A problem with the Display other outlines option.

By on January 3, 2014 10:47:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

EvilMaxWar

Join Date 10/2007
+48

I remove this option because it significantly improve the game performance on my somewhat old computer.

The problem:

When you remove the "display other outlines" option, the tile highlight for movement range in battles become almost invisible. I have to squint like crazy to see them. On some terrain type I have to go to option and reactive just for the battle.

So I have to chose between ruining my vision or bad FPS.

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 6, 2014 9:03:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe abob101 had at one point created a mod to improve movement range highlighting visibility here:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/448478/page/6/#138

...though i looks like the dropbox link is no longer valid.  Might send him a PM to see if he still has it around...

January 6, 2014 2:01:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks, I tried PM him, He has not been on the forum for over a month but with a bit of luck he will get an email notification.

In the least this gives me a hint about how I could mod it myself.

January 7, 2014 8:58:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi guys,

Yep i'm still around kinda in lurk mode currently... took a bit of a break for a few weeks but i'm around.  

The gfx files are available still there's another post in that thread where I included new info (there 2 versions you can try now), but in any case here it is:

If anyone want so try these, here are the new links to the two files:

High Contract version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100348448/TileSelectionTextureHigh_Tactical.dds.highcontrast

Mid Contract version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100348448/TileSelectionTexture_Tactical.dds.midcontract

Just save the file (removing the .highcontrast / .midcontast from the end) to your documents/my games/LegendaryHeroes/mods/gfx, make sure mods are turned on and you're good to go.

Give that a go.

Cheers (and happy new year all)

January 7, 2014 6:18:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

thanks for getting back to me

I tried installing it exactly as you described, restarted the game after checking the "use mods" option and it does not seem to change anything.

Edit: I tried with the high contrast version only, I will try with the other one just in case.

Here are pictures of what it looks like:  ( with the other outline option ON )

And now with the Other outline option OFF

January 8, 2014 8:39:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Doesn't look like it worked for you, here's another version to try... it's very high contrast (ugly looking for me):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100348448/TileSelectionTexture_Tactical.dds.test

Try saving that one.  Here's what it looks like for me with the Other Outlines OFF:

You should definitely notice the difference with this version if it's working correctly.

Make sure the the file is exactly named "TileSelectionTexture_Tactical.dds", and is definitely sitting in the ..... Documents\My Games\LegendaryHeroes\Mods\Gfx folder.

If that still isn't working then... do you have any other mods installed?

The other thing you could do is to try overwriting the default one in the core folder.  It's located in:

... Steam\SteamApps\common\FE Legendary Heroes\Gfx

You'll find a file called "TileSelectionTexture_Tactical.dds" in that location.  Rename it to something else (eg. "TileSelectionTexture_Tactical.dds.original" then drop one of my version in there.  That should definitely change it... just bear in mind that Steam might overwrite it when it updates the game.

Let me know how that goes.

January 8, 2014 10:09:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks! Got it working now!

Silly me, I had forgot to remove the High in the filename, I only removed the fake extension at the end.

I will try all 3 and tell you which I prefer.

Thanks a lot.

Here, both you and crastiloo get a Karma.

January 8, 2014 11:58:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EvilMaxWar,
Silly me, I had forgot to remove the High in the filename, I only removed the fake extension at the end.

Oops, no that's my bad.... good spot.  I should have removed that.

Quoting EvilMaxWar,
I will try all 3 and tell you which I prefer.

No prob.  You can always edit it yourself to create your own if you have GIMP or something similar to edit the file.... change the contrast or do whatever you want with it.

You're right though, when you turn off that Other Outlines option, it does make the tile selection overlay (even) harder to see... I had never tried that before until you mentioned it but I found the same as you, *very* hard to see the default one with it off.

January 8, 2014 2:26:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tried all variants and here is my verdict.

Medium: MUCH better than default. But still slightly faint on some terrain type with the Outlines Off

High: Perfect to use with other outline removed. This is what I will use from now on.

Very high. Needlessly high contrast for visibility purpose but some people might enjoy the look.

Thanks again, Glad this issue is fixed from my game!

January 10, 2014 1:01:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm using the High contrast option, it has made an enormous difference. My eyes thank you!

March 5, 2014 1:53:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for this. I'm partially color blind you know.... I use "very high" and it doesn't bothers me at all. I need very high contrast items around my life. Thanks again.

June 27, 2014 7:56:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

another vote for the high contrast version.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0004750   Page Render Time: