[eMod] Patchwork mod - AI boost

By on November 19, 2013 2:52:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

webusver

Join Date 12/2012
+25

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallenenchantress/mods/1891/

This mod improves AI and makes some aspects of the game more comfortable to play.

Last update to v.1.6. April 01 2014

Description

This mod improves AI and makes some aspects of the game more comfortable to play.

Compatibility: v.1.5 and 1-4 DLS's. Compatible with Parrottmath's mods and others which doesn't change units and abilities.

To install the mod, first backup your English folder, then copy the downloaded files into it. If you don't have DLC's, delete appropriate DLC files.

This folder is here: /steam/steamapps/common/FE Legendary Heroes/data/English

Do not put files to: /Documents/My Games/FE Legendary Heroes/Mods

There were lots of features that were not be possible to be done like regular mods, so I decided to put everything into one folder (English). It’s better than have to copy files to both folders (English and Mods)

Features
Fixes
1. Fixed unusable unit designs forgotten in v.1.5. (forgotten shields with one-handed weapons
2. Fixed vanilla Scrap Golem having no weapon.
3. Fixed problems of 1.5 patch with Wilding Hermit and Darkling shaman unable to summon lesser units.
4. Fixed issue resulted in lightning attack of Lightning Longbow was not calculated as ranged attack.
AI improvements
1. AI trains more units;
2. AI equips his units better;
3. AI trains more elite and mounted troops;
4. AI builds more fortresses to produce better troops;
5. AI more often enchants his cities with unit enchanting spells;
6. AI pays more attention to increase production rates in his cities;
7. AI pays more attention to develop combat traits of his heroes;
8. AI politics is more aggressive than in original;
9. AI hunts for monsters and quests more often;
10. Default AI races are more combat oriented;
11. Traits that AI doesn’t use properly are changed or disabled;
12. More units are available to AI to suit in every gameplay condition. Every of 11 races has:
• 1 additional type of pioneers
• 2 additional types of scouts (1 of them is mounted);
• 2 additional types of clubsmen;
• 2 additional types of spearmen;
• 2 additional types of defenders;
• 2 additional types of light warriors;
• 2 additional types of medium warriors (1 of them is mounted);
• 2 additional types of heavy warriors (all mounted versions);
• 2 additional types of medium magic warriors (all mounted versions);
• 2 additional types of heavy magic warriors (all mounted versions);
• 2 additional types of horsemen (all mounted versions);
• 5 additional types of archers (including mounted versions);
• 5 additional types of crossbowmen (including mounted versions);
• 5 additional types of mages (including mounted versions);
• 3-5 (depending on race) additional types of zealots (including mounted versions).
13. Also:
• 9 additional types of henchmen for Altarians;
• 3 additional types of golems for Ironneers;
• 3 additional types of juggernauts for Trogs;
• 1 additional type of each spider for the trait “Cult of hundred eyes”.
Gameplay
1. Good starting locations every new game. No need for Ctrl+N;
2. Monetary economic model. All units require gold to train. All buildings require gold to build.
3. If you train a unit, the number of its soldiers is subtracted from city’s population. (Thanks to Parrottmath!)
4. Intensive combat. (Units gain more dodge, critical chances and some happy/unhappy battle events);
5. More types of weapons and armors for unit design;
6. Added traits to unit design: alchemist, guard and road building for every race;
7. More chances to find armor and weapons in loot;
8. Lower prices in shops. No need to rely on loot equipment for heroes;
9. Added 24 premium heroes of 15 level;
10. Added 18 Undead heroes;
11. Garrison units reduce unrest and gain 1 experience per turn;
12. Every trained unit requires gold and population to be trained;
13. Every building requires gold to be built.
14. Each weapon has its special strike.
15. Each race has its unique set of weapons.
16. Added unique city defenders. Some mages defend conclaves, some knights defend fortresses, some crossbowmen defend towns. Common defenders such as city militia and city archers remain too.
17. Added medium fire and ice staffs. Earlier mages had to wait too long to get good staffs, so these medium staffs were added.
18. Rebalanced quendar slaves to act more like cannon fodder rather than unlucky losers.
19. At the start of the game all items that are available for training units are also available in the shop.
20. Unrest doesn't increase with the number of cities. It increases while the city grows in levels. This is vital for gameplay on huge maps.
21. Heroes don't divide experience.
22. Enchanter specialty gives a full set of 3 lightning staffs with increasing lightning attack and they replace fire staffs. AI prefers to use lightning staffs over fire staffs if he has opportunity.
23. Hero traits that are of low or even negative use for AI are changed or disabled.
24. Thrown weapons now deal amount of damage equal to the number of soldiers in the group (Thanks to Parrottmath!)
25. Staff class of weapons is expanded. Earlier there were just a staff and monk's staff with no possibility to upgrade. Now this possibility exists up to Arcane weapons.
26. Added new class of troops - zealots. They fight with melee staffs.
27. Added new racial trait "Monk Robes" (costs 0 to choose like Masterwork Chain) which replaces Leather armor with a set of robes. If you wish your light troops look like mages, or you prefer Dodge over Defence, this option is for you.
28. Added hardened leather cuirass, light chainmail and some trait-specific weapons available to unit design. Now you have richer choice while designing your units. Perfect crossbow is rebalanced and added to Arcane weapons and thus available for unit design.
29. I tried to make AI enchant his cities with more unit spells, such as Heart of Fire, Aura of Might. I set better priorities for these spells but still the best priority is with Enchanted Hammers spell. Then goes Heart of fire, Inspiration and the rest combat and city spells.
30. 3 level city adds 1 essense. I hope this helps AI to enchant his cities with more unit spells.
31. Units have 5 perk slots instead of 4.
32. Quest for Arctic wolf cloak is replaced for IceWarg Cloak quest. Player has to fight wargs instead of wolfs, and gains IceWarg Cloak. In this world Arctic wolf cloaks are available in shops from the beginning of the game, so there was somehow rather useless to fight wolves in order to get an item of low interest.
33. Added new racial trait “Guile”, which gives additional perk slot for training units.
34. Added new racial trait “Manufacturer”, which gives additional production per material.
35. “Wholesale Purchase” spell is added. In case player has excessive gold and doesn't need it, then for 1200 gildars it's possible buy 120 metals, 60 crystals, 10 horses and 10 wargs. Usage of this operation increases Fame by +10. This spell is unlocked by Economics technology.
36. New tech City Enchantment was added. It unlocks Scrying pool, Guardian Statue and spells: Heart of Fire, Aura of Might, Aura of Grace, Aura of Vitality. Unlocking these spells allows to cast these spells early, not depending on types of recruited heroes and chosen magic schools. This thech was made especially for AI.
37. New tech was added Advanced Warfare. It gives some bonuses that earlier belonged to War Colleges tech. At the same time War Colleges give some expensive books to upgrade heroes. This was done also in case if a player has excessive gold. There will never be too much gold, be sure.
38. Updated economic model. Now player has to pay for every equipment and even traits of his trained units. Skilled and highly armed and armored troops should be more expensive. Tested how AI survives in new circumstances. AI is just brilliant!!!
39. Added an option to choose Rusty Armor to replace common chainmail. By default Undead race wears rusty armor. This armor is available to unit design like Light Plate armor and has the same parameters, but looks great on undead.
40. Added Gladiator armor to unit design. Player can choose it to replace Raider's chainmail. By default Tarthians have gladiator's armor. It's even written in its description, that Tarths wear gladiator's armor with pride.
41. If you have DLC 02 installed, then while choosing Assasins tools you gain another design of leather armor. It looks like assasin's armor but has paramenters of common leather armor. So, welcome Urxens-ninjas.
42. Catapults are much stronger now. Deadly machines.
43. AI has higher value for the following priorities: upgrade heroes to Commander path and teach Leadership and Tactics, build more fortresses and enchant cities with spells that give combat bonuses to units. AI builds less conclaves and rarely builds towns.
44. Summoned Skath and Spider mounts for trained troops.

Company of Legendary Heroes:

Locked Post 381 Replies +5 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Snow02
KamratMjau
Hellions
aerowreck
Apheirox
December 30, 2013 12:32:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh another thing:

Having the Ashwake Dragon as a mount sounds and looks(!) cool, but it is a really terribly unbalanced thing to have early on. I am by no far sight a good player and only due to its devastating attack (the fire breath) could I hold my ground against 1 warring AI on Normal.

I also noticed you gave the sovereign creator all other items a cost of 0 while the dragon has a cost of 5. I think the dragon is fine because it prohibits anything else. but that should mean I shouldn't be able to get myself the nice balanced shortbow on top of it, and taking a negative thing to also have a magic point.

Maybe put the crude shortbow stuff and the other "bad" start items back in and give the new ones you added the cost of 1 (or back if you removed it). So I have an actual choice to make.

Right, you modded the cost of the magics down from 2-3 to 1-2. I don't think that's a good thing to do. I could possibly pick all 5 magic paths. That seems pretty strong (didn't try it though, so what do I know?)

Also my game crashed when I tried to have 41 (custom) opponents on a huge map. But that may well be not your fault, since that isn't intended by any means.  

December 30, 2013 12:34:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting webusver,

There should be less unrest. Are you using other mods? In my mod there is no unrest increase per city.

Yes, I checked this:

<!-- ** unrest penalty per city in a empire ** -->
      <CityCountUnrestPenalty>0</CityCountUnrestPenalty>

Garrison units reduce unrest. Make cheap units with Guard ability - this will reduce unrest even more.

Hm. I just noticed I always had about 40% unrest. Which is particularly because my city had +25% unrest from being a level 3 Fortress and I didn't build the bell tower.

And nope, no other mods installed. Except the DLCs.

Oh also the Guard ability. It just gives -1% unrest. I don't think that is enough. That would only grant a max. of 9% unrest reduction. Maybe make it 2% or 3%? I saw that ability but didn't bother with it.

December 30, 2013 12:42:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting N1ghthavvk,

Oh another thing:

Having the Ashwake Dragon as a mount sounds and looks(!) cool, but it is a really terribly unbalanced thing to have early on. I am by no far sight a good player and only due to its devastating attack (the fire breath) could I hold my ground against 1 warring AI on Normal.

I also noticed you gave the sovereign creator all other items a cost of 0 while the dragon has a cost of 5. I think the dragon is fine because it prohibits anything else. but that should mean I shouldn't be able to get myself the nice balanced shortbow on top of it, and taking a negative thing to also have a magic point.

Maybe put the crude shortbow stuff and the other "bad" start items back in and give the new ones you added the cost of 1 (or back if you removed it). So I have an actual choice to make.

Right, you modded the cost of the magics down from 2-3 to 1-2. I don't think that's a good thing to do. I could possibly pick all 5 magic paths. That seems pretty strong (didn't try it though, so what do I know?)

Also my game crashed when I tried to have 41 (custom) opponents on a huge map. But that may well be not your fault, since that isn't intended by any means.  

If player chooses the dragon he gain no armor or hitpoints, only Attack which could be gained otherwise. But I'll check this point.

Yes 5 magics is possible to take but not possible to develop, so there is no real strength in having all magics. You hire heroes who will bring magics anyway.

About crude staff - it is not much weaker than the new ones, just about 2Attack, but they are unique and feel more deserving for a soveregn. Just imagine, why a soveregn should be armed the the worst possible weapon, even worser that his units?

Thank you for comment. I'll think, about the dragon, especially.

December 30, 2013 12:47:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting N1ghthavvk,
Hm. I just noticed I always had about 40% unrest. Which is particularly because my city had +25% unrest from being a level 3 Fortress and I didn't build the bell tower.

And nope, no other mods installed. Except the DLCs.

Oh also the Guard ability. It just gives -1% unrest. I don't think that is enough. That would only grant a max. of 9% unrest reduction. Maybe make it 2% or 3%? I saw that ability but didn't bother with it.

Yes unrest increases when city gains new levels. The lower level - the less unrest. So, high level cities need unrest reducing buildings.

About guards - any unit in garrison reduses unrest by 2. Then 1 is added from trait. So 9x3=27. Then add city defenders, they also reduce unrest. Good governors should also not be forgotten. Their bonuses are global, no need for a hero to sit in a city.

December 30, 2013 1:17:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting webusver,

Yes unrest increases when city gains new levels. The lower level - the less unrest. So, high level cities need unrest reducing buildings.

About guards - any unit in garrison reduses unrest by 2. Then 1 is added from trait. So 9x3=27. Then add city defenders, they also reduce unrest. Good governors should also not be forgotten. Their bonuses are global, no need for a hero to sit in a city.

Oh I didn't know that.

Cool!

Also thanks for your explanation concerning the starting equipment.

December 31, 2013 1:23:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hello!

Just wanted to drop a few lines after playing with your modifications for some hours. I like it, in general, these remarks are just for your considerations of future improvements.

About stability and performance, I got no problems. I am playing a huge random map with 14 opponents, of which 3 are my custom sovereigns I crated a long ago and are just hanging in the roster for fun. AI and world are on normal difficulty, since I haven't played for months before this. They are all Beast Lords - one kingdom and 2 empire side. I've played about 100 turns now with a newly created custom kingdom faction and sovereign - again a Beast Lord. BTW, your mods made me not to care about taming bug, as the tamed critters are no longer essential, just fun.

And now some remarks how things have been:

1. Two my old school custom sovereigns have been annihilated by now. And the Dead too. Other AI did most of the dirty work, I just declared war on them when they were already weak and  made them surrender so I got them all as vassals. I personally destroyed a custom created empire sovereign by annexing 1 of it's 2 cities. It was a very tough fight, only my sovereign made it while all 6 of his armies were killed. After that i beat the roaming stragglers and then made it surrender.

2. I am still in war with 2 of the weakest empire kingdoms, them being Ceresa and my other custom created sovereign. I was with war with mediocre Umber too for a while, they smacked my vassal Morrigan a couple of times before offering peace.

3. Capitar, Magnar and Yithril are strong, in that order. They are all above me on the scoreboard, which is refreshing. Every remaining AI outclasses me in technology, resources and prolly in number of units. I bribed Capitar and Magnar to fight each other to ensure them leaving me alone, but Yithril keeps threatening me. So far no enemy unit has attacked any of my 7 cities, the weak factions I have war with I have managed to keep at bay and intercept their armies. Capitar, Magnar and Yithril have more cities than me. All of them have expansionist behavior, which seems to live to it's idea. Other remaining AI's have 2-7 cities each.

4. Umber is rather weak still, but for my enjoyment, they are in war with Magnar and have even conquered a couple of cities from them - Magnar being way more powerful. This is great! Magnar has the most cities, I believe the count is about 11 now.

5. When I met Capitar about turn 40 or 50, they already were vastly more powerful than me. They had double the points, 9 cities, most of the available technology I guess and so far the only really dismaying thing in this mod I have encountered - they already had a premium level 15 here with dragon mount that is way too powerful, even as cool as it is. On turn 100, I only have 200 fame and I'm still far away from heroes of that class. My own sovereign is level 14 now. Why do they have so much fame?

6. I am beginning to think the AI gets too much resource advantage in the start. Or does it need to be so to make them competitive?

7. Using gold to build city improvements works fine, in general. The gold balance seems ok. Building any structures feels to take ages - maybe AI gets the advantage with this as they may rush everything? Most of their core cities are well developed when I get to see them.

8. Mana is scarce, I have never enough to do everything I want, be it enchanting cities or heroes, summoning or using mana in combat. This, too, is great!

9. When trading with any of the AI, their technological superiority is obvious. Take Capitar now at turn 100, for example: I have researched about 40% of the available technologies, and they got about 600 units of research in their trading pool. And they got 10 times more the resources I have. So they are not really interested in trading.

10. Archer troops are dangerous and potentially very powerful. On the other hand, every unit has "da moves with dem oil hips", so dodging an attack is quite common. Random bashes, backswings and mauls from melee units are a nice addition. In the early game my sovereign got beaten to the ground by a mauling Mite Mob, lol! All in all combat is exciting, more unpredictable and quite fun.

That's what I recall now, use this info with your future balancing if you want. Thanks for the mod anyway, you made better adjustments to the game than Stardock in more than 2 years!

January 1, 2014 11:24:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting webusver,

Quoting smeagolheart, reply 7
5. Hero classes rebalanced and all of them highly valuable.

How is this accomplished?  What leads to your opinion that they are all now highly valuable.

Mage has additional traits that give more mana per turn, increase his spell power and spell damage.

Assasin is good as it was. I just made some trait branches closer a bit earlier to gain. Assasin lost Rain of arrows, which is now bow's special attack.

Defender now specialises on defending army units from beginning. These traits are made easier and earlier to gain.

Commander specialises on buffing army units and now also buffs attack to his army. Added some more damage dealing traits.

Warrior. Traits that require specific weapons are united to help AI with having wrong weapon.

All heroes from 3 level are better equipped and have better traits and more traits. 1-level hero has 3 traits, 3-level - 5, 5-level - 7, 7-level - 9, 9-level - 12 (I gave them bonus trait).

There are also premium heroes of 15 level.

Shop costs are halved, so its easier to equip heroes with common equipment. Different loot gives more armor pieces, than use-items and weapons.

Quoting tjashen, reply 8
This Mod has been added to the Regularly Updated List of Mods for E:LH.

Thank you!

Are the hero class rebalances still in effect in the latest version of the Patchwork Mod? Hope so, they sound great.  Plan on making this the first mod I use in playing FE:LH....thanks for creating it!

January 1, 2014 7:54:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Few things that don't really work well for me in this mod - I'd consider first two points to be most annoying by far. Not sure about number 3 - is it a feature? Seems pretty weird, but maybe...

1. Infinite maul loop. With some weapons providing both bash and maul, it's possible to get your uber unit killed by a random trash, chiping away 1 damage for ages. While it doesn't happen very often, it's pretty annoying. Sure it can work in your favor, too, but still... I removed it for myself and never really missed it.

2. Refined Training... ouch. If you get behind on research and AI invest heavily in this, combat becomes highly annoying, with enemy troops and heroes that are basically unhittable and never miss. It felt to me that it broke the idea behind this mod and forced me to rely on magic far too heavily in later parts. Extremely annoying. Sure, in theory, it can be countered by your own research, but I have yet to win the tech race on higher difficulties. I think I'll just remove the "infinite" part to keep myself sane.

3. Is workshop supposed to be so expensive? It costs 100 + 10 gold, which is WAY more than any other building at that stage of the game... Hell, it's barely cheaper than faction/world unique buildings and the benefit it offers is NOWHERE near worth that price early on, especially since further building from that line seem to have normal prices (20/45/110).

4. Summons seem pretty weak overall. This might be because both heroes and troops have been improved by *a lot*, while these remained largely unchanged. Upper part of mage trait line has some really nice bonuses now, but summons are the same as they always were. It's also connected to point #8

5. Fame could use some rework... especially those huge one time bonuses, like the one from Warrior trait line. AI seems to get that insanely overpowered dragonrider hero quite early - I assume it's thanks to this. Then again, that's probably the issue with 100+ fire breath which can annihilate entire army instantly.

6. Counterattack damage seems pretty low. Even early game units can hit for 30+ with lucky strikes, but only get countered for 5 at most. Doesn't matter if it's your average trash monster, or high end uber hero who can casually crit for 100+. Counter doesn't do anything. (then again, I haven't played the unmodded game for ages, so maybe it's normal)

7. Seems to me that crystals/metal are extremely rare resources, while AI has zero issues building troops using those. I know this was tweaked on purpose, but right now it's a struggle to build some resource heavy units.

8. Monster difficulty seems pretty low, even when playing at +4/double monster levels. Starting militia + spearman combo can kill a ton of enemies without any issues - add a commander and/or defender and it's a breeze until some really high end monsters. You gain levels insanely fast, so those basic troops become really strong -helps that they are decently designed already. Now, sure, mobs should be weaker than AI troops, but not to this extent.

Despite all that, it's still pretty amazing piece of work.

January 1, 2014 9:18:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ailawiu,
1. Infinite maul loop. With some weapons providing both bash and maul, it's possible to get your uber unit killed by a random trash, chiping away 1 damage for ages. While it doesn't happen very often, it's pretty annoying. Sure it can work in your favor, too, but still... I removed it for myself and never really missed it.

You could always check out this balance to prevent the infinite maul syndrome. I've had it up for quite sometime.

[v1.1] MAUL DEBUFF CHANGE:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75549875/Fallen%20Enchantress/LH%20Mods/MaulChange/MaulChangev1_1.zip

It reduces the attack each time. It even prevents the prone infinite maul loop.

January 1, 2014 9:53:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I'm using it, works fine. It's just more visible with this mod, since bash and maul are pretty common abilities.

January 2, 2014 11:53:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First of all I must say great Thank you! Your comments give me food to consider. Also I found (and you also mentioned this, as I see) that the wrong cost for Workshop was set. I forgot to delete draft variant and it added to default values.

So, if you use v.1.0. you should upgrade to v.1.01, which is already uploaded.

www.nexusmods.com/fallenenchantress/mods/1891/

Thank you for bug hunting!

Quoting ailawiu,

This is a very rare situation. And it is not the fault of the mod. This thing may also happen inoriginal game. And Parrottmath already offered solution. I also use his mod and sugget others to use it.

Quoting ailawiu,
2. Refined Training... ouch. If you get behind on research and AI invest heavily in this, combat becomes highly annoying, with enemy troops and heroes that are basically unhittable and never miss. It felt to me that it broke the idea behind this mod and forced me to rely on magic far too heavily in later parts. Extremely annoying. Sure, in theory, it can be countered by your own research, but I have yet to win the tech race on higher difficulties. I think I'll just remove the "infinite" part to keep myself sane.

You should be far behind AI. But yes - this may give benefits to human player. So with the new update this problem is solved.

Quoting ailawiu,
3. Is workshop supposed to be so expensive? It costs 100 + 10 gold, which is WAY more than any other building at that stage of the game... Hell, it's barely cheaper than faction/world unique buildings and the benefit it offers is NOWHERE near worth that price early on, especially since further building from that line seem to have normal prices (20/45/110).

Yes, this bug is found and removed from v.1.01. I added costs to buildings a few days ago and didn't have a chance to test everything.

Quoting ailawiu,
4. Summons seem pretty weak overall. This might be because both heroes and troops have been improved by *a lot*, while these remained largely unchanged. Upper part of mage trait line has some really nice bonuses now, but summons are the same as they always were. It's also connected to point #8

5. Fame could use some rework... especially those huge one time bonuses, like the one from Warrior trait line. AI seems to get that insanely overpowered dragonrider hero quite early - I assume it's thanks to this. Then again, that's probably the issue with 100+ fire breath which can annihilate entire army instantly.

6. Counterattack damage seems pretty low. Even early game units can hit for 30+ with lucky strikes, but only get countered for 5 at most. Doesn't matter if it's your average trash monster, or high end uber hero who can casually crit for 100+. Counter doesn't do anything. (then again, I haven't played the unmodded game for ages, so maybe it's normal)

7. Seems to me that crystals/metal are extremely rare resources, while AI has zero issues building troops using those. I know this was tweaked on purpose, but right now it's a struggle to build some resource heavy units.

8. Monster difficulty seems pretty low, even when playing at +4/double monster levels. Starting militia + spearman combo can kill a ton of enemies without any issues - add a commander and/or defender and it's a breeze until some really high end monsters. You gain levels insanely fast, so those basic troops become really strong -helps that they are decently designed already. Now, sure, mobs should be weaker than AI troops, but not to this extent.

Thank you for this comment. I will think about this.

Quoting Graybeard613,
Are the hero class rebalances still in effect in the latest version of the Patchwork Mod? Hope so, they sound great. Plan on making this the first mod I use in playing FE:LH....thanks for creating it!

Yes!

Quoting aerowreck,
1. Two my old school custom sovereigns have been annihilated by now.

I suggest to make new custom kingdoms and sovereigns, because old ones will be weaker eventually. Racial "Bloods" give bonuses that increase when unit gains levels.

Quoting aerowreck,
6. I am beginning to think the AI gets too much resource advantage in the start. Or does it need to be so to make them competitive?

Do you use v.1.0 from Nexusmods? Human player typically trains one Victorious army and AI trains lots of cannon fodder. This cannon fodder needs lots of resources so that the game should remain challinging when AI loses one battle after another.

Quoting aerowreck,
3. Capitar, Magnar and Yithril are strong, in that order.

Perhaps they were just Lucky. All AIs are much the same.

Quoting aerowreck,
7. Using gold to build city improvements works fine, in general. The gold balance seems ok. Building any structures feels to take ages - maybe AI gets the advantage with this as they may rush everything? Most of their core cities are well developed when I get to see them.

8. Mana is scarce, I have never enough to do everything I want, be it enchanting cities or heroes, summoning or using mana in combat. This, too, is great!

Thank you for this remark. It was planned so and its good that it works.

Quoting aerowreck,
9. When trading with any of the AI, their technological superiority is obvious. Take Capitar now at turn 100, for example: I have researched about 40% of the available technologies, and they got about 600 units of research in their trading pool. And they got 10 times more the resources I have. So they are not really interested in trading.

AIs should not be superior in techs. I gave them no research bonuses. But yes I wanted to make AIs to build massas of units of challenging quality.

January 2, 2014 1:04:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, after some digging of my own - it seems that counter damage is set to 10%. I assume this was done on purpose (default seems to be 50%?), as it does slow down the combat quite a bit. Still, this makes it laughably weak and negates both the main advantage from "cannot be countered" skills/weapons and counterattack abilities themselves.

Edit: Also, as for mana comment above - I had huge issues for in the beginning, barely able to stay afloat - between enchants, blessings, combat spells. However, it took me a while to realize the strength of that mana generating unit trait. Combine it with unrest reduction and you get extremely cheap "police" unit, who can fuel your magic for quite a while. They even pay for themselves - station a few of those in cities and you can crank up the taxes even higher. There is a cap, of course - after all, it's only 3% reduction, but it helps quite a bit.

January 2, 2014 1:58:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good Morning

A request if I may: #16 on your list looks very intriguing.

16. Added unique city defenders. Some mages defend conclaves, some knights defend fortresses, some crossbowmen defend towns. Common defenders such as city militia and city archers remain too.

I was wondering if it were possible to extract those portions out and create an independant mod with them?

If it's too much work, OR if you do not want to deal with the hassle, if I could gleen ... the details myself for public use? (credit to you of course )

January 2, 2014 4:07:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Another thing - do units/champions actually gain accuracy with levels? It's supposed to be 0.5-0.75 dodge and 1 acc per level, but the latter seem to be missing, both from champions and from normal units. It's a pretty funny thing, I haven't noticed it and it didn't bother me much in previous games... I had 5-20% less accuracy than I should and it still played fairly well... However, I did utilize Commanders pretty heavily, so that's a bonus of 12%. Between this, training facilities and unit traits, dodge could be nearly negated, with the exception of heavy magical buffs. Also, I played Mancers a lot and their vanilla accuracy bonus was working fine, so ... yeah.

It might not be such a big thing in the long run, but there is some discrepancy in combat results that way.

E: Wait, spell resistance/mastery bonus also isn't there. So either the description is outdated, or you missed it.

January 3, 2014 2:59:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ailawiu,
Well, after some digging of my own - it seems that counter damage is set to 10%. I assume this was done on purpose (default seems to be 50%?), as it does slow down the combat quite a bit. Still, this makes it laughably weak and negates both the main advantage from "cannot be countered" skills/weapons and counterattack abilities themselves.

You are right! I replaced values. And uploaded the new file to nexusmods.

Quoting ailawiu,
Edit: Also, as for mana comment above - I had huge issues for in the beginning, barely able to stay afloat - between enchants, blessings, combat spells. However, it took me a while to realize the strength of that mana generating unit trait. Combine it with unrest reduction and you get extremely cheap "police" unit, who can fuel your magic for quite a while. They even pay for themselves - station a few of those in cities and you can crank up the taxes even higher. There is a cap, of course - after all, it's only 3% reduction, but it helps quite a bit.

If you want mana, choose path of the mage - mages generate mana themselves. There is also Alchrmist trait for unit design. Also I changed starting mana back to 40 as it was earlier. The new file is uploaded.

Quoting ailawiu,
Another thing - do units/champions actually gain accuracy with levels? It's supposed to be 0.5-0.75 dodge and 1 acc per level, but the latter seem to be missing, both from champions and from normal units. It's a pretty funny thing, I haven't noticed it and it didn't bother me much in previous games... I had 5-20% less accuracy than I should and it still played fairly well... However, I did utilize Commanders pretty heavily, so that's a bonus of 12%. Between this, training facilities and unit traits, dodge could be nearly negated, with the exception of heavy magical buffs. Also, I played Mancers a lot and their vanilla accuracy bonus was working fine, so ... yeah.

All units gain accuracy and this is hardcoded. Dodge didn't increase, so this was modded.

Quoting ailawiu,
E: Wait, spell resistance/mastery bonus also isn't there. So either the description is outdated, or you missed it.

This is also corrected in v.1.02. Description was outdated.

Quoting GFireflyE,
I was wondering if it were possible to extract those portions out and create an independant mod with them?

If it's too much work, OR if you do not want to deal with the hassle, if I could gleen ... the details myself for public use? (credit to you of course )

I'll post about this soon.

January 3, 2014 8:23:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Good Morning

A request if I may: #16 on your list looks very intriguing.

If it's too much work, OR if you do not want to deal with the hassle, if I could gleen ... the details myself for public use? (credit to you of course )

Here is the mod for pure v.1.5. (It's not compatible with complete Patchwork mod). Could you please test it and give feedback?

www.nexusmods.com/fallenenchantress/mods/1892/

You may also try just parts of Patchwork mod. All these files may be used separately and are compatible with any mod. For example:

CoreShards and CoreWorldResources - gives comfort starting locations
CoreDifficultyLevels - gives better Intelligence (more time to analyse strategic situation)
Treaties - prevents from signing treaties while player who is not in good terms with AI
CoreAIDefs - this shifts AI priorities to construction and war
AIMilitaryStrategyTypes - this shifts AI to train more mounted units
CoreUnitStats - this makes combat more intensive (units have more dodge, critical chances, counterattacks, backswings, mauls)

January 3, 2014 11:45:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting webusver,

Here is the mod for pure v.1.5. (It's not compatible with complete Patchwork mod). Could you please test it and give feedback?

www.nexusmods.com/fallenenchantress/mods/1892/

Sweeeet. Thanks webusver!

A few further questions now that I'm looking at the code specific to the unique city defenders:

- This appears to be compatible with Parrotmath's ArmoredMilitia Mod. His mod adds better armor and weapons to the City Militia and Archers progressively throughout the game as you better your tech trees. Can you confirm this?

- How's this impact the balance of the game? It appears that this mod adds unique defenders in addition to the existing militia and archers. Does this not make taking over a city exceedingly difficult?

- Also, it appears that you gain an additional unit for each level of the city. Cities basically are getting a full army to play with...

Never the less, it's still very intriguing. Will be testing it today.

January 3, 2014 4:49:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Update for the Unique Unit's Mod (maybe a new thread should be made??):

As I am beginning to suspect, the addition of these unique units makes city defense very strong.

- When a city reaches lvl 2, it usually receives +1 City Militia and +1 City Archer. Is it possible to remove one of the +1 City Militia from the level up without needing to modify the core files?

- When I am in the City Details screen, I am not receiving any information on the city defenders when I hover my cursor over the icons....nor can I select the icons to bring up unit details. Is this normal?

- I just got my first look at the City Mage from a level 2 Conclave. It appears to be a very strong unit....much stronger than the City Militia and City Archer. Equipped with Soldier's Boots, Soldier's Gloves, Braided Belt, Amulet of Haste, Belt of Precognition, Ice Staff, Leather Cuirass, Leather Greaves, Leather Helm, and Artic Wolf Cloak.....not to mention his attributes of Discipline, Balance, Precision, and Fast ... wow....this unit is a tank. (I listed all the equipment in case some of it is coming from Parrotmath's mod. Let me know if it is.) It seems like half of the abilities and equipment could be stripped off and it would still be a decent defender. (Haven't seen the Knight or Crossbowman yet....but I presume they are similarly decked out?)

- Perhaps, (if I understand your mod correctly) instead of adding a unit each level up of the city, keep the bonus unit to 1 and simply increase it's equipment and attributes each level up instead. or a mix...

An example:

• Level 1 - Starts with 2 City Militia
  • Level 2 - receive +1 City Archer as well as +1 Unique Unit. The UU has 1 attribute and 3 pieces of equipment.
  • Level 3 - The UU improves gaining an additional 1 attribute and 1 piece of equipment.
  • Level 4 - receive +1 unique unit with the stats of level 3 UU's.
  • Level 5 - The 2 UUs improve, gaining third 1 attribute and finish his build of with 2 pieces of equipment.

Obviously up to you how you want your mod.....but imo AI and monsters need to stand some chance to conquer one of your cities...

Keep in mind the other ways of adding city defenders as well....the statue....catapults (with my mod)...and the regular troops.

I'll continue playing and see what other stuff comes up....let me know if my thoughts are diverging from your intensions though....not much sense in me putting too much time into game balancing suggestions if that is not your intent.

- Getting my first look at the City Crossbowman now...as I suspected...decked out similar to that of the City Mage. The unit seems to be making animations like that of a clubber....so it looks a little weird when it fires it's crossbow. Is there a better animation?

- And finally now getting my first look at the City Knight. In line with the other two from what I'm viewing. Really tough unit.

Final thoughts: I think as the cities level up, they are going to become even harder for someone to overtake. Having 3 of any of these unique units is going to stem off almost any assault. The essential need to train you own troops is greatly reduced by the existence of these units. I understand, you originally meant for these city defender units to be part of a much larger package, including all sorts of very strong units to be trained...,and that most likely balances out much of the thoughts I've had....as I've not played with the rest of your mod.

January 4, 2014 12:06:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,
As I am beginning to suspect, the addition of these unique units makes city defense very strong.

Yes, you are right. I uploaded the updated version of the City Defenders mod.

Quoting GFireflyE,
- Getting my first look at the City Crossbowman now...as I suspected...decked out similar to that of the City Mage. The unit seems to be making animations like that of a clubber....so it looks a little weird when it fires it's crossbow. Is there a better animation?

It uses standart animation pack. And it was not copied from mages but from arhers. There is no "archer" animation style for Powershot, it really looks like melee strike. This is the default setting of the game.

January 4, 2014 4:54:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Out of curiosity, what did you do to make the Dead actually work under the AI?

January 4, 2014 2:52:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting webusver,

Quoting GFireflyE, reply 68As I am beginning to suspect, the addition of these unique units makes city defense very strong.

Yes, you are right. I uploaded the updated version of the City Defenders mod.

Gotta ask: What did you do? 1.01 looks very different in execution to 1.00.

The biggest change it seems is that you now use the CoreImprovements.xml ....a core file. Is this suppose to be overwritten?

January 4, 2014 10:27:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting aerowreck, reply 569. When trading with any of the AI, their technological superiority is obvious. Take Capitar now at turn 100, for example: I have researched about 40% of the available technologies, and they got about 600 units of research in their trading pool. And they got 10 times more the resources I have. So they are not really interested in trading.

AIs should not be superior in techs. I gave them no research bonuses.
 [/quote]

I have to disagree on that. I always play on huge random maps and experienced that every AI i encounter is far in front of me, no matter how much effort i put in research, aggressively founding cities wherever i find the smallest place available and using the research spell on every city.

Just to give you an example. I just started a new game as Pariden on a random huge map with every original souverain in, and teaming up with Tarth just to see how the AI acts. I put every AI on beginners difficulty just to make sure that i dont lose just for my own incompetence.

Well, after 27 Turns, i have 3 cities, with the Inspiration Spell on each one of them, still i have only 4 technology knowledge points in civilization, my ally has 7 in civ and 7 in warfare, which is quite surprising, since Tarth just founded its first city and has still to complete its first building in it.

And i dont understand either why Tarth has wargs and horses without any resource beeing available near its only city.

So, enough grumbling, the mod is awesome overall. I cannot thank you enough for creating it. It brings so much to the game that its amazing.

Good night!

January 4, 2014 10:39:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I quite like improved city defenders - unlike common militia, they can't be easily overpowered with a low level champion/sovereign. The ranged ones are a legitimate threat and can snipe you quite quickly if you're unprepared. Besides, it's only in the beginning that they're superior to ordinary troops. Given some time, AI will have armies that are just as strong or better.

Admitedly, I wouldn't mind having nerfed militia for the player, while still keeping the stronger one for the AI. It seems that they overestimate their chances while siegeing - and that uber unit can sometimes save the day. When ordinary units are struggling to keep up with superior AI troops, that crossbowman/siege can easily punch through their armor and get the kills. It's a nice thing, but perhaps a little too good indeed.

As for the other things - just how big research bonus is AI getting? It seems that even lowest ranking AIs have better weapons and armor than I do. I downgraded to "challenging" and they're still out-teching me by a lot, even if they barely hold on to a city or two. Part of it comes from their huge resource reserves - I had couple games where I couldn't afford better gear because no good resources spawned anywhere nearby. I still think this is a little overboard, considering that AI has chain+ as soon as they research them.

Also, I'm not sure if it's connected to this particular mod, but sometimes I get no heroes despite reaching a fame milestone. Don't know if it has anything to do with those huge one time bonuses somehow screwing things up, but it can be quite annoying.

January 5, 2014 12:23:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rotlung,

Out of curiosity, what did you do to make the Dead actually work under the AI?

All races have +1growth. Undead also have this bonus. Also Undead have growth bonuses +2, +3, +4 from their racial buildings that add graves. Graves are source of growth for Undead now.

Quoting GFireflyE,
The biggest change it seems is that you now use the CoreImprovements.xml ....a core file. Is this suppose to be overwritten?

Yes, it should be overwritten, because this mod not ony adds new units, but also removes some old ones.

Quoting rolzuc,
Well, after 27 Turns, i have 3 cities, with the Inspiration Spell on each one of them, still i have only 4 technology knowledge points in civilization, my ally has 7 in civ and 7 in warfare, which is quite surprising, since Tarth just founded its first city and has still to complete its first building in it.

I gave NO research bonuses to AI and even reduced priority of building studies in comparison with original. Perhaps Tarth has researched more cheap knowledges?

Quoting rolzuc,
And i dont understand either why Tarth has wargs and horses without any resource beeing available near its only city.

Tremble humble human! You even don't perceive basics of AI economy!

Quoting rolzuc,
I always play on huge random maps and experienced that every AI i encounter is far in front of me, no matter how much effort i put in research, aggressively founding cities wherever i find the smallest place available and using the research spell on every city.

Perhaps you don't train troops. AI trains more and more troops and this matters highly for overall rating. You need many troops to compete.

Quoting ailawiu,
As for the other things - just how big research bonus is AI getting?

No AI gets no research bonuses. It just gets some resource bonuses, but not research. May be you have big unrest in your cities and this lowers your research? AI pays more attention to reduce unrest and increase production. AI also trains more troops, this seriouslyincreases his overall rating.

Quoting ailawiu,
Also, I'm not sure if it's connected to this particular mod, but sometimes I get no heroes despite reaching a fame milestone. Don't know if it has anything to do with those huge one time bonuses somehow screwing things up, but it can be quite annoying.

There are only 50 default heroes for each alignment. This means that thare are ~10 for 1 level, ~10 for 3 level and so on. If you are playing with more that 10 players of the same alignment then you have problems. Also if you are near the fame milestone and get a significant fame bonus, e.g. 100 or more, then you may skip to the next milestone and receive only next hero. Also, in my mod milestones require a little bit less fame.

Quoting ailawiu,
Admitedly, I wouldn't mind having nerfed militia for the player, while still keeping the stronger one for the AI. It seems that they overestimate their chances while siegeing - and that uber unit can sometimes save the day. When ordinary units are struggling to keep up with superior AI troops, that crossbowman/siege can easily punch through their armor and get the kills. It's a nice thing, but perhaps a little too good indeed.

I didn't find yet how to add defenders to AI and take them away from player. Yet I think this is impossible.

January 5, 2014 4:33:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now that I've installed this I have two things to say:

1) This mod is fantastic

2) This mod is broken

... yes, that's unfortunately the case. I play Expert difficulty and meet Magnar on turn 75. He finishes the third tower for the Forge of the Overlord a few turns later and will presumably start constructing the Forge soon. His score is over 900, 10x as high as mine.

Sorry webus, but this makes no sense. I really hope you decide to change this because other than this your mod looks amazing and fixes so many problems with the unmodded game.

Edit: Reading through this thread it sounds like the problem is that AI is hardcoded to get resources bonuses on Expert? What difficulty should I play on for a challenging, but not massively cheating AI game? Challenging?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time: