Cloak of Fear?

By on February 1, 2014 11:29:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ericridge

Join Date 02/2012
+27

Does it raise chance of dodge to crazy levels or something?

Cuz u see.

I wiped out his slave army and militia then surrounded it after he got that spell off.. but i see that I have 97% chance of hit so I was like lol whatevah. Then attacked. dodgedodgedodgedodgedodgeododgegdodgedodge lol wat.

Then I gave up and started to spam haste on all my units, and attacked so often that some attacks managed to get through and do like tiny damage like 7-10 dmg per unit.

He endured over 10 turns of dodging my murder attempts. And my soveriegn is level 23 commander which just got the battle rallying cry.

Here so you can see his stats.

is there something I don't know?

And there was another strange occurrence, not related to cloak of fear though but still.. equally strange.

You see my storm dragon right, nothing special and stuff. Just eating on army of quendar pioneers like they're mcnuggets.

Then i looked at after battle report, and noticed... ONE OF THEM IS LEVEL 12!

I'M LIKE WAT.

Just how did the AI manage to raise one of the pioneers to level 12 without the pioneer dying off even once because.. AI!

Oh and this is on Expert difficulty, I fear it's too easy so I'm going to move up another difficulty level I guess.

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 6, 2014 7:24:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cloak of fear requires the attacking unit to resist a spell before they can hit their target. Magnar's 137 spell mastery made that quite difficult.

Whole it does list a 97% chance hit, that it the chance to hit versus dodge. It does not take cloak of fear into account.

Cloak of fear is annoying when the AI casts it, but a very effective ability.

February 6, 2014 10:28:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How much does 137 spell mastery raise the chance of failing to resist for me?

February 7, 2014 12:04:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 7, 2014 12:24:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here is one of my Footmen in question, he haz 86 spell mastery. I don't even know how it got that high, I neglect that stat always.

How much did Cloak of fear hurt it by?

February 7, 2014 12:55:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe it works how davrovana explained above, meaning the Footman's spell mastery doesn't matter in this context, rather his 46 spell resist. It's the 46 spell resist vs Magnar's 137 spell mastery, meaning it will still be extremely difficult to hit him.

February 7, 2014 1:06:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, if I subtract 46 from 137.. it gave me 91. So Magnar had like 91% chance of dodging through the cloak of fear?

Well color me impressed.

February 7, 2014 3:59:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you sure? The description says that the attacker must make a spell resistance check. I understand it this way: The attackers spell mastery against the defenders spell resistance. That would make sence.

If it works how you explain (attackers spell resistance versus defenders spell mastery) this would greatly favor a mage because this class has a huge spell mastery AND it can reduce the casting time by -1 (cloak of fear has a casting time of +1). So a mage with high initiative could become invulnerable???

February 7, 2014 4:10:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting csac1979,
So a mage with high initiative could become invulnerable???

Except for

• Ranged attacks
  • Area effects (dragon/drake breath, etc.)
  • Spells
  • Creatures immune to fear

Basically it's only a good defense against melee, and there only against attackers who can't get past the effect.

February 7, 2014 5:42:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting csac1979,
Are you sure? The description says that the attacker must make a spell resistance check. I understand it this way: The attackers spell mastery against the defenders spell resistance. That would make sence.

The attacker is the one trying to resist the effect, therefore it is the attacker's spell resistance which is checked against the defender's spell mastery to determine whether or not the attacker can attempt to land a blow. To put it another way, a unit which has Cloak of Fear essentially casts a spell on anyone who attempts to engage them in melee combat; if this spell gets resisted, then the opponent can attack normally.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: