The twilight of Nokia

By on October 9, 2013 11:21:26 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

In the evening as the parents were going to bed, the drowsy four-year-old appeared at their bedroom door with a question: "Can I take that magic telephone and put it under my pillow tonight?"

That was the moment when the Nokia executive understood that his company was in trouble.

http://pulse.me/s/rL4vl

Locked Post 53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 10, 2013 11:04:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,
Personally, I don't really care what Jafo thinks of me, as much as I dislike being misunderstood.

October 10, 2013 11:10:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Back on topic though........

As I have exhaustively posted about in ID's thread I purchased a Lumia last November.  I have watched both the Windows Phone platform and the app offerings mature significantly since then.  MS and Nokia have provided several software updates during this time and are looking to release yet another sometime this November.  Usefulness of the platform and/or the apps will of course vary from user to user but it would be folly to discount MS/Nokia as a player in the new smartphone arena.  As ID has already stated, the Lumia line in particular has done really well for Nokia and there is no real indication that it won't continue to do so. 

At the end of the day everyone should choose the device which they believe they will get the most use out of and feel the most comfortable with.  Unfortunately it would be hard to tell from the sales data how many people actually did so and/or how many people have purchased and are now stuck with a device based more on popular demand/opinion (which isn't always about usefulness and sometimes more about coolness and status) than anything else.

All I know is that throughout the day when I move from the desktop to notebook to tablet to phone there doesn't seem to be much of a difference other than screen size; I don't have to change my way of doing things from device to device because they all run the same core OS, everything is in complete sync with one another and I have MS (and Nokia in the case of the phone) to thank for that.

October 10, 2013 11:58:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
I don't know.......there was this one time.........Jafo agreed with me (actually maybe it was twice now....hehe

Yes....that was a dark day in history indeed...

[actually you'd be surprised how often I DO agree with what you say]

I can't always help it when someone mis-interprets my comments...no matter how eloquent they may be.... it's a simple reality I'm here observing pretty-well every thread that's been posted on these Forums.  That's decades of interaction... not all of which can be inoccuously squeaky clean and flowers and doves.

Sometimes ascerbic wit is lost on people.

Re cardinaldirection's 'rant' [his word] someone from Apple clearly ran over his cat for the OP to prompt said 'rant'.  It evinced a comedic response, nothing more....

October 11, 2013 12:36:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo you have to admit you do get upset at times. For example look what happens when we talk American politics or American cars. Then the holier than thou attitude comes out.

October 11, 2013 12:48:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
Jafo you have to admit you do get upset at times. For example look what happens when we talk American politics or American cars. Then the holier than thou attitude comes out.

I don't understand US Politics.....I doubt anyone really does...

So....the number of truly 'great' cars to come out of the US can be counted on the fingers of one hand.....that's not my fault either....

October 11, 2013 12:52:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good example of no tact and arrogance right there.

October 11, 2013 1:00:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If anyone missed the memo, this thread is now about Jafo.

October 11, 2013 1:08:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Good example of no tact and arrogance right there.

October 11, 2013 5:54:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
As ID has already stated, the Lumia line in particular has done really well for Nokia and there is no real indication that it won't continue to do so. 

there is one: Nokia's phone business was cheaper than Skype. 7 billion $ looks (but only looks) like a steal. while the high-end Lumias are great products (at least the hardware), i do not think they are profitable. Nokia burnt money as if there's no tomorrow, but maybe that was Elop's plan from the beginning. 

October 11, 2013 9:10:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Of course....all threads are about Jafo....didn't people get the memo?

Rather than this deviated septum of a topic direction...what say we stick somewhere remotely with the OP....

Kona....chill...it's good for life expectancy.

October 11, 2013 9:29:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Heavenfall deserves karma for that one. LMAO!

October 11, 2013 1:15:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting moshi,

while the high-end Lumias are great products (at least the hardware), i do not think they are profitable. 

What's wrong with the software?  It is easily the easiest and most intuitive (these days) phone OS to use (YES I have owned and used blackberry devices, android devices and iOS devices) which is actually underlined by the recent iOS 7 update whose multitasking screen is now a direct copy of Windows Phone.

Also, just to mention again.   

Quoting the_Monk,

All I know is that throughout the day when I move from the desktop to notebook to tablet to phone there doesn't seem to be much of a difference other than screen size; I don't have to change my way of doing things from device to device because they all run the same core OS, everything is in complete sync with one another and I have MS (and Nokia in the case of the phone) to thank for that.

I don't care what 'camp' your opinion comes from, that is something that is hard to beat.

October 11, 2013 4:49:22 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting kona0197, reply 17There are times when he could use a bit more tact.

That could be said of each and every one of us, even the Frog-in-Chief.

ESPECIALLY the Frog-in-Chief. You bastards!

October 11, 2013 4:49:51 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Could you return to the topic, Kona? Sheesh.

October 11, 2013 4:56:02 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Anyway...

The problem with Windows Phone is just that it has no personality.  Someone it Microsoft mistakenly believed that easier = boring.  It's not fun using a bunch of colored blocks.  On top of that, they hard coded a back button just to add a bit of gratuitous complexity. LCARS was an interesting idea in the 80s. But 

My natural inclination was to move to a Windows Phone device.  But they are so objectively inferior to their competitors at this stage that only a total revamp of their strategy could possibly save it.  

What most non-MS develoepers don't realize is just how completely and thoroughly Microsoft has fucked over its development ecosystem since 2007. Over and over again. Microsoft is completely high to think any serious developer is going to commit to WinRT without the market being there first. 

October 11, 2013 4:59:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The problem with Windows Phone is just that it has no personality.  Someone it Microsoft mistakenly believed that easier = boring.  It's not fun using a bunch of colored blocks.  On top of that, they hard coded a back button just to add a bit of gratuitous complexity. LCARS was an interesting idea in the 80s. But 

My natural inclination was to move to a Windows Phone device.  But they are so objectively inferior to their competitors at this stage that only a total revamp of their strategy could possibly save it.

Well, that just sealed it for me. I'll stick with android phones. Boring is not what I am looking for.

***Didn't Island DOg get a Windows phone?? I'd sure like to hear from him on it, if he did.

October 11, 2013 6:01:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
***Didn't Island DOg get a Windows phone?? I'd sure like to hear from him on it, if he did.

Yeah he did, and he swears by it.

October 11, 2013 6:10:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm pretty sure WinRT is just intended as a stepping stone attempt at gaining a foothold in the mobile industry while it's still possible, until hardware gets up to par (for 1 OS to rule them all), and agree that anyone would be foolish to develop for it.

TBH I would be highly surprised if MS wasn't already throwing a ton of resources into a UNIX based ecosystem.  Every hardware manufacturer on the planet is.  The current slump in their ingenuity may actually be a result of this reallocation of resources towards tomorrow.

When it comes to the lesser of evils between Apple, Google, and MS though, MS is the no-brainer IMO.  (Pardon my French but...) Apple is a marketing whore, and Google is an advertising whore, neither of them are actually devoting resources towards professional grade products.  The only industry Apple actually excels in is Audio Engineering.

However, all Sony has to do is stick a cell card in their next portable, and start working with Valve's new 'nix OS to take that PS Network login on Steam to the next level (~5yrs), and the game is over.  The games industry defines professional grade standards by definition of resource requirements, and now that Adobe's source code has supposedly been stolen (and can easily be open sourced), and everything is migrating to the web anyway, actual device OS is mattering less and less.

IBM is a mystery, Oracle will probably get bought, and Nintendo will probably start making children's toys.

^They all share the honor of spearheading the tech industry at this point.

I think I enjoy this in a similar manner to how most enjoy football.

Oh, and @RND - classic.  +karma

October 11, 2013 8:00:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The problem with Windows Phone is just that it has no personality. Someone it Microsoft mistakenly believed that easier = boring. It's not fun using a bunch of colored blocks.

WP is boring compared to the stale BORE that is iOS?   I mean sure iOS 7 finally (I mean......my god finally!) brought some changes...........of course one of the biggest 'changes' is to the multi-tasking screen which now looks like none other than wait for it...............oh that's right......Windows Phone.

Those coloured blox you speak of do a hell of a lot more than just have a nice red number plopped at the upper right when things happen but I guess playing with stale icon-grids is for all the cool kids these days.........

October 11, 2013 10:10:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 40The problem with Windows Phone is just that it has no personality.  Someone it Microsoft mistakenly believed that easier = boring.  It's not fun using a bunch of colored blocks.  On top of that, they hard coded a back button just to add a bit of gratuitous complexity. LCARS was an interesting idea in the 80s. But 

Well, that just sealed it for me. I'll stick with android phones. Boring is not what I am looking for.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/437773/page/1/#replies

October 11, 2013 10:11:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,
Oh, and @RND - classic.  +karma

October 13, 2013 3:45:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

WP is boring compared to the stale BORE that is iOS?   I mean sure iOS 7 finally (I mean......my god finally!) brought some changes...........of course one of the biggest 'changes' is to the multi-tasking screen which now looks like none other than wait for it...............oh that's right......Windows Phone.

both of them look like the webOS task switcher. neither solution is good as with all them it takes to long to get to the desired app. something closer to Expose would have been better in my opinion.

October 13, 2013 3:47:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My daughter has a Nokia 822. Whoever came up with the idea of using a mini USB plug for charging/data transfer needs to be hurt. The connection always gets lose and sloppy. I've had to replace that phone 2 times now.

October 13, 2013 5:15:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting moshi,

both of them look like the webOS task switcher. neither solution is good as with all them it takes to long to get to the desired app. something closer to Expose would have been better in my opinion.

Agreed, especially about the Expose bit.  I still can't figure out why Google hired Matias Duarte.

October 13, 2013 5:27:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

By the way the only other things I see wrong with Windows phones are lack of apps, phones aren't loud enough to hear when ringing, can't pick a custom notification sound, horrible battery life, they don't handle Gmail correctly, can't turn off the lock screen, and some models have no SD card slot.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time: