Undead Faction is funny.

By on November 2, 2013 2:49:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ericridge

Join Date 02/2012
+27

First things first.

I confess that I just lost my first army in this current game in progress at beginning of the game which consisted of Morrigan, One skeleton spearman, and skeleton milita.  To... Mites. I actually got myself besieged in my first village by darklings and mites surrounding it. I didn't leave until I have leather armor at least with four new spearmen built.

Darklings and Mites got routed shortly afterwards. But the shame of dying to mites once is eternal.

Then the way Undead grow their cities.... is quite different.

Don't worry about food yields, disregard them and only focus on production and essence values.

See that 1 food and 6 production tile? Plop a fortress right there and profit!

See that two essence tile? Drop a conclave right there and build the oracle!

Towns, eh, only build the towns if you need gold that badly.

Methods of growing the cities..

Constabularies. They increase ur growth by one for each constabularies you build.

Morrigan's Call requires you to have at minimum of 1 death shard under your control to start using this spell.

Various quests that give you buildings as Temple of assassins or Shrine of Martyr that gives growth and such.

And good old fashioned method of murdering humans from living factions and drag their corpses to your cities and convert them into skeletons :3.

Sadly, enemy sovereigns' corpses cannot be harvested.

To boost your population limit, you will need to build graves, they're like important, even skeletons need a place to rest their bones before acting again.

Mausoleum, catacombs, etc.

It's easy to grow undead cities if you can cast morrigan's call. But most of the times, you will have to do the hard work of building constabularies. They alone is only way to grow your undead villages if you have nothing else, including no humans to kill.

Then how undeads expand is really unusual. lol, normally with living factions you can just plop down a village and start growing right there. But not with undead, they need constabularies just to get started. And I noticed that undeads can expand safely if they do it defensively, not AI Style expansion like plop down a village in middle of angry monsters. And you gotta adopt that horde mentality. Sure it's nice to have a strong army, but, even when they're strong, they're fragile, its better to have several sacrificial armies on hand in case something powerful shows up and says hi to your brittle bones. (Plus, currently undead cities is defended by resoln militias. So you definitely don't wanna get attacked in cities.)

You should try to keep the battle to the fields, not the cities itself. If you thought skeleton soldiers was fragile.. you haven't seen how fragile the skeleton civilians is

As for the skeleton soldiers themselves..

They have this awesome terror ability and you can spam it every single turn without consequences. It's nice way to compensate for how weak the skeletons are. It casts afraid on enemies that fail to resist Terror and it last for a single action from enemy so they will be too afraid to do anything for their action but next action they won't be afraid. Good use of Terror will help you win battles that is unwinnable otherwise. And delay a losing battle for as long as possible as you attempt to do as much damage as possible before you get wiped out so that the chances of winning for next skeleton army is better than the former.

Another awesome thing is that Skeleton soldiers don't cost wages at all. Go ahead and make billions of skeletons if you want to, they won't cost u a single penny lol. Its just that they're pretty fragile and stuff.

Your fortresses will be churning out skeletons almost non-stop.

Even when you're expanding to fresh sector of the map, reinforcements is noticeably difficult for skeletons because they will need reinforcements from fortresses. Thus, when expanding into new areas, it's better for you to bring whole bunch of armies if you can to account for casualties that occur when you get oneshot or face drakes and even angry Trogs.

If it's like first 100 turns of the game, Yithril = Bowling Balls and Skeletons = Bowling Pins? Yeah I had that happen, I pissed yithril off and they sent several armies to bowl over my first fortress and I retired right after that. Oneshot, oneshot, oneshot,oneshot, oneshot, oneshot. Gee. Damn.

Simply put, my most favorite faction is Gilden, but I now have second favorite faction.. it's the risen undead faction. Polar opposites, i know.

Locked Post 23 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 2, 2013 3:59:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When you get leatherworking, you can build skeletons that split when they kill a unit. Up to 6 units. Its awesome.

November 2, 2013 4:19:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Constabularies. They increase ur growth by one for each constabularies you build."

I cannot find these buildings anywhere. Explain?

November 2, 2013 7:20:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

constabularies are one of the later upgrades to outposts - you can't directly build them in cities. so to build them, you need the tech for it (i think it's one of the mid/late techs in civilization tree, don't remember which exactly) and an outpost that is linked to the city. it's not undead specific - all factions can have those (that's also a way to boost growth of key cities for all faction, e.g. to get that high food fortress to level 5 ASAP for prison&onyx throne etc.)

November 2, 2013 11:58:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, the specific upgrade is the Consulate, not the Constabulary (which is not a name given to any non-mod improvement I know of).

November 3, 2013 1:28:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah yes its consulate, my bad.. This game is only thing that I actually use that word for.

And yeah.. eternal defender. I still haven't tried it out yet, been too busy having fun with spearmen alone lol.

Or that's what I'd like to do.. FE:LH crashes like there's no tomorrow now. Two unfinished games that I want to play so badly.

November 3, 2013 5:02:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been playing Gigantic maps (from a mod) on 64-bit Windows 7 (computer is 4 or 5 years old with a newer hard drive) and pretty much the only time the game crashes is when I've been playing for it a long time or when I reload multiple times without restarting.  The in-game crashes seems to mostly happen when ending turn and then a building finishes.

November 11, 2013 8:29:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Consulate- A sort-of synonym for an embassy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consulate#Consulates_and_embassies

November 11, 2013 9:39:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How can I choose the rase Skeletons??

November 11, 2013 9:52:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The "Dead" race is in the newest DLC, The Dead World.  To get the full effect in a custom faction, you need to choose a custom race that uses the Dead race, AND have Undead (which costs 2 faction points), which gives free wages and the Graves limit for growing your cities.

You get no natural growth, but any growth bonus still works - you are limited by Graves space rather than food, so ignore the food yield of your tiles.  Ideally you have 1 food, enough for proper graves, and the rest materials and essence.

For non-Conclave cities, they will need at least 2 essence, preferably 3 or more.  A top notch starting Conclave can make do with 1 essence if it has 4 or 5 materials, as long as it is your starting city and you grow it quickly and choose Oracle at level 3.  Morrigan's Call (90 Mana) is a city enchantment that gives +1 growth for each Death Shard you have in your empire.

The pre-built faction uses Undead and Gravetouched player abilities, and is led by Morrigan the Risen, but it doesn't yet perform well when it is played by the computer.

Note that female Dead Sovs and female units start with Spirit (half physical damage) ability, for Sovs it is free but for units it uses one of the three trait slots and you pay the production cost.  It is still one of the most powerful starting abilities though.

Spirit, combined with Undying Curse, allows you to have tough ghost units that grow up to a 6-ghost unit way for the first three killing blows they make (if they start with 3 members of the one unit) before the other sides get 6-soldier units by research.  Use this advantage, and get the ghosts into your army as soon as you have enough production to speed them along.  But you will need a few units in your army so they can protect each other.

I find female ghost club units with Spirit, Undying Curse and Lithe (-1HP and +10 Dodge) is a good combo for the start of the game when you have a decent production rate, before you have researched leatherworking or early magic techs.  Get them to feed off early monster stacks, they can even stand up okay to wolves, as long as no Great Wolf is in the pack to multiply damage.

November 11, 2013 5:11:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kann es sein, daß das neue Untoten-Modul für mich (deutsche Version) noch nicht verfügbar ist?

Could it be that the new Undead-pack is not available for the german version?? I only see the price of € 5,-.

November 20, 2013 5:40:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,

When you get leatherworking, you can build skeletons that split when they kill a unit. Up to 6 units. Its awesome.

This feature is more like a cheat for human player. It kills all interest. Player feeds enemies to his armies and they have 6 soldiers in a group earle in the game. No AI opponent can stand against this cheat. No need to research highly expensive Logistics - just cheat AI and win. I suggest everybody to find this trait in DLC04Abilities file and delete string "Unit_design", then open aDLC04Units and just delete strings with this thait from units characters.

November 20, 2013 6:28:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting webusver,
This feature is more like a cheat for human player. It kills all interest

Have you actually played a game as the Undead faction? It's quite hard. In particular, expansion is tough. In some ways it plays almost like a single city challenge; your capital will probably have growth from the Tower of Dominion, but for the rest, you can build lots of villages but growth to level 2 is going to be slow, probably impossible until you can afford to cast Call of Morrigan on them (90 mana) or can afford to burn a Pioneer (30 population from your only decent city, i.e. your capital) and have the tech to build one of the outposts which gives +1 growth. It's impossible to get even your capital to the highest city levels until you've researched the tech which allows a high enough population (increased maximum graves), which is quite late.

I'm only a few hours into my first game as the Undead, but trust me, it's challenging. I've had a decent start without being bothered by the AI too much, but with nothing but my capital and a couple of villages, the only way I'm going to be able to make progress is by being aggressive with my armies. Undying Curse and half physical damage undoubtedly make the armies powerful, but whether that will be enough to compensate for slow city expansion (which means slow army production), and whether my small empire will be enough to cope with Ridiculous AI, I will have to wait and see. It certainly doesn't feel easy.

November 20, 2013 6:29:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Dead World Impressions

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/11/fallen-enchantress-legendary-heroes-the-dead-world-impressions/

January 28, 2014 6:12:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I yesterday buyed the Addon with the Undead.

But why should I take them??? The race-benefit is "-2 initiative". Wow!!!

I didn't find the spell Morgannas Call, couldn't research it or whatever, altough I had Death-Magic. And I had two Death-shards!!!

So what??

January 28, 2014 8:48:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting csac1979,

I yesterday buyed the Addon with the Undead.

But why should I take them??? The race-benefit is "-2 initiative". Wow!!!

I didn't find the spell Morgannas Call, couldn't research it or whatever, altough I had Death-Magic. And I had two Death-shards!!!

So what??

Did you create a custom faction, or use the default one?  The spell comes with one of the new faction abilities and is immediately available (doesn't require research).  If you created a custom faction and didn't give them that Gravetouched (as pointed out by Rotlung below) ability (I believe it's "Undead", with the ball and chain icon, though I don't have the game available right now) , it won't be available for use.

As for what their benefits are, assuming that you use the default faction or create one with the same faction attributes

• Free troops!!!  Seriously, this is the biggest benefit.  Spam troops every chance you get.  If you don't actually need them at the moment, build scouts or "filler" units. Just make sure to spec no-resource equipment for your "filler" units - leather + clubs/maces/mauls or something.
  • The "Spirit" trait on female troops - 1/2 physical damage reduction is amazing, especially early game.
  • The "Undying Curse" (or whatever it's called - the unit trait that looks like 2 demons stepping out of eachother) - this is the same ability that Butchermen and Assassin demons have.  Early game 6-figure troops is amazing.
  • Haunted Army spell - this is a great early-ish rush or anti-rush spell (if you can get the mana)
  • If you get several death shards (this is favored by bigger maps), Morrigan's call makes even late game city growth feasible.  Though if you're still around, you're probably winning by this point.

So, basically, they're built around fielding large armies of cheap troops, with an early rush option.  Early game it's very hard to get your population bootstrapped, but once you're past that hurdle you can churn out your legions of the dead until they cover the land.

January 28, 2014 10:22:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe the faction ability you need for Morrigan's Call (among other Undead-specific spells) is Gravetouched.

January 28, 2014 11:17:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Due to your hints I spot that there is a new race called Undead with -2 to initiative AND there are two new benefits below which you can take with each race: graveyard and undead. So I can take humans as race with the benefit undead...

But then I still don't understand why I should take the race Undead. It only gives a disadvantage of -2 initiative. Others like the ironeers give +30 spellresistance and so on.

Thank you.

January 28, 2014 12:11:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The 'undead' race type gives 100% poison resistance, 100% resistance to critical hits (all hits on the target are normal hits, not 0 damage on a critical), and the 'Terror' ability, which causes an adjacent target to lose its next action unless they pass a spell resistance check (this ability has a reasonably high success rate), at the cost of 2 initiative. Perhaps the game doesn't do a good job of telling you what you're getting, and what you do end up with is not exceptional, but being 'undead' isn't entirely a bad thing and the 'Terror' ability has the potential to be enormously useful as long as you can field about as many undead units as your enemy has units in their army, holding back perhaps one or two units to start the work of killing off the enemy.

January 28, 2014 12:19:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I

Quoting csac1979,
Due to your hints I spot that there is a new race called Undead with -2 to initiative AND there are two new benefits below which you can take with each race: graveyard and undead. So I can take humans as race with the benefit undead...

But then I still don't understand why I should take the race Undead. It only gives a disadvantage of -2 initiative. Others like the ironeers give +30 spellresistance and so on.

Thank you.

If you're looking to min-max, then this is probably not the right faction for you.  Above all the mechanical effects listed by joeball123 and myself above, the real reason to take the undead faction is that you want to play a horde of evil undead overrunning the land; choosing this race type lets you look like skeletons/banshees astride skeletal horses.

If the cool factor of that doesn't grab you, you may have misspent your $5 or whatever.

January 28, 2014 12:57:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just finished playing a game with the race trogs with graveyard, lucky, fast and beeing able to convert shards into death-shards.

Unfortunately the game had an error at turn 100 or so. So I have the following questions:

Can the juggernauts wear armor?

Are they the only units getting +4 initiative per level as a possible feature?

It seems that I still need food for growth. I believe that only the feature "undead" makes such food-buildings obsolete?

January 28, 2014 1:25:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting csac1979,

Can the juggernauts wear armor?

No, but they can wear shields and accessories that boost defense.

Quoting csac1979,

Are they the only units getting +4 initiative per level as a possible feature?

You mean "Frenzy?" I think it's a flat +4 initiative and +1 move, not scaled per level.

January 28, 2014 5:25:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, there is written: "Frenzy" (didn't know how it was called in English): + 4 initiative and +1 move per level!!!

The juggernauts have two great disadvantages: I believe they can't carry a bow or a staff (so you can't make range units of them) and they only get +2 life per level (normal stacks get 6x2=12) but the +4 initiative....

January 31, 2014 12:10:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting csac1979,

No, there is written: "Frenzy" (didn't know how it was called in English): + 4 initiative and +1 move per level!!!

The juggernauts have two great disadvantages: I believe they can't carry a bow or a staff (so you can't make range units of them) and they only get +2 life per level (normal stacks get 6x2=12) but the +4 initiative....

Here's the xml. Just +4 init and +1 moves, no scaling to level:

Code: xml
  1.     <AbilityBonus InternalName="FrenzyAbility">
  2.         <AbilityBonusType>Unit_Design</AbilityBonusType>
  3.         <AbilityBonusOption InternalName="Frenzy">
  4.             <DisplayName>Frenzy</DisplayName>
  5.             <Description>+4 Initiative and +1 Moves</Description>
  6.             <Icon>Ability_Frenzy_Icon.png</Icon>
  7.             <GameModifier>
  8.                 <ModType>Unit</ModType>
  9.                 <Attribute>AdjustUnitStat</Attribute>
  10.                 <StrVal>UnitStat_CombatSpeed</StrVal>
  11.                 <Value>4</Value>
  12.                 <Provides>+4 Initiative</Provides>
  13.             </GameModifier>
  14.             <GameModifier>
  15.                 <ModType>Unit</ModType>
  16.                 <Attribute>AdjustUnitStat</Attribute>
  17.                 <StrVal>UnitStat_Moves</StrVal>
  18.                 <Value>1</Value>
  19.                 <Provides>+1 Moves</Provides>
  20.             </GameModifier>
  21.             <AdditionalTrainingTurns>50</AdditionalTrainingTurns>
  22.             <IsCombatAbility>1</IsCombatAbility>
  23.             <Type>Aggressive</Type>
  24.             <SupportedUnitModelType>JuggernautMale</SupportedUnitModelType>
  25.             <AIData AIPersonality="AI_General">
  26.                 <AIPriority>5</AIPriority>
  27.             </AIData>
  28.         </AbilityBonusOption>
  29.     </AbilityBonus>

The point of juggernauts is MAUL, in my view.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time: