Very brief help with Win8 needed

By on September 27, 2013 2:58:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

onomastikon

Join Date 02/2006
+18

Sorry, I'm computer illiterate and am having a bit of a time attempting to get a couple of things done, any tips for an idiot are greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance!

1- I have a new laptop running windows 8, an SSD (128 gig) and an HHD (1TB). It came with the OS installed to C:, which is the SSD (good), but by default, all programs and data, including "my documents" etc., are also on C: -- I'd rather have the default be on my HDD. How can I change that?

2. How can I partition E: (the HDD) into smaller bits?

3. When I asked Windows 8 how much space "apps" were taking up on my disk, it listed some, such as "Reisen" ("Travel" in German) which I guess is now standard for windows 8, but I see no way to deinstall these. Are "apps" small programs that you cannot uninstall, but "programs" larger ones you can? How can I get rid of "Reisen / Travel", or is it just part of Windows?

4. Where, exactly, are my programs? I don't see any "Start menu", like I've been used to for the past 25 years.... How can I arrange those?

THANK YOU

Locked Post 7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 27, 2013 6:28:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows8 is very different onomastikon. Microsoft did away with the start menu in favor of 'big tiles' I call them that rest on your screen. I haven't played that much with Win8 so don't know too much about it. There is a program called Start 8 that brings back the start menu similar to Win7. As for your programs...well...that will have to wait for someone more familiar with Win8 so I'm gonna bump this.

BUMP!

September 27, 2013 8:17:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This might help as a start...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/tutorial

As for regaining your start menu, I'd recommend Stardock's Start8. http://stardock.com/products/start8/

September 27, 2013 8:46:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

2#
How to create a partition...

1. Press the (windowskey + R) "windowskey is the one that has the flag on it
Drücke die Tasten kombination ( windowstaste und R)

the command box should pop up - das Ausführen fenster sollte sich geöffnet haben
2. type "diskmgmt.msc" into it without " 
Nun gebe in dieses Fenster "diskmgmt.msc" ohne anführungszeichen ein.
wait a bit so it can detect your drives
warten Sie bis der Diskmanager die informationen ihrer Festplatten geladen hat.

3 Select your drive and make a right click to it
Wählen Sie die zu partitionierende Festplatte aus und machen Sie einen Rechtsklick auf die Platte
you should see "shrink volume" as option in the menu
Sie sollten nun Volume verkleiner in der Liste haben.

select it...
wählen sie Volume verkleinern bzw shrink Volume

the values shown are expressed in Megabyte
Die Angaben die Sie nun sehen sind in Megabyte ausgedrückt

So if you want a 200 gig partition for example enter the correct value 204800

Also wenn Sie nun eine 200 gigabyte partition haben möchten müssen sie in das Feld 204800 eingeben

(since 1 gigabyte is 1024MB therefore 200 gigs are 204800 MB )
(weil 1 gigabyte korrekt umgerechtnet 1024MB sind sind demnach 200 gigabyte 204800 MB)
press shrink and wait until its done. Drücken Sie verkleinern.

Now you should see the new partition listed on the bottom-
Jetzt sollten Sie eine neue Partition sehen die unten aufgelisted wird ( da wo die kästchen sind )
It should be named - sollte so genannt sein
(new partition not assigned) German : (neue Partition/nicht zugewiesen)
right click it and select New simple Volume
rechts klick auf die unzugewiesene Partition und dann (Neues einfaches Volumen)

Now enter a name for your partition example: Games, management, deposit Pron, 
Jetzt noch der Partition einen namen Geben ... z.B -Spiele, Ablage, Verwaltung, Pron

click continue
weiter klicken

press Finish
Fertig stellen klicken

3#
How to deactivate Tiles
Wie Kacheln entfernen

When on START on Windows 8 right click the tile you hate - if you did there should be options on the bottom of the page like deinstall or deactivate live tile

Wenn Sie auf der START oberfläche von Windows 8 sind klicken Sie die von Ihnen gehasste Kachelmit rechts an nun sollten sie unten auf der seite optionen haben darunter Deinstallieren oder Deaktivierung von live Kachel

These APPS Tiles or Kacheln are very small they hardly take disk space away so there is no need to deinstall them... give each a try and then go for it some of these tiles are actually quite usefull, and they can make your experience at your computer freaking sweet news for example will always update and inform you since it is a live tile about what is going on...without even opening it. OK i never used Reisen myself lol but the News tile is cool.

4. If you would like to have a similar startmenu as you did had in windows7 you should buy START8 from Stardock software
The big screen that you see when you boot up your PC is the NEW IMPROVED WINDOWS8 Startmenu
it has all your programs in it you only have to scroll left or right to see them you can also use The windows key shortcuts ( windowskey and Q ) to find them
Example - press windowskey and Q- now type the name of the program -"photo" you should now get every program listed that has photo in its name
Example- press windowskey and Q- now type not - the notepad ( editor should get listed ) 
Windows8 requires a bit training and it would be wise to follow DOC´s suggestion and read a bit into it once understood things get easier...
If you still have trouble feel free to ask the community here will help you understand since the community is awesome... 

October 2, 2013 5:43:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks much people.

Sorry for one last question: I'm confused, I see by accident that when clicking on certain elements, I get to open them with Wordpad or Editor. Damn, I have been looking for these programs and can't find them!!?!! Where the hell are they? Obviously, they are (pre)installed, since I can use them to open texts, but I cannot find them anywhere. 

Similarly, the Windows Media Player is apparently installed, since I can see that I can open a music file with it -- but the program itself, or its shortcut, is nowhere to be found. What gives? Why are they hidden, and where can I find them?

thank you!

October 3, 2013 4:44:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can find the Progs your looking for this way

press the windows key ( Even better press windowskey + Q )
now simply use the keyboard to type the name of the programm you are looking for

note or edit   -Notepad will be listed ( you dont have to write the name out fully) in some cases you only need 2 or three letters
word - wordpad
media - windows media player 

Doc already posted some tutorials...'
I will do the same its important that you do understand these and watch them they will help you feel compfy in windows8

1. Basics Windows8 START:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5JjErbXE8&feature=related
and if you got this tutorial passed you may want to see the multitasking of windows8
2. Advanced use of START/Multitasking:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gSXMh3U9_4&feature=related 

http://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Windows_8.html

hope this helps 

October 3, 2013 10:43:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

^ Thanks, rolo! Didn't know anyone noticed...

This post might prove very useful to you... http://forums.wincustomize.com/448314/page/1/#3396845

October 6, 2013 7:50:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

THank you very much, kind human beings

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000171   Page Render Time: