[1.5] Where did the diplomacy modifiers go?

By on November 29, 2013 8:31:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Borg999

Join Date 02/2006
+54

Usually when I look in the foreign relations screen, there are diplo modifiers listed on the right hand side e.g. "+1 we have caravans together".

As you can see from the screen shot in the dropbox link, that area is empty.

Were they moved to a different screen? Is there some setting I accidentally clicked on/off?

Thanks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87241447/diplo.png

Locked Post 4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 29, 2013 8:35:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've noticed before that the diplomacy modifiers in the Foreign Relations screen are not there when you load a game. They should hopefully appear as soon as you click End Turn though.

If you care enough about diplomacy to be looking at this screen, do you have any views on how diplomacy seems to be working in 1.5? See my other thread, http://forums.elementalgame.com/450469/page/1/#3422704

November 29, 2013 9:05:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting merlinme,

I've noticed before that the diplomacy modifiers in the Foreign Relations screen are not there when you load a game. They should hopefully appear as soon as you click End Turn though.

If you care enough about diplomacy to be looking at this screen, do you have any views on how diplomacy seems to be working in 1.5? See my other thread, http://forums.elementalgame.com/450469/page/1/#3422704[/quote]

I haven't seen the modifiers at any point in the game, so I'm not sure what's going on, whether I click end turn or not, but I'll take a closer look.

I usually don't view the diplo screen, but IMO, the AI has gotten more aggressive, so I wanted to see what was causing that effect. I play an isolationist strategy and offer/accept trade routes whenever I can to keep the AI off my back until the inevitable late game confrontation.

I thought the 1.5 updates would have made them less likely to be war mongers, but it seems to be having the opposite effect.

November 29, 2013 9:26:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's quite a noticeable step change at season 100, where modifiers go from probably positive ("we are still settling") to probably negative ("our ambitions are rising"). In my game the modifiers went from +1 with Magnar to -2, and with Capitar from -2 to -6.

One of the things which changed in 1.5 is that they reduced the positive modifier for being from the same side, i.e. Kingdom or Empire. Prior to 1.5 it was fairly easy to be on good terms with factions on the same side as you, especially before season 100.

Reading the change log for 1.5, the intention was that there would be various modifiers which would help you drift back towards Neutral. I'm not convinced this is working as intended, as it seems to be fairly easy to get -2 modifiers, which will apparently make your relations one level worse every ten turns or so. One slight quirk is that because relations don't seem to change for ten seasons, regardless of modifiers, "first impressions last". In my game relations with Capitar stayed at Warm for ten seasons despite modifiers going negative two turns after meeting them. I assume the same would happen if you started off Cool; even if you made modifiers positive they wouldn't change relations with you for ten turns.

It depends to some extent how you're playing, but if you haven't made contact with AIs before season 100, then you may well find them rather aggressive.

November 29, 2013 11:53:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK, I the modifiers came back after I pressed the turn button. Thanks!

Weird.

They should be available regardless,... but it's good to know the quirks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time: