Opinion: Bunny Slippers don't Fit. Solution: Please Remove

By on September 5, 2013 9:11:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

XWerewolfX

Join Date 02/2006
+26

Stardock,

I understand that you might think the bunny slippers are "funny" or "cute", but they don't fit in to my idea of the world of Elemental. 

It's one thing to have the my little pony EASTER EGG, as it's an Easter Egg. It's another thing to see the AI running around in pink bunny slippers and to see their characters with a "giant lollipop". Quite frankly, it's dumb and doesn't fit in to the lore and feel of the game. 

If you want people like me to purchase the loot packs, you'll have to avoid stupid sh!t like that. Or provide an option to exclude items like that. I like to imagine each game as a brutal, cutthroat world, much like the Game of Thrones, and to see someone running around with a giant lollipop just ruins it. 

Others have voiced the same concern. Even Adam Solo from Spacesector.com mentions in the comments that he thought it was silly and ill-placed. Please, it cheapens the game and it has lost you this sale. Even though I've purchased nearly every game and every DLC you've pushed out. (you can check my account). You guys can do better than that. 

It's one thing to include things like this as easter eggs. It's an entirely different thing to have this as an item that people can purchase and put on their sovereigns. 

Anyone else care to agree? I wanted to buy this DLC. Until I can have it without the damn lollipop and slippers, I won't pay for it. 

And if you won't, your loss. 

Locked Post 42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 5, 2013 9:15:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agree

September 5, 2013 9:34:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sounds like a job for modders

September 5, 2013 9:53:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't mind them

September 5, 2013 10:00:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Whats wrong with a small easter egg item in a game?  Some gamers, just can't please them.....

September 5, 2013 10:26:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They're not easter egg items. I wanted to spend my money. I won't with immersion-breaking items like these....

September 5, 2013 10:27:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

They're not easter egg items. I wanted to spend my money. I won't with immersion-breaking items like these....

must......resist.......urge........for.........sarcasm..........

September 5, 2013 10:35:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

IF THE BUNNY SLIPPERS DON'T FIT, YOU MUST ACQUIT

September 5, 2013 11:00:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davrovana,

IF THE BUNNY SLIPPERS DON'T FIT, YOU MUST ACQUIT

and a +1 for you sir!

September 5, 2013 11:04:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't see the big deal; I'm fine with a few "gag items".  It's only 2 items out of 33, and that's in addition to every other item already in the game.  So I don't expect you'd see these two worn by AI very much, if at all.

However I still haven't purchased this DLC, simply because IMHO it doesn't have enough to make it worth buying.  Compared to the outrageous amounts other companies charge for rubbish DLC, I don't think $5 for 33 new items is that bad.  Just wish it offered a bit more.  This coming from someone who has purchased all DLC for LH until now.

September 5, 2013 11:13:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Years ago, my orders clerk in the National Guard created a humorous set of phony orders that accidentally got issued as the real thing. Fortunately for us, he and I found out that day that our Colonel had a sense of humor. The Colonel couldn't keep a straight face as he tried to chew us out.

There are certain times in life that you discover if a particular person has--or does not have--a sense of humor. The original post in this thread is such a time!

September 6, 2013 1:36:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do you have issues with the pony as well?

Quoting coyote303,

Years ago, my orders clerk in the National Guard created a humorous set of phony orders that accidentally got issued as the real thing. Fortunately for us, he and I found out that day that our Colonel had a sense of humor. The Colonel couldn't keep a straight face as he tried to chew us out.

There are certain times in life that you discover if a particular person has--or does not have--a sense of humor. The original post in this thread is such a time!

Had a similar situation- I wasn't so lucky.

September 6, 2013 2:10:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If your bunny slippers don't fit, removing them is a good option - you could even exchange them for another size.

Similarly, if you think bunny slippers don't fit the game, well, you seem to have missed a number of silly events, but you can cut them out of the code pretty easily I reckon, I don't think the item format is changing.

September 6, 2013 8:44:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well FYIW, I agree with XWerewolfX on this one.  I don't see the need for the joke items myself.  Each to their own I guess.

Will buy the dlc regardless as the other stuff is neat, and I like the fact that the dlc helps fund further work on LH (patches for the core game).

I'll mod them out and and stick a file somewhere to do it if no else does.

September 6, 2013 9:47:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do wish there was an option ingame to control item visibility. Though I suppose the easy answer is to mod them so that they have a different image or remove them entirely.

September 6, 2013 9:57:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I tend to agree with the OP but then I remember who and what Stardock is and then I just smile. It's no big deal to me.

If the AI shows up with bunny slippers and or a lollipop I will make sure he dies for this affront.

September 6, 2013 10:30:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That lollipop is deadly, remember in nature the more bright colors there are the more poisonous the animal is. As for bunny slippers, they are comfy, so why wouldn't you relax and be able to dodge more stuff? Think about this *realistically* before complaining!

September 6, 2013 10:41:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like 'em, but I can see how some folks would like to be able to get rid of 'em without learning to mod.  

September 6, 2013 11:19:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've got something that should work.  abob101 suggests that it should work.

September 6, 2013 11:52:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I reckon that should definitely do it.  Setting the RarityDisplay to Never like you have should stop it being randomly dropped.

September 6, 2013 11:58:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's why I did both Likelihood 0 and Rarity Never.  I know for example that the treasure chest spawned from SnakeOil quest and the other treasure chest quest can do a completely random item, not sure whether this includes all categories or only Common/Uncommon/Rare etc.

September 6, 2013 12:19:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A mod file disabling the two items is available from http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/mods/1881

As I've said, it should remove the items completely.  If an empty item appears, just sell it.

September 6, 2013 12:54:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will throw my voice here as well, agreed with op.

September 6, 2013 11:55:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i like fun stuff and the immersion, but i do need a break at times. just finding the slippers in my size may be hard....

September 7, 2013 10:04:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also agree with the OP. I went ahead and bought the loot pack to help support the game, but here is my problem with the bunny slippers.

1) They break game immersion for me. As mentioned earlier it's a dark and apocalyptic game world. Bunny slippers and giant lollipops just don't give me that feel. I would rather only have serious items. I came across the my little pony gag, and it was less obvious. Still slightly irritating but not nearly as much as this. The giant lollipop reminds me more of Wreck-it Ralph than fallen enchantress. It's hard to imagine my character is really locked in a struggle to rebuild this broken world when he/she is wearing bunny slippers and is carrying a giant lollipop.

2) They don't match the narrative tone of the other items in the game. It'd be like watching a Game of Thrones, and then instead of having the red wedding happen the way it currently did in the TV show, instead it turned into a Monty Pythonesq food fight with wacky music, etc. It'd be like watching Schindler's List, and then half-way through the movie the characters start busting out broadway showtunes. It'd be like watching Aliens, and during the last major pitched battle when the aliens busted through the ceiling, instead of the battle, the aliens busted through the ceiling wearing party hats, and had a birthday party for Ripley.

3) Those two items had an opportunity cost. No matter how many expansions, patches and DLCs that StarDock produces for the game, there will still be a finite amount of items, quests, heroes, buildings, etc. Each time a gag appears in the game, it resulted in the loss of some production time on a real item. Maybe if stardock didn't make the bunny slippers and giant lollipop, it wouldn't have resulted in a new pair of boots and battle axe, but maybe there would have been one more serious item.

4) If they are joke items, they should be funny right? Well, I didn't get a laugh out of them. I think if you wanted to have a joke item you could have made them funnier. I'm sure there could have been a funnier item. Maybe one so humorous, that I would laugh, guffaw, nearly cry because I laughed so hard, and then forgive the complaints listed above and move on.

Granted this isn't the first time that there has been "humor" in either this game or stardock products. However, I think you guys are far better at crafting serious worlds than telling jokes. That's why I keep coming back to your games, because the serious parts are really enjoyable. Most of the time I see something "funny" in a stardock game (well just galciv and elemental) it feels like it came out of a copy of "101 bad jokes my Dungeons and Dragons Game Master told me." Sigh. 

I grudgingly gave you my 4.99 for this loot pack today since I'm worried that this will be see as support for more joke items. No this money is support for the 31 more serious items and the game in general. Though, even 33 items seems a little light. An even 50, with more of a spread across the power spectrum, and no joke items would have made me 95% satisfied. Right now I'm around 70-75% satisfied.

I saw somebody else suggest suggest a Muchkin power pack DLC full of joke items. If you must do joke, silly and the zaniest items around, I'd rather you do it like that. However, before you make that, remember my complaint number 3, opportunity cost.

If anyone from stardock reads this, please take this as constructive criticism. Seeing as how I paid money for the loot pack, I feel like I can give you feedback on what would improve future DLCs, making my purchases more likely. 

September 7, 2013 10:48:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am not upset about them, and I do love gags and gag items to a point.  I did just get them in a game, though, and did find it immersion breaking.  I can just go ahead and sell them if I want.  That's not a problem, but yeah I can understand how jarring it would be to see them on an opponent.  Not that I pay that much attention to opponent look other than "That looks neat."  However, once I noticed, it might get hard to un-notice.

Ah well, if it gets too bad I will just have to find one of those mods.   Nice try, Stardock, but you missed a bunch of people's funny bones this time.  Hope the ones that do find it funny get a big laugh.  It probably deserves it.

The game is still great though......  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001125   Page Render Time: