Couple of questions for a newbie.

By on March 5, 2014 7:49:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Retroromanic

Join Date 04/2009

Hello,

Started playing yesterday, played couple of games on different difficulties and with CoS.

Just wondering about some things in general:

1. This does not seem like some other 4X games in terms of number of cities: I am kind of guessing, from my poor experience tho, that with capital and maybe two expansions of your own, the rest comes from conquering nicely positioned enemy cities - those that are way too close to mine I just raze. Am I wrong? Is there a rule of thumb on number of settlements? 

2. What's the good way to organize armies? I realize that better AI and multiple wars active would require couple of parties to properly defend everything, but I tend to make one really strong army made of champions+ only, although I am yet to have a really good fight against enemy sovs - their armies tend to be really bad. Best fights I had so far were against neutrals. How do you play and what do you suggest?

3. I've just noticed champions keep their injuries even after a while; I thought they get cured. How does that work, don't tell me each time they get incapacitated it's a permanent injury? If so, how do you plan your battles?

4. When do you start using trained units in your armies? I find them dying too easily and having to retreat/move them around to keep them alive. Are they good when leveled, worth it, or wait until enough research has been made to produce some expensive, but good ones?

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 5, 2014 8:39:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
Hello,

Started playing yesterday, played couple of games on different difficulties and with CoS.

Just wondering about some things in general:

1. This does not seem like some other 4X games in terms of number of cities: I am kind of guessing, from my poor experience tho, that with capital and maybe two expansions of your own, the rest comes from conquering nicely positioned enemy cities - those that are way too close to mine I just raze. Am I wrong? Is there a rule of thumb on number of settlements? 

2. What's the good way to organize armies? I realize that better AI and multiple wars active would require couple of parties to properly defend everything, but I tend to make one really strong army made of champions+ only, although I am yet to have a really good fight against enemy sovs - their armies tend to be really bad. Best fights I had so far were against neutrals. How do you play and what do you suggest?

3. I've just noticed champions keep their injuries even after a while; I thought they get cured. How does that work, don't tell me each time they get incapacitated it's a permanent injury? If so, how do you plan your battles?

4. When do you start using trained units in your armies? I find them dying too easily and having to retreat/move them around to keep them alive. Are they good when leveled, worth it, or wait until enough research has been made to produce some expensive, but good ones?

1, It depends on the map. Sometimes you have lots of places to settltle nearby, sometimes not. Attacking an AI faction in the early game is often a good idea.

2. In the early game champs are relatively strong, but by mid game, the trained units are better at delivering damage. Personally, my stack consistes of  the sovereign, 1 hero, and trained units in all of the other available slots.

3. Champs can only get cured of their injuries by drinking a potion that's available in your conclaves once you research a certain magic tech...that I can't think of right now.

4. I use them as soon as possible. They are the strongest units in the long run.

March 5, 2014 8:58:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1: Conquered cities have huge Unrest penalties, so I usually raze them. That being said, attacking in the early game is probably the easiest way to win a game. There's no rule of thumb. My thumb tells me 9 - 12 cities are ideal.

2: One really strong and fast army works best for me. Try not to wage war on multiple opponents at once. If the AI does not put up a fight, you should probably increase the difficulty. 

3: Don't let your champs get injured. Like Borg said, there's a potion, but it's better to learn to pick your fights.

4: Never. I use summons and Binding if I play Resoln. Don't put heroes together if you want one to level up: they will split the available XP.

March 5, 2014 11:20:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks guys. But what happens to early trained units that become obsolete over time (quite quickly, actually, with the advance of technology) - can they be upgraded with new items?

March 5, 2014 11:38:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can upgrade your units when the better tech becomes available. Petsonally I design my units to my preference to fill "roles" within battles. I reccomend you do the same. Also upgrading units cost resources and gildar depending what type of upgrade.

March 5, 2014 11:44:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was trying to do that with champions before, thought it was really good to have an army consisting solely of champions under Sov's command. Having a dedicated support mage, two defenders to attract attention etc.

What do you do with excess fame/champions if they do not go into the main army when you already have a Sov + 1 Hero? Make a separate, smaller armies, for exploration/defending?

March 5, 2014 12:29:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Retroromanic,

What do you do with excess fame/champions if they do not go into the main army when you already have a Sov + 1 Hero? Make a separate, smaller armies, for exploration/defending?

Use them to start a second stack or cast the steal spirit spell and be done with them.

March 5, 2014 3:30:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kind of stupid, but... is it possible to dual-wield? I mean, an assassin wielding a dagger, the other hand being empty, the only thing possible is a shield? On an assassin?

Also, Defeat Vetrar, the Guardian of the World's End - I have been assembling an epic army and geared myself towards it, except the man is nowhere to be found... went through whole Arctic area - nothing!  

March 5, 2014 4:06:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Retroromanic,
Kind of stupid, but... is it possible to dual-wield? I mean, an assassin wielding a dagger, the other hand being empty, the only thing possible is a shield? On an assassin?

Also, Defeat Vetrar, the Guardian of the World's End - I have been assembling an epic army and geared myself towards it, except the man is nowhere to be found... went through whole Arctic area - nothing!  

I think one custom faction can dual weild, and there is one magic item that allows for it, but that's all.

There is an issue (bug) with keeping the boss monsters in the wildlands. They tends to wander off. I'm not sure if it's been fixed or not. In any case, once they leave their wildlands, it can't be cleared.

March 5, 2014 4:29:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Retroromanic,

When that happens, hunt Vetrar down then bait him into attempting to murder your army by keeping it just out of his reach of 1 tile. And keep it up until Vetrar follow you back into his wildlands inside the border then kill him.

March 6, 2014 5:39:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's quite a bug, too bad.

Okay, last question, I hope: looking through encyclopedia, it seems that food/material resources are NOT gathered from tiles AROUND the city as in Civ games, if I understood correctly, but only from the tile the city has been built upon; am I wrong here? Please clarify someone. 

If that is the case, what prevents me from spawning couple of cities quite close to each other?

March 6, 2014 5:58:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The yield numbers on a particular tile already include the yields from all other tiles around it - basically the yield of a particular square is what you get from that tile and the eight tiles around it.

There is a minimum distance between cities that is enforced (which is actually quite low currently) and I think it can be customised for the next game you play.

March 6, 2014 7:41:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
There is a minimum distance between cities that is enforced (which is actually quite low currently) and I think it can be customised for the next game you play.

Just went through options when starting a new game, does not look like there is that option, although it doesn't matter that much.

What I'm more interested in...

1. Is it possible to limit number of cities allowed to be settled per faction, not counting conquered ones?

2. Is there a mod for something similar to that / did anyone bother playing in such way?

Just wondering if it's possible since I'd like somehow to emphasize the RPG part of the experience and limit late-on management regarding cities and stuff; would prefer if it was somehow possible to concentrate on battles/exploration more. 

I moved from CoS to Patchwork + Black Market Bazaar and so far it improved my experience in a way I really enjoy it more, although CoS is definitely a lovely addition, albeit problematic with plenty of (in my opinion) way too strong item drops.

March 6, 2014 7:46:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Editing the minimum distance requires editing some core XML files or perhaps creating an XML edit file from the Mods folder.  It is not an option in the game interface.

March 6, 2014 8:36:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Retroromanic,
1. Is it possible to limit number of cities allowed to be settled per faction, not counting conquered ones?

Not as such; note that it would need to be tied to the size of the map, as you'd want to allow more cities on larger maps.  

However, there is a limiting factor with unrest, beyond which you need to build some unrest reduction structures (or use heroes to reduce unrest) to enable further (effective) expansion.  Unfortunately, the AI is poorly equipped to manage unrest, and it tends to out-expand its capacity.

In terms of modding, you could possibly do something with granting the faction's sovereign a limited, non-renewable resource and requiring it to build the faction's pioneer unit.  That way you'd only be able to build a set amount of pioneers, which in turn would limit city expansion.  A few caveats

• This would also prevent you from building outposts, unless you also modded in a separate outpost building unit (or gave them access to arcane monoliths).
  • You can get pioneers from a few quests.  Unless you're farming quest maps, though, this is going to be a negligible factor.

March 6, 2014 8:42:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Retroromanic,

Just wondering if it's possible since I'd like somehow to emphasize the RPG part of the experience and limit late-on management regarding cities and stuff; would prefer if it was somehow possible to concentrate on battles/exploration more. 

If you want to focus on battles, select a tiny map and 10 AI's. If you want to emphasize exploration and quest, select a huge map and one AI.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: