Elemental Status: March 2014

By on March 4, 2014 4:08:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

Lots of cool stuff going on around here.

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes 1.6 is due out in April and there will be a new DLC released shortly after that.  It involves spouses. That’s all I’ll say.

Legendary Heroes 2.0

Also, as some of you may have heard, Legendary Heroes 2.0 has been approved and budgeted. This will be a free update of some significance.  I don’t have a due date for it yet but it does have some interesting changes in it including ZOC for monster lairs and possibly some changes with regards to the way champion inventory is handled. 

Other things on our “want” list for Legendary Heroes 2.0 include:

• Updated diplomacy options to help build longer term relations
  • More performance boosts (we’re working on redoing the way trees are handled)
  • Some tweaks to the way magic is done
  • More effective alliance handling (this is something we really want to see)
  • Some changes to the way the Spell of Making is handled

That’s just a bit of it.

Obviously, this all boils down to having enough revenue to pay for it.  The numbers for LH are quite promising.  In January, about half of LH’s revenue came from the DLC. So that’s a good sign.

Next DLC

Like I mentioned, we have new DLC coming out next month. It’s already in QA.  Kael has gone pretty crazy with it.  Anyone from the Civ IV world knows the crazy stuff Kael can do so I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. But it’s pretty neat.

But AFTER that one I have two questions I’d like to get your views on:

1. How OFTEN do you want to see new DLC?  (Monthly, Quarterly, Every couple months, etc.)

2. What would you like to see our NEXT DLC be?

a. Stamps pack (for more random map generation interest)

b. More tactical battles maps

c. More magical spells

d. New factions

e. More loot

f. More quests

g. Something else (if it involves writing c++ code, it’s not DLC so has to be content that is downloadable).

Other sneak peeks…

Troll

image image image

Stay tuned!

201 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Polistes
March 20, 2014 7:30:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is possible I have the time frame incorrect. In any case, regardless of the actual age of the game, their patchwork has been shoddy and often created "new" bugs while "fixing" others, like the exception crash bug. That, and the last patch release could not be described as anything less then a disaster. Having to withdraw a patch you released to "fix" it so that it "works" is NEVER a good sign.

March 20, 2014 9:04:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Elemental 2015 sounds great. I just hope a  3.5 year old computer (by then) can run the program.

March 20, 2014 8:27:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I only care for Fallen Enchantress + Legendary heroes + DLC + mods. I don't think Elemental 2015 or any other fantasy 4x games will ever beat it...

March 20, 2014 8:54:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

One more sneak peek at what might best be referred to as Elemental 2015

Cities use 1 tile on the map but cities claim additional resources from adjacent tiles as they grow.

Seems like going to 1 tile cities is a step backwards from the success seen in LH. It's an aspect I've really enjoyed about the game.

Never the less, hinting MOM2 get's my attention....so I'll keep attentive to the release details.

However, I won't be rushing into the beta like I did with Fallen Enchantress. Too many disappointments about an unfinished product. Yes. I said it. I think Fallen Enchantress is still unfinished and is why I switched up to Legendary Heroes which progressed in game development immensely.....despite the requirement of Steam. (ps. Please make LH 2.0 have a steam free option; I'd be fine with steam to download but don't need steam to play.) Imo, LH is still not polished yet and thus, I'll be waiting for the release of LH 2.0 before I even consider E15.

March 20, 2014 11:04:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sounds like have something to look forward to this summer.

March 22, 2014 9:31:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A thought for a possible upcoming DLC:

A 'Late Game DLC'. Pack it full of high level loot, epic multi tile quests, a slew of high level heroes, new cut scenes for late game happenstances, epicly casted spells, heavy impacting events, and unique late game music for each race type....encourage players to delve into the game again and again and again to get at all the cool late game stuff.

March 24, 2014 12:46:19 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

1 tile cities will be a huge improvement. No more totally brainless cheesy and unestethical gameplay of city snaking, city blubbs filling the map and God knows what. Please say we will have workers as well, and this is pure fantastic for the strategical empire building element.

What I'm more worried about is being too powerfull in the start of the game. I don't like being too powerfull in the mid or end game even, so I'm not sure of what to think of this. When I become too powerfull, that's when I stop playing and start over.

I Guess time will tell, and that I'll trust Stardock making game design. Anyways I'll join the beta and correct them if they are wrong (if it's open as it usually is).

March 24, 2014 1:00:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

A thought for a possible upcoming DLC:

A 'Late Game DLC'. Pack it full of high level loot, epic multi tile quests, a slew of high level heroes, new cut scenes for late game happenstances, epicly casted spells, heavy impacting events, and unique late game music for each race type....encourage players to delve into the game again and again and again to get at all the cool late game stuff.

+ 1000 !!!!  

Also could include very high level "boss" monsters that only spawn after turn 400 or so (based on events) with substantial rewards if you defeat them 

March 24, 2014 1:01:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure....is Stardock one of the companies where you have to pay to beta a game? It was when I played the original Galactic Civ years and years ago.

March 24, 2014 1:10:56 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Since snaking to forests to build a logging camp or rivers for a dock is no longer allowed, the only purpose of snaking at all anymore is to put nearby resources in range of your city, and that's kinda weak tea considering your borders will expand anyway, so makes sense to give up on snaking altogether.

March 24, 2014 4:44:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well it also shortens travel distance a bit.

In that sense I'm glad it's gone, because the end result was that I avoided queuing multiple buildings so I could stretch out my city and get that slight edge. On the other hand, I must admit it did provide some peculiar sense of fulfillment.

(now, how about letting us build Supply Depots that consume logistics and achieve same?)

March 24, 2014 6:08:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting anc40,

I'm not sure....is Stardock one of the companies where you have to pay to beta a game? It was when I played the original Galactic Civ years and years ago.

IIRC, for FE and LH, you had to pre-order to get into the beta and I think it may the same for GalCiv III, but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.  That's fine for me but if you're hesitant, hopefully someone will put up some Let's Plays so you can see if it's for you.

I'm ok with 1 tile cities, but that's just my 2 gildar.

March 24, 2014 6:19:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Chibiabos,

Since snaking to forests to build a logging camp or rivers for a dock is no longer allowed, the only purpose of snaking at all anymore is to put nearby resources in range of your city, and that's kinda weak tea considering your borders will expand anyway, so makes sense to give up on snaking altogether.

I disagree.  I have always found the snaking cities useful for the purpose of tactically blocking map areas.  Now admitedly it would have been nice if we could achieved this via some other means like making wall on the overland map to join between two outposts for example, which would have to be first breached in order to pass.. BUT.. as things stand if you want to block off an approach or mountain pass or land bridge having your city build across the gap is the ideal way to achieve it and it prevents enemies and monsters from passing them unless they are first conquered or razed.

Thus snaking cities atm has a tactical use that is very beneficial beyond simply linking a resource to a city and therefore preventing the resource from being razed unless the city is first conquered.

March 24, 2014 10:46:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good point about resource razing.

March 25, 2014 7:11:10 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting NeoWolfen,

Quoting Chibiabos, reply 135

I disagree.  I have always found the snaking cities useful for the purpose of tactically blocking map areas.  Now admitedly it would have been nice if we could achieved this via some other means like making wall on the overland map to join between two outposts for example, which would have to be first breached in order to pass.. BUT.. as things stand if you want to block off an approach or mountain pass or land bridge having your city build across the gap is the ideal way to achieve it and it prevents enemies and monsters from passing them unless they are first conquered or razed.

Thus snaking cities atm has a tactical use that is very beneficial beyond simply linking a resource to a city and therefore preventing the resource from being razed unless the city is first conquered.

Snaking is usefull, but that's not the point. The point is that it's usefull in a very little meaningfull strategical way gameplay wise. It has little or I'd rather say nothing to do with strategical planning that make sense in a strategical gameplay way. To put it another way: It has no opportunity costs attached to it, it's just cheesy. Unestethical too by the way.

As you say in your post. The usefullness of snaking can be alot better represented by other game mechanisms. Mechanisms that makes sense and have opportunity costs (like using ressources/time to build a fortress) or building buildings to improve your border radius, or plan city placements accordingly.

March 25, 2014 8:44:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NorsemanViking,

Snaking is usefull, but that's not the point. The point is that it's usefull in a very little meaningfull strategical way gameplay wise. It has little or I'd rather say nothing to do with strategical planning that make sense in a strategical gameplay way. To put it another way: It has no opportunity costs attached to it, it's just cheesy. Unestethical too by the way.

As you say in your post. The usefullness of snaking can be alot better represented by other game mechanisms. Mechanisms that makes sense and have opportunity costs (like using ressources/time to build a fortress) or building buildings to improve your border radius, or plan city placements accordingly.

As I've said the use of snaking cities could and probably should have been better achieved other ways, but as things stands I simply cannot agree that the strategic usefulness of closing off an area with a snaking city is none because that just isn't true.

If I start on a map and after scouting find I can close off a considerable area with the placement of two or three cities which I can build via snaking to cut of entry to the map area with then that has HUGE tactical benefit.  It provides you a large expansion zone you can utilize, loot and progress to yourself while the enemy leaders expand and squabble among themselves.  Especially if you turn the blocking cities into Fortresses and quickly build walls and fill them with defenders.

Outposts can't do the job as they simply dont have the defensibility of city nor can you place outpost directly next to each other in order to block a path.  And although border expansion is all well and good absolutely NOTHING stops an emeny crossing your borders (or a monsters) any tiem they wish to.  And as the AI stands even if you use diplomacy and tell them to get out of your territory the very next turn after moving out they move straight back in.

Sure you could spend turn after turn fighting off tresspassing units but then you have a war and your resources and gold is then being used to build and replace units, meanwhile the progressesion and expansion of your blocked off territory is standing still largely or slwoly being utilised.

for me I enjoy the long games I secure a large area, and keep the peace while I expand, improve, research and build and that allows me to take a substantial progression lead over opposing leaders who invariably turn on each other in the meantime and then at the end I sweep across the map and destroy them all one at a time.

The strategic benefit of this apporach largely THANKS to snaking cities is undeniable.

March 25, 2014 9:31:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also snake cities to block passes. I'd prefer to diplomatically seal my borders though. I just get sick of checking to make sure there are no AI players trying to sneak through my territory and then there is the turn after turn ejection routine. Ugh.

March 30, 2014 3:08:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to see expanded lore on the quests and heroes, really flesh them out. I think the skill trees were a great addition, anything that could expand these and add more flavour (skills and spells). Is there anyway to currently change the colour of a faction without making your own? Small thing but I usually play as markin - great army, really not digging the yellow (probably supposed to be gold but looks yellow). Maybe some animations around quests. The mechanics are there I feel but the wrapping is a bit thin

March 30, 2014 3:16:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

actually even atmospheric voice overs for the current quests would be a marked improvement for me. Another thing would be if there was pics for each city type at each level. The current graphics are a bit cartoony but it would be cool if there were some cool images for each level of fortress for example. 

Maybe some graphical animations for city spell affects. I havent noticed any graphical differences when spells are cast on cities (for example, wall of fire or the winter spell).

March 30, 2014 3:29:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was just reading through some of the suggestions other people are making, espionage being one. Given the penalty of wounds for heroes assassination would be a viable tactic up until the late game when healing potions are available and affordable. Something to increase unrest in cities to slow production. 

March 30, 2014 3:32:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In fact you could have hero spymasters with talent trees for inciting unrest, taking out enemy heroes or performing counterintelligence/guarding against assassinations.

March 31, 2014 8:42:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes 1.6 is due out in April and there will be a new DLC released shortly after that.

Tomorrow is April! Any big announcements?

All I've been reading lately is GC3 this and GC3 that... I'm sure that it's very nice

But C'mon, let's keep our priorities straight.

Space games are a dime a dozen. Who needs them when you have a game like LH?

April 1, 2014 8:41:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I'm interested in hearing more (legitimate) information on 1.6 and the spouse DLC. 

After playing AOW3 for some time, it makes me appreciate FE:LH even more. The more you can build on this game, the more likely the next installment will sit at the top of the Steam charts like Age of Wonders has.

I plan on writing a post soon on what I think LH can learn from AOW3, though. There are some good things (item courier!) that could be carried over, at the risk of copying some game design elements.

April 1, 2014 9:17:20 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I really would like to see a game taking the best features of both- there's some things in AOW3 that drive me nuts because of LH, and vice versa.

April 1, 2014 9:23:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

I really would like to see a game taking the best features of both- there's some things in AOW3 that drive me nuts because of LH, and vice versa.

Completely agree. I'm going to write a post now and hope you might contribute to it!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: