New rig: your advice sought

By on February 8, 2014 2:01:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glazunov1

Join Date 08/2010
+26

We've finally decided to take the plunge and buy a new desktop, something we haven't done in oh, around 7 years. Rather than settling for pre-made units, we're checking out the CyberPowerPC site.

First off, this isn't intended for a twitch-game machine with surround sound. It needs reasonably decent graphics, lots of RAM, decent draw, plenty of USB ports. A business machine with some game capabilities. This is what I've built up, so far, and I'd like your opinion of these options. Bearing in mind that the phrase, "price is no object," would result in hysterical laughter from my wife and I for at least fifteen minutes:

Full Tower with 240MM Liquid Cooling Support 

Internal USB Expansion Module: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module

Extra Case Fans: Corsair AIR Series AF120 Performance Edition 120MM High Airflow Case Fan

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Motherboard: * GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI

RAM / System Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2) (Since we're going to get 64-bit Win7 Home Premium, I could raise this to sixteen, if you see the need.)

Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR3 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Power Supply: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR) (We're getting two of these.)

Sound: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE PCI Sound Card

And like I wrote above, 64-bit Win7 Home Premium version. I've studied the extras on the other versions, and don't see them as relevant to my needs.

Over to you, ladies and gents, for suggestions, etc.

Locked Post 67 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 10, 2014 5:21:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's cool. We're going to tackle Microcenter sometime tomorrow, and see how much they would charge to build a computer with this configuration. I'm going to try to put together an Intel config from the same site, and if I do, I'll post it, here.

February 10, 2014 9:51:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Glazunov1, reply 44Good points. I'll inquire about them.

The board has an AM3+ socket and supports DDR3 & USB3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#sp  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602

Ah, that's where I got confused. The board I looked at on the Gigabyte site, was a Gigabyte GA-970-DS3P (rev. 1.0) an entirely different board to the Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P. It is an updated board to the one I recall having issues with. That's how come I got the wrong specs and felt the board would not be man enough for the CPU, thus creating a bottleneck. 

I'm so sorry Glazunov1, my apologies for confusing the issue and placing doubt in your mind.  I think it's the old age setting in, and my memory playing tricks, but the board you chose originally will perform admirably for what you need, given the specs on the Gigabyte site.  I'm just glad it is sorted out now and you can proceed with your build.

Anyhow, all the best with it and happy computing.

February 11, 2014 12:27:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,

Quoting ernie leo, reply 48

Quoting Glazunov1, reply 44Good points. I'll inquire about them.

The board has an AM3+ socket and supports DDR3 & USB3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#sp  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602

Ah, that's where I got confused. The board I looked at on the Gigabyte site, was a Gigabyte GA-970-DS3P (rev. 1.0) an entirely different board to the Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P. It is an updated board to the one I recall having issues with. That's how come I got the wrong specs and felt the board would not be man enough for the CPU, thus creating a bottleneck. 

I'm so sorry Glazunov1, my apologies for confusing the issue and placing doubt in your mind.  I think it's the old age setting in, and my memory playing tricks, but the board you chose originally will perform admirably for what you need, given the specs on the Gigabyte site.  I'm just glad it is sorted out now and you can proceed with your build.

Anyhow, all the best with it and happy computing.

Why, thanks! I appreciate your acknowledging the error. A lot of people make errors, then think they have to back them up or lose face. That's an error, itself.

February 11, 2014 5:48:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With the excellent points made earlier about Intel vs AMD, I've been feeling uneasy about sticking with the latter, even given the online site's significantly higher price. We went to Microcenter, and were able to secure a reasonably good Intel-based CPU, in a package that came up about a hundred dollars more. No 3 years warranty; no free keyboard and mouse. But all in all, not a bad machine:

Intel Core I5-4670K

Asrock Z87-Extreme3 ATX LGA 1150

EVGA GTX650 1 GB D5 PCIE DDMH

Corsair 750W CXMOD 80+BRZ ATX PSU

Crucial 8GB 4X2 D3 1600 DIMM CL9

Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Case 2/USB3

Samsung E 120GB 840EVO SATA3 2.5"

Seagate 2 TB 3.5 7200 RPM Int SATA

IPSG LG 24X DVDRW SATA OEM (a pair of these)

MS OEM Win 7 Home Premium (if they'd offered Win8, I would have wanted $400 deducted from the price)

Corsair Hydro H60 Liquid Cooler

BSC ASY Computer Assembly

That's it. Similar to what I had before in most respects, if not identical, but the Intel's a very nice chip, if not quite the latest wave of the future. Thoughts?

February 11, 2014 6:00:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The point of buying an SSD and putting the OS on it is for faster boot times. The point of only putting the OS on the SSD is for faster boot times only. Certain games/programs (virus scanner) will benefit greatly from an SSD as well.

Why the need for 2TB of space? I have 1TB and have never used more then 1/2. I personally however format my hard drive roughly every 12 months, so it typically never gets that high. 80% of that was games.

For the present, you won't need 16gb of ram. 8gb will do. If you do happen to have a program that can use that much, by all means.

Do not skimp out on a processor. Not a big deal, but the point of the K version is so you can overclock. Just so you know.

February 11, 2014 7:00:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sleepyx732,
Why the need for 2TB of space? I have 1TB and have never used more then 1/2. I personally however format my hard drive roughly every 12 months, so it typically never gets that high. 80% of that was games.

For starters...being 'sensible' and using such things as True Image...to backup the OS drive [in particular]...thus avoiding the silliness of re-installing everything every 12 months/whatever....

And I have just one Game which would fill a third of that 1TB on its own.

Like ram, you can never have 'too much' HD space...

February 11, 2014 7:02:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

...and the real point of an SSD is speedier OS responsiveness IN  GENERAL...as boot times can be meaningless if infrequent...

February 11, 2014 7:12:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes to Jafo's points, above. OS operations are sped up, and I do tons of work with a great many sound files, and some games that are so heavily modded they take up forever. I've held off on running Skyrim just because of that--my Morrowind and Oblivion modlists exceed the maximum allowable (over 254, if I recall correctly) by combining some.

Just like RAM, you can never have too much drive space. Besides, if you began computer life with a TRS-80, the idea of two terrabytes is like being given your own planet to wander around in.

But again, I draw attention to the new Intel configuration for the rig, above. I'd change it in the first post, but that would invalidate everything that's been written, since. I'm frankly glad we moved away from AMD after the comments I read here, and in articles elsewhere.

February 11, 2014 7:47:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Graphic's card & power supply??

February 11, 2014 7:58:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for catching that. I've updated the config with those, accordingly.

February 11, 2014 8:02:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Glazunov1,
But again, I draw attention to the new Intel configuration for the rig, above. I'd change it in the first post, but that would invalidate everything that's been written, since. I'm frankly glad we moved away from AMD after the comments I read here, and in articles elsewhere.

The Intel build you posted looks like a decent setup that would serve your needs well.  And I know somebody who has that AsRock board and he's really happy with it, says it is sturdy and has great features.  I would have gone with the AsRock Z87 Extreme9 if it had been easier to come by.  Most places I inquired with found it hard getting stock, so I went with the Gigabyte GA-Z87Z-UD5H, which is also a great board with plenty of nice features.

As for the AMD build, there is nothing wrong with that setup, either.... now my confusion over the motherboard has been resolved.  I searched for it without the letter A after the 970 and got a completely different board... the one I has issues with, in fact.  Anyway, the AMD setup is also decent, and if you went with the AMD FX 4130 instead, it would be on a par with the i5 setup you posted.  My ex has that CPU combined with a 120gb SSD and hers is quite a zippy machine.  Moreover, I have been running AMD machines for the last 10 years and have found them to be sturdy, reliable and competent, and while my new build is Intel based, for a change, my 2 AMD rigs will be retained as workhorses in different areas of the house to my 'new man cave'

At the end of the day, however, it is what you're happy with, and that i5 build looks good.

February 11, 2014 8:14:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks. I need speed, and RAM, and USB3 ports out the wazoo, and only moderate gaming capabilities, for when I play--which isn't that often, these days. But when it is, I agree with our Beloved Leader, that a 64-bit system with plenty of RAM is the way to go. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, that would be where we'd head if we picked up a rig this year. And if it can run FE, and Skyrim, and Europa Universalis IV...? I'm happy.

February 12, 2014 12:17:47 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Jafo,

For starters...being 'sensible' and using such things as True Image...to backup the OS drive [in particular]...thus avoiding the silliness of re-installing everything every 12 months/whatever....

And I have just one Game which would fill a third of that 1TB on its own.

I download as I go. Because I only use my PC for gaming and browsing, I don't reinstall everything right away nor do I have much to reinstall. I format to rid the OS of any potential errors, slow downs, whatever. The last thing I want to do is back it up. Whether this helps or not, well it appears to help. This doesn't take as long as one might think.

?? What game could that be? The highest I've seen is 20-25gb. Shogun 2 I believe it was. Guild Wars 2 might be another, not sure.

February 12, 2014 12:44:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sleepyx732,
?? What game could that be? The highest I've seen is 20-25gb. Shogun 2 I believe it was. Guild Wars 2 might be another, not sure.

FSX....Microsoft's Flight Simulator.  It can be as big as you ever want it to be.

Developing 'graphics' [skins] for just one plane sees me with 18 gig ....and 1,636 files..... that's 79 repaints ....

Addons for enhancing graphics....landscape....weather...real air-traffic, etc ....adds lots more...eg. 'REX' is 17gig....traffic is 9....scenery is 12 [and I don't have a lot of that] ...

An in-game screencap of one of my paints [used as a wall] ....

February 12, 2014 3:23:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's one hell of a craft.

February 12, 2014 3:47:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The artwork was from a Qantas 747 to promote the Australian F1 GrandPrix .... though that's not a Jumbo....it's a Tupolev Tu 114....

February 13, 2014 11:14:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

The artwork was from a Qantas 747 to promote the Australian F1 GrandPrix .... though that's not a Jumbo....it's a Tupolev Tu 114....

Well, it's damn impressive, and worth every gigabyte.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: