Opinion: Bunny Slippers don't Fit. Solution: Please Remove

By on September 5, 2013 9:11:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

XWerewolfX

Join Date 02/2006
+26

Stardock,

I understand that you might think the bunny slippers are "funny" or "cute", but they don't fit in to my idea of the world of Elemental. 

It's one thing to have the my little pony EASTER EGG, as it's an Easter Egg. It's another thing to see the AI running around in pink bunny slippers and to see their characters with a "giant lollipop". Quite frankly, it's dumb and doesn't fit in to the lore and feel of the game. 

If you want people like me to purchase the loot packs, you'll have to avoid stupid sh!t like that. Or provide an option to exclude items like that. I like to imagine each game as a brutal, cutthroat world, much like the Game of Thrones, and to see someone running around with a giant lollipop just ruins it. 

Others have voiced the same concern. Even Adam Solo from Spacesector.com mentions in the comments that he thought it was silly and ill-placed. Please, it cheapens the game and it has lost you this sale. Even though I've purchased nearly every game and every DLC you've pushed out. (you can check my account). You guys can do better than that. 

It's one thing to include things like this as easter eggs. It's an entirely different thing to have this as an item that people can purchase and put on their sovereigns. 

Anyone else care to agree? I wanted to buy this DLC. Until I can have it without the damn lollipop and slippers, I won't pay for it. 

And if you won't, your loss. 

Locked Post 42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 7, 2013 11:16:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

/signed

September 7, 2013 11:33:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Despite my earlier snarky post, I don't like the bunny slippers and really dislike the idea of a giant lollipop for a weapon. I guess since the loot pack didn't appeal to me (even without these items), I was more able to appreciate the humor.

September 7, 2013 3:32:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting coyote303,

Years ago, my orders clerk in the National Guard created a humorous set of phony orders that accidentally got issued as the real thing. Fortunately for us, he and I found out that day that our Colonel had a sense of humor. The Colonel couldn't keep a straight face as he tried to chew us out.

There are certain times in life that you discover if a particular person has--or does not have--a sense of humor. The original post in this thread is such a time!

Coyote, we need details.  You can't just leave us hanging like that.

For the record, If I get this, I'll be modding these gag items out.  I don't mind some of the subtler 'jokes' in the game like the stone mace the size of Procipinee's ego, because that at least fits within the game. 

September 7, 2013 4:00:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glad to see I'm not the only one. 

Please refrain from further gag items, Stardock. If you decide to re-release the Loot Pack with 2 new items to replace these two, I'll buy it. Until then, however, I won't. 

September 7, 2013 5:16:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting stein220,
Coyote, we need details. You can't just leave us hanging like that.

I’m not sure what got us in front of the colonel was as interesting as his reaction, but since you asked…

My orders clerk inspired by a legitimate order that required the soldiers to eat someplace specific while on their temporary duty, created a phony order that required them to also eat their broccoli and to enjoy it. As I said before, we were both very fortunate that the colonel had a sense of humor. Nothing further happened to us beyond the “chewing out” that we received. That and we had to revoke the phony order of course.

September 7, 2013 7:31:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agree with OP.

33 items aren't so many to begin with, and 2 are immersion killers (the others are nice though).

Waiting for the Spells DLC anyway. Right now spells are too few to feel excited about magic.

September 7, 2013 8:17:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like another 8 factions DLC myself

September 7, 2013 8:48:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope we get a monster DLC.

September 7, 2013 9:44:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Totally agree with the original post.  I haven't yet purchased Legendary Heroes (spent so much time customizing my Fallen Enchantress faction that I can't bring myself to switch), but when I finally do, there's no way I'll pay five bucks for this DLC unless it's on sale.  32 or 33 items minus the two joke items (modded out first thing), isn't worth it.  The fact that it includes bunny slippers and giant lollypops just makes the decision whether or not to purchase that much easier.  Not that five bucks is a lot of money - just not worth this DLC.  I wouldn't pay five bucks for a dead vole either.

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor, but when I play a game like this, I'd like a more serious tone. Seeing units running around armed with goofy plastic dog vomit (or whatever) breaks emersion and I personally  find it lame.  When I watch a horror film, I don't want cheesy jokes ruining the suspense, anymore than I want to see tear-jerking drama in a comedy.  Stardock  did the same thing with a lot of the text and dialogue in CalCiv2 and it was not appreciated (not by me anyway).

Those two joke items could have been something cool.  Maybe they should make a silly item DLC pack and sell it separately.  Hope not - I'd much rather they spend their development time making useful content.

September 7, 2013 10:21:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, never imagined that this would be the thread for my first post...

(warning: I did link to TV Tropes, which may be a bit of a faux pas, but the only danger there is to your productivity)

I don't particularly mind the idea of "bunny slippers" - among other things they're a shout out to "No One Lives Forever", one of the greatest FPS of all time - but yeah, I could do without them.

The games that the Elemental franchise hearkens back to - MoM, HoMM, Civ, and to a lesser extent MOO/MOO2, all had their whimsical side - but Elemental seems to be staking out darker and edgier territory, and as such I can see where people are coming from when they see joke items as immersion-breaking.

It won't affect my decision whether or not to get the DLC, since as has been noted it's trivial to mod them away. In fact, there might be a place for them along with a bunch of others in a "comic relief" DLC, for when the grim piled on grim gets to be too much.

September 7, 2013 10:50:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They're in XML, so if you don't like them, you can just turn them off.

September 7, 2013 10:55:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i wouldn't mind a "camp" DLC- with all sorts of campy items like chakrams, Magical School Uniforms, quest to learn a "Slag Slave" spell, and all sorts of campy items, but I suspect you'd end up getting sued for it.

September 7, 2013 11:55:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting elmuneco235,

Wow, never imagined that this would be the thread for my first post...

(warning: I did link to TV Tropes, which may be a bit of a faux pas, but the only danger there is to your productivity)

I don't particularly mind the idea of "bunny slippers" - among other things they're a shout out to "No One Lives Forever", one of the greatest FPS of all time - but yeah, I could do without them.

The games that the Elemental franchise hearkens back to - MoM, HoMM, Civ, and to a lesser extent MOO/MOO2, all had their whimsical side - but Elemental seems to be staking out darker and edgier territory, and as such I can see where people are coming from when they see joke items as immersion-breaking.

It won't affect my decision whether or not to get the DLC, since as has been noted it's trivial to mod them away. In fact, there might be a place for them along with a bunch of others in a "comic relief" DLC, for when the grim piled on grim gets to be too much.

TV tropes is a wonderful website.   The knowledge of the ages is stored within those digital walls.

September 8, 2013 2:59:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A mod that should disable those two items is available at http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/mods/1881.

September 8, 2013 11:52:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting coyote303,

Quoting stein220, reply 28Coyote, we need details. You can't just leave us hanging like that.

I’m not sure what got us in front of the colonel was as interesting as his reaction, but since you asked…

My orders clerk inspired by a legitimate order that required the soldiers to eat someplace specific while on their temporary duty, created a phony order that required them to also eat their broccoli and to enjoy it. As I said before, we were both very fortunate that the colonel had a sense of humor. Nothing further happened to us beyond the “chewing out” that we received. That and we had to revoke the phony order of course.

thanks, I chuckled.

September 8, 2013 8:58:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bunny slippers and a lollipop weapon? I myself am NOT interested in purchasing a DLC that has this kind of garbage in it. It breaks the immersion for me, and even though there are some modders that come up with a work-around, I see NO reason to purchase something that adds additional content, to then turn around and hack out some of the additional content that I payed for. What were they thinking?!? The fluffy items absolutely DO NOT fit the lore that THEY created, yet they feel as thought they should be placed in the game world via paid DLC. Gotta say, it seems like a pretty ridiculous move on their part.

Would it have been so difficult to just add the Saints Row content in a separate DLC of other fluffy stuff... one with a few pin striped suites, a couple of swimming pool floaty accessories, and maybe a pair or two of Top Gun shades. I guess we can expect more DLCs with cool added items, spells and beasts... and maybe nested inside of the lore conforming items, we can find that it will include a Sailor Moon outfit and a large sword shaped like a key to accompany the bunny slippers and lollipop weapon.

Some have called this kind of thing, "part of Stardock's charm"... I find nothing "charming" about it. Personally, I find it somewhat sad. It really takes away from a game that has some VERY interesting content and shine, then turns it into a game with some VERY interesting content and shine... with a big pigeon turd on top. Good job Stardock! I was expecting more... my bad.

Have a blessed day,

-kmkenpo

September 8, 2013 11:24:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

^ Wholeheartedly agree

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: