1.4 [Crash] Middle of turn crashes.

By on October 30, 2013 8:10:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ericridge

Join Date 02/2012
+27

Ok uh, I'm going to try keep this smooth, first report and all.

The original thread about this issue is. http://forums.elementalgame.com/449592/page/1/

Debug.err file, its' dated 10/28/2013 the day where i see CTDs for the first time. http://www.mediafire.com/download/1a0cu7endspdm1u/debug.err

Then for the crash files.. I see three.. I honestly don't know what to upload so I'll upload all three.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/27stzr407h4lfz0/LegendaryHeroes1_30-2013-09-10T23-02-54_856.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m3mtysq28mc2265/LegendaryHeroes1_30-2013-09-29T21-48-45_936.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/22txrxb9yais4hm/LegendaryHeroes1_30-2013-09-06T18-44-56_244.zip

If you can tell me which one is right, I'll be happy.

And here's the Save file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xfmvuvgcerb9f3e/Rose+Knights.EleSav

Now to explain how it happens.

Basically it crashes every time the AI is processing their turns, dunno who is doing it. Definitely not Yithril because they're resting in their graves.

By having your view chilling on the world strategy view and have the camera zoomed in just about right so you can see your units and cities and enemy monsters and such and move them around. Then the game will eventually freeze then I have to click on the screen to make it freeze up for good and then click again to make it crash to desktop.

And thus, I reload it and try again and it works ok for like 2 turns or more then freeze n crash to desktop happens again.

At this point i was getting tired of it, I zoomed out to the world map, and it seems like it works just fine if I zoom out every single time to world map, not sure though.. didn't test this part enough reloading the game is pretty tiring.

The save file takes place about four to ten turns after the first crash, so it technically can be played but extremely annoying to do so because i don't like to zoom out to world map every single turn. Oh and this is the worst i've been having the crash issues with fe:lh, 1.4 is the worst basically once every few turns compared to, 1.3 only had them from time to time in 1.3 like maybe once every 20 hours or so.

Did I file this report right?

Locked Post 49 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 30, 2013 10:19:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You posted it right. I believe the I believe the log name reads that those crashes happened Sept 6, 9, 10th. It's possible the error you are encountering is caused by the save not being compatible with the new patches. Let Stardock confirm that. I crash every time on the 2nd time hitting end turn from where your save begins

October 30, 2013 10:20:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am having the same problem.  I am well into a medium size game with 4 AI opponents.  The game turns are taking longer and longer to process, up to 20 seconds, and now they are simply locking up as described above. 

Stridefar

October 30, 2013 10:29:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When did you start the game. I havent had many of these crashes myself since games I created in 1.3. Games older then that though crashed like crazy. Problem with patching is some of the older games are not compatible with newer patches (this is generic problem with saves across all games) 

October 31, 2013 1:56:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,

You posted it right. I believe the I believe the log name reads that those crashes happened Sept 6, 9, 10th. It's possible the error you are encountering is caused by the save not being compatible with the new patches. Let Stardock confirm that. I crash every time on the 2nd time hitting end turn from where your save begins

But its' a brand new game that I started when 1.4 released, it's not a old game from 1.3..

October 31, 2013 9:47:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have similar problem. Game crashes to desktop during enemy turn. It crashes if I push LMB, otherwise it just hangs for ulimited time, music still playing but no movement. I tried to zoom out to the world map - no help, the same crash. I started a game after 1.4 was released. I tried to turn off autosave - without success. Don't know what to do more. Is it common problem?

October 31, 2013 11:33:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ericridge,

Quoting Illauna, reply 1

But its' a brand new game that I started when 1.4 released, it's not a old game from 1.3..

Odd the debug.err was saying it was saved as 1.3 for me. 

October 31, 2013 5:18:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,

Quoting Ericridge, reply 4

Quoting Illauna, reply 1

Odd the debug.err was saying it was saved as 1.3 for me. 

Hmm.... Only one possibility then. Its a brand new game in 1.4 but I may have saved it on a old 1.3 savefile will that be reason why? I was playing late into the night and didn't feel like coming up with a new save name.

October 31, 2013 5:32:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi guys,

I started this game in 1.3, but downloaded 1.4 when it was released.  So the first time I used 1.4 I also used a 1.3 saved game.  Everything worked well for several days in 1.4 but then the turns started to slow down and finally the crashing started.

I did not continue to use the 1.3 saved file and have been saving 1.4 saves as new saves.

Stridefar

October 31, 2013 6:18:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey all.  I too am crashing late game.  I have started a new game in 1.4.  I do have all the DLCs installed but I have "use mods" not selected.

Very frustrating.  Spent hours invested in this game.

Mozo

October 31, 2013 6:47:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mozo post your debug.err and dump files. Stardock will need these to find the problem. 

November 1, 2013 8:29:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Stridefar,

Hi guys,

I started this game in 1.3, but downloaded 1.4 when it was released.  So the first time I used 1.4 I also used a 1.3 saved game.  Everything worked well for several days in 1.4 but then the turns started to slow down and finally the crashing started.

I did not continue to use the 1.3 saved file and have been saving 1.4 saves as new saves.

Stridefar

When loading up a 1.3 game after a 1.4 upgrade, the only "upgraded" parts are the bits compiled into the game executable/binary libraries, so it's not "really" 1.4.

The way this game works is that it zips up all the data files that were in effect at the start of the game and saves them in the save file, so that even if you upgrade the game, the data files are still the previous version's (this has the benefit of not invalidating certain "midstream" gameplay things, but the downside of not immediately seeing the improvements.)  

I believe the thinking is that individual games are relatively short, so the hassles of figuring out how to safely update data files mid-game wasn't worth it.

November 1, 2013 5:30:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Try updating your video drivers.  They appear to be over two and a half years old.  You can see the date in the debug file under display info.

November 1, 2013 7:39:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BrianLightfoot,

Try updating your video drivers.  They appear to be over two and a half years old.  You can see the date in the debug file under display info.

Who?

November 1, 2013 7:54:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You, it won't fix your problem here but you could be running into other problems.

Driver Date: 2/15/2011 18:56:30
November 2, 2013 1:43:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,

You, it won't fix your problem here but you could be running into other problems.

How do I update the driver?

And the crashes is prevailing now in the brand new undead game that i'm playing in fe:lh.

November 2, 2013 12:05:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm also having crashes with 1.4 + Dead add-on. This is a new game, not loading an old one. Video drivers were just updated directly from the nVidia four days ago. FE was completely stable before 1.4 + Dead.

I have a save on the turn before the crash, which is consistent and repeatable.

November 2, 2013 12:50:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ericridge,

Quoting Illauna, reply 14

How do I update the driver?

And the crashes is prevailing now in the brand new undead game that i'm playing in fe:lh.

Steam added a neat feature for doing video card driver updates. 

1.  Open Steam.

2.  Click Steam > Check for Video Driver Updates

3.  On the website that pops up input all of your video card info.

4.  Download the driver and install it.

For NVidia you can download NVidia experience. Not only does it notify you when new driver updates are available it can optimize the video settings for some games. If anything it is a time saver. 

As far as your new game. Post the newest error logs. Because you are running a newer version you may be encountering a different kind of crash. Update the drivers first and see if your crashing issues go away. You should not have to start a new game for a driver update. 

November 2, 2013 12:51:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jack Higgins,

I'm also having crashes with 1.4 + Dead add-on. This is a new game, not loading an old one. Video drivers were just updated directly from the nVidia four days ago. FE was completely stable before 1.4 + Dead.

I have a save on the turn before the crash, which is consistent and repeatable.

Hey Jack,

Can you post your debug.err from the My Documents folder, the crash dump from the Program Data\Stardock folder, and the save game where you are having a crash?

November 2, 2013 3:16:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OK, Illauna. Follow the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/umhs9p96t48hh/FE_Crash

November 2, 2013 3:26:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are mine debug.err and save file

http://files.mail.ru/86D22FBBC625454B9B50FFBA1076D11F

I couldn't found crash dump - in Program Data\Stardock there is no such thing, nor in next folder "Elemental - Legendary Heroes". What this file have to look like?

November 2, 2013 3:51:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's not always there. I have noticed it doesnt appear. I think it happens if you terminate FE when it hasnt crashed but it appears frozen.

November 2, 2013 4:13:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b5l10qnuoo1b2y/Wait%20Chain-Rose.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nz36itr2472yf2p/Wait%20Chain-manc3.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/diejuxw382fr9ey/Wait%20Chain-2.png

I'll be honest but I might be intrepretting this wrong. But I think there is an infinite loop in the end turn code. I ran through the saves posted earlier this week. All of them are showing a wait chain stack like this. Also, when I run these saves it's not actually crashing the game but windows does detect the application is taking a while. All of these examples did not generate a dump file for me to send. Which I would think Fallen Enchantress doesnt think the application has yet crashed. 

November 2, 2013 6:25:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jack Higgins,

OK, Illauna. Follow the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/umhs9p96t48hh/FE_Crash[/quote]

Your game was not crashing for me btw. I turned on the cheat mode and set to auto turn. Took a shower. Came back and it was still processing new turns. Although the error logs may tell Stardock why it crashed for you. I reached turn 600.

November 2, 2013 6:56:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,
not crashing for me btw. I turned on the cheat mode and set to auto turn. Took a shower. Came back and it was still processi

Of course. It's crashed for me three times in a row, why would it work for anyone else?   I can't progress on the game, so I'll just start it over. Thanks for trying.

November 3, 2013 1:12:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Okay Illauna.

here's the debug. http://www.mediafire.com/download/etskffsl4o32a22/debug%282%29.err

That helps or do u need more?

edit: just installed the updated video drivers, I see i haven't updated them in 2 years.
And even with updated video drivers, the game still crashes. Here's the latest info. Sigh.

Debug..

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qgp2wmqruuuc85l/debug%283%29.err

Although what do I do about these files? For some reason there's three more folders and they're 0 kb in size.

And here's the save game.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9l7imthpdb5u31m/Undead+Empire.EleSav

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time: