[BUG] Killing Vetrar did not open Arctic wildland

By on September 22, 2013 4:27:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FuzzyGold

Join Date 10/2012

Killed Vetrar when he was wandering outside of the wildland.  Cleaned out the wildland but it did not open.

Another problem is Vetrar occupies too many tiles.  Hard to see what is where.  Also Deadly Bite from my Silt Skath did not work even though a regular attack would.

Locked Post 54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 23, 2013 3:21:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Speaking of wandering, I've seen this guy like 50 tiles away from his wildland. I actually passed next to the wildland just as he agro'd onto an AI party, he chased them a couple tiles out, then started chasing my group for like 10 tiles, then I lost track of him. Few dozen turns later I ran into him in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the map.

September 23, 2013 3:31:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He's the "Wander Arounder of Worlds"

http://forums.elementalgame.com/448233/page/1/

September 23, 2013 3:31:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've experienced this too specifically with Vertrar. He is one adventurous fellow.

September 28, 2013 12:00:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is Delin

Go home Delin, you're drunk

September 28, 2013 5:07:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I"ve experienced a similar thing with Obsidian Golems from Imperia wildland, they just love to invade me when I'm using boar spears+Leather armor. In my current game progression I think i got hit by 7 of them but they all got killed anyways. Mainly because they was alone instead of in an army I would've been toast if they came at me in an army. Because 7 imprisons. However this makes invading Imperia a breeze because it will be empty of golems so my weaker armies can conquer imperia for me while my main ones protect me from AI factions.

September 28, 2013 1:41:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

October 4, 2013 7:21:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has anybody heard if this is going to be fixed?  I don't really want to play with this going on. 

October 4, 2013 7:47:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

October 4, 2013 9:07:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Btw, I had a game where My capital was just 20 tiles away from Vetrar at beginning of the game. I held my breath and played. It wandered away from my lands and into Kraxis' lands and terrorized them. And it looked like it was going to keep on wandering away and away so I sent three armies towards Vetrar and kited him back into his wildlands. Took me about 30 turns but vetrar is back in the snowy wildlands where he stayed put until I got a ashwake dragon pet to bring him down very early in the game.

To kite, leave a weakling army just two tiles away from vetrar so that he will want to nom nom on the army of mcnuggets but keep it two tiles away, if Vetrar change his mind and go after something else, chase him until he chases you again then flee again and vice versa.

Rinse and repeat until vetrar is back in the wildlands where you can kill him to guarantee a wildland clear. Oh and don't get your army trapped by rivers, frozen rivers is uncrossable I noticed it just in time lol.

October 4, 2013 9:22:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting shark547, reply 7
Has anybody heard if this is going to be fixed?  I don't really want to play with this going on. 

Noooooo, you should still play the game: it really is a minor problem. Have you tried to kite Vetrar back to his land? Could be fun...

I love this game, but, this really bugs the crap out of me. 

October 4, 2013 11:31:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried kiting him back to his land once, it didn't work.  I got him to move maybe 3 squares then he decided he wanted to sit around there.  I gave it a few more turns and he wouldn't move.   I haven't played a game since, hope the next patch addresses this.  I don't know everything about the AI but I think what's missing in their AI wander code of the bosses is an if statement.   If the next step my algorithm has picked takes me out of my wildland don't go.  That's it.

October 6, 2013 6:47:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

October 6, 2013 7:53:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting smeagolheart,

I haven't played a game since, hope the next patch addresses this.

I would not hold my breath. I reported this in beta (possibly the FE beta, been a while) with screen shots and even got a dev response telling us it wasn't supposed to happen, but it's obviously never been fixed. It's a long standing bug they have been aware of and likely don't have an easy way to fix so they just ignore it.

October 6, 2013 9:50:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Today Torax wandered outside the Lombard Desert and got killed by Ythril.

I killed Ythril to avenge him, got the Tectonic Bulwark then proceed to clear the library in the desert but Torax's Wildland remained, forever... Wildland.

Oh, God, Torax.

In my current game, I cleared the early part, but realized I couldn't beat Torax himself (yet) and since it was a cul-de-sac, I left. So he pouted in the far back corner for half an age, until I was just about ready and sent in a scout who stayed at maximum range, moving forward one square a turn.

Not only did Torax wake up and have his surviving minions chase down and munch the scout (I stopped too soon when I thought I was safe), but my main army only just caught up to him a couple turns later as he was about to leave the wildland entirely. One more turn and I might not have been able to get credit.

October 7, 2013 2:43:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,

Quoting smeagolheart, reply 11

I would not hold my breath. I reported this in beta (possibly the FE beta, been a while) with screen shots and even got a dev response telling us it wasn't supposed to happen, but it's obviously never been fixed. It's a long standing bug they have been aware of and likely don't have an easy way to fix so they just ignore it.

Not sure about that.  It never happened to me until after the last one or two patches.  I think they may have had it figured out at some point.  Hard to say.

October 7, 2013 4:22:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remember a time when they never left their territory, so it may be that they solved the problem, but new code changes brought it back again.

October 7, 2013 7:59:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it might be more the AI changes making the issue more common. AIs might be doing a better job moving around and exploring areas and being smart/aware enough to avoid these bosses when they get close rather than just blindly running into them and dieing. It was back in April ('13) that I last reported this, so not too long ago, and it was rare then and something I only saw a few times. I think the issue has always been that while these bosses are "leashed" to their wildland area, if you get them to chase you outside of the borders a few tiles that breaks the leash and they start to wander around the map. They might not have had much chance of chasing any AI stacks back then because the AI was so dumb and just walked right into them, making the issue more rare, but now the AI avoids being lunch and ends up dragging the bosses out a lot more. Or they fixed it while I wasn't playing and it broke again right before I came back.

October 8, 2013 3:09:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now it's happened a second time.  Vetrar got loose again.

October 8, 2013 3:48:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting shark547,

Quoting Sanati, reply 13

Quoting smeagolheart, reply 11

Not sure about that.  It never happened to me until after the last one or two patches.  I think they may have had it figured out at some point.  Hard to say.

definitely it seems that they wander a whole lot more in the last patch 1.3 than the one before.

October 8, 2013 8:45:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Each of these creatures in the wildlands have a very limited wandering radius (1 or 0). But it seems that these creatures also do not have a lair to dictate a home location so as to not wander too far.

Some mention that others do not wander off their wildland, but these bosses have an actual lair and so the leash appears to be working in these cases. But as for Vetrar and Torax there is no lair for them to be leashed to, so to speak. I wonder if this is the cause of the current bug that people are mentioning.

October 9, 2013 11:58:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would not complain about him wandering.  The problem is that the wildland is not opened when he gets killed.

October 9, 2013 12:18:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FuzzyGold,

I would not complain about him wandering.  The problem is that the wildland is not opened when he gets killed.
I would complain about the wandering, the fool freaking always sacks my cities in the early part of the game.  Not cool bro.

October 11, 2013 8:32:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

October 11, 2013 9:36:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Vetrar leaving the wildland might cause the bug of him not unlocking the wildland. Although I haven't tested it by killing Vetrar in his wildland.

October 11, 2013 9:45:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but, is the problem perhaps that you never entered his land to trigger the quest? If you just found him out wandering and slayed him without having the quest, that would seem likely to not let the quest finish.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time: