Elemental Status: March 2014

By on March 4, 2014 4:08:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

Lots of cool stuff going on around here.

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes 1.6 is due out in April and there will be a new DLC released shortly after that.  It involves spouses. That’s all I’ll say.

Legendary Heroes 2.0

Also, as some of you may have heard, Legendary Heroes 2.0 has been approved and budgeted. This will be a free update of some significance.  I don’t have a due date for it yet but it does have some interesting changes in it including ZOC for monster lairs and possibly some changes with regards to the way champion inventory is handled. 

Other things on our “want” list for Legendary Heroes 2.0 include:

• Updated diplomacy options to help build longer term relations
  • More performance boosts (we’re working on redoing the way trees are handled)
  • Some tweaks to the way magic is done
  • More effective alliance handling (this is something we really want to see)
  • Some changes to the way the Spell of Making is handled

That’s just a bit of it.

Obviously, this all boils down to having enough revenue to pay for it.  The numbers for LH are quite promising.  In January, about half of LH’s revenue came from the DLC. So that’s a good sign.

Next DLC

Like I mentioned, we have new DLC coming out next month. It’s already in QA.  Kael has gone pretty crazy with it.  Anyone from the Civ IV world knows the crazy stuff Kael can do so I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. But it’s pretty neat.

But AFTER that one I have two questions I’d like to get your views on:

1. How OFTEN do you want to see new DLC?  (Monthly, Quarterly, Every couple months, etc.)

2. What would you like to see our NEXT DLC be?

a. Stamps pack (for more random map generation interest)

b. More tactical battles maps

c. More magical spells

d. New factions

e. More loot

f. More quests

g. Something else (if it involves writing c++ code, it’s not DLC so has to be content that is downloadable).

Other sneak peeks…

Troll

image image image

Stay tuned!

201 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 1, 2014 11:14:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hoping to see news of the next DLC soon.

April 2, 2014 3:21:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My DLC suggestions would act as a word of warning for E15 as well:

- I would like to see anything that adds diversity to the late game!

For example, Age of Wonders 3 was just released, and I'm only waging war with the first out of 8 AIs on this large random map, and already I'm seeing max tier units, and one of my cities has built every possible building. It makes me suspect that once I've beaten this faction, I won't continue with neither the map or the game, because there simply isn't enough variation.

EDIT: Regarding LH, have out of order popup dialogs, and popup dialogs blocking each other been permanently fixed yet? They were still in 1.5, as well as delayed border changes and things like that... (and since it's taking so long to fix, I suspect it's a fundamental flaw with the engine, sadly).

April 4, 2014 10:48:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree that adding fraction specific building options would improve the game. I would like to see more unique building options when you level up.

For fortresses, I would like to see choices that would affect the tactical battlefields such as moat with a single bridge, a fixed location scorpion (i.e. giant crossbow) or a maze of forests paths that lead to the main city and limits the ranged attacks and spells to 8 tiles. These paths would slow the enemy advance.

Likewise, for research oriented cities I would like to see options for magically oriented defensive level-up options. One option might be a magic shield that limits the attack range of magic spells to 5 tiles. I would like to see an upgrade option that would provide +100% fire resistance to those in the lower 50% of the battlefield - i.e those within the borders of the protective sphere are protected from fire. Those outside the border are affected by fire. A strong incentive for attackers to press their attack forward.

Some level-up choices should be racial specific. Spider nests that flood the battlefield with swarms of weak spiders to slow the enemy advance. Undead should be able to build zombie army to defend the city.

April 5, 2014 12:06:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Today was really the first time I had availability to read through this entire thread, and many of the things I would suggest have already been suggested, many time.  Things like Naval elements, better tactical battles, better race differentiation, etc...

However, today is the first I've heard about Elemental 2015.  Is this an update to E:WoM or is this a completely new game? And for the record, one of the very appealing aspects for me to these games is the art style.  I absolutely love the art style, it just sets it apart from every other game.  it's not without it's quirks to be sure, but I would hate to see it go away.

April 6, 2014 1:47:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

DAMN IT FROG!

SQUARES AGAIN!

You know ill still buy it but DAMN IT!.  I would also vote to bring back Dynasties. 

April 7, 2014 9:48:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is the result of this post? How often will we see DLC and what will we see? 

I would like more map variety and map stamps and more quests and items, including mounts!

April 7, 2014 9:49:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh and new factions a strong emphasis on faction differentiation. 

April 7, 2014 10:01:17 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Spouses ! As for the future more new unique races I really enjoyed playing as the undead. I'm probably going to buy less DLC once we reach the beta stage to GalCiv3 as I'll be switching to playing that more to be honest.

Would say this though I'm pleased that Elemental FE:LH is still getting love and may be enticed back for more DLC if it's the right DLC .

This is the reason I love stardock.

April 8, 2014 2:46:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think you should be releasing small DLC like quests and loot packs every month or every few weeks, just to let people know the game is still alive. Bigger DLC like factions can wait 2-3 months.

I honestly thought this game was dead, I only checked back here on a whim last week to see hints of more updates. It's been too long since any DLC or patch, and a month since your announcement about upcoming DLC, which we've heard nothing else about since making me dubious. You guys used to be very transparent about what you were doing with the game, with often daily updates about what was happening, which was why I prepurchased WoM so long ago. Now it's just long stretches of silence and occasional vague hints.

April 8, 2014 3:41:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As a company grows, these kind of things are inevitable. It's not necessarily intentional, it's just the result of the delegation of duties, and multiple projects, where each initiative get's less individual attention (or focus get's shifted to the priority projects).

In any case, SD generated a lot of customer goodwill in it's early days, and can still "borrow" against it.

Quoting Sanati,
I think you should be releasing small DLC like quests and loot packs every month or every few weeks, just to let people know the game is still alive. Bigger DLC like factions can wait 2-3 months.

I honestly thought this game was dead, I only checked back here on a whim last week to see hints of more updates. It's been too long since any DLC or patch, and a month since your announcement about upcoming DLC, which we've heard nothing else about since making me dubious. You guys used to be very transparent about what you were doing with the game, with often daily updates about what was happening, which was why I prepurchased WoM so long ago. Now it's just long stretches of silence and occasional vague hints.

April 9, 2014 7:22:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quarterly DLC updates are awesome, and I would LOOOOOVE to see more spells

April 12, 2014 12:17:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So here are some results from this discussion (all subject to change so that if conditions change I'm not held to any of this <g>)

1. Leader's Pack DLC (previously referred to as Spouses Pack) release date is ~April 24th
  2. LH 1.7 likely in June, some AI tweaks, pathfinding, eye candy fixes, diplomacy tweaks
  3. Expanded Worlds DLC (new map stamps and new tactical battle maps) target date is ~June
  4. LH 2.0 likely next Fall, widespread changes to gameplay based on what we know now
  5. Equipment DLC (new equipment for customizing your units, more traits) this Fall

Beyond that things get sketchy

What we refer to as Elemental 2015 will be the third fantasy strategy game in the Elemental universe. It's a different game than WOM/FE in that it's what we call an asymmetrical 4X.  That is, your opponent has a different, conflicting goal than you. Gameplay much closer to MOM than what we've done so far (your sovereign lives in the tower in your capital, crafting, no tech tree, spells are learned via lore from shards, sovereign casts spells in battle from afar, all units, heroes, etc. have special abilities). On the other hand, no diplomacy with the primary enemy.

April 12, 2014 1:02:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

April 12, 2014 7:52:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

April 12, 2014 9:28:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

So here are some results from this discussion (all subject to change so that if conditions change I'm not held to any of this <g>)

Leader's Pack DLC (previously referred to as Spouses Pack) release date is ~April 24th
LH 1.7 likely in June, some AI tweaks, pathfinding, eye candy fixes, diplomacy tweaks

Any update specific to 1.6?

April 12, 2014 11:38:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Borg, he talked about it in another thread & said it is in QA and will be ready soon.

April 12, 2014 12:33:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yea, I thought the last post might be an update to the updates, so I wanted to make sure.

April 12, 2014 1:05:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Leader's Pack DLC (previously referred to as Spouses Pack) release date is ~April 24th
LH 1.7 likely in June, some AI tweaks, pathfinding, eye candy fixes, diplomacy tweaks
Expanded Worlds DLC (new map stamps and new tactical battle maps) target date is ~June
LH 2.0 likely next Fall, widespread changes to gameplay based on what we know now
Equipment DLC (new equipment for customizing your units, more traits) this Fall

Beyond that things get sketchy

Woot! Looking forward to the releases.

Are you going to release a framework of the planned changes for 2.0 to obtain community feedback?

Also, in the unfortunate event that 2.0 takes away from 1.7 instead of adding to it (where's my faith, right?), will there be a way to download and play 1.7 off of steam? or will we be forced into 2.0?

April 12, 2014 2:28:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The expanded gameplay change I currently want the most in LH is individualized heroes, which I believe should be backportable from the next game (I think you said that was a feature)

Given how that game turns out, I might want more features from that game backported to LH, many of them sound exactly like things I added or changed in LH.

April 12, 2014 3:12:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

The expanded gameplay change I currently want the most in LH is individualized heroes, which I believe should be backportable from the next game (I think you said that was a feature)

Given how that game turns out, I might want more features from that game backported to LH, many of them sound exactly like things I added or changed in LH.

The expanded gameplay changes I'm hoping to see are:

- Lair ZoC such that Wildland nodes also have ZoC and can expand overtime, increasing late-game pressure on the player as well as also introducing a new victory condition "Cleanse the Land" whereas the player needs to cleanse the land of all the wildlands to win.

- Independent cities with each having a unique building that provides extra nation benefit. Do you conquer the cities? Do you be diplomatic with them? Options abound.

....shoot....this is going to turn into rambling of ideas....to save time, just check out here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/452034/page/1/#3443809

April 12, 2014 3:22:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

could we, perhaps, see a preliminary changelog for 1.6?  I just want to wet my appetite.  also, looking forward to the dlc.

April 12, 2014 3:49:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

April 12, 2014 9:21:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) DLC should come out at least quarterly. Since I really like the game, I would really love to see more DLCs.

2) I would like to see more of the following:

- More factions

- More tactical maps and more interactivity in them

- More monsters

- More quests

April 13, 2014 1:25:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting stein220, reply 171
could we, perhaps, see a preliminary changelog for 1.6?  I just want to wet my appetite.  also, looking forward to the dlc.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/451979/page/6/#0[/quote]

Thanks, I either missed this or forgot I had seen it.

April 29, 2014 10:56:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I feel compelled to write more here...sorry for the wall of text...

Frogboy,

In light of the Leaders DLC, I think the entire modding community sees the same diliema you do. They are just not certain how you plan to tackle the problem. You've cracked game wide open to free modding (which is awesome) but that in turn has the consequence of closing off the 'magic' of the game, as anyone can now release their own 'DLC'.

Essentially you've put yourself in competition with...yourself. That is the problem. To take an example, Hellion's Black Market mod:

I'm going to pick on Hellion as his mod ROCKS. Why do I talk about his mod and not the loot DLC? Because he's running at 120+ new items and it seems that every update comes with more. DLC03 unfortunately doesn't even come close, and that's understandable. Hellion offers his for free, out of the dedication and appriciation for the game. You need to charge in order to pay the bills and make ends meet. Again, very understandable. However, we still live in reality and that reality currently dictates that people will not pay for what they can get for free.

This brings us back to the Leaders DLC. After reading the threads, it appears the general consensus is that it's the least-liked release to date. However, I don't think it's because of the content. I think it's because, for the most part, anyone in the modding community could have done it. Thus, to stay 'competitive' with yourself one of two things needs to be done:

1. Restrict modding ability so that your 'magic' is more magical than the modders....which I'll say right now would probably cost you dearly in the modding community should you choose this route. 
  2. Become creative...very creative...releasing DLC that modders cannot do, or seem to be unwilling to do. I think this is the direction that has pots of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Going through your past DLC:

DLC01: Map Pack -- For the most part, (Parrotmath is the exception that I am aware of) modders haven't touched maps and stamps....especially stamps. However, modders could which means it needs to be more magical. The 5 maps you released needed to be unique; with props or sandbox-scenario quests or unique starting positions, or something that 'raises the bar' so to speak and gets the modders thinking in a different light. The stamps themselves I don't think anyone has touched and as such would be a perfect candidate for another DLC release. Modders could have no gripe against that type of DLC because they themselves haven't touched it. If/when released however, I'd also recommend that you spruce up DLC01 and when advertising DLC06 say 'oh and by the way, for those of you who have not purchased DLC01 yet, it has MORE'. You're hitting one and a half birds with one stone. Sure, you're given some free stuff to the half of the market that as already purchased DLC01, but you are also seeding encouragement and that half will be more likely to purchase DLC06 as a result.  

DLC02: Quest Pack -- Another perfect example of a DLC07 oppertunity. More modders have explored the realm of questing though, so if you plan to have a second quest pack DLC, it's going to have to be a very good one; stuff that the modders cannot do or have not thought of. Unique. Epic quests. Epic rewards. Again, add more to DLC02 and avertise the pair.

Quest idea: Using one of the 5 boats designed, have a Secret Island quest: Your hero meets an old mystic in a village hut. She speaks about a mystical island off the coast. Your hero needs to find a port. Finding the port casts 'create beach' spell on a nearby square and grants you access to a boat. You take the boat to find the island (that is also generated at the start of the quest), where you have another one or two points, to get some awesome treasure or even an awesome spell. 

Event idea: A mountain rumbles out from the ground (raise land spell till mountain). The player needs to resolve why this has happened. Journey to the mountain side where there is a quest point. It reads 'You climb the mountain side...and beyond; finding a castle in the clouds and an unfriendly host. A tactical combat then occurs with a 'clouds look and feel' and you fight a Storm giant family for a ...... 

Concept idea: Challenge your staff with homework. Once per week have them shell out a quest/event idea. Collect all the ideas after 6 monthes. Add 5+ quests/events to DLC02 and 20-30 quests/events for the new DLC. Reward the staff member who 'wins' the competition.

Concept idea: Request quest/event ideas from the community. We like working for free.

Lastly, very imporant: Toss in cutscenes. Emmersion into the RPG element of the game is incredibly important.

DLC03: Loot Pack -- Unless you plan to add very unoriginal items, I wouldn't even bother. So many modders have sunk there teeth into this one that you cannot compete anymore. However, what modders are doing (with the exception of Hellion) is releasing loot as part of other mods. 'Here's a quest mod....and you get two or three pieces'. ' Here's a new faction...and you get two or three pieces'. You've done the same with DLC05 and I think that's the best way to approach the release of new loot. About the only other thing I can say to this one is 'get rid of the bunny slippers'

DLC04: The Dead World -- This was your best attempt, however I think your feet got away from you a little bit. You attempted to release an expansion as a DLC. I'm not sure what else I can say about this one other than don't give up. Historically you've been a star example admitting to... road bumps and imo, this should be no different: Bring it back to the drawing board. Streamline the DLC. Make it so that the AI can play the undead faction. Watch the praise from the community hit you in the form of future DLC purchases. And then learn from your...road bump. Never release such a complex DLC again.

DLC05: The Leader Pack -- I won't beat this one to death as I've already offered my thoughts here in how to expand the DLC: http://forums.elementalgame.com/453766/page/1/#9, reply 9 (which is an update of reply 6). I essentially suggest for you to offer players an open palette to explore unique custom sovereigns....to go beyond the 10 leaders provided. I presume that minor changes made to this DLC up front could easily accomplish this. Let your players explore the custom sovereigns. Add in a few more mounts, a few more particle effects, a few more unqiue bodies (with bonuses/penalties), and 1 or 2 more weaknesses to go along with the 3 benefits you've added and POW....a REALLY good DLC.

In the end, I hope I do not disuade you from persuing further DLC releases. Players are looking for 'Polish' right now....I do hope that you are willing to revisit past DLC releases aswell. Looking forward to future DLC

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time: