Frogboy Appreciation Thread

By on November 30, 2013 10:06:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Primal_Savage

Join Date 07/2013
+166

In light of recent developments, I just wanted to share my appreciation for what Frogboy has done for this game and its AI. He certainly is not alone working on this outstanding game (Kudos to everyone @ Stardock), but he's one of the few that has maintained an open dialog w/ the gamers and for that I thank you. I wish you the best w/ GalCiv III AI, although I wish you would keep participating, in some ways, to LH AI development.  

Locked Post 45 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 5, 2013 11:27:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting Borg999,
reply 24
Or to put it another way, there is no need for appreciation threads or pats on the back, as Brad has been compensated for his sacrifice in the form of the money we collectively paid him for the product.

Yeah, no. You have your values, other people have other values. Mistwraithe got it right:

Quoting Mistwraithe,
reply 12
Seems the sort of thread where if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Yes, but I see no value in attempting to thwart a different perspective.

December 5, 2013 12:26:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,
That is, a decision is made by the execs/owners as to what actions will generate the most long term sales.

Brad has clearly said in interviews and online posts that one of the main things which motivates him is interaction with users. If the only thing which motivated him was money he would presumably have kept Impulse and refocused Stardock around that money making machine, rather than selling Impulse and using the money to build the company he wanted. I honestly can't think of another company which when faced with the public relations disaster of the original Elemental would have said "we'll keep working on this for as long as it takes until we have the good game that we wanted to make". The pay-off may be coming now, but it was far from clear there would be ever be a pay-off when the decision was taken. So please don't assume that "economic motivations" are the only type; many, many people are more motivated by appreciation of their efforts, or making a good product, than by money. People need money to do things, sure, but that doesn't mean that the only thing people are motivated by is money.

December 5, 2013 12:48:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting merlinme,

Brad has clearly said in interviews and online posts that one of the main things which motivates him is interaction with users.

Presenting a certain "face"or image to the public is a decision made as part of developing a business strategy. e.g Positioning yourself in the market as the "anti-EA".

December 5, 2013 1:19:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Quoting merlinme,
reply 27

Brad has clearly said in interviews and online posts that one of the main things which motivates him is interaction with users.

Presenting a certain "face"or image to the public is a decision made as part of developing a business strategy. e.g Positioning yourself in the market as the "anti-EA".

He got my +1

December 5, 2013 1:19:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Borg999

Not everyone has to share everyone's opinion. You have yours, good for you.

It is, however, disrespectful to come in this type thread and attempt to derail it.

I'm not gonna grant you the satisfaction of answering further posts on the subject, I hope your adult enough to just step aside and let this thread be.

LH Mods by Primal

XtraDeconstruct

XtraDeconstruct Canons

December 5, 2013 1:59:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,
@Borg999

Not everyone has to share everyone's opinion. You have yours, good for you.

It is, however, disrespectful to come in this type thread and attempt to derail it.

I'm not gonna grant you the satisfaction of answering further posts on the subject, I hope your adult enough to just step aside and let this thread be.

It was not my intent to be disrespectful, or derail the thread, simply to express my perspective. But, since it bothers you, I will stop.

December 5, 2013 2:17:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LOL you didn't mean to be disrespectful? You come into a "thanks for your hard work" thread and start bashing the person and not once you ever thought it was disrespectful? Are you a westboro baptist? 

December 5, 2013 2:30:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Matopicus,
LOL you didn't mean to be disrespectful? You come into a "thanks for your hard work" thread and start bashing the person and not once you ever thought it was disrespectful? Are you a westboro baptist? 

OK, I said I wasn't going to continue, but I am not going to let such a response go unanswered. First, it's very "brave" of you to respond in such a way after I stated I wouldn't post here any further....

Second, I didn't bash anyone, I was simply conveying the economic realities of business.

December 5, 2013 4:12:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Going back to the main point of this thread...

THANK YOU BRAD!!!!

I for one appreciate all the extra work you have put in to make this product all that it is... that being said... if your devs have a little bit of extra time, finishing out the modding tools, that would be greatly, very much, beyond what my mere words can express, AWESOME...

December 6, 2013 9:59:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Second, I didn't bash anyone, I was simply conveying the economic realities of business.

You didn't say anything nasty.   You just refused to say anything nice.   If you do not realize how much of a passive aggresive attack that is, then you have an opportunity to learn from the reactions you get.  Please pay attention to that opportunity.  It's the same lesson I am teaching my kids when they comment on other kids with disparaging  "well, whatever" type comments.   "But I didn't say anything bad!!" sounds just as dumb coming from you as it does from them.

You did convey the economic realities of business.  I grant you that.  You also ignored anyone's actual humanity happening behind the business.  I can only hope you do not treat everyone in your life in such a cold and calculating manner.  It sounds very depressing.  Some people are actually real, not just personas made up to impress or influence you. 

You implied that Brad does and posts nothing sincere, but only as a sales tactic.  Again, if you do not see that as an attack, please be aware that others will perceive that kind of approach as a demeaning attack, not just a mild one.   I know for certain I would be upset if you talked about me like that.  Again, I give you the benefit of the doubt that you did not see it that way, this one time.  Now, you should know better. 

You are entitled to your opinion.  The way you present your opinion in this case is unfortunate.

December 6, 2013 4:19:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I get paid for working, yet I still appreciate getting thanks for good work too..

Thank you from me too, Frogboy. And thank you for the rest of the team too. I've played everything you've published on PC and I'm glad you all got the boat sorted out after WoM. And you di. It with style.

December 7, 2013 3:59:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Brad for all you do, and continue to do.  You have a lot of good initiatives on the go at the present time!

December 12, 2013 9:28:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I feel like rewarding Froogy with his very own squirrel mount.  Maybe he will include them in a LH DLC.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Tonight_f22fc3_2996458.jpg

Carry on having fun, working hard, and doing right by your customers...

NOTE:  have to cut and paste link.  I'm not good with all the webby stuff yet.  Thanks for tip Cardinal Direction.

December 12, 2013 10:54:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

I feel like rewarding Froogy with his very own squirrel mount.  Maybe he will include them in a LH DLC.

haha, what the..

that would make a great avatar.

(link didn't work by the way, had to copy / paste)

December 12, 2013 12:08:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Matopicus,

It's funny that reading your post reminded me of a post i read about Civilization 5 a little while back. I love Civ 5 and will continue to play it (on and off) till 6 comes out. I have over 1100 hours in that game and look forward to more. Fallen Enchantress although doesn't meet _your_ standards meets mine just fine. I think brad did a WONDERFUL job at making the game easy to mod (it's xml files for god sake how much easier do you want it?, you want mod tools, open notepad there you go). I currently have a few hundred hours in FE:LH and a few hundred in FE, this is a game i'll be able to come back to over and over and over again like i do civilization.  

So thanks for all your efforts, hard work and sacrificed family time Brad don't listen to the nit pickers as the majority of your consumers love the game. Remember the content and happy rarely express there gratitude but the unhappy will ALWAYS complain.  So for every complaint you hear there's 10 or more that are happy with what you've done.

I look forward to GalCiv3 and hope you can put the same mentality towards that as you have FE. Keep your head up and your fingers moving

Love CIV 5 as well (I personally it is the best CIV game out of them all main reason is the combat feels more like Tactical combat then the other versions did)

Anyway what the person meant by no mod tools is that  the tools are not good for non-programmers. Sure if your the programmer type then yes the game is easy to mod but most of us are not. And a user friendly easy to use interface would be helpful for us non-programer types. And no Notepad is not a user friendly interface. 

December 12, 2013 12:33:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,

Quoting Matopicus, reply 23

It's funny that reading your post reminded me of a post i read about Civilization 5 a little while back. I love Civ 5 and will continue to play it (on and off) till 6 comes out. I have over 1100 hours in that game and look forward to more. Fallen Enchantress although doesn't meet _your_ standards meets mine just fine. I think brad did a WONDERFUL job at making the game easy to mod (it's xml files for god sake how much easier do you want it?, you want mod tools, open notepad there you go). I currently have a few hundred hours in FE:LH and a few hundred in FE, this is a game i'll be able to come back to over and over and over again like i do civilization.  

So thanks for all your efforts, hard work and sacrificed family time Brad don't listen to the nit pickers as the majority of your consumers love the game. Remember the content and happy rarely express there gratitude but the unhappy will ALWAYS complain.  So for every complaint you hear there's 10 or more that are happy with what you've done.

I look forward to GalCiv3 and hope you can put the same mentality towards that as you have FE. Keep your head up and your fingers moving

Love CIV 5 as well (I personally it is the best CIV game out of them all main reason is the combat feels more like Tactical combat then the other versions did)

Anyway what the person meant by no mod tools is that just that the tools are not good for non-programmers. Sure if your the programmer type then yes the game is easy to mod but most of us are not. And a user friendly easy to use interface would be helpful for us non-programer types. And no Notepad is not a user friendly interface. 

I can understand that the non-programmer types don't understand code. But have you actually taken a few minutes to look over the xml files? it really is plain english. The time it takes you to learn a point and click program you would have already mastered basic xml. We aren't talking about XSLT or anything else, just the most basic of xml is really used in these files. I completely understand what your saying and respect the opinion, but it's kinda like saying i don't want to learn how to ride the bike i just want to sit on a skateboard and push myself with my hands. It truly is easy if people would just shed the mentality of it being programming so it's hard and i can't do it. I'd be more than happy to help anybody learn xml and i'm sure if you have questions you'll get answers all day long in the mod forum. 

I hope none of that came off negatively i wasn't trying to, just amazes me that people just assume these things are hard because they've never really took the time and tried.

December 12, 2013 3:06:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not negative at all. I have messed with it and yes it is easier to deal with than other non-Mod tool methods but it is still kind of a pain.  I modded AOW:SM a lot using the mod tools in game and it was easier than what we have here (at least it was for me but then I'm more of a visual person.)

I guess my problem with it is that it is not fun to mod like AOW:SM is and  some other games I've modded in the past. And the tools are a big part of that.  Having to scroll down line upon line of 'code' until you find that one or two lines you want to change is just not very fun. 

Oh well maybe someday there will be a little 'helper' program that might make less tedious to work with.  Well I'll just wait for other mods to come out and download them.

December 12, 2013 3:19:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,

Not negative at all. I have messed with it and yes it is easier to deal with than other non-Mod tool methods but it is still kind of a pain.  I modded AOW:SM a lot using the mod tools in game and it was easier than what we have here (at least it was for me but then I'm more of a visual person.)

I guess my problem with it is that it is not fun to mod like AOW:SM is and  some other games I've modded in the past. And the tools are a big part of that.  Having to scroll down line upon line of 'code' until you find that one or two lines you want to change is just not very fun. 

Oh well maybe someday there will be a little 'helper' program that might make less tedious to work with.  Well I'll just wait for other mods to come out and download them.

Some people find syntax highlighting makes it easier, that and a good find function. You can try downloading sublime text ( http://www.sublimetext.com/ ) and see if that makes it easier. There are also a number of xml editor programs out there that are free. i don't really use them since i prefer the raw unaltered file. 

But if that's not your thing then it's not your thing lol

Correction, i don't use xml editors i do use sublime text everyday... well monday thruugh friday anyway I'm a web developer by trade.

December 12, 2013 3:23:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok thanks Matopicus I will try them/

December 17, 2013 8:58:42 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

NOTE:  have to cut and paste link.  I'm not good with all the webby stuff yet.  Thanks for tip Cardinal Direction.

hilarious! Thx!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time: