Elemental for 2014

By on January 28, 2014 4:19:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1470

Derek (Kael) has been super busy with the general expansion of Stardock Entertainment over the past 3 years.  AS I type this, there are 7 concurrent game projects going on.  Back in 2008, I dreamt of having a second team.  Here we are, 6 years later with seven teams.  I’m writing this from the airplane on my way to visit one of the new studios (one that hasn’t been announced yet).

So what does that mean for fans of the Elemental universe?  The answer is, lots of good news.  While Galactic Civilizations III heads towards its March alpha, the Elemental team is hard at work on a new DLC pack for this Winter tentatively called “Monarchs” which will bring more channelers to the world for players to play with.  In addition, we expect to announce the third game in the Elemental fantasy universe this year.  It will be dramatically different from War of Magic or Fallen Enchantress.

Without giving too much away about the new game, which we expect to formally announce this Spring, its planned feature set includes:

• Radically different races (players won’t design units ala WOM/FE but in exchange each unit is custom crafted and visually stunning)
  • Crafting (the player STARTS with the Forge of the Overlord and getting recipes and loot now mean being able to craft some really cool stuff)
  • The player starts by choosing their sovereign and deciding what spell book he or she has. The more spell books of a particular type, the more likely the player will be able to use their lore to research rarer spells in that category.
  • No tech tree. Instead, the available units are based on how you construct your cities.
  • Each hero has his or her own unique talent tree (there won’t be a “Defender” class for instance) that players can then use to customize their heroes.
  • Because of the stronger emphasis on magic, vastly more spells will be available strategically and tactically. Sovereign spells are available in every battle as your sovereign, thanks to the Forge of the Overlord, can “see” anything in the world that his/her units can see (as a result, your sovereign interacts with the world indirectly from the capital and doesn’t appear as a playable unit).

It’s been in development for awhile, prior to LH.  LH was originally supposed to be a minor expansion on FE but as you’ve probably gathered, we really love making these games.  The next update to LH is in the works, pathfinding improvements, performance and some other updates are scheduled.

Locked Post 171 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 28, 2014 4:43:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You're killing me Smalls!

LOL, I don't even have my dirty mitts on GCIII and you're already tempting me with this! Sounds awesome, and glad to hear there is more to LH coming out as well.

January 28, 2014 4:53:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Im looking forward to this....

January 28, 2014 4:56:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It sounds great!

I just hope my PC will be able to meet the system requirements, like it can with LH.

January 28, 2014 5:30:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sound great.

If I can ask, why this waiting with the announcement? Can't we have it today?

Is it for marketing reasons? Or the works have to be truly advanced - so the chance of abandoning project are minimal? 

January 28, 2014 5:33:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This sounds great!

I've been play Master of Magic again lately (Yay Good Old Games!), and have thought about posting here to suggest that an expansion that includes a more diverse and atmospheric magic system would be great to see. The huge number of spells, the way some game changing spells are rare and so not seen often, and the way each school has its own consistent feel and resulting varying game play all combine to the appeal of MOM. The magic system in FE has never felt quite right: too few spells, too little variety, too similar game to game, so I hope this expansion turns that around.

I buy every game Stardock produces to support what I think is the most responsive developer in the business, but it's even better when they are making the product I want too. (Seven game teams!? My credit card is in for a scorching!)

Thanks to everyone there at Stardock. 

Ben

January 28, 2014 5:47:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sounds fun. can't wait to check it out.

January 28, 2014 7:15:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

When the announcement comes out, will we know what engine the Elemental sequel being built on?

January 28, 2014 8:30:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This really sounds interesting - my initial impression is this might be like the old AOW games.

Many ideas I wanted but felt were too ambitious to add to the game realistically, so I am stoked.

January 28, 2014 9:00:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

VERY interesting.

- The way Frogboy is describing the details of FE3 reminds me a great deal in how MoM works.

- I am also very interested in obtaining more DLC. Nom Nom Nom. I like DLC.

- No message though on whether FE:LH will receive a 1.6 update?

January 28, 2014 10:16:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

It is there.

The next update to LH is in the works, pathfinding improvements, performance and some other updates are scheduled.

I'm excited to see more progress with the elemental universe. Out of curiosity will the next iteration will be 64 bit?

January 28, 2014 10:29:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Crafting (the player STARTS with the Forge of the Overlord and getting recipes and loot now mean being able to craft some really cool stuff) The player starts by choosing their sovereign and deciding what spell book he or she has. The more spell books of a particular type, the more likely the player will be able to use their lore to research rarer spells in that category. No tech tree. Instead, the available units are based on how you construct your cities. Each hero has his or her own unique talent tree (there won’t be a “Defender” class for instance) that players can then use to customize their heroes. Because of the stronger emphasis on magic, vastly more spells will be available strategically and tactically. Sovereign spells are available in every battle as your sovereign, thanks to the Forge of the Overlord, can “see” anything in the world that his/her units can see (as a result, your sovereign interacts with the world indirectly from the capital and doesn’t appear as a playable unit).

Good good, you've finally come to your senses and are making a MoM clone 

Will be really interesting to see this and the LH updates mentioned.

January 29, 2014 1:47:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got really really really important question....

Will there be Iron golems? I love those units.

January 29, 2014 3:00:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hm... sounds quite like Age of Wonders... not that it's a bad thing, i love AoW, we will see how your approach is.

but you as player have the forge of the overlord, what are all the other players doing?

January 29, 2014 5:34:04 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

No tech tree. Instead, the available units are based on how you construct your cities.

So you could train archers much early, but they will require more time to train, while training crossbowmen will take much less time, yet you would need well-developed city (due higher tech requirement)? Just as example.

January 29, 2014 5:55:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay!

January 29, 2014 6:29:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds interesting. Hopefully unique races also means some cool stuff we rarely see otherwise in fantasy games - i m thinking skaven/ratmen or an insectoid race for example. or something other genuinely cool and interesting other than the genre standards (humans, elves, dwarves, orcs/goblins, lizard/dragonmen, undead, hobbits etc. )

Will the way battles work also be changed ? I d love to see bigger scale battles because outside of Total Wars mods I don’t know a single fantasy game that does it - it could be something that sets the new elemental game apart from the competition. You know ... "bigger scale" as in the background you can see on elementalgame.com for example – each side fielding hundreds if not thousands of soldiers. Unlike Master of Magic / Elemental / Age of Wonders where its mostly 20 vs 20 (or even less) or at best 70 vs 70 no really giving those battles a proper "battle" feeling - more like skirmish. a pet peeve of mine i think i ve mentioned already (probably even more than once )

Removing the tech tree and using building is a good idea for a fantasy TBS imho. I thought the tech tree was one of Legendary Heroes weaknesses…

Anyway, I gotta admit I stopped playing LH as I didn’t care much for the DLC but it was still worth every single cent and I look forward to the next game in the series.

January 29, 2014 7:59:05 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting razzafazza,
Unlike Master of Magic / Elemental / Age of Wonders where its mostly 20 vs 20 (or even less) or at best 70 vs 70 no really giving those battles a proper "battle" feeling - more like skirmish. a pet peeve of mine i think i ve mentioned already (probably even more than once )

So you wouldn't like Fantasy Wars "reinforcements" system, where you could add more troops as long as there is space? "Zerg rush, ke-ke-ke".

January 29, 2014 8:51:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Quoting GFireflyE,
reply 9

It is there.

I was looking with my nose.

January 29, 2014 12:03:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love tech trees, and too few fantasy 4X have them. Anyways; looking forward to hear more about this and I'm sure there will be quality gameplay. Just hope there will be alot of strategy in it, even without a Tech tree.

And new FE DLC's and updates! Love it! And soon the GalCiv3 alpha. Nice to see one of my top 3 favorite developers (Top 3: Stardock, Paradox and Firaxis) growing bigger and giving me more new quality releases I'm interested in then ever before. Means you will get more of my money then ever before too, but that's quite allright.

NB! My next hope goes for a Civilisation type 4X from Stardock. Time to give Firaxis some competition again. A long time since Call to Power now. I know, I know Brad, you and the Firaxis lads are good mates, but God damn what an interesting project that would have been. Make "Civilization VI" the way Stardock would have made it, and 64 bit of course.

January 29, 2014 12:42:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seeing unit designs and tech trees go is a bit of a let-down.

I really hope you guys can bring an extra level to the magic in the game. It's not really about having more spells available but rather how cool the things they do are. I'm sincerely hoping for some cool terrain effects both in strategic and tactical maps. To this day I say that the coolest thing about any of the Elemental games so far is conjuring a volcano on the map. You can expand on that so much - why doesn't the tornado you summon in LH stay on the map for a while and wreak some havoc? Why aren't there spells to set the forests on fire? Or create new crystal entity kingdoms out of the mountains? Or break the world in two with a Chasm!? And look at Dom3/Dom4 for some crazy unit-level spell ideas that work without being completely unbalanced - like how you can risk madness by entering some portal to summon demons to your aid. Or even just freezing a river so your soldiers can walk across it without penalty.

January 29, 2014 12:43:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Sounds exactly like Master of Magic 2

Now just add Multiplayer to that list ( you can borrow code from Galciv3  )

January 29, 2014 1:13:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

100% exactly precisely positively like master of magic 2!

--- Frogboy, don't know how this would fit with your resources and budget but (IMO) one of the charms of MoM was the 'fluff' which gave you a feeling of being a wizard ruler in your tower.

e.g. the 'cutscene' vignettes like when you did summoning, seeing your character up close sometimes accompanied by a familiar, the presentation of your spell books, the various accoutrementslike staffs cauldrons etc.

Is this something you've had thoughts on?

January 29, 2014 1:18:00 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
I really hope you guys can bring an extra level to the magic in the game.

My idee fixe (not really ) for magic is magic affinity (adjustible with slider during character creation) - the higher it is, the more damage you do, but more damage from magic you'll receive. Zero affinity - total immunity to magic, all magic, even friendly, buffing, or healing. Similar effect could be done to "divine" magic, should one be present.

Seeing somewhat similar, yet only one-timer in Book of Eschalon was a great surprise and fun for me.

Could create dangerous playing option for "glass-cannon" type of character - who stings like a nuke, but dies from unapproving sight.

January 29, 2014 1:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So help me understand the difference between LH and this upcoming new iteration..

Gains:

+Many more spells

+Crafted Items

Losses:

-Crafted Units

-Tech tree

-Custom Sovereigns? (Because if every Sovereign has their own unique tree... or can I still make a custom sovereign and choose a tree for them?)

-Champions/Heroes? What happens to these guys? Are they now downgraded to be slightly lesser champs? I kind of liked the customization of the non-sovereign champs too!

I'm just trying to compare discrete differences. For example, I'm not counting "radically different races" as + or a - because the races are different right now. So we can't really say "oh they will be more different". So far, it seems we lose certain things completely, and gain crafting items.  Dont get me wrong, I'm sure it'll be awesome and I will be there spending XX to be playing it as early as possible. I'm just feeling a bit sad because I did enjoy crafting unit. The tech tree.. well it wasn't uber amazing or anything.. maybe a building "tree" is a better replacement.

Basically, am I getting more customization? Because the more the better

January 29, 2014 1:44:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game you are talking about sounds a whole lot like age of wonders.... Maybe with a little dominions thrown in.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time: