their value was 0

Fixed a bug that caused the AI to cast expensive tactical spells even when it wasn't supposed to

Modified AI priorities of numerous city improvements

Full, completely rewritten battle ranking system for more accurate measurements of a unit's actual lethality

Fixed an issue keeping the AI from declaring war

Pinned Post 99 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 4, 2014 11:46:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sweet! First post. So stoked for this release.

Will the Crushing Blow ability be nurfed? At an additional 100% attack, this often can decimate opponents. Through personal testing, I've found that only an additional 50% attack results in some very interesting tactical decisons to be made. Crushing Blow is still useful but more sensitive as to it's use; which I think is more on par with how those weapon bonuses should be treated.

Is it possible to have the two spells Bloom of Twilight and Birth of Summer modified so that there is a %chance of also improving the tiles the spell is cast upon? Perhaps add in a rare chance that a new resource/shard is generated as a result of the spell casting as well? (Naturally, keep the casting requirements the same so that it cannot be abused.)

Despite community modders already developing there own solutions, will there be an official consideration taken towards rounding out and finishing off some older game concepts for the sake of custom sovereign and faction design? (ie: Bound Elementals from shards for Kingdoms, Death Adepts for Empire Henchmen, some DLC5 upgrades like creating a Fire-based sovereign....or Ice-based sovereign....or having spider legs...or having centuar legs...etc.)

What does this mean for the Cleric Tower? It provides 5% per essence. Or, perhaps the better question may in fact be: What does this mean for the Bell Tower? As the player will now always choose to build the Cleric Tower over it.

Added the Banner of the Brave accessory, Army gets +1 Attack And +2 Defense, Commander only

Added Walderon’s Banner accesory, Army gets +1 Moves and +2 Initiative, Commander only

Added the Banner of Zad-Zabril accesory, Army gets +25% Fire Resistance, Commander only

Really like this idea. Hope it gets those Commanders out onto the field more often.

Adept’s Robe is now Mage only and Defense increased from 1 to 2

Archmage’s Robe is now Mage only and Defense increased from 5 to 6

Mage’s Robe is now Mage only and Defense increased from 3 to 4

Impenetrable Tower Shield is now Defender only

Tectonic Bulwark is now Defender only

Shield of the Sentinel is now Defender only

Ring of Mastery is now Mage only

Assassin’s Blade is now Assassin only

Serrated Longsword is now Assassin only

Legendary Longsword is now Warrior only

Brutal Trog Scimitar is now Warrior only

Bashing Maul is now Warrior only

Really like this approach. Will this also be done with the mage staffs so that the initiative penalty can be removed....or at least reduced to something more practical for combat use?

This one feels quite arbitrary. Imo the Serrated Longsword would be a better candidate for an Assassin's weapon.

In addition, the Assassin could have the following: Have Shreiken as an alternative to throwing knives; that deal more damage and are Assassin only.

July 4, 2014 11:53:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

July 4, 2014 12:00:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great News!

July 4, 2014 1:16:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

sweet! First post. So stoked for this release.

Will the Crushing Blow ability be nurfed? At an additional 100% attack, this often can decimate opponents. Through personal testing, I've found that only an additional 50% attack results in some very interesting tactical decisons to be made. Crushing Blow is still useful but more sensitive as to it's use; which I think is more on par with how those weapon bonuses should be treated.

What does this mean for the Cleric Tower? It provides 5% per essence. Or, perhaps the better question may in fact be: What does this mean for the Bell Tower? As the player will now always choose to build the Cleric Tower over it.

I've played with Crushing Blow at +50% too and I ended up not using it. I still don't use much at +100%. I don't know if that's just because blunt weapons are my least favorite, or because it is so dangerous to sacrifice a turn for an ability that can be dodged. I know the math on it shows it to be good, but personally it feels weak to me if it goes below 100%.

Cleric Tower isn't -5% unrest per Essence, it is just -5% unrest.  So its the same as the Bell Tower but the Cleric requires Essence in the city before it can be built.

I really like the idea to remove the init penalty from the champion versions of the mage staves!

July 4, 2014 1:37:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

I've played with Crushing Blow at +50% too and I ended up not using it. I still don't use much at +100%. I don't know if that's just because blunt weapons are my least favorite, or because it is so dangerous to sacrifice a turn for an ability that can be dodged. I know the math on it shows it to be good, but personally it feels weak to me if it goes below 100%.

Cleric Tower isn't -5% unrest per Essence, it is just -5% unrest.  So its the same as the Bell Tower but the Cleric requires Essence in the city before it can be built.

I really like the idea to remove the init penalty from the champion versions of the mage staves!

Thanks for the response on Crushing Blow. My strategy is to build very high initiative units with blunt weapons. With 2x attack damage, while they don't get an extra turn, they don't need to have an extra turn. The enemy has been wiped out.

Ah yes...Cleric was nurfed awhile back. Forgot about that. If memory serves, Cleric also grants +2 Fame. Will Bell Tower grant another alternative bonus to help further differenciate itself from Cleric?

Glad you like mage staves.  

Other items I wish to bring up:

1. Will the ability to rotate buildings during manual placement be fixed in 1.7 ? (I really miss being able to do this)

2. Will the Wildland boss-men be fixed such that they cannot leave there Wildland anymore? (there are several modder patches to choose from)

3. Currently it is not possible to fly over Chasm tiles. Was this intentional? Recommend you add the Chasm tile type so that units with flying can traverse over these tiles as well. This is for both strategic and tactical maps.

4. There seems to be community consensus that Ereog's Tower is not worth building...ever. http://forums.elementalgame.com/455546/page/1/#3476471 Would you consider the following for Ereog's Tower:

• +1 Air
  • +3 mana/turn
  • Unlocks the spell Windwalk: Air III spell, Strategic Global Spell, Casting Cost 50 mana, 2 mana/turn upkeep. All units under your control gain +1 movement.
  • Can only be built in Conclaves

5. The Spider Queen is a really good adversary except for one attack: It's acid spit is pretty weak. It should be 2x the damage.

6. The Embassy city improvement is VERY underwhelming. It only grants -3% unrest. Recommend adding +5 Fame to the building as well. It would be very interesting if a new type of Treaty were also associated with the unlocking of this building.

July 4, 2014 3:22:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting.  This should certainly do more to differentiate the classes of champions.   However,  I agree with GFireflyE, the initiative penalties on Mage staffs really need to be reduced.

July 4, 2014 4:05:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

IMO there should be a class of mage only staves (ie wands) that are 0 init and 0 att, but can do cool things like grant unique spells or abilities. 

July 4, 2014 5:35:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh my god this update is AMAZING. My first reaction is, this is the best looking changelog to date. Almost every item on the changelog is something I've wanted, or am really impressed you guys thought to do.

Color me even more impressed with the ongoing support you guys give this game.

The Paladin path needs some new, path-specific items now! Woot!

July 4, 2014 6:06:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really great stuff!! I can't wait!

July 4, 2014 7:18:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Will this also be done with the mage staffs so that the initiative penalty can be removed....or at least reduced to something more practical for combat use?

July 4, 2014 8:48:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great stuff.

July 5, 2014 1:40:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem with the new class limitations is that most folks only want 1-2 heroes out in the field due to XP splitting, so this is going to make a lot of items unusable.

Maybe a better idea would be class-specific utilities/bonuses, like sharp longsword having extra +crit +crit damage for assassins?  That way it stays useful for others, but best for assassins.

Staves would have init penalty for non-mages , goes away for mages. 

Think that would be a better idea.

July 5, 2014 9:22:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

oooh i like it Alstein.

+1

July 5, 2014 10:44:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

The problem with the new class limitations is that most folks only want 1-2 heroes out in the field due to XP splitting, so this is going to make a lot of items unusable.

Maybe a better idea would be class-specific utilities/bonuses, like sharp longsword having extra +crit +crit damage for assassins?  That way it stays useful for others, but best for assassins.

While I do agree that you're idea would probably be more dynamic, the solution they've already coded isn't a horrible one either. You are correct in that some items won't be useable but look at the list. In total there are 15 items that are class specific. If you have two different classed heroes fielded then you will only have 9 items unusable...if you happened to obtain them all. I don't know how many items there are, but this seems like pretty low odds that you would run into problems with loot.

In addition, if you use Hellion's Black Market, one could presume he's going to go through and adjust some of his items....so there could be ~15 more items that are class specific. This is offset by the myriad of items now available.

Why would you only play with two heroes fielded? Obviously personal choice, but I usually have 5-6 heroes with supporting armies fielded at a given time...

July 5, 2014 11:29:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One more point I would like to bring up:

It really seems to me that the AI does not know how to properly expand it's borders in the early game. This leads to AI being underwhelmingly easy to defeat thereby providing to reduce the amount of experience gained from any encounters with them.

Is it possible to have all AI be expansionist for the first 50-75 turns of a game? At said turn, a background event would happen changing all AI to their respective personalities.

Giving the AI the ability to establish themselves will ultimately make them more threatening. This in turn would give justification to have their battles worth more experience.

For example, in the game I am currently playing I am on turn 150 with 7 cities. The 4 AI that are in the game all have only 2 cities each. There isn't even a competition anymore. IF they each were a little more aggressive and had 3 cities each, the locations that I would have been able to build in would have been reduced....probably down to 4 cities. Would have made for a better balanced game. As is, it's just not fun anymore... 

Here are some ideas as to what can be obtained when fighting against the AI:

• When an opponent hero is involved in the combat, grant double XP? (subtract a static amount of XP for each injury the hero has...note that the equation should not result in a negative value)
  • When an opponent sovereign is involved in the combat, grant triple XP?
  • When you wipe out an opponent faction --> Get Fame reward and that last battle grants you quadruple XP?
  • When you conquer an AI city, get a Fame reward. (and the first city you conquer should get a cutscene)
  • When you conquer an AI capital city, get a Fame reward (and every capital city you conquer should get a cutscene)
  • When you lose one of your city's, receive an Fame penalty (and the first city you lose should get a cutscene)
  • When you lose your capital city, receive an Fame penalty (and get a cutscene)
  • As when an AI sovereign surrenders, if you kill and AI sovereign, he receives a unique injury, similar to the surrender injury.
  • As when an AI sovereign surrenders, if an AI chooses to give up, he becomes a mercenary for hire, receiving an unique injury and having a cost associated with his services should you find him on the strategic map.
  • (from NaytchSG) When you defeat an enemy hero/sovereign, you receive a random piece of loot that the hero/sovereign had him.
  • (from NaytchSG) A new 'Pickpocket' trait could be designed that would allow you to choose which item you received instead of random.

July 5, 2014 11:33:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When is this due out?

I think I'll just have to start playing again. My most played game by far. 

July 5, 2014 2:15:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

When is this due out?

I think I'll just have to start playing again. My most played game by far. 

I'm anxiously waiting for it to come out before I start a new game. It's got me rather anxious to fire it up again.

July 5, 2014 2:16:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Quoting Alstein, reply 12

While I do agree that you're idea would probably be more dynamic, the solution they've already coded isn't a horrible one either. You are correct in that some items won't be useable but look at the list. In total there are 15 items that are class specific. If you have two different classed heroes fielded then you will only have 9 items unusable...if you happened to obtain them all. I don't know how many items there are, but this seems like pretty low odds that you would run into problems with loot.

In addition, if you use Hellion's Black Market, one could presume he's going to go through and adjust some of his items....so there could be ~15 more items that are class specific. This is offset by the myriad of items now available.

Why would you only play with two heroes fielded? Obviously personal choice, but I usually have 5-6 heroes with supporting armies fielded at a given time...

The bigger issue I think would be getting the item to the correct hero.  The more I've been playing lately, the more un-fun the trading mechanic has become. While it's more realistic to have to bring champions close together to trade with each other, I'd rather it just be an open trading system between all heroes.  If you wanted to keep some limitation in a more open system, it could be implemented such that heroes can only trade if they're both not within enemy borders or contested lands (wildlands), and/or by incurring a small gold cost depending on distance between heroes on the map (say 1 gp per tile.)

July 5, 2014 2:42:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
The bigger issue I think would be getting the item to the correct hero. The more I've been playing lately, the more un-fun the trading mechanic has become. While it's more realistic to have to bring champions close together to trade with each other, I'd rather it just be an open trading system between all heroes. If you wanted to keep some limitation in a more open system, it could be implemented such that heroes can only trade if they're both not within enemy borders or contested lands (wildlands), and/or by incurring a small gold cost depending on distance between heroes on the map (say 1 gp per tile.)

I like those ideas, but I'd also like to see something like a "# of turns" for delivery. I really don't like the instant inventory transmission. At least having a certain # of turns for a transfer would imitate an actual courier delivering the item.

July 5, 2014 2:54:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,

Quoting mqpiffle, reply 18The bigger issue I think would be getting the item to the correct hero. The more I've been playing lately, the more un-fun the trading mechanic has become. While it's more realistic to have to bring champions close together to trade with each other, I'd rather it just be an open trading system between all heroes. If you wanted to keep some limitation in a more open system, it could be implemented such that heroes can only trade if they're both not within enemy borders or contested lands (wildlands), and/or by incurring a small gold cost depending on distance between heroes on the map (say 1 gp per tile.)

I like those ideas, but I'd also like to see something like a "# of turns" for delivery. I really don't like the instant inventory transmission. At least having a certain # of turns for a transfer would imitate an actual courier delivering the item.

A time-based disadvantage is exactly what we should want to avoid, because that's the main concern as it is.

July 5, 2014 5:27:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
A time-based disadvantage is exactly what we should want to avoid, because that's the main concern as it is.

I find the menial task of moving heroes to each other, possibly leaving an area unguarded, to be the main concern, not the time spent doing it. Also I'm not talking many turns here, I'm thinking like 2 turns. My biggest gripe about the instant inventory, is the weapon/armor sharing tactic. I suppose being this is a single player game, I can just not do it. Still, there is just something that irks me about such tactics.

July 5, 2014 6:02:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,
I find the menial task of moving heroes to each other, possibly leaving an area unguarded, to be the main concern, not the time spent doing it. Also I'm not talking many turns here, I'm thinking like 2 turns. My biggest gripe about the instant inventory, is the weapon/armor sharing tactic. I suppose being this is a single player game, I can just not do it. Still, there is just something that irks me about such tactics.

Frogboy has suggested that items become bound to a hero when equipped in e2015, maybe this can be back-ported to FE as well?

July 6, 2014 2:30:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,

Quoting Leo in WI, reply 21I find the menial task of moving heroes to each other, possibly leaving an area unguarded, to be the main concern, not the time spent doing it. Also I'm not talking many turns here, I'm thinking like 2 turns. My biggest gripe about the instant inventory, is the weapon/armor sharing tactic. I suppose being this is a single player game, I can just not do it. Still, there is just something that irks me about such tactics.

Frogboy has suggested that items become bound to a hero when equipped in e2015, maybe this can be back-ported to FE as well?

I would not like bound-equipment at all.

July 6, 2014 6:08:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First and foremost, thank you for the ongoing support and the cool upcoming features.

Please consider revisiting AI priorities for items to review some irregularities. Just a few examples:
- Mace_Golem vs Warhammer_Battle. These two items have the exact same stats. The first is set at 210, the second at 176.
- Staff_War and Staff_Casters are considered better items than all the common daggers (Assassins, Shadow, Razor, Butchers, Sharp)?
- The Padded Vest has the same priority as the Leather Breastpiece resulting in some sovereigns and champions keeping the former for the entire duration of a game.
- PlateHelmet_Ivory has better stats than the standard PlateHelmet and yet it has a lesser priority.
- All the DLC03 staves and bows have been lumped at 55, the lowest number, while clearly a few should be reevaluated (Staff_Snake...).

And most of all, a fervent request to add AI priorities for accessories. After forcing an AI sovereign to surrender and looking at his/her inventory, it's quite regretful to find a poison sack equipped in lieu of a neglected Pazuzu's Horn. Primal Savage did an excellent job to compile all these priorities for his XtraDeconstruct mod but for the sake of a better AI, this should be in the base game.

Thanks for reading and keep up the good work.

July 6, 2014 6:34:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I definitely want item delivery.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: