Meet the Altarian Leader, Akari Malara

By on December 3, 2013 4:13:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

abiessener

Join Date 01/2006
+46

(click the pic for a full-res, downloadable version)

Humanity’s allies are bloodied but unbroken in the Galactic Civilizations III timeframe. The former leader of the Republic, Eleys Mue, died at the hands of the Drengin paving the way for the Resistance to take more direct measures that ultimately pushed the Drengin off her world.  Succeeding her is Akari Malara of the Iru-Wraith'ir. She is a smart and capable woman willing to deal with the Drengin-dominated galaxy as it is, not the galaxy some of her peace-loving people wish it was. The Altarian Republic is in good -- or at least effective -- hands.

Lead designer Paul Boyer explains Akari Malara thusly:

Like the Terrans, the Altarian Republic has suffered greatly after the wars surrounding the return of the Dread Lords. They may have been wiped out entirely if not for the leader of the Altarian Resistance, Akari Malara. She kept the Altarian people united, giving them the strength to hold firm in the face of the Drengin domination of the galaxy.

While the Altarian Republic now claims to have never truly fallen, their government has been entirely taken over by the key members of the Altarian Resistance. This change can be seen in the way the Altarians now interact with the rest of the galaxy; though still looked upon as the high water mark of benevolence, they are now even less likely to trust outsiders and will often choose to stay aloof from galactic conflict rather than risking further cultural contamination.

Akari Malara herself has become an almost religious figure. The Altarian Resistance sees her as the savior of the Altarian people, and her control over her people is unprecedented in Altarian history. Even her worst critics admire her leadership, though they whisper that she is perhaps a bit too pragmatic.

There’s a lot more Galactic Civilizations III content out there already. Learn more about the Altarian Resistance and its prominent place in the Galactic Civilizations universe in the Databanks, check out PC Gamer’s in-depth preview, or listen to Paul talk everything from tutorial modes to ship design on the SpaceGameJunkies podcast.

Founders can access even more content in the Founders’ Vault by pre-ordering the game for $10 off the regular $49.99 price, or by picking up the $99 version that comes with a lifetime subscription to all Galactic Civilizations III DLC and expansions.

Update:

Fixed the confusion between Elsys Mue, the leader of the Altarian Republic and Akari Malari, the resistance leader who restored Altaria's independence.

Locked Post 234 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 17, 2014 3:59:27 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Logan, when you read the whole thread you'll find out...

January 17, 2014 5:11:18 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting logan0178,

What's with the blue skin?  Altarians are supposed to be genetically identical to humans.

Where did you get this from? Because Genetically identical is not what I've read. Humans and Altarians Look Very similar, but that doesn't mean they are genetically the same. 

January 17, 2014 8:29:51 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Tridus,

Quoting admiralWillyWilber, reply 168

Quoting Starbound_Dust, reply 166

Maybe they're focused on not dying and other priorities over makeup? The Drengin are not going to go and say "oh, nice eye shadow, we will not enslave your race now."

This conversation is mind numblingly stupid. 

So are we saying that there will never be a Belana Toris. If Altaria ever did get invaded, the Drengins would have to be imune to dark energy. Maybe geneticall altered with Altarian Dna, but if that ever happened I think she would rather have eyeliner on rather than be on the menu.

January 18, 2014 1:26:11 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting logan0178,

What's with the blue skin?

They decided to apply face paint, to make themselves different from humans at first glance. Probably got tired from other aliens confusing them.

JK.

January 18, 2014 10:38:52 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Rudy_102,

Quoting logan0178, reply 175
What's with the blue skin?

They decided to apply face paint, to make themselves different from humans at first glance. Probably got tired from other aliens confusing them.

JK.

That's more like it cool!!!

January 19, 2014 10:25:34 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

It's a good leader pic, imo. Didn't know she will be a dictator. Would be interesting to see if absolute power corrupts absolutely in her case.

As for a name...how about "Unified States/Colonies of Altaria", "Unified Citizens of Altaria" or "Unity of Altar"? Dictator's assume such things alot, as in "we're all together in this, regardless of me governing all by myself" and such...

Btw, have you thought of titles for her? I propose Grand Mother/Mother Supreme/Caretaker of Altar.

I'm most deffinatelly joining the Founders project, as soon as my next paycheck arrives.

*Btw, none of the above are more than suggestions(but if you like any of, even better). I don't want to tell you how to create your game. The best way - imo - to make a game others will like is to first like it and want to play it yourself, and not try to materialize someone elses' artistic vision.

January 19, 2014 9:47:38 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

There is a real and logical way to explain this. (I hope we can pick multiple leaders per civ and each would give a different bonus.)

IMHO there are many ethnicities of humans and every species on earth. The altarians are not different, in one area they are white another they are blue. It's even happened before on earth when a family had abnormal blood flow in there bodies causing a lack of oxygen in the blood making a blue tint.( I forgot if the weird genetics were because generations of insest or not but feel free to google it.)

1 lack of oxygen in the atmosphere in an area of the planet due to high altitude

2 the food on one of the continents were they evolved would be a major factor.

3 metal content. Specifically neodenium* (I probably didn't spell it right, but I was referring to the element.)

4 or something to do with the precursor presence on the planet specifically it might have been in one area but as they moved through the planet and away from the precursor area (which made them blue.) the altarians lost the tint.

5 radiation is different at different hemispheres and they might have absorbed another part of the light spectrum.

although they are all my ideas 2 is the best option to explain the difference in color.

nothing should be permanent at this point so the tattoos can still be added. And since elsys mue is dead. a race specific super project should be made to honor her leadership and liberation of altaris from the drengin menace.

January 21, 2014 7:19:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love how this thread continually covers the same topic over and over and over and over again.

January 21, 2014 7:23:03 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Phaedyme,

I love how this thread continually covers the same topic over and over and over and over again.

At least it's confined to one thread this time.

It would be nice if people would read the first couple of pages though.

January 22, 2014 6:16:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who knew of all possible topics that blue skin would garner so much attention?

January 22, 2014 1:26:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Unfortunately humans seem have to have a skin obsession... Come to think about it, so do Drengin, of the crispy kind

January 22, 2014 3:27:27 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Achronous,
Unfortunately humans seem have to have a skin obsession...

And then there is crispy chicken skin -- and pork rinds (also known as pork scratchings or pork cracklings by our UK friends).

January 22, 2014 11:11:50 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yeah I think the biggest of any of my threads ever get is 28 before they finally stop. I think the biggest thread on this site is over 4000.

January 23, 2014 1:44:32 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Now we need Jamie Oliver here for his "delicious crispy bits, with a little bit of parmesan, few drops of extra virgin olive oil and some lemon juice".

January 27, 2014 10:22:44 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I like the new look, the previous Alterians always struck me as a little too human. I know it's explained in the lore why this is but still...

I must say, she does remind of the Asari in the Mass Effect series.

January 27, 2014 11:39:10 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

If the asari looked like this (with hair). I would have romanced liara (not counting that thing back on the old SR-1 that doesn't count )

January 29, 2014 3:54:39 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yeah, and Asari looked like Syreens from one particular series we all know about, right? The whole ME did like it was some LSD-conversion of Star Control... Or, maybe, maple syrop overdose, not LSD.

January 29, 2014 2:03:42 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Wft are you talking about! Like real LSD? Lol. Seriously I have been thinking about learning Russian. And there is one post here entitled "Russian localization will?" which has never been answered. So if anyone knows Russian...

January 29, 2014 2:20:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I've heard there is a lot of Russians in DOTA, so maybe you should go there.

January 29, 2014 2:32:28 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

DOTA?

January 30, 2014 3:13:14 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hey Rudy are you Russian.

January 30, 2014 4:24:00 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

Hey Rudy are you Russian.

Of course, I'm Soviet T-34, not American T34! Do I look like Calliope to you?

January 31, 2014 2:23:18 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Oh yeah didn't get that from now on your not just Russian, but you are Soviet.

January 31, 2014 6:10:13 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

Oh yeah didn't get that from now on your not just Russian, but you are Soviet.

Yes, comrade! Want some wodka tea from Samovar? If you want some music, I'll send my bear adjutant in ushanka for his balalayka, he left it in his reactor, where he is warming up, because it's too cold for instrument to carry it in such cold. But it will take some time - reactor located in the middle of the forest and you won't get there fast, even if you drive there on tank.

January 31, 2014 6:42:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Rudy your in with the world now. So quit talking about old soviet shit no one cares about. Not in today's America. And the above post was actually the the FUNNIEST joke I have ever heard you say. If I understood you correctly. The vodka and tea was FUNNY the Chernobyl joke was FUNNY. But no one wants to hear jokes about our country from a soviet! And you don't want us to do the same to you. Let make jokes about ourselves not each other that would be better than sinking back into the cold war.

(these words are setting of so many NSA triggers lol)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: