Stealth broken?

By on November 19, 2013 7:57:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

fargol54

Join Date 08/2010
+1

I've been noticing since the last patch (coincidence?) that monster do indeed attack my units despite having the Stealth ability.

Is it broken?

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 19, 2013 8:11:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just started a game with Tarth yesterday, and I was also getting attacked much more often than seemed likely with Stealth.

November 19, 2013 8:17:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it just rolls probability on whether or not the ai will pursue ya. I've seen it will "sometimes" not attack. It seems like 25%. 

November 19, 2013 8:18:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

November 19, 2013 8:44:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

If I got this right...

Stealth as a player ability is supposed to reduce monster aggression 100%.

Stealth as a unit ability is supposed to be hard coded to do something we don't know (Likely reducing monster aggression by a number between 1 and 100)

Well, the description is "Monsters will not attack the player's units". Sounds like 100% to me, though realistically, you wouldn't really expect 100%.

If it's not 100% they need to change the description.

November 19, 2013 8:45:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,

Just started a game with Tarth yesterday, and I was also getting attacked much more often than seemed likely with Stealth.

Exactly. I wasn't always attacked, but even my sovereign without stealth was not getting attacked all the time.

Methinks it's busted.

November 19, 2013 9:00:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yup, something is wrong, I was targeted and attacked by several different groups of monsters. I stood 2 tiles away from guardians and they targeted me and moved towards me and attacked.

Stealth is not working as intended, oddly enough I didn't get the wandering monsters to target and attack me, only the guardian monsters.

November 20, 2013 8:28:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The people who are getting attacked, are you having non-stealthy units in the group being attacked?

Maybe the whole group has to have the stealthy trait in order for it to work?

If you have a bunch of Aragorns and Legolas's moving through the wilderness and one Willie Sanderson along with them, it would make sense to me that the enemies would be able to detect Willie Sanderson and immediately want to smash him into paste regardless of the fact that he was surrounded by people that are otherwise stealthy.

November 20, 2013 9:22:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The trait stealthy is a player trait (empire wide ALL units get the trait) from Tarth, i.e. Tarth units shouldn't get attacked unless by accident or by the Wildland Creatures.

November 20, 2013 9:28:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raiddinn,

The people who are getting attacked, are you having non-stealthy units in the group being attacked?

No my last game game I lost single 4 single unit armies that were nothing but Scout units with Weak, Explorer and Stealthy.

Maybe the whole group has to have the stealthy trait in order for it to work?

Quoting Raiddinn,

If you have a bunch of Aragorns and Legolas's moving through the wilderness and one Willie Sanderson along with them, it would make sense to me that the enemies would be able to detect Willie Sanderson and immediately want to smash him into paste regardless of the fact that he was surrounded by people that are otherwise stealthy.

Ok, this made me chuckle but to avoid having the thread derailed it probably is not a good pointing fingers at a specific person on the forums. Although, Willie is very negative he does make a few good points in some of his posts. They might need to be rephrased a little bit.

Side Note: Can the weak unit trait be added back into the base game. For balance reasons reducing -1 tactical movement, 8 init penalty, -2 attack should make it unattractive enough to not be exploited. I like having really cheap scouts for exploring the map. Otherwise, I might just play around with the XML. 

November 20, 2013 10:07:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I never was a big fan of penalties, because they are always advantageous to the player.

If the penalties are too harsh and they aren't worth taking, then the player will just skip them and if the AI takes any the player will be better off.

If the most lenient penalty is too lenient then the player will always take it and have an advantage that way instead.

Penalties are power gamer heavens I have never really liked them in any games.  I use them when they are available (because I would be stupid not to) but I feel dirty every time.

We can do scouts OK as it is with no weak trait and it's not exploitable if it's not there.

November 20, 2013 10:53:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Weak is useful considering the player creates all their units. Scouts are strategic level units only. The penalties I thought of only would affect the tactical layer. 

Explorer, Stealth, Staff explorer units are a bit too expensive at moment for a critical part of the game where production queues are extremely tied up. 

November 20, 2013 12:10:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I never find explores to expensive in this game. They are relatively cheep at the moment. 

November 20, 2013 3:25:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,

Weak is useful considering the player creates all their units. Scouts are strategic level units only. The penalties I thought of only would affect the tactical layer. 

Explorer, Stealth, Staff explorer units are a bit too expensive at moment for a critical part of the game where production queues are extremely tied up. 

But if you upgrade their armor to leather and their weapon from staff to spears.

Then they're transformed into decent attack unit. I have spammed scouts and upgraded them when i was a newbie when i was swimming in gold but lacked good production Was a lifesaver having towns crank them out. For that one time. lol

Full AI armies was foiled by scout armies.

November 20, 2013 5:25:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've used Pioneers many times to tank encounters. I've had a few battles where just taking a couple hits off my sov was enough to save the battle.  Too bad a level 2 pioneer does not start a level 2 city

November 27, 2013 9:13:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
IDEA: Perhaps a mod that has level 2 settler create a level one settlement with level 2 defender? etc.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000015   Page Render Time: