Autoresolve vs Dragons

By on January 22, 2014 12:25:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ericridge

Join Date 02/2012
+27

Bear with me, I decided to take a look at one of autoresolve battles and found out that it was borderline ridiculous

I was exploring the wildlands, and found one of the wildlands known as the treasure caves something, where you explore them and find a monster army that murders you or a treasure instead!~

One of the caves unleashed a fell dragon on me, that took me by a big surprise and then I was like sad and conceded defeat to it.

So I pressed auto resolve to get the inevitable defeat over with.

Oh I win.

My army is Mah ericridge using a ninja hood, and leather armored spearmen wielding fearsome basic spears and that's it.

You see the Fell dragon's stats?

This shows my Ericridge being wtfpwnt by fire breath.

This is showing how weak I am at beginning of the game.

I'm not sure, but I think I was hit by fire breath on ericridge alone, TWICE!

And this is my Spearmen spamming Guarded Strike on Fell dragon again and again and again and again while Fell Dragon takes a nap.

Damage per strike is 0-3 with several impales thrown in for a good measure.

In other words, My spearmen trolled an AFK fell dragon to death with guarded strike spam.

This brought back the old old memories of me ganking several high level afk hordes in contested territory in world of warcraft when I was low level.

Yeah Auto resolve is whack

Locked Post 13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 22, 2014 1:47:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OTOH, you only got 14 XP (for your sov) and 6 XP (for the units) for defeating a level 13 Fell Dragon...

Maybe it was an illusionary Fell Dragon 

January 22, 2014 3:14:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Crastiloowa,
OTOH, you only got 14 XP (for your sov) and 6 XP (for the units) for defeating a level 13 Fell Dragon...

Maybe it was an illusionary Fell Dragon 

Indeed...afterall, it was a really easy win. I would have thought a Deadly lvl 13 Fell Dragon would have utterly crushed you...

January 22, 2014 7:18:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah Will post more illusionary dragons if I run into them

January 23, 2014 12:15:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah I've had this happen to me before, though it was also with a Fell Dragon.

February 10, 2014 8:43:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+1 dragon autoresolve bug confirm. Autoresolve is generally pretty horrid - it also likes getting your archers & mages killed while melee units emerge unscatched, presumably because the calculation doesn't account for the melees protecting the ranged.

February 10, 2014 12:25:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is buggy, but in defense of auto-resolve, attrition and unexpected casualties are more realistic to warfare, no?

I find it does keep me on my toes, since I only auto-resolve battles I think I'll win with minimal losses. Then - surprises.

Also, it keeps you on the AI's level, because they are stuck with it, no?

February 10, 2014 3:28:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After several more illusionary Fell Dragons in a row, now even a chambercoil dragon join the ranks of walking dead.

At this point, I'm convinced that auto resolve is broken as hell. They basically burn a fire breath on a hero which "dies but doesn't die even when the damage is well in excessive over 5 times their hp values."

Then proceed to spend about next 100 turns standbying as the weak units with nothing but wooden clubs and basic spears slowly kill it. 

Auto resolve is definitely busted.

I even had a time where six air shrills with 8 hp each killed nine knights on horseback with over 800 hp each in auto resolve.

And davrovana, that's why we need to fix it, the AI is the one that's getting shafted the worst due to bullshit results.

Pity I can't remember old youtube video of an low level alliance killing an afk horde character althouogh it took him like few minutes to do it but succeeded at it. Was funny to watch, would definitely apply to auto resolve.

Oh and to protect your ranged units in auto resolve you have to hide them in slots 4,5,6. Never place them in 1,2,3,7,8,9. They will almost never die if you do that. Cuz autoresolve is evil.

February 14, 2014 1:46:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

bump

February 15, 2014 2:05:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ericridge,
I even had a time where six air shrills with 8 hp each killed nine knights on horseback with over 800 hp each in auto resolve.

That's because air shrills are completely busted on autoresolve and gain some weird damage buff:

February 15, 2014 3:02:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's very hilarious, if also equally tragic. This, coupled with the Tame bug and Dead faction issues, are some of the key fixes needed for 1.6 in my honest opinion. Not accounting for position and ranges in autoresolve is fair, but as long as it doesn't provides too far from playing each combat manually but choosing the option to let the AI take over your units, it should be fine (actually, does simply letting the game run the combat in full with each auto-resolve, but without showing you anything except the final results and a combat log result in waiting long periods for autoresolve results?).

Not playing out the combat like a AI-controlled manual combat scenario is also why abilities like Terror and Web aren't functioning properly in auto-resolve (they are automatically negated like an attack that does 0 damage).

February 15, 2014 4:44:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Apheirox,

Quoting Ericridge, reply 7I even had a time where six air shrills with 8 hp each killed nine knights on horseback with over 800 hp each in auto resolve.

That's because air shrills are completely busted on autoresolve and gain some weird damage buff:

Reduced 29%Original 1920 x 1080

I have a guess on why shrills is death incarnate in auto resolve.. i think its because magic resist isn't accounted for them in auto resolve for some reason. SO instead of doing just 3-9 damage per hit, they now do big damage. And it's almost like sometimes there is no scalable terrain in autoresolve. So melee units will just sit there while ranged units kill them slowly because they're unreachable.

February 17, 2014 4:28:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

An Air Shrill would have to be level 29 to deal 33 points of damage to anything so there's no good explanation for why this is happening.

February 17, 2014 12:12:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Apheirox,

An Air Shrill would have to be level 29 to deal 33 points of damage to anything so there's no good explanation for why this is happening.

Yikes haha Didn't know.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: