Wildland monsters should not leave their wildland

By on January 19, 2014 8:26:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Apheirox

Join Date 04/2006
+3

Period.

Vetrar the ice king is trekking round the map like some backpacker hippie and Obsidian golems are leaving their designated guard posts, terrorizing the local area and letting the player snatch their lair-items much too early. Please lock wildland monsters to the wildland area so all this nonsense can stop.

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 19, 2014 11:10:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it when they leave the wild lands, My only regret is that the wildlands cannot expand.

If I can bring down a obsidian golem in first 50 turns of the game with basic spears.... so can you.

Obsidian Golem's biggest mistake was picking a fight with me instead of going for the AI and emerging victorious.

Or was it in the first 150 turns? I forgot, happened last year.

Anyways, it makes the world more lively place instead of quiet and safe.

January 23, 2014 7:06:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's about the principle of it, not the difficulty. I can bring down golems fine myself but that doesn't make it right seeing them racing around the map. The guardian golems should do just that - guard; Vetrar, an ice giant, should stay in the ice wildland rather than embark on some sightseeing trip as this particular boss monster has a habit of doing.

January 23, 2014 10:27:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ericridge,
I like it when they leave the wild lands, My only regret is that the wildlands cannot expand.

Someone has been reading my suggestions. 

Alas, I don't think SD will actually go that route....but it sure would be nice if wildlands were nodal in design and expanded. I've always thought it odd that, in the intro cutscene, these Wildand mega Creatures are released from the Cataclysm... and as a player you are meant to clear them.... but they are content to live in their small little worlds and the player never HAS to defeat them to win.

I would PAY for a DLC that addressed this:

• Each lair would be a node to the wildland and would have it's own ZoC.
  • Wildlands could now be designed dynamically to the map size you are playing on. (ex: small map = small wildlands with few nodes.)
  • Each Wildland would be it's own 'race' so as to not have different wildlands merging together (though they could still use the same color I suppose)
  • Every X turns (maybe 40), an event would 'expand all wildlands', increasing the ZoC of each node by 1.
  • Every X turns (maybe 10), each Wildland node spawns a reasonable amount of monster + experience.
  • Wildland Monsters within the Wildland are hyper-aggressive to intruders and Cities/Outposts that are in the Wildland ZoC (this includes being consumed by the expanding ZoC)
  • Cities/Outposts conquered by Wildland Monsters BECOME lairs and thus become nodes and follow the same rules as above.
  • Cities/Outposts are not 'destroyed'.  City Lairs receive monster defenders.
  • Cities/Outposts can be reconquered back by player/AI forces.
  • A Wildland is defeated only when the Wildland boss is defeated AND all nodes are removed.
  • If a Wildland Boss is defeated, Wildland nodes no longer spawn new monsters.
  • If all nodes are removed, remaining Wildland creatures simply become rampaging monsters, destroying cities/outposts instead of conquering them.

Toss in 1-2 new wildlands aswell and call it a DLC.

January 23, 2014 11:29:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Karma to firefly - add some more advanced mercenaries and other stuff that makes the world more living, and a DLC is good to go

January 23, 2014 1:44:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,
I would PAY for a DLC that addressed this:

Each lair would be a node to the wildland and would have it's own ZoC.
Wildlands could now be designed dynamically to the map size you are playing on. (ex: small map = small wildlands with few nodes.)
Each Wildland would be it's own 'race' so as to not have different wildlands merging together (though they could still use the same color I suppose)
Every X turns (maybe 40), an event would 'expand all wildlands', increasing the ZoC of each node by 1.
Every X turns (maybe 10), each Wildland node spawns a reasonable amount of monster + experience.
Wildland Monsters within the Wildland are hyper-aggressive to intruders and Cities/Outposts that are in the Wildland ZoC (this includes being consumed by the expanding ZoC)
Cities/Outposts conquered by Wildland Monsters BECOME lairs and thus become nodes and follow the same rules as above.
Cities/Outposts are not 'destroyed'. City Lairs receive monster defenders.
Cities/Outposts can be reconquered back by player/AI forces.
A Wildland is defeated only when the Wildland boss is defeated AND all nodes are removed.
If a Wildland Boss is defeated, Wildland nodes no longer spawn new monsters.
If all nodes are removed, remaining Wildland creatures simply become rampaging monsters, destroying cities/outposts instead of conquering them.

Toss in 1-2 new wildlands aswell and call it a DLC.

I am drooling on my keyboard dreaming of such a DLC!

January 23, 2014 3:04:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+1 karma to firefly as well.

January 27, 2014 3:36:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is very important to me as well.   The last patch notes said that this was addressed and fixed but it seems like it is still not functioning correctly.

Maybe next patch, but then again this has been reported since like 1.02 or earlier...

January 28, 2014 7:31:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 1, 2014 11:39:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting smeagolheart,

This is very important to me as well.   The last patch notes said that this was addressed and fixed but it seems like it is still not functioning correctly.

Maybe next patch, but then again this has been reported since like 1.02 or earlier...

This happened today.

Vetrar came by my borders and said hi then left.

I was slightly disappointed but relieved at same time because he was thinking about tearing my best conclave apart

And I brought so many hammers...

I think he saw my soldiers then thought twice and left. They ran to the conclave just southeast of the outpost you see in the pic.

February 13, 2014 10:10:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Vetrar is still bugged and killing him outside of his wildland will still lock it up so the terrain can't be cleansed.

Here's a screenshot I managed to take before an accidental tabbing out of the game caused a hard crash (it does that without fail):

That's a deadly army on turn 42 right beside my Conclave capital. The trolls come from what you can see as the extreme south east I've explored on the minimap around 40 tiles away. Of course, that conversely means I could run a hero in there and snatch all the monster cave goodies since the monsters aren't actually staying there to protect it.

If I sound slightly annoyed it may have to do with all the bugs I'm wading through trying to play this otherwise excellent game. StarDock, get your sh*t together...

February 14, 2014 2:18:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've seen a bunch of troll shaman's armies running around as well. It pillaged several of my improvements I just fortified my cities like a sissy then eventually it went away.

If you thought that was bad.. well, what about having four forest drake nests around your starting location? Had that happen to me last year. I survived that. Was when I learned that blacksmithing tech is truly awesome tech to rush for.

February 14, 2014 6:20:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting smeagolheart, reply 7
This is very important to me as well...

Seriously?

Seriously what?  That it's important to me that the devs address this? Yes.  Or that it's been reported for several versions and not fixed? Yes this is seriously true as well.

February 14, 2014 7:08:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 14, 2014 10:37:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting smeagolheart, reply 12

Seriously what?  That it's important to me that the devs address this? Yes.  Or that it's been reported for several versions and not fixed? Yes this is seriously true as well.

Are you willing to use mods to fix this important issue of yours?

I realize your mod will fix the problem, however, an official fix is best.   Suppose they update the game and that makes your mod is incompatible with their update for whatever reason.   Then we'd have to track you down to update your fix.    Mods shouldn't have to fix problems with the base game, they should add to the game or provide a different spin on it.   I appreciate your work, however, it's not the optimal solution.

It's better to get them to put an official fix for this widely reported issue that has been reported for a very long time.

February 14, 2014 10:46:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 25, 2014 11:44:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like it to be an option, available from the opening advanced menu, that lets you keep wildland monsters in their natural habitats. But I doubt this will change.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000140   Page Render Time: