Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes 1.4 changelog

By on September 23, 2013 5:59:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+173

*** Released 10/24/2013 ***

Features

Added the Fallen Enchantress scenario.

Added the Slam ability (monsters with this ability get a 25% to cause victims they attack to lose their next turn).

Tech updates now merge if the internal name matches (for modders).

Added the Summon Darkling spell

Added the Summon Spider spell

Added the Summon Harridan spell

Added the Summon Wilding spell

Added the Summon Shrill spell

Added the Summon Plaguestalker spell

Fixes

Fixed an issue that revealed the entire map for human players when the AI cast Ineluctable Vision.

Fixed bug where if main map objects were asked to be selected while the tactical window was up (could cause some odd behavior when exiting tactical battles).

Cities now make sure their hubs match the city's selected state, so that we don't have issues where a city appears to be selected but is not actually selected, and vice versa (usually manifested as difficulty selecting/deselecting a given city hub).

Fixed a bug where sometimes conquering an AI city wouldn't allow you to do certain production projects until you reloaded the game, due to the projects not always getting cancelled correctly.

Fixed some artifacting issues on forests (unfortunately this isn't as exciting as having magical artifacts in forests, the graphics guy tell me that artifacts are a bad thing).

Fixed an issue where Champion Shimsher could get Sweep twice.

Fixed lots of issues with placing rivers in the editor.

Fixed the Gust of Wind ability (not the spell), where it wouldnt knock units back if they resisted.

Fixed annoying issue where the hour glass cursor would show when looking at the tech tree.

Fixed common-ish crash bug due to multiple cities looking at the buildable improvements list at the same time.

Fixed a deadlock issue with regards to cities looking at resources (would appear to player as a lockup).

Fixed an issue where you could have a trait selected in the trait tree from a former champions selection.

Improved performance, especially on late game large maps.

Crash fixes.

Balance

Reduced the Fire Shill's Embers damage slightly.

Tectonic Bulwark can now only be be gotten from defeating Torax.

Crag Spawn hit points and defense from level increased, init was lowered slightly.

Earth Elemental hit points and defense from level increased, init was lowered slightly.

Earth Elementals, Grave Elementals, Ancient Grave Elementals, and Stone Golems gain the Slam ability.

Champion Vasim's given a masterwork chain breatpiece (was incorrectly set before).

Champion Rostyra gains Lethal 2 (had Lethal 1 set twice before).

Champion Ulrik gains the Noble trait.

The Gray March (Trog Spearmen) don't start with Chain Mail Proficiency anymore.

Increased the time it takes to for darkling huts to upgrade

Darkling Shamans can summon Darkling Warriors into battle

Haunters can summon Plaguestalkers into battle

Hoarder Spiders can summon Gatherer Spiders into battle

Giant Ravenous Harridan can summon Ravenous Harridans into battle

Shrill Lords can summon groups of Shrills into battle

Spider Queens can summon Gatherer Spiders and Ravenous Harridans into battle

Wilding Shamans can summon Wilding Riders into battle

Increased the damage on Maces, Battle Axes, Boar Spears, Short Swords, Mauls, Pikes, Longswords and Great Axes (along with magical variants)

Reduced the Init penalty on Mauls form -6 to -4.

You can now cast Burning Hands even if you have freindly units in the radius (they won't be effected).

Light Plate Armor now only requires Chain Mail Armor proficiency to wear.

AI

AI won't cast wither on armies without an attack (caravans) anymore.

Monsters are generally more aggressive in neutral and player territory

AI players more aggressive about going after monsters near their cities

AI much better about using magic in tactical battles

AI much better about using summons in tactical battles

Locked Post 229 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 26, 2013 9:17:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

September 27, 2013 5:16:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I disagree with GFireflyE on toning down Wisp and Lightbringer. They're powerful summons, but so are Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Horde. I certainly wouldn't only target the "good summons", and I'm not convinced they need toning down at all.

I approve of the low experience for fighting AI; killing AIs is its own award, i.e. that's how you win the game, and with high XP there would be too much of a steamroller effect. However maybe there could be a small extra bonus / penalty from winning battles with heroes and sovereigns in. I would have thought the easiest would be extra Fame. Gaining one random item from each losing hero might be another possibility.

I am however fully in agreement with GFireflyE that the Pyre of Man needs fixing!

September 27, 2013 6:59:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I usually like to play the first part of the game and dont do much endgame play. I have a game now on a large map where I have played for quite a while and performance is very bad. The game also hangs about every 20-30 minutes. Hope that the performance and crash fixes are for real

September 27, 2013 10:28:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

What does merge mean? The xml of techs can now be overwritten/modded from the mods folder, if the tech internal name in a mod folder xml matches the original?

If so, thank you. Us modders really appreciate any support you give us. Using so much xml in the core game is already a huge gift, further support is icing.

September 27, 2013 10:55:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Added the Fallen Enchantress scenario.

Since you are adding this to LH, would you like me to send you maps with fixed rivers? There are some of these issues in the FE campaign maps (at least the first and second scenario maps)

September 27, 2013 12:05:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting merlinme,
I approve of the low experience for fighting AI; killing AIs is its own award, i.e. that's how you win the game, and with high XP there would be too much of a steamroller effect.

Only one of the victory conditions requires killing AI units.

This is far from the first game of this type, and in all the similar games I can think of AI units give normal (if not higher) exp, and in many of those games a normal unit that gains levels actually gets stronger while in LH they only gain more health. Civ5 for example, barbarian exp caps out early, you have to fight the AI for exp, and that exp can turn your units into 2-3x as powerful monster units capable of attacking multiple times per turn and healing rapidly.

It should be balanced around the fact that it works both ways, if you aren't careful and sure of victory then an offensive loss could mean a couple extra levels for the defending enemy army and the death of units you've cultivated for many turns of gameplay. I've found in these types of games using enemy AI units as food for you powerful units actually creates a scenario quite the opposite of a steamroller. You end up with fewer high power units that you are much more careful with, things slow down and you become less able to handle enemy zerg attacks on multiple fronts.

I think if there is any balance concern a simple change would be all that's necessary. Have a unit's wages increase by like 10% per level. I think this change is already necessary, wages are currently pretty meaningless especially if you focus on fewer high power units which is already an easy and valid tactic by farming endless monster spawns. An elite and highly experienced unit should cost a lot more than a unit fresh out of the training yard.

September 27, 2013 12:07:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,

Quoting merlinme, reply 52I approve of the low experience for fighting AI; killing AIs is its own award, i.e. that's how you win the game, and with high XP there would be too much of a steamroller effect.

Only one of the victory conditions requires killing AI units.

And this is the one that can't be disabled so it's guaranteed to be in every single game

September 27, 2013 12:30:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,
Only one of the victory conditions requires killing AI units

Well, not really. You can win more or less any way you like if you've eliminated the AIs as a threat. There are some marginal cases when playing on a high difficulty where you might squeak through a Spell of Making or Quest victory with more powerful AIs still playing, or take a Diplomatic victory because you're allied with someone. But most of the time I eliminate the AIs as a threat, and then decide at my leisure how I want to win the game.

September 27, 2013 12:42:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,

Have a unit's wages increase by like 10% per level. I think this change is already necessary, wages are currently pretty meaningless especially if you focus on fewer high power units which is already an easy and valid tactic by farming endless monster spawns. An elite and highly experienced unit should cost a lot more than a unit fresh out of the training yard.

Very interesting. I also think very relevant. Currently troops are the stongest units able to be fielded, and they are the cheapest to maintain. It makes thematic sense that the more vetran units expect more pay to keep them employed. Maybe 10% isn't quite the right figure....but it would do well to add economic pressure to the game and ply players to increase the tax rates now and again.

September 27, 2013 4:07:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting merlinme,
Well, not really. You can win more or less any way you like if you've eliminated the AIs as a threat. There are some marginal cases when playing on a high difficulty where you might squeak through a Spell of Making or Quest victory with more powerful AIs still playing, or take a Diplomatic victory because you're allied with someone. But most of the time I eliminate the AIs as a threat, and then decide at my leisure how I want to win the game.

Ideally it wouldn't work that way at all. The point of multiple victory types is to actually create multiple strategies to win, if you are fighting against a highly aggressive and clearly dominant militaristic enemy it might be wise to bunker up the best you can and try to rush a tech victory before they take over the whole map. If you've already eliminated the AIs as a threat then you've already "won" a military victory, choosing how you end the game at that point is irrelevant. I don't know how well LH has these other victory types implemented, I honestly only ever play with military/alliance victory types in these games, but a non-combat/warfare victory type should be completable without attacking any AIs.

My point with that line anyway was originally going to be that all the other victory types have a snowball effect as well, but I realized some of the issues with the game make that a little iffy. IE if you are going for a tech victory as you do research and pull ahead of everyone else you just get better and better and unlock faster methods of gaining research. If you are going for a master quest victory your objective is killing monsters and doing quests, which give the most exp, so you get better at that exponentially as you go. Doesn't make much sense that the military victory doesn't provide similar rewards for doing what you are supposed to do. Researching makes you better at researching, questing makes you better at questing, killing AIs doesn't really make you better at killing AIs.

September 28, 2013 9:06:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,
Researching makes you better at researching, questing makes you better at questing, killing AIs doesn't really make you better at killing AIs.

But as you kill AI, your troops survived the battle while they lost troops, hence as you kill AI you become stronger and the AI becomes weaker. The increased XP will be just be too much of a snowball effect.

September 28, 2013 1:59:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually I would like to disable "Conquest" as an option to win the game. So if it would be possible to just have full ability to customize the winning possibilities I would be pleased.

Currently not being able to outrule Conquest makes me not want to play

Oh I also would like a mode where only I am in the game, without AI. That would of course mean that Conquest would have to be disabled.

That way one can focus on conquering the land back from the wildlands.

September 28, 2013 6:10:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting N1ghthavvk,

Actually I would like to disable "Conquest" as an option to win the game. So if it would be possible to just have full ability to customize the winning possibilities I would be pleased.

Currently not being able to outrule Conquest makes me not want to play

Oh I also would like a mode where only I am in the game, without AI. That would of course mean that Conquest would have to be disabled.

That way one can focus on conquering the land back from the wildlands.

If you don't want to win via conquest don't attack. Also if you don't want an ai just play on the easier settings. The AI then won't be able to do much to mess with you. 

September 28, 2013 6:53:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
But as you kill AI, your troops survived the battle while they lost troops, hence as you kill AI you become stronger and the AI becomes weaker. The increased XP will be just be too much of a snowball effect.

Completely true, in a 1v1 setting. Playing against 10 AIs though while you spend time and troops fighting one of them, the other 9 are questing and researching. Everyone else pulls ahead of you, because war really is a waste of time currently.

September 28, 2013 6:58:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

...and there was much rejoicing. Thank you Stardock.

Oh... this sounds awesome if it is what I think it is

September 28, 2013 7:34:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

September 29, 2013 5:15:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Derek and Devs, could you make it so when you redefine an existing hero in the Mods directory, ALL properties of that hero are according to the redefinition?  Currently, even when you redefine certain tags related to experience, including <DividesBattleExp>, it just does not work, and you have to edit the core files.

Since you are already making a change for techs, it would be great if you can make a change for Champions too.

September 29, 2013 6:42:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please make diplomacy a worthwhile mechanic and make A.I roleplay its faction somewhat rather than all acting like turncoats at the drop of a hat.

September 29, 2013 11:05:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,

Derek and Devs, could you make it so when you redefine an existing hero in the Mods directory, ALL properties of that hero are according to the redefinition?  Currently, even when you redefine certain tags related to experience, including <DividesBattleExp>, it just does not work, and you have to edit the core files.

Since you are already making a change for techs, it would be great if you can make a change for Champions too.

They already have it working that way. I have a mod that only changes the <DividesBattleExp>, if you would like I will debug your mod and tell you exactly what the problem is with your mod, but the devs already have it that a Unit file is completely overwritten from the mods directory (including champions)

September 29, 2013 5:17:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,

If you don't want to win via conquest don't attack. Also if you don't want an ai just play on the easier settings. The AI then won't be able to do much to mess with you. 

The thing with your idea is simple.

Any AI in my game means, that if it dies to the insane level of power of neutral units in my game which are scattered around the countryside the game is over...

And if it doesn't it steals my precious experience points by killing my neutral camps and doing quests. while also settling land. It might not be much but I would care for such a mode.

September 29, 2013 5:35:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

September 29, 2013 5:56:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm assuming that Slam would affect units that are immune to being knocked prone (such as mounted or large units), unlike Bash.  

September 30, 2013 4:38:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Maybe a map where the AI starts on a small island! 

Yeah I'd like that. Should be big enough for a city. Aaaaand that should be about it.

Hm if he has a city on an island only big enough for just that city tile. And he builds so many units that they overflow his city. Where will the next unit spawn? On the cliff meaning impassable terrain?

September 30, 2013 5:44:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

considering there are no boats/naval units in the base game, this small island scenario had better be a scenario

September 30, 2013 6:24:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting smeagolheart,

considering there are no boats/naval units in the base game, this small island scenario had better be a scenario
but there are the earth3 spells raise land and lower land in the base game, so might not NEED to be a scenario.

harpo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: